PDA

View Full Version : TW-01 Hegemon

Prowl
13th January 2012, 10:13 PM
Just saw this baby & it looks like finally a proper g1 accurate Megatron is coming out. Sorely tempted already to place a preorder.

http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=Category&II=TW01&lang=us&CatID=55_63

Tallestblue
13th January 2012, 10:35 PM
...it's....it's Beautiful...

loophole
13th January 2012, 11:10 PM
it is very tempting, would like to see a pic of him next to classics prime first though

kaiden
13th January 2012, 11:21 PM
from what photo's i've seen of it online, its pretty much out of scale with everything :p

Prowl
13th January 2012, 11:23 PM
from what photo's i've seen of it online, its pretty much out of scale with everything :p

Forget scale this looke like the Megatron I wanted to be as a kid!

I still want to be Megatron :(

kaiden
13th January 2012, 11:54 PM
Forget scale this looke like the Megatron I wanted to be as a kid!

I still want to be Megatron :(

but he can't be megatron without optimus prime. I do quite like this 3rd party release except for his black legs... those just look wrong on him XD

Lord_Zed
14th January 2012, 02:28 AM
Wow, that's actually looking rather nice. Very tempting indeed.

it is very tempting, would like to see a pic of him next to classics prime first though

Judging by the pic of him and MP Prime, he should be pretty close in stature to Voyager Classics Prime.

VERT
14th January 2012, 08:13 AM
Robot kingdom has him for a June pre Order I found out yesterday!. G1 Megatron is my all time No 1 Bot EVER!! So yeah this I will be getting. :D

kup
14th January 2012, 11:26 AM
When I first saw the prototypes I was somewhat uninterested.

Now that I have seen the final, I am indeed very tempted to get it. However the $100 price mark does seem steep.

Hursticon
14th January 2012, 01:07 PM
I was really taken back by how many marks this figure managed to hit correctly :eek:, all I need to see (Like many others) is a height comparison with Classics Optimus Prime and if it's good? - Then I'll be pre-ordering as it'll be an excellent self Birthday present if it arrives in June. ;):D
(My current Classics Megatron isn't looking terribly happy at the moment :p)

The_Damned
14th January 2012, 03:39 PM
how accurate is the alt mode and i wonder if there will be any trouble importing him?

VERT
14th January 2012, 04:06 PM
Well yes will cross my fingers and hope for the best for importing. He is as tell as TF Prime Voyager Optimus. From what I have seen. Just a little larger than Classics Prime. That to me is perfect :D

Prowl
14th January 2012, 05:00 PM
how accurate is the alt mode and i wonder if there will be any trouble importing him?

There is no way they could ban this surely?

http://www.robotkingdom.com/images/products/thumb/TW01%5B2%5D.jpg

Hursticon
14th January 2012, 06:48 PM
There is no way they could ban this surely?

*snip*

Robot mode FTW? :o
That worked for getting my G1 Megatron (Mint/Loose/Complete) shipped over here from the states - Seller hadn't transformed it in 20 years and said he did the best he could considering. :p

primatives
14th January 2012, 07:49 PM
this looks like it would fit in the Classics shelf perfectly for me!!!!

Also it is said to be 1kg or soemthing wonder if it will have diecast and from the pics it looks like its really good quality, very flush and straight lines and paint apps look great!!

Lord_Zed
14th January 2012, 08:24 PM
When I first saw the prototypes I was somewhat uninterested.

Now that I have seen the final, I am indeed very tempted to get it. However the $100 price mark does seem steep.

I had a similar impression of the toy when I first saw it.

If its roughly voyager size, and comes with accessories I'd say it is better priced than The TF Club Hercules figures and several others. And it seems to me that most third party items are typically sold for at least double what Hasbro would charge for a similar priced item. Admittedly though Megatron is hardly a rare character to find a toy of.

It is steep though, but so was Battle Tanker.

I think I am going to have to stop collecting actual official TF's just to afford some of these 3rd party toys.

ITZTRU
14th January 2012, 08:27 PM
I'm just dying to throw a Decepticon insignia sticker on that chest of his!

ITZTRU
14th January 2012, 08:33 PM
...oh, and being a "cartoon accurate" guy myself, the unmistakable "red square" and "blue circle" under his chest would have been a nice touch too, IMO.

kup
14th January 2012, 09:19 PM
How final are these shots? Maybe they are still to add some detailing like in the the abdomen.

I am not fond of the sword as it looks as if he is holding a tree leave or something but that is minor.

When it comes to customs, I think it's low risk. Although technically all 'P-38' gun Megatrons are banned, they have only really enforced it with MP-5. I don't know of any incident of a G1 Megatron being confiscated for example.

jaydisc
14th January 2012, 10:30 PM
Worst comparison photos ever.

lcz128
14th January 2012, 11:40 PM
I don't know of any incident of a G1 Megatron being confiscated for example.
You do now. I had mine confiscated when u bought an encore one several years ago via f2f. At least I got the rest of the contents of my box eventually. The policeman I ended up having to speak to was a tad short in his demeanor but totally understandable. He was doing his job. (:

I would like this, but he doesn't scale well at all. Poop

kup
15th January 2012, 01:34 AM
You do now. I had mine confiscated when u bought an encore one several years ago via f2f. At least I got the rest of the contents of my box eventually. The policeman I ended up having to speak to was a tad short in his demeanor but totally understandable. He was doing his job. (:

I would like this, but he doesn't scale well at all. Poop

Wow! first time I hear of it. I actually know of 5 people who imported G1 book reissues during the time when MP5 came out and they had no problems. I based my comment on that.

Hursticon
15th January 2012, 01:58 AM
Wow! first time I hear of it. I actually know of 5 people who imported G1 book reissues during the time when MP5 came out and they had no problems. I based my comment on that.

So evidently Customs has been told to focus on the "Big Guns" huh? :p:D

kup
16th January 2012, 10:12 AM
Since this is a completely unproven new 3rd party company, I have been studying the latest pictures of the Hegemon figure in order to work out it's quality and any possible flaws. Since it's priced at $100 it is a bit of a leap of faith to buy without some consideration.

I came accross this picture which is causing me concern:

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1326382060_06-600x600.jpg
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1326382060_06-600x600.jpg

As you can see, the elbows seem to be ratcheting joints made of red clear plastic. This is a huge concern as clear plastic by nature is more brittle and ratcheting joint by the way they work, put a lot of stress on the plastic.

Two things I can see going wrong with this choice of plastic for a moving joint:

1. Eventually the gear teeth of the joints will wear out causing Megatron to have a floppy arm.

2. The stress of the ratchet will cause the elbow joint to crack and chatter - This is the more probable scenario.

There is also the possibility that they are not ratcheting joints but pressure joints like ball joints. This is just as bad as clear plastic lacks the flexibility to allow the stress of ball/socket motion.

I hope that it's just a trick of the light and the elbows are actually solid red pieces but it doesn't look that way.

SuspectimusPrime
21st January 2012, 01:56 AM
As you can see, the elbows seem to be ratcheting joints made of red clear plastic. This is a huge concern as clear plastic by nature is more brittle and ratcheting joint by the way they work, put a lot of stress on the plastic.

This is the biggest concern for me as well.

Been burnt once by MasterMind Creation's Knight Morpher Commander.
I watched a YouTube review before buying, where the seller noted an odd quirk in the LEFT shoulder connector piece - for some bizarre reason they chose blue translucent plastic for a connector piece, which snapped for the YouTube reviewer. Same happened to me, despite being patient and using only gentle nudges. Quite disappointing for an $100 acquisition.
Knight Morpher has been transformed twice, and now sleeps in his packaging in a very secure 50L container.

kup
21st January 2012, 09:59 AM
This is the biggest concern for me as well.

Been burnt once by MasterMind Creation's Knight Morpher Commander.
I watched a YouTube review before buying, where the seller noted an odd quirk in the LEFT shoulder connector piece - for some bizarre reason they chose blue translucent plastic for a connector piece, which snapped for the YouTube reviewer. Same happened to me, despite being patient and using only gentle nudges. Quite disappointing for an $100 acquisition.
Knight Morpher has been transformed twice, and now sleeps in his packaging in a very secure 50L container.

I heard about the 1st release issues with Knight Morpher. I only bought the 2nd release which has all those issues ironed out and I am very happy with it.

Clear plastic should always be decorative, not functional. It is not able to sustain much pressure and lacks flexibility.

Hursticon
21st January 2012, 02:15 PM
Clear plastic should always be decorative, not functional. It is not able to sustain much pressure and lacks flexibility.

Yep, you're dead right there dude as it's been demonstrated by both 1st and 3rd parties alike. ;):cool:

1AZRAEL1
23rd January 2012, 07:57 PM
Still tempted on the figure though, don't know how much tempted lol

Gutsman Heavy
23rd January 2012, 07:59 PM
I'll wait for reviews, dat clear plastic worries me.

Sutton
19th June 2012, 12:14 PM
Got mine this morning. The parcel was intercepted by Australian customs for 24 hours but wasn't even opened, so I guess that means he's all good to import to Oz (never mind that you could probably rob a bank much more successfully with this guy than with the comically oversized MP Megatron). He's pretty damn cool, and I'd certainly mirror the positive comments on other boards so far. The orange cap fell off on it's own

My only little niggles so far are as follows.

Firstly, there's already a tiny bit of plastic stress on the ball joint socket for the waist flap thingies. The ball pops out very easily which makes transformation a bit of a pain. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

Another issue is that the tabs used for gun mode (of which there are many) are a little bit too snug. It was very hard to get this guy lined up just nicely and took a lot of force to get it to stick together. This will probably be a good thing over time, as the tabs should hold together tighter for longer this way. But it does make one nervous when handling a $100+ toy with that much force. But MP Megatron's tabs snapped for most people the first time they transformed him

Some joints are a little looser than I'd like, the arm cannon in particular swivels a little too easily. Not enough to wreck poseability but it will move very easily if bumped. The main weight bearing joints are good however.

I like that the muzzle, trigger and scope can all be removed for transformation and/or display. The option is there not to cheat for purists but it does make it a lot easier just to take them all off. The muzzle being off can bend over on his back out of view to make better room for his right arm to move.

I would also like to have seen a bit more weight on the stock, at the back end in particular. It's not enough counter balance to keep the gun upright on it's own, which is a shame because the gun mode is cool enough to warrant displaying on it's own. Pivoting the gun on the stock works, but looks a little odd.

The clear plastic elbows don't annoy me anywhere near as much as I thought they would, btw. I'll probably still paint them at some point but they're fine for now. The light piping to his eyes is wonderfully vibrant. I usually paint in blue or red eyes for my classics figures since there's rarely a light source behind the shelf, but Hegemon's eyes seem to catch the light really easily.

Overall I would recommend this guy to anyone looking for the best G1 Megatron available to date. Yes, he trumps MP Megs for me since he achieves both modes well, the robot mode is near perfect, whereas MP Megs was an anorexic mess. Hegemon even uses far less 'cheaty' strut transformation techniques (second only to parts-forming in my opinion).

Sutton
19th June 2012, 12:14 PM
I put some crappy pics up over at TFW...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/590325-toyworld-hegemon-final-product-66.html#post7897959

SuspectimusPrime
19th June 2012, 09:16 PM
Hey Sutton, very interested in your observations!

Got mine this morning. The parcel was intercepted by Australian customs for 24 hours but wasn't even opened, so I guess that means he's all good to import to Oz (never mind that you could probably rob a bank much more successfully with this guy than with the comically oversized MP Megatron). He's pretty damn cool, and I'd certainly mirror the positive comments on other boards so far. The orange cap fell off on it's own

Does it come packaged in robot mode?

Firstly, there's already a tiny bit of plastic stress on the ball joint socket for the waist flap thingies. The ball pops out very easily which makes transformation a bit of a pain. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

What sort of plastic are the ball joint sockets and the ball joints themselves?

Another issue is that the tabs used for gun mode (of which there are many) are a little bit too snug. It was very hard to get this guy lined up just nicely and took a lot of force to get it to stick together. This will probably be a good thing over time, as the tabs should hold together tighter for longer this way. But it does make one nervous when handling a $100+ toy with that much force. But MP Megatron's tabs snapped for most people the first time they transformed him

How easy/difficult is it to get those tabs apart?

Some joints are a little looser than I'd like, the arm cannon in particular swivels a little too easily. Not enough to wreck poseability but it will move very easily if bumped. The main weight bearing joints are good however.

Can the joints mentioned be adjusted to be tighter?

VERT
19th June 2012, 11:33 PM
Mine was posted the other day. Im kinda stressed about him arriving okay. Glad yours made it.

Sutton
20th June 2012, 07:01 PM
I'm sure most of the loose joints could be rectified with a bit of nail polish or whatever. None of them are deal breakers. A few people are reporting issues with the left leg not extending fully after transformation.

The tabs are really hard to line up and push in, but mine is made harder by the ball joint wanting to pop out all the time. Once in gun mode he's pretty sturdy, although the weight of the silencer makes the muzzle prone to flopping.

Sutton
20th June 2012, 07:06 PM
Yes, he comes packaged in robot mode, and the packaging has NO pics of the gun mode whatsoever. In fact, the orange plug is the give away that he turns into a gun at all.

I'm not sure under what law customs could hold this guy to be honest. It's not a replica firearm like MP Megs was. There's far more realistic kid's guns available in shops locally than this guy. But we're all a bit nervous after the MP5 debacle, I guess (which I also imported with no hassles).

From what I recall, customs picked up on MP5 shipments based on the silhouette of the metal parts of the toy, so they could see it was him without needing to open the package. Hegemon is all plastic so it would be hard for them to do that. Plus it's a much more niche, limited run than MP was. The danger is that some idiot officer will open the parcel to check, and think that it is MP Megatron :rolleyes:

Sutton
20th June 2012, 07:14 PM
What sort of plastic are the ball joint sockets and the ball joints themselves?

Standard plastic. It's not the (worrisome) red stuff that the elbows have. Couldn't tell you what type of plastic specifically or it's chemical composition :D Feels similar to the FP Bruticus stuff, not so much like the FP Insecticon stuff. It's got that slight 'powdery' feel, but in a high-quality sort of way.

The red elbow plastic does seem quite soft, the joints it plugs into are standard black plastic but I have doubts for the strength of the joint over time. It is only for posing purposes however, not transformation, and the elbows can't extend past 180 degrees, so worst case scenario is that he won't be able to hold a bent elbow pose. This is mainly a worry for the cannon arm since it has more weight to hold. I'm sure the right arm will be perfectly fine.

kup
22nd June 2012, 12:08 AM
I am really tired to do a proper review of Hegemon at the moment but I did take several pics.

I will write something detailed tomorrow but for those wondering - He has some flaws but is certainly worth it! :)

Here is a sample pic:

http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon3.JPG

VERT
22nd June 2012, 05:26 PM
This made my day! Was worried then I got the one saying in transit :D:D:D

Date # Location Delivery Status
18-Jun-2012 Hong Kong Item posted and is being processed.
18-Jun-2012 Hong Kong In transit.
19-Jun-2012 Hong Kong Processed for departure.
19-Jun-2012 Hong Kong The item left Hong Kong for its destination on 20-Jun-2012
21-Jun-2012 Australia Arrived and is being processed.
22-Jun-2012 Australia Pending customs inspection.
22-Jun-2012 Australia In transit.

Lord_Zed
24th June 2012, 07:22 PM
I managed to take my Hegemon out today and have a play, still early days though.

First thoughts are I'll go with the consensus that he is good but he does have flaws.

My limited observations thus far.

On the pro side he is really nice looking in robot mode, this company has it's own aesthetic different to the others. They have really captured Megatrons bulk and power in this toy he looks like a real ex-gladiator Decepticon powerhouse, even Henkei Megs seems spry and thin compared to this guy. He doesn't have the same mecha aesthetics that Fansproject and Perfect Effect but Still very nice. I particularly like the face sculpt. His alt mode is better than expected too. Articulation is decent but not spectacular. His transformation is pretty nice too, all save for those damn hip panels.

On the cons side as has been said the plastic does not feel as nice as many other 3rd parties. For some reason it reminds me of some of the stuff Hasbro used during Beast Wars, but I could be wrong. Mine is also a little loose in a few joints, namely the swivel joint that attaches to this fusion cannon, this could have been solved with a extra tab to lock it in place on his arm, but oh well, it is strong enough for display. The biggest weakness of the toy in my mind are the ball jointed panel pieces on the hips, they seem to pop out of the ball socket easily which makes the transformation a little frustrating.

Overall I'm pretty happy though. I don't think Hegemon is quite as polished as the more established third parties like FP and PE however from the standpoint of a first release from a new company he is quite impressive.

kup
25th June 2012, 02:06 AM
Finally got some time to write this!

At long last we are beginning to receive Hegemon and although it does indeed have flaws, they do not deter too much from the figure despite it's high cost. For me, it is certainly the most accurate representation of the G1 Megatron character model as well as being very competently designed.

As it has already been said, this toy does not have as nice quality plastic as FansProject and overall is more comparable to that of a standard Hasbro toy which isn't exactly great but it is adequate. The plastic is not a dull, lite Hasbro grey but it is a 'flat' grey rather than having a nice metallic finish like the Masterpiece. The plastic also has that strange 'swirl' on the surface as seen in some of the Beast Wars and newer figures (as recent as Generations) that has that dark grey.

Robot Mode:

At first the figure does seem rather dull looking due to the dominant grey color which gives you a bit of an initial boring perception of Hegemon. However once it's out of the package, it really does 'come alive'. The poseability is fantastic and much more versatile than the Classics and Masterpiece toys when it comes to dynamic poses. He does have some restrictions given the panels that just hang from his waist but thankfully they can be moved around as they are on swiveled ball joints. The ratcheting joints can also be restrictive due to the lack of smooth movement but they are no where near as bad as Classics Megatron and the poseable feet compensates for that.

He does have a couple of notable flaws and they are associated with the clear elbow joints that we did identify as an issue early on - The elbow swivel 'disc' joint is loose but as Zed mentioned, they are not so loose that they prevent you from posing the toy. However they are 'border line' to that so I can see them becoming an issue later on unless the disc joint is re-enforced.

The other similar associated issue with the joint which is not a problem as of now but I can see it becoming a problem later is the ratchet for the elbows. The 'gear' holding this joint is part of the clear plastic elbow and I can see that being 'sanded' down over time as the joint is used, specially since clear plastic is more prone to wear than regular plastic on a pressure joint. Fortunately the clear red plastic appears thicker than the standard Hasbro clear plastic but I am still not confident on it's long term durability.

Accessories:

Some 3rd parties have made themselves well known due to clever use of accessories such as FansProject but specially PerfectEffect. Hegemon does come with a nice set of weapons but they are nowhere as clever or original as the other 3rd parties but despite that, they are still decent and do the job for the most part.

The Energon weapons such as the flail and sword are much more impressive in person than the photos we have seen. They are of this very rich clear dark violet which has a nice 'crystalline' look to it. The flail chain is made of metal and looks very nice but I would have preferred a slightly longer chain but this is till better than the ridiculousness that was the MP-5 flail chain length.

As you can see by the picture bellow, Hegemon looks very impressive equipped with the Energon weapons and certainly helps to brighten him up:

http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon6.JPG

Unfortunately the pieces that would form the gun extensions are pretty much useless in robot mode. Unlike G1 (or Masterpiece 3rd party extensions), you can't assemble the parts into a big canon for Hegemon to use in robot mode but only serve as a form of stand for weapon storage. This is a little disappointing but not a deal breaker as it doesn't really take away from the rest of the toy. The silencer attachment seems to be of no use in robot mode.

Having said the above, I am not completely certain if there are any more uses for the gun extensions than weapon storage so if anyone knows something please let us know.

The scope is fairly straight forward and not that different to G1 in which you can see through it but similar to the Classics/Henkei Megatron as it has a red clear plastic 'lens' within but it is not really functional.

Robot Mode Pics

Hegemon with Henkei Megatron:
http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon4.JPG

Hegemon with MP-05 Masterpiece Megatron (MP chain has been shortened from default):
http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon5.JPG

Transformation to Gun Mode:

Something that I found very impressive on this toy is the engineering in it's transformation. It is a bit of a clever mixture between that of the Classics/Henkei and Masterpiece toy. They seem to have picked up the best from both designs and compensated for the flaws by applying their own unique and very clever engineering.

I will highlight some of the notable engineering:

The chest piece disconnects from the waist and re-positions very similarly to that of Classics while one of the arms is handled similarly to G1/MP by 'popping off' from the shoulder but they add completely unique engineering which allows it to 'swing' from the right side of the body to the left so it can join with the other arm and form the back of the gun similar to G1/MP. This can be little tricky as it is unusual but once you get the hang of it, it is very easy. This new design gets rid of that back metal 'T' frame that the G1 and MP Megatrons share which can make the transformation a bit awkward.

The legs are fairly straight forward as you just turn and join the together. Then you just push them into the gun body as the legs are 'telescopic'. To finish off, you just tidy them up by covering some exposed bits with the waist panels.

As Zed mentioned, nuisances during transformation are the waist/gun handle panels that have a tendency to pop off during transformation which is annoying. Another problem is that the barrel of the gun also has a tendency to pop off while transforming. However they are not major issues and they do not appear too fragile to break.

Overall a very clever and relatively fun transformation. It is also fairly fast with non of the frustrations associated with the Masterpiece design. Certainly the most cleverly engineered gun 'Megatron' to date. I would say that this is probably the design that they should have done for the Masterpiece, at least for the upper body and waist as it is complex without being frustrating and it gets the job done.

Gun Mode:

The gun mode is not as accurate to the real thing as G1 or Masterpice but it still looks like a somewhat realistic Walther P38 inspired gun. Although the gun mode still shows robot kibble like Megatron's 'belly' it is subtle enough not to be immediately noticed as it blends in with the rest of the barrel/trigger assembly.

The gun handle is probably the biggest inaccuracy and 'give away' that this is a toy. It is rather square and not as orthopedic looking as the gun handles on G1/MP but it doesn't deter too much from the overall look. I can understand the decisions as this is the compromise made in order to give the robot mode proportionate thicker legs. This was probably done due to much of the criticism towards MP-05 being about the thin disproportionate legs. However despite the 'square' handle, it is still comfortable enough to hold in your hand.

The gun mode is very clever and nicely done. The way that a fairly hefty robot managed to transform into such a sleek gun with minimal to no kibble really shows how excellently engineered this toy is.

The only complaint that I would have is that the trigger does not click! :confused:

When it comes to the gun extensions, the barrel assembly attaches by pulling apart the silencer. When you remove the tip of it's barrel, the silencer splits in two which you can then reassemble on the gun. It is straight forward and you don't necessarily have to dis-assemble the silencer to attach it but it is the recommended method on the instructions.

Unfortunately the gun handle attachment (the weapon stand) is not that well executed. It attaches by pegging into holes under the gun handle which is a new and not a bad way of doing so but the overall look of the shoulder rest is a little bad and looses a lot of realism. I understand that the shoulder rest was compromised so that the extension can also serve as a weapons stand in robot mode but even that wasn't that clever and certainly not worth affecting the look of it as a gun extension. Despite this, it also seems as if even with the extension serving as a weapons stand, they could have done better by just adding a few more joints to better shape the shoulder rest but maybe they ran out of budget.

The shoulder rest extension is probably the biggest flaw on this set for me as it serves little purpose for robot mode and yet they compromised it's primary function as a gun extension for it.

Gun mode pics

Megatron Gun Comparisons:
http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon1.JPG

Masterpice, Hegemon and G1 gun modes with extensions:
http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon2.JPG

More pictures:

http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon3.JPG

http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon7.JPG

http://kupscigar.com/collection2012/hegemon/hegemon8.JPG

VERT
25th June 2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the review Kup. Im still waiting around the house for the post truck to show.

kup
25th June 2012, 01:30 PM
Some Awesome Hegemon photography from TJ Duckett at TFW:

Source: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-reviews/618600-kuma-style-video-pictoral-review-toy-world-tw-01-hegemon.html

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8022/7420616376_4d5402c7d8_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8142/7420717352_3d8ce82143_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5455/7420717196_da17a99170_o.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8142/7421092456_935c815d64_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5156/7421092712_8d8713af7e_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7261/7437302596_68e7f70776_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5279/7421092580_c57b79567c_o.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5195/7437303410_a6a32ec283_b.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5458/7420770510_cf1c577784_b.jpg

Lord_Zed
25th June 2012, 08:20 PM
Hegemons light piping is pretty impressive too, takes me back to the days when Hasbro could do that well.

On a side note that custom Shockwave is pretty nice too.

I have no idea what this company will do next (if anything) but given the way Hegemon turned out I'd like to see them try Shockwave. They managed to really capture Meg's bulk while keeping a decent gun mode. Surely they could do the same for Shockwave.

SuspectimusPrime
25th June 2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the review, Kup. I think the following picture did it for me - it's like looking at a Christian Bale Batman standing next to an Adam West Batman :)

Robot Mode Pics

Hegemon with Henkei Megatron:

VERT
26th June 2012, 12:10 PM
My Megs arrived today. Lots of stress but he made it. He even had a visit with Aus Customs. They inspected and opened the box and sent him on his way to me. But first they included a love letter saying he passed.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/VERTYSNAP/megatrongun.jpg
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/VERTYSNAP/megatronbotwithletter.jpg

kup
26th June 2012, 01:24 PM
I don't think they identified it as a gun since TW was smart enough not to have any indication on the box of what Hegemon transforms into.

They probably opened him just because he does resemble MP-05 which is illegal but when they realized this wasn't it, they allowed it to go through....or it could have just been a random inspection.

ITZTRU
26th June 2012, 02:08 PM
I don't think they identified it as a gun since TW was smart enough not to have any indication on the box of what Hegemon transforms into.

They probably opened him just because he does resemble MP-05 which is illegal but when they realized this wasn't it, they allowed it to go through....or it could have just been a random inspection.

Could be that...or maybe the undeniable shape of a gun trigger gaping on the robots back when passing through x rays?

kup
26th June 2012, 07:14 PM
Could be that...or maybe the undeniable shape of a gun trigger gaping on the robots back when passing through x rays?

I am not sure if it would show clearly with all the robot stuff around it on an X-ray machine but it is certainly a strong probability.

liegeprime
26th June 2012, 11:19 PM
So Vert's got inspected, Suttons too but not opened... did yours get inspected as well kup?

btw where did guys get the figure, RK? price?

VERT
26th June 2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah mine came from RK. The other thing thats a give away is the Gun scope and Silencer. No trouble seeing what they look like in an x-ray. Just so glad he made it.

VERT
26th June 2012, 11:26 PM
Kup did yours come with any instructions etc? Mine had nothing with it.

Lord_Zed
27th June 2012, 12:20 AM
Mine had instructions, and a Takaraish character card.

VERT
27th June 2012, 08:03 AM
Mine had instructions, and a Takaraish character card.

Well that sucks. I just looked at a review on youtube. So not a big problem. Its the figure that counts :D

kup
27th June 2012, 09:02 AM
Kup did yours come with any instructions etc? Mine had nothing with it.

Yep, mine came with instructions too and a collector card with stats.

SuspectimusPrime
27th June 2012, 07:36 PM
Well that sucks. I just looked at a review on youtube. So not a big problem. Its the figure that counts :D

Did they actually remove the figure from the toy's box?

Maybe that's why you're missing instructions and the bio card?

VERT
27th June 2012, 08:46 PM
No they opened the box it was posted in. The figure was not touched. :-)

Deceptic_Optic
27th June 2012, 10:01 PM
mine arrived today

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz231/Deceptic_Optics_2010/b435d432.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz231/Deceptic_Optics_2010/21508a67.jpg

liegeprime
28th June 2012, 01:32 AM
Hmm so it's a bit taller than classics Prime ei? Still an awesome looking figure. What's the price tag on this figure and is it available via bbts.. I just don't like RK atm.

5FDP
28th June 2012, 08:47 AM
Don't usually comment on 3rd party products but this does look good. My only gripe with it would be the molding on the right side of his chest. They all appear to have that defect which kinda ruins the visual aspect a bit.

kup
28th June 2012, 09:17 AM
Don't usually comment on 3rd party products but this does look good. My only gripe with it would be the molding on the right side of his chest. They all appear to have that defect which kinda ruins the visual aspect a bit.

It's not the molding as the surface of the plastic is flat like the rest of the chest. It is actually that odd surface 'swirl' that you see in metallic looking plastic, very similar to that which Hasbro uses.

Yeah, I don't like it either and it did annoy me at first but I quickly got over it given how excellently designed the rest of the figure is.

darockk
28th June 2012, 11:40 AM
Yeah i wish it was possible to choose your own figure as you do in shop shelves as you can choose one with no imperfections in the chest paint.

Having been stung with customs on mp05, i think i'll wait for a local seller to have this one. If anyone has bought this figure and wants to off load it in good condition, PM me :)

Sutton
29th June 2012, 12:32 PM
Stumbled across a good use for the stock and silencer today. Everything tabs in really nicely, as if they meant to do it...

kup
29th June 2012, 02:30 PM
Stumbled across a good use for the stock and silencer today. Everything tabs in really nicely, as if they meant to do it...

That is sweet! I will try it when I get home tonight.

kup
29th June 2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah i wish it was possible to choose your own figure as you do in shop shelves as you can choose one with no imperfections in the chest paint.

They all seem have it. The way the plastic is injected on the mold causes a bit of a swirl in that area; as mentioned, it isn't something you can 'feel' on the plastic as it is flat, it is just the pattern of the plastic surface, not really paint. So if this was retail, every single figure would have the same defect at varying degrees.

Sutton
29th June 2012, 05:47 PM
They all seem have it. The way the plastic is injected on the mold causes a bit of a swirl in that area; as mentioned, it isn't something you can 'feel' on the plastic as it is flat, it is just the pattern of the plastic surface, not really paint. So if this was retail, every single figure would have the same defect at varying degrees.

And honestly, it's not that bad - certainly not as bad as a lot of Hasbro's offerings in recent years.

Besides, if this guy was too awesome, he wouldn't look right on the classics shelf...

kup
29th June 2012, 07:47 PM
And honestly, it's not that bad - certainly not as bad as a lot of Hasbro's offerings in recent years.

Besides, if this guy was too awesome, he wouldn't look right on the classics shelf...

Yeah, putting the cost aside, this sort of 'defect' is not uncommon with Hasbro figures.

Paulbot
29th June 2012, 08:02 PM

They probably did mean it, since G1 Megatron's accessories combine into a manned gun in a very similar way (but it's not something you see often).

Sutton
29th June 2012, 08:07 PM
If we're talking about size as a measure of value for money (which is not that important to me but anyway), this guy is quite a bit bigger than a contemporary Hasbro voyager which retails at $50 or so. Add to that the stock and silencer and you've got a roughly ultra-sized figure ($60-$70) for $100 - the extra $30 seems a reasonable fee to get your hands on the best G1 Megatron you'll likely ever get for your classics collection.

Compared to the Perfect Effect Reflector, TFC Constructicons and FP Insecticons, this guy is very well priced. I'm not sure if this is because they're trying to be more competitive being their first release or perhaps it's the slightly cheaper plastic.

Either way, I don't have the same sense of embarrassment revealing the price I paid for him to friends that I sometimes have with my other 3rd party figures.

Sutton
29th June 2012, 08:08 PM
They probably did mean it, since G1 Megatron's accessories combine into a manned gun in a very similar way (but it's not something you see often).

Seems odd not to promote the manned gun in any way given how snug it all goes together. Certainly better than have the pieces just lying around the shelf when he's in robot mode (which he will be 95% of the time for most people).

Sutton
29th June 2012, 08:10 PM

Would have been more deliberate if they'd put the little handles on the scope (which MP megs had, despite not having all the pieces for the manned gun :confused:).

VERT
30th June 2012, 08:04 AM

Just did it. Wow so simple and works so well. Thanks :D

kurdt_the_goat
30th June 2012, 11:47 PM
Would have been more deliberate if they'd put the little handles on the scope (which MP megs had, despite not having all the pieces for the manned gun :confused:).

Well i'll be damned, have had MP5 for 3 years or so and never noticed those!

Is Ebay the only option for finding a Hegemon now?
The positive comments are winning me over (wasn't sold at first cause i was hoping for MP Megs V2) but a quick scour of the usual stores doesn't give much hope of finding one.

SuspectimusPrime
30th June 2012, 11:56 PM
Well i'll be damned, have had MP5 for 3 years or so and never noticed those!

Is Ebay the only option for finding a Hegemon now?
The positive comments are winning me over (wasn't sold at first cause i was hoping for MP Megs V2) but a quick scour of the usual stores doesn't give much hope of finding one.

Yes it seems like eBay is the only hope left. I'm waiting to see some more good feedback from a few sellers before making a move. Will let you know if I progress :)

Sutton
1st July 2012, 10:37 AM
Yes it seems like eBay is the only hope left. I'm waiting to see some more good feedback from a few sellers before making a move. Will let you know if I progress :)

http://chimungmung.com/product_info.php?products_id=731&osCsid=322edd792a6f4230ce158ca44e230f97

Chiumungmung still has him as of this moment. I've bought from Tony a couple of times now and have never had a hassle - he even threw in a sheet of Decepticon logos with my FP Insecticons that came in handy for a few things...

kup
1st July 2012, 11:10 AM
http://chimungmung.com/product_info.php?products_id=731&osCsid=322edd792a6f4230ce158ca44e230f97

Chiumungmung still has him as of this moment. I've bought from Tony a couple of times now and have never had a hassle - he even threw in a sheet of Decepticon logos with my FP Insecticons that came in handy for a few things...

Ebay prices are not too bad either given the circumstances. This one here has free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYSWORLD-TRANSFORMERS-TW-01-Hegemon-P-38-FIGURE-NEW-/290733067856?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item43b10a8e50#ht_7358wt_1232

SuspectimusPrime
1st July 2012, 02:52 PM

Didn't realise Chimungmung had him. I've bought from that site once and my experience was the same as yours. :)

Ebay prices are not too bad either given the circumstances. This one here has free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYSWORLD-TRANSFORMERS-TW-01-Hegemon-P-38-FIGURE-NEW-/290733067856?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item43b10a8e50#ht_7358wt_1232

I'll probably go with one of the eBayers. Free shipping from Chinese/Taiwanese sellers has not been too bad. I've bought a lot from them in recent years and have not had any negative experiences. Looking at a few big buys this month and would like to go for the cheapest prices :o

Ultra Mackness
10th July 2012, 06:52 PM
Still appears to be available at yahobby.com too

http://www.yahobby.com/transformers-toyworld-hegemon-megatron-custom-p-3664.html?osCsid=1j2nf1cd7hrr371dgb0bsn8tq0

lcz128
4th November 2012, 09:34 PM
Hegemon is one cool figure!
I enjoy the transformation and size of the figure. Great looking sculpt, imposing form and awesome light piping!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/2KK_Blog/7ED4BCDC-4A86-4BE0-B834-8054D5981119-1569-0000012332126838.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/2KK_Blog/1D7858FD-E12D-4B95-B1E1-49CE27757F67-1569-0000012329C221E7.jpg
However, he doesn't go well with Faith Leader. I'm looking forward to TW's IDW style Optimus that was rumoured once upon a time (May 2012)

Hegemon does however have some loose joints here and there that impede the enjoyment of the poseability that exists on the sculpt.
In particular, the side lateral joints on both arms are way loose when you have something in his hands (or on the right arm, his fusion cannon)

I still do recommend this toy for anyone who hasn't picked him up though - he's a fits in a lot better on my Decepticon shelf than the Henkei/Classics.

More photos to come :D

liegeprime
5th November 2012, 05:31 AM
Lcz128 can you include in your post up comparative pics of Hegemon vs Classics vs G1 please. Thanks. Still umming and aahhing if I should get this.

kup
5th November 2012, 09:00 AM
Lcz128 can you include in your post up comparative pics of Hegemon vs Classics vs G1 please. Thanks. Still umming and aahhing if I should get this.

Here is classics:

Bidoofdude
10th November 2012, 08:37 PM
Does he fit well with mp-10? Because it looks like MP-01 is not that much taller.

Deceptic_Optic
10th November 2012, 09:33 PM
Does he fit well with mp-10? Because it looks like MP-01 is not that much taller.

nope his still smaller

SuspectimusPrime
10th November 2012, 09:48 PM

He's like half the size of MP Megs, which makes Hegemon more fitting on your Classics shelf. See kup's original review + pictorial a few pages back, here: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=305887&postcount=40
:)

kup
11th November 2012, 03:36 PM
He's like half the size of MP Megs, which makes Hegemon more fitting on your Classics shelf. See kup's original review + pictorial a few pages back, here: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=305887&postcount=40
:)

Thanks for the Plug! ;)

Bidoofdude
21st January 2013, 06:07 PM
Hegemon is really starting to tempt me now. I think I'll make it my next purchase, if there's no problems related to seizure involved in the past.:cool:

Lord_Zed
21st January 2013, 06:13 PM
Hegemon is really starting to tempt me now. I think I'll make it my next purchase, if there's no problems related to seizure involved in the past.:cool:

Shouldn't be.

His gun mode is not as realistic as MP or original Megs, and if I recall correctly he is packaged in robot mode with no (or limited) images of the alt mode on the box.

He also has big removable orange cap on his back muzzle.

Bidoofdude
21st January 2013, 06:22 PM
Do some have no cap? By the looks of it on eBay, some seem to have no cap. :cool:(probably just photoshop work)

SuspectimusPrime
21st January 2013, 07:06 PM
Do some have no cap? By the looks of it on eBay, some seem to have no cap. :cool:(probably just photoshop work)

I think that's just the product pic. The actual boxed products have always been pictured with an orange cap. It seems like everyone got theirs through customs without incidence when Hegemon was first released.

Bidoofdude
21st January 2013, 11:01 PM
Cool. I might get one soon.:cool:

Megatran
19th December 2013, 10:43 PM
I'm late to the party. Where can I get one?

CBratron
19th December 2013, 11:10 PM
I'm late to the party. Where can I get one?

Out of production. Check ebay, classifieds, anywhere someone would sell theirs.

[edit] Found one on ebay http://r.ebay.com/F4eMDU Not sure you could stomach the $300 price tag.

SuspectimusPrime
20th December 2013, 10:00 AM
Out of production. Check ebay, classifieds, anywhere someone would sell theirs.

[edit] Found one on ebay http://r.ebay.com/F4eMDU Not sure you could stomach the $300 price tag.

I'm after one myself. Definitely not going to pay more than $120 for a MISB. Rather wait it out for a potential reissue with QC adjustments. Fingers crossed this will be announced late next year as they (hopefully) comes closer to the complete release of their not-Throttlebots set.

Megatran
20th December 2013, 11:41 AM
Found one on ebay http://r.ebay.com/F4eMDU Not sure you could stomach the $300 price tag.

I projectile vomitted on seeing the scalping price tag. :eek:

z3r03d
4th June 2014, 12:48 AM
does anybody have one of this? Does it really look that good as the photo shows? really keen to have one....

Lord_Zed
4th June 2014, 10:07 PM
Which picture in particular? He looks like the pictures yes, but there have been some custom paint jobs since release too.

z3r03d
4th June 2014, 11:09 PM
Which picture in particular? He looks like the pictures yes, but there have been some custom paint jobs since release too.

http://chimungmung.com/product_info.php?products_id=1764

i could only see the photo but as usual photos are always made to look good.

cant seem to find anyone who has it at the moment. really want one :)

ispayks
5th June 2014, 01:09 AM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5526/10886049654_30388b3ea6_c.jpg

kup
5th June 2014, 08:48 AM
does anybody have one of this? Does it really look that good as the photo shows? really keen to have one....

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=305887#post305887

Megatran
5th June 2014, 08:51 AM
Nice pic ispayks, though Hegemon looks to be in an uneasy pose. Is he passing wind? :p

Hegemon will be one of the very few 3rd party TF toys I will get.

z3r03d
5th June 2014, 09:40 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5526/10886049654_30388b3ea6_c.jpg

Thanks ispayks!! that looks really cool!

I've ordered one!

ispayks
6th June 2014, 01:39 AM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8460/7999936047_b68f30e7d1_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8127362273_fd39f37d5d_b.jpg

Megatran
6th June 2014, 08:36 AM
^ Faaaantastic! Luv those pics. :cool: Thanks for sharing ispayks. July can't come fast enough.

SuspectimusPrime
28th July 2014, 11:53 AM
^ Faaaantastic! Luv those pics. :cool: Thanks for sharing ispayks. July can't come fast enough.

Has anyone pre-ordered this guy from Chimungmung (http://chimungmung.com/product_info.php?products_id=1764) and received shipping notice yet?

millhouse
28th July 2014, 11:56 AM
Has anyone pre-ordered this guy from Chimungmung (http://chimungmung.com/product_info.php?products_id=1764) and received shipping notice yet?

It's still on pre-order. Not out yet ANYWHERE. Must've been delayed?

SuspectimusPrime
28th July 2014, 01:25 PM
It's still on pre-order. Not out yet ANYWHERE. Must've been delayed?

Cheers, thanks for confirming. ToyWorld has been late with all of their previous releases. Guess they just have not gotten around to fine-tuning their supply chain process.

millhouse
28th July 2014, 01:41 PM
Cheers, thanks for confirming. ToyWorld has been late with all of their previous releases. Guess they just have not gotten around to fine-tuning their supply chain process.

Hah! I'm just happy that it hasn't arrived at SDCC time!

When Tony has it in stock, it'll be listed separately.

Jilm101
28th July 2014, 04:33 PM

I emailed tony 2 days ago asking that! he said end of july

leej84
28th July 2014, 05:47 PM
I emailed tony 2 days ago asking that! he said end of july

this is what i got too from another seller. it'll be soon, dont worry fellas :) it'll be worth the wait

Dinkydarth
28th July 2014, 09:47 PM
I've got it on pre order via eBay... looking forward to it!

Joshy
2nd August 2014, 09:24 PM
as a new collector ive been trying to avoid the 3rd party stuff, but those pics at the top of the page have sold me! preorder done :D..now who to get next:confused::)

CBratron
3rd August 2014, 01:39 AM
as a new collector ive been trying to avoid the 3rd party stuff, but those pics at the top of the page have sold me! preorder done :D..now who to get next:confused::)

Welcome Brother Joshy. You've now crossed over to the Dark Side.:p

leej84
4th August 2014, 11:20 PM
Hegemon delayed again I think :(

SuspectimusPrime
5th August 2014, 12:28 PM
Hegemon delayed again I think :(

ETA end of August. I hope they're over-estimating :(

Joshy
5th August 2014, 03:24 PM
ETA end of August. I hope they're over-estimating :(

Better to take that bit longer and iron out any qc issues hopefully.

Can anyone recommend which set of not dinobots is going to scale best with hegemon?

leej84
5th August 2014, 05:22 PM
Hegemon about voyager sized, so maybe the fpj columpio will fit in nicely

Joshy
5th August 2014, 09:15 PM
Cool thanks.

leej84
19th August 2014, 05:17 PM
My seller indicated my hegemon was sent today :)

skeg
25th August 2014, 04:55 PM
I got my Hegemon mid last week. So glad I got it this time round. Such a great figure. I don't mind the scale too. Seems to fit well with the classics line. :D I also got Orion, which is currently going through a re-paint. I'll be sure to post pictures once done. I may also paint up Hegemon too. Give him more of a silver, as opposed to the grey.

millhouse
25th August 2014, 05:06 PM
I got my Hegemon mid last week. So glad I got it this time round. Such a great figure. I don't mind the scale too. Seems to fit well with the classics line. :D I also got Orion, which is currently going through a re-paint. I'll be sure to post pictures once done. I may also paint up Hegemon too. Give him more of a silver, as opposed to the grey.

Where'd you grab him from? Mainland China?

leej84
25th August 2014, 05:18 PM
Where'd you grab him from? Mainland China?

Mines coming from hk but not here yet, tracking says tomorrow.

skeg
25th August 2014, 09:49 PM
I think mine came from HK. It was expressed though. This is how my re-paint of Orion Black came out. Please ignore the wind shield, as I will be redoing it tomorrow. :o Over all, I'm pretty happy with it. Does the job! :D

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/skeg_man/PIC000772_zps11a03077.jpg

Oberon Sexton
26th August 2014, 12:31 PM
I think mine came from HK. It was expressed though. This is how my re-paint of Orion Black came out. Please ignore the wind shield, as I will be redoing it tomorrow. :o Over all, I'm pretty happy with it. Does the job! :D

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/skeg_man/PIC000772_zps11a03077.jpg

Do you happen to commission your custom work? =3

lancalot
26th August 2014, 08:08 PM
Nice repaint.... love the yellow triangle on the forearm! very G1 !

skeg
26th August 2014, 08:24 PM
Cheers guys. I don't want to clog the thread up with my "junk" but I do appreciate the comments. :)

@Oberon Sexton - To be honest mate... its not the greatest job. I'm too scared to put him in vehicle mode. Maybe I'll try over the weekend and see what i've missed. :p

Back to topic - Hegemon is by far one of the nicest Megatrons. Not that I own heaps, but from what I've seen online. If classics are your range, they all seem to suit pretty good scale wise. Couldn't be happier. :D

senzan
27th August 2014, 08:38 AM

Why would you want to avoid them? They are better than any of the non-MP crap takhas are releasing these days.