PDA

View Full Version : Comic Review: Transformers: Autocracy

Paulbot
19th January 2012, 10:15 AM
(Please post comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Comic review - Transformers Autocracy
Creators - Flint Dille, Chris Metzen (writers), Livio Ramondelli (artist)
Publisher - IDW
Retail Price - AU$1 (US$0.99) per issue (online only)
Page count per issue - 8 pages
Series length - 12 issues (limited series)
Released - January 2012 - April 2012
Collected edition - TBD

Paulbot
19th January 2012, 10:17 AM
Clicked up the first issue of Autocracy today.

The story is set pre-war, when the Decepticons are a growing terrorist group, and the Autobots are a police force. This chapter, soon after the rebuilding of Orion Pax into his Optimus look, deals with him leading a strike force on an illegal weapons deal.

It's a much more violent Orion Pax than I was expecting. In the last story chronologically he was angry with the ruling system, but here that anger is coming out in his actions towards his Decepticon prisoner. It's hard to be on his side so far.

Although it's only eight pages it feels like a complete chapter (not just a third of a comic book). Overall though I still get the impression it will read better as a whole.

The art by Livio Ramondelli looks great. It's a bit brighter than in Chaos, more varied in colour, but does loose some impact reading on a phone. On a tablet or on screen would be better. The Cybertronian mode designs look good and familiar.

One thing that did bug me was the (G1 cartoon-focus) choice of cast, possibly coming so soon after the (G1-wide) selection of characters for the MTMTE ongoing. Ironhide, Prowl, Hound? Yes I can see them being part of the police forces pre-war, even working with a young Optimus and then continuing into the armed forces. Silverbolt and Bumblebee though?

To me Bumblebee is a character who joins the Autobot army after war has begun because he is brave enough to want to do his part and because he idolises fighting heroes. He's not just a regular officer.

And if Silverbolt has an aerial mode 5 million years ago and is still afraid of heights today? You had 5 million years to get a new alt mode! I prefer him as a 'younger' bot appointed to a new team of aerial warriors.

Doubledealer
19th January 2012, 01:12 PM
Short but sweet is how I'd describe the first issue of Autocracy. :) I too enjoyed the artwork, some cells work better than others but overall it looks really nice. The lighting in particular is aces!

Story-wise it's done a great job of setting the scene, I'm definitely interested to see how things develop from here. I also like the fact that Orion Pax is a bit of a brute. I'm seeing a side of this character I've not seen before which is refreshing to say the least. Good stuff!

Cat
20th January 2012, 12:49 AM
This surprised the heck out of me.

I was expecting it to be pretty poor, but I really enjoyed it.

I disliked Livio's art in Chaos, finding it to be too murky and the colouring felt like it was used in parts to hide some poor underdrawing. Autocracy was very clear, a huge step forward IMO, and everything looked fine to me.

Metzen writing had me wary - I used to play WOW. But his material worked fine for me. I didn't like Pax's 'RAARGH' moment, but it's at least explainable considering what he'd just been through.

Can't wait for the next part.

Sky Shadow
2nd February 2012, 10:17 AM
Issue two is stronger than #1 - it gave me as reader a far better context as to where to mentally place the events of the story, allowing me to just sit back and enjoy the issue. (In issue one I wasn't sure if I was reading something that was supposed to be in aligned continuity, old school IDW or even if Flint Dille was trying to write in the G1 cartoon universe again. Now I'm pretty sure that this is meant to fit in with other IDW comics [although there are minor contradictions]). I do have issues with Raimonelli's art, which always looks like it's being viewed through fog - I'm sure there's some fantastic art there - it would just be nice to feel like I can actually see it without getting a new prescription for my glasses, and there's a crazily dyslexic reference to "Jihauxus". Still I like this title - and it does literally have a witty title - Zeta Prime is a truly "monster"ous evil autocrat whose weapons of choice to police the state are ones that drain robots (and cities) of energy and then release it with destructive force - "a perfect circuit of death." The leader of the Autobots is basically Hitler, and it is going to require an insurrection from the Decepticons to get rid of him. Orion Pax, Bumblebee and Ironhide are on the side of the 'bad guys' and they're going to bring in Soundwave "dead or alive". This is probably leading up to Megatron killing Zeta Prime (even though we haven't actually seen Megs yet) and I'm wondering if Orion will try to stop him or join him. I really enjoyed these eight pages - possibly even more than Robots In Disguise #1 (which was great.) Which means I can now enjoy a Transformers comic every week - something I haven't been able to do in about twenty years.

Cat
2nd February 2012, 10:35 AM
I thought part 2 was terrible.

Also, if you're reading it via Iphone, Comixology screwed up, and they omit a line of Starscreams dialogue. You need to go to full page view to read it.

Paulbot
2nd February 2012, 11:28 AM
Zeta Prime is portrayed as too extreme in his measures. The heavy armor doesn't help. The supergun is rather silly altogether too. It's all a bit too over the top.

I like Decepticon 'terror' cells being supported by local citizens. It's seems an acceptable response when your ruling class is led by someone like Zeta Prime and the police/armed forces (like Orion Pax and Whirl) are using extreme force on their prisoners. The Decepticons seem the side to root for. Surely the writers actually don't want us to be for Zeta Prime's plan?

I need to refresh myself on pre-war IDW history, but I get the feeling that however 'history' has recounted it in the past, it may have been a commonly beleive lie, and in fact we may learn that Orion Pax is the killer of Zeta Prime.

Also, if you're reading it via Iphone, Comixology screwed up, and they omit a line of Starscreams dialogue. You need to go to full page view to read it.

I guess that missing line is what Zeta Prime says "What was that?" to. I did back and forth the panels a few times there trying to figure out his response.

Skyshadow, I'm not sure why the relation to the other IDW stories was in doubt? It's been marketed as "an IDW-universe story" throughout all the articles.

i_amtrunks
2nd February 2012, 09:34 PM
Not a fan of the Zetaj design and the artwork has a nice feel to it, but I enjoyed it far more when it was used on a grand scale like in the chaos issues, rather than these indoor political scenes.

Zeta is too over the top cartoon villain for me in this issue, and I found myself
losing interest the more time he waffled on, even with the quasi references to other tf lore. I preferred the lazy, self important WfC version in both character and design. Hopefully we see limited Zeta from here on in. And hopefully it doesnt devolve into a "Soundwave leads Prime to Megatron, they chat and Orion starts the transition to his Prime self." That would be dull.

Sky Shadow
2nd February 2012, 10:45 PM
Skyshadow, I'm not sure why the relation to the other IDW stories was in doubt? It's been marketed as "an IDW-universe story" throughout all the articles.

I haven't actually read anything about Autocracy - just the comic itself. Mainly the cartoon cast and 'Optimus' being called Orion Pax on page two just made me think that maybe Flint Dille was writing a new G1 cartoon prequel.

Even knowing this is in the IDW universe, it's still hard to process. Like... Zeta Prime implies that his immediate predecessor was Nominus Prime, which doesn't make much sense in IDW continuity, plus both these characters are technically retcons (in Spotlight: Optimus Prime the line of succession didn't include them). Prior to this, in Megatron: Origin, Starscream murdered an entire council and now he's serving as a delegate and no one is suspicious that he might just be a Decepticon (and if Autocracy is set after Spotlight: Blurr, it makes even less sense). There's the aforementioned spelling of "Jihauxus" that's inconsistent with IDW's other stories. And everyone's character models are completely different to how they were at similar times in the past in IDW comics.

Still - I like this series.

Paulbot
2nd February 2012, 10:55 PM
Hmm. Sounds like some problems with editing. I am surprised at IDW. I wonder how many more former Primes they will come up with in the next few years.

I dislike Megatron Origin enough to consider it "Decepticon propaganda" that may have stretched some truths. Yes. That should cover some of those inconsistencies. :) (Actually depending how this series turns out the same might be said for this one.)

i_amtrunks
2nd February 2012, 11:22 PM
I dislike Megatron Origin enough to consider it "Decepticon propaganda" that may have stretched some truths. Yes. That should cover some of those inconsistencies. :) (Actually depending how this series turns out the same might be said for this one.)

Interesting idea. Would be even more interesting if the old adage of "the victor's write the history books" is taken into consideration... eventual Decepticon victory then? :p

I wonder what IDW have to say regarding this big kerfuffle in their timeline, and which history should be regarded as correct. Sure there will always be inconsistencies in large fictional worlds especially when so many different writers are used over a period of several years, but since they keep soft-rebooting the story but try (bar AHM) to retain what has come before you would think it would be in their best interests to sort out this mess and get their backstory all sorted out.

Easiest fix? Retcon so that Origins never happened/ was propaganda. That also gets rid of the some big problems that series cause regarding character histories and the whole gender problem that has been ignored since.

Sky Shadow
2nd February 2012, 11:44 PM
Sure there will always be inconsistencies in large fictional worlds especially when so many different writers are used over a period of several years, but since they keep soft-rebooting the story but try (bar AHM) to retain what has come before you would think it would be in their best interests to sort out this mess and get their backstory all sorted out.

Geez, Trunks - what is it with fans' "fascination with 'canon'" (Denton Tipton, 2010.) :p Considering IDW's last attempt to align their cluster#*@% of a continuity was the punctuation-and-logic-free Transformers: Continuum, I hope next time they'll get someone capable like James Roberts to sort it all out. A James Roberts history of the IDW universe would be fantastic.

I've almost never reread an IDW comic, so I've probably forgotten most of the mistakes since they've been spread over the past six years. But surely reading all the contradictions in those IDW Collection volumes in order must make people's brains hurt.

i_amtrunks
3rd February 2012, 11:34 AM
Geez, Trunks - what is it with fans' "fascination with 'canon'" (Denton Tipton, 2010.) :p

All that mild aspergers/ocd that every man and his dog is getting diagnosed with! :p

A James Roberts history of the IDW universe would be fantastic

It would be nice, he did a great job fixing up the Movie verse stuff.

griffin
3rd February 2012, 01:01 PM
I like Decepticon 'terror' cells being supported by local citizens. It's seems an acceptable response when your ruling class is led by someone like Zeta Prime and the police/armed forces (like Orion Pax and Whirl) are using extreme force on their prisoners. The Decepticons seem the side to root for. Surely the writers actually don't want us to be for Zeta Prime's plan?

That's why I'm not much of a fan of IDW's view on Gen1 - after they had Megatron fighting for the worker class, writing a people's manifesto like Lenin, and now the Decepticons are the ones the readers are being made out to be the more honourable side... it's creating sympathy for terrorists - and IDW are fooling themselves if they think they can create a "friendly" Decepticon ideology, compared to the Autobot image that they have now corrupted.

Compare it to the Sunbow Autobots, or even the Marvel Autobots... there was no question that the Autobots were the good guys back then, and the Decepticons were only supported by the greedy, corrupt and misguided.

Sharky
3rd February 2012, 01:33 PM
i tend to agree.. the autobots...and orion in particular really look like they should be on the con side... they are darker and it really does not seem like the pax we have seen before.. they way they portray Zeta Prime he is very megatron like.. even on the cover he looks sinister...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Comic%20Covers/IMG_0305sm.png

i do like some of the art in the book like soundwave... i could almost imagine G1 Soundwaves voice as well in the below panel...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Comic%20Covers/IMG_0306sm.png

i will keep reading it as it does draw me in an have me wodering where this is leading...

griffin
3rd February 2012, 02:00 PM
Maybe they are following Bay's example of corrupting the "heroic, noble, compassionate" Optimus Prime.
I remember how proud Peter Cullen was at each BotCon, playing Optimus Prime, even in the first movie - because of how pure a hero that character was, especially to kids. But then after Optimus was made out to be a callous, merciless, bloodthirsty Autobot in the second movie, Peter Cullen didn't boast about that at the following BotCon. It was so obvious that he had trouble claiming this title of a universally recognised "pure hero" after what Bay did to the character in TF2 (and TF3).
IDW are now doing the same with the "Autobot brand", making it difficult to show support for a side that should be the "hero" side.
At least Marvel would create renegade Autobot characters whenever they wanted to look at a scenario of "evil Autobots".
Before IDW, Bay and even Animated, I don't think it was ever an acceptable concept to have corrupted or elitist Autobots?

Sky Shadow
3rd February 2012, 10:23 PM
Before IDW, Bay and even Animated, I don't think it was ever an acceptable concept to have corrupted or elitist Autobots?

Grimlock was a totalitarian Autobot leader back in the eighties - remember he wanted Goldbug and Blaster brought in dead or alive for refusing to harm humans and being 'traitors', used live children as bait and tortured Blaster. Jazz gave Sparkplug Witwicky a heart attack by firing a flamethrower to stop him from getting away in the original limited series. 'Perchance To Dream' was all about Galvatron finding the Autobots with 'dark sides' to use as his new army. And similarly, there have almost always been 'good' Decepticons. Catilla, Carnivac, Manta Ray, Leadfoot, etc. in the comics; Skyfire, Blitzwing and Octane in the cartoon. I like it when there are shades of grey in Transformers - "Autobots are good and Decepticons are evil" is just emulating racism.

griffin
4th February 2012, 03:14 AM
I agree, the shades of grey can make it interesting, especially when they have the occasional character switching sides (from their toy allegiance... it isn't too creative if they switch sides to their toy allegiance).
Thundercracker in IDW is a good example of this, following on from the original toy Bio, in that he constantly questions his allegiance.
And as mentioned, the Marvel universe had quite a few characters that would sit on the fence or jump over it completely.
It was just never a case of wholesale changing of Autobot or Decepticon ideologies, like IDW have done. We have Autobots that are portrayed as elitist snobs, and the Decepticons portrayed as the hard-done-by worker class. As a mob, it is easy to paint this sort of changed scenario, but looking at each individual Gen1 character that we know, they don't fit in with that "grand setting". Evaluate the purpose and character of all the various Autobots and Decepticons you can think of... which ideology would each of those characters you can name support or oppose? You'd expect most Autobots (as individuals) would be the ones fighting for the workers, while most Decepticons (as individuals) would be the ones securing their power as the elite, to rule over others. Just reading their Bios, it is impossible to think any Decepticon would ever fight for the rights of others, even if it was for their own benefit.
And we are being faced with an Autobot regime that are essentially all like Animated Sentinel Prime - jerks that no one would see as a hero.
I like the old way that we had heroes that were not doubted or questioned. Like how Peter Cullen described Optimus Prime - a pure hero.

The Grimlock and Dinobots I'll grant were "vigilante" type heroes, with Grimlock going too far when he became leader... but he still redeemed himself, remembering that he doesn't act as he should.

Jazz - wasn't familiar with how fragile humans are, as the fire lasso would have just contained a normal bot without harming them. He wasn't intentionally aiming to hurt Sparkplug.

Perchance to Dream - Each of those Autobots acted according to their bios, or in an heroic manner. Ironhide saved lives by killing a terrorist that the police would have killed anyway. Wheeljack thought about turning on Jetfire (just after he became an Autobot), but didn't. Sunstreaker did endanger humans, but they were the military, and that's their job to defend their country - he didn't endanger civilians. Prowl is logic-driven like Shockwave, so knew that calling off a chase would just allow them to keep causing chaos and casualties in the future. And Silverbolt's fear and embarrassment clouded his judgement, but when he regained himself, he didn't intentionally cause chaos.

Of the Decepticons you listed, only Carnivac was a Decepticon as a toy, so having the others starting out that way is just a (weak) plot device in just one media... The toys themselves (their bios) don't reflect that, so doesn't have as much weighting to me as does Carnivac's transition. His transition was more of a surprise, or at least, required more thought by the writer to pull off.

(I do read the IDW stuff, when it comes out in TPB, I just like the older comics more, that easily had you cheering/supporting "the good guys", without wondering who really are the good guys.)

Sky Shadow
4th February 2012, 04:08 AM
Keep in mind that the 'Autobot elite' stories are set in the distant past - we know that the Autobots will become the good guys, and in some ways presumably this story is going to begin to pave the road on which 'our' Autobots will eventually redeem their faction's good name. The Autobots in charge are corrupt before Optimus Prime comes along - this makes Optimus better - he's much less of a hero if he's yet another in a line of great Autobot leaders - in this, he makes a difference.

Megatron is a 'working class' robot - this in in keeping with his Marvel origins. For him to gain the power he desires he can't just suddenly join the aristocracy - he has to start a revolution and get the 'people' behind him. I don't think anyone thinks that Soundwave and the other Decepticons are insurgents out of the goodness of their own fuel pumps - they see that Megatron is the bot to stand beside if they want a share of his power.

Flint Dille (who wrote this comic) was incidentally the first person to write a Decepticon (toy) that truly defected in Five Faces of Darkness Part 5 (Blitzwing, whose 'outcast' character was sadly replaced by Octane for the rest of Season 3 because the latter had a toy on the shelf.) I loved that episode as a kid and I have faith in what Dille is doing in Autocracy.

griffin
4th February 2012, 12:12 PM
Indeed... I do look forward to seeing how it is played out, if this is ever released in print form.
I guess the message they are making is that power corrupts, and in this instance, it had corrupted both sides - first the Autobot hierarchy, then Megatron.

Cat
5th February 2012, 12:34 AM
Indeed... I do look forward to seeing how it is played out, if this is ever released in print form.
I guess the message they are making is that power corrupts, and in this instance, it had corrupted both sides - first the Autobot hierarchy, then Megatron.

Oh it will be.

It's IDW.

They collect EVERYTHING. (Well, mostly everything).

I do believe it's been stated this will be available in print at some stage though.

GoktimusPrime
5th February 2012, 10:07 AM
I certainly hope so :)

Sky Shadow
16th February 2012, 03:56 AM
the cartoon cast and 'Optimus' being called Orion Pax on page two just made me think that maybe Flint Dille was writing a new G1 cartoon prequel.

Issue #3 is out and doesn't do anything to dissuade me of my above instincts about this comic. Soundwave is incapable of speaking properly - all his dialogue is broken up with a colon in the middle of sentences and most of the time the formula is "X Eject: Operation Y". Ratbat doesn't talk and lives in Soundwave's chest. Same with Ravage. Roses are red, violets are blue, Frenzy is red and Rumble is blue.

And as you may infer from the above, most of these eight pages deal with the Autobots chasing Soundwave and him siccing his cassetes on them. It's a filler chapter to get the reader from point A to point B in the plot and geography. It does its job with workmanlike efficiency. I still look forward to the next issue.

Sharky
16th February 2012, 07:55 AM
i had a quick read of #3 this morning. and i am liking the art.. it feels alot bettter then chaos....(that was to dark and sometimes scratchy looking)

it was a little too much on soundwave doing the same thing....

Run....Eject..... Run.... Eject.. Run......

Spoilers in Images....Kinda.....(enjoy Hursty!!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Comic%20Covers/IMG_0331_sm.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Comic%20Covers/IMG_0332_sm.png
(i really like this panel)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Comic%20Covers/IMG_0330_sm.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Comic%20Covers/IMG_0328_sm.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Comic%20Covers/IMG_0333_sm.png

i do still look forwad to the next issue.!!

Paulbot
16th February 2012, 08:29 AM
The writers are clearly influenced by the cartoon, but Ratbat living in Soundwave's chest and not talking was his situation from the end of Megatron Origin until Death of OP. And IDW swapped the Frenzy and Rumble colour palette a couple of years ago.

I didn't think much of this chapter, but it was a nice little showcase for the cassettes.

i_amtrunks
17th February 2012, 12:15 AM
No meat in this issue, all just Soundwave and cassette love.

Bit of a Shockwave/Soundwave merger there with all the overconfidence and probabilities...

Art is getting better, but these issues are doing nothing to paint the autobots in a better light, they are rough, rude, and overconfident for what seems to be no reason. The entire Autobot squad are taken out so easily by the cassettes, and Orion is just a thuggish brute at the end. Perhaps the next issue might see the beginning of Orion becoming more like Prime?

So far it is not a series I have enjoyed, but the art is different and decent. too bad this is my only fix, as I dont have time to grab #2 of MtMtE and have to hope it is in stock in a few weeks time when I get back from overseas.

Sky Shadow
23rd February 2012, 12:48 AM

You only have 153 days to wait! ;) http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Transformers-Autocracy-Chris-Metzen/9781613772904?selectCurrency=AUD

Sharky
1st March 2012, 08:42 PM
I just downloaded and read issue 4 and I felt the art in this was a little darker then the last few issues.. I do understand they were in a dark establishment.. But still!! And the story for me just plodded on.. It really does not paint the current "prime" in a heroic light. (or the autobots for that matter...And it is getting a little annoying) While I am entertained by this story this is just starting to feel like another coming of age story for Optimus...

Sky Shadow
5th March 2012, 09:22 PM
The last page of issue four is the first real "surprise!" moment in this series. We're halfway to the end.

Sky Shadow
27th March 2012, 09:05 PM
#6 Preview: http://www.polarismagazine.co.uk/preview-idw-transformers-autocracy-6/

Sky Shadow
13th April 2012, 03:10 AM
RE: #7.

This makes up for the times over the years when I've thought "Optimus, you idiot, just let Megatron die."

KalEl
20th April 2012, 07:37 PM
are these woth getting on my iphone or wait till i get a ipad

Paulbot
20th April 2012, 07:48 PM
I reckon the art in this series will look better on an ipad then on the phone. The painted style detail gets a bit lost on a small screen.

But when you buy a comic through comixology, it's added to your account. You can view it on your phone and your ipad and your computer.

KalEl
20th April 2012, 07:59 PM
I reckon the art in this series will look better on an ipad then on the phone. The painted style detail gets a bit lost on a small screen.

But when you buy a comic through comixology, it's added to your account. You can view it on your phone and your ipad and your computer.

very true :)

Sharky
27th April 2012, 07:24 AM
i DL'd and read issue 8 last night, and i thought the issue read rather quick.. quicker then the normal half a comic read we been getting. lots of action and megatron is very busy... but it still felt a little underwhe;ming for what happened

Spoilers

some of my favorite panels in the book

Click to see 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/CROP_IMG_0574.png)

Click to see 2 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/CROP_IMG_0569.png)

Click to see 3 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/CROP_IMG_0576.png)

Sharky
24th May 2012, 07:37 AM
Addressing the autobots just as the find him in the ruins of Nyon

Someone who's Suffered through the ages of fire and death...And dreamed through the long Eons of History...He shall not rise as ACROPOLEX..Forgotten Ruin of a Lost age but as a living embodiment of our shining future - A Symbol of the Better World we shall forge together...

Arise....XXXXXXXXX

ill post an image of who prime awakens tonight

not a bad issue really only a couple left

Sharky
24th May 2012, 08:07 PM
Spoilers

Arise mystery autobot (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Sharkysparky/Autocracy_10_metroplex.png)

Paulbot
7th June 2012, 07:13 PM
#11 is out today but for some reason I can't see it within the Transformers-branded Comixology app, only in the default Comixology app.

i_amtrunks
7th June 2012, 07:52 PM
I don't know why, but I feel that the art is clearer and more defined in this issue, and (to me) looks better. It's like a thin layer of haze or fog has been removed and the quality and detail just ooze through.

Story is still plodding along nicely, I must admit I was expecting a little more from the penultimate issue! I know the mystery bot will make a big show in issue #12, but the plan of marching the main force down a street, even with contingencies seems... daft.

Also not a fan of the US imagery of soldiers hoisting a banner, not allowing it to fall. It is an old and wasteful image in human war history, let alone in an advanced robotic culture where they have had projectile weapons for millennia!

Sharky
7th June 2012, 09:36 PM
#11 is out today but for some reason I can't see it within the Transformers-branded Comixology app, only in the default Comixology app.

I noticed this as well after I received my alert. And I was impatient I just purchased it in the standard comixology app and since it's linked to my account it instantly appeared in my purchases tab of the TF App

Not a bad issue was there a mistake with the names when the two Decepticons were about to bust in on the Autobot??

A lot should happen in the next issue.. And for the most part I have enjoyed the digital exclusive comic experience I will still buy it in trade when it is released tho :p

Paulbot
13th June 2012, 09:37 PM
Issue 11 finally appeared in the Transformers app today so I clicked and got it.

I'm a bit over TFTM being quoted and paraphrased in other Transformers fiction, and even though three quotes in ten pages isn't that much, it's felt like too much. Sure this is written by the author of TFTM but that doesn't give it a pass.

But then I thought more about Metroplex's comment at the start and it got me thinking. This isn't 5 million years ago on Cybertron at all!

This is an alternate/altered reality/dream of some sort. This is a comic book story like "Heroes Reborn", "Age of Apocalypse", "Flashpoint", "House of M". Something happened during Chaos when Optimus Prime opened the Matrix and everything went white. The Autobots and Decepticons awoke in a Cybertron based on their memories pre-war, but the details were slightly wrong or reflected their current situations, rather than where these Transformers were back then or what actually happened.

It bugged me from issue one that "young" Bumblebee was a police officer fighting alongside his "idols" years before the war began. Orion's fellow officers just happen to be key Autobots 5 million years later too? Hot Rod being the leader of a faction before the war began doesn't fit the young upstart. Silverbolt not getting over his fear of flying despite 5 million years as a jet? All of this makes more sense if it's the characters where they were (in a figurative sense) at the point of issue 30.

The art's dream like quality? Of course because it is a sort of dream. The same art style that we saw in Chaos? Of course because this is part of the Chaos story. Familiar phrases? Well that happens in dreams too!

Metroplex, as an ancient Cybertronian, can see through the illusion. At least somewhat. He knows something has changed. (He's the Bishop/Flash/Wolverine of the story - just not as proactive about setting it all right again, probably because he knows that's not his role in all of this). Ironhide's vision (#31) likely comes after all of this, a side effect or a hopeful wish, a glimpse of what could be.

Everything happening is a metaphor. Optimus Prime, who gave up leadership of the Autobots after Ironhide's death, is being forced to truly reclaim the position. The only way he can really unleash the power of the Matrix to stop the D-Void is if he's sure of who he is. So he's been cast in a universe, to a time were there was some doubt and is forced to reclaim the Matrix and make a stand against the Decepticons. To become Optimus Prime one more time.

With all this in mind, I actually like the story more and look forward to getting the last chapter and reading it all in one go to see if my theory holds true on re-reading.

i_amtrunks
13th June 2012, 11:03 PM
Everything happening is a metaphor. Optimus Prime, who gave up leadership of the Autobots after Ironhide's death, is being forced to truly reclaim the position. The only way he can really unleash the power of the Matrix to stop the D-Void is if he's sure of who he is. So he's been cast in a universe, to a time were there was some doubt and is forced to reclaim the Matrix and make a stand against the Decepticons. To become Optimus Prime one more time.

With all this in mind, I actually like the story more and look forward to getting the last chapter and reading it all in one go to see if my theory holds true on re-reading.

Love the theory. Even if IDW come out and say "no, this is the definitive in universe history, ignore all the other stuff we've released." I think this is a much more creative and interesting idea.

Paulbot
21st June 2012, 08:19 AM
I thought last issue quoted TFTM too much? This issue repeats an entire scene!

But it's okay, the Matrix/Primus is creating this whole 'virtual reality' scenario anyway and it's aware of the alternate versions of 2005 and is just being a little lazy in scriptwriting. The book ends in a way that helps my theory so I'm going to stick with it and read the story again in whole once I get a printed version.

Sharky
21st June 2012, 11:29 AM
I thought last issue quoted TFTM too much? This issue

i thought that to.. and since the events with Acropolex a couple of weeks back it was always going to be a bit of a predictable finish.

i too look forawrd to reading it in hand, although i might give the whole series a read on the train ride home this afternoon.

on the whole tho i have enjoyed the digital exclusive series and i would like to see more series in this format.

Maybe Spotlights would work in this format 12 page stories every 2 weeks....throw in a profile at the end..

Paulbot
21st June 2012, 01:02 PM
Maybe Spotlights would work in this format 12 page stories every 2 weeks....throw in a profile at the end..

You're right they can!

What do you know about it lad?

I've just got this feeling.

Sharky
21st June 2012, 02:01 PM
You're right they can!

What do you know about it lad?

I've just got this feeling.

i know nothing...wishful thinking.

it just seems the perfect fit for it as a supplement to everything IDW is doing. fortnightly backstories on hundreds of characters that deserve it.

Paulbot
21st June 2012, 02:28 PM
i know nothing...wishful thinking.

it just seems the perfect fit for it as a supplement to everything IDW is doing. fortnightly backstories on hundreds of characters that deserve it.

Absolutely-positively-definitely.

Sky Shadow
21st June 2012, 06:50 PM
Paulbot's been possessed by Flint Dille. :)

I got nothing out of this issue other than the fact that the onomatopoeic sound Transformers make when they transform is well and truly canonically TSCHE-CHU-CHU-CHE-TSCHE.

Oilspill
25th September 2012, 03:35 AM
I just read Autocracy, and I'm really surprised to find it was so well (or at least adequately) received.

I found this to be the most contradictory, poorly written story arc to date. The dialogue is terrible, with obvious exposition, out-of-character dialogue, jarring panels and forced "fan-pleasing" references. The cast was boring, the plot was boring and it didn't feel like it fit into the IDW early civil war history at all. By the end of it, I ended up hating the Autobots, and thinking the Decepticons were idiots.

Why would the Autobots even end up calling themselves Autobots, if that is the name associated with the oppressive elite ruling class that the populace hates and they themselves rebel against?

This almost makes Costa's rubbish look good. Personally, I find it so bad that this is the only IDW story that I'm just going to pretend never happened. Well, this and when Spike murdered Scrapper.