PDA

View Full Version : Shipping forwarders from USA - guide & feedback

griffin
27th January 2012, 12:36 AM
PriceUSA is a company that orders items on your behalf, and then forwards the package to you from their American business/address.
It is different to those Post Box forwarding companies that forward items that you've ordered yourself and posted to their American address. The reason why PriceUSA is a useful option, is because some American businesses (like Hasbro's online store) won't ship to American addresses WITHOUT an America billing address (the address your credit card statements go to).

PriceUSA also prefers deposit/transfers... so you don't use a credit card, unless you want to, so you don't have to worry about giving out credit card details, or worrying about who may access them when places keep them on file. Those transfers can even be made at one of three banks, essentially making the payment instant, speeding up the process.

Now that I've successfully used this service, I'm here to give instructions on how to use it.

I recently purchased several items from the Hasbro Online store (mostly NYCC exclusives, because BBTS weren't stocking them), and all it ended up costing me was an extra $20. I paid Hasbro's (retail) prices, plus American shipping, plus International shipping, which was quoted to a price that only ended up being $20 more. Not bad for 7 toys in a big box.
(NOTE - it isn't a set fee, so can be more or less for other orders that are bigger or smaller)

Items I bought from Hasbro America (price in brackets is the FINAL cost each item ended up costing me)
DOTM orange voyager ironhide - us$20 (A$38.25)
Rescue Bots Boulder - US$12 (A$23)
Rescue Bots Walker cleveland - US$6 (A$11.50)
Rescue Bots Cody Burns - US$6 (A$11.50)
NYCC Nerf Bumblebee edition - US$25 (A$47.80)
NYCC Cuponk Transformers - US$20 (A$38.25)
NYCC Bumblebee & Arcee set - US$30 (A$57.40)

Shipping within America from Hasbro - US$12.92
Delivery Protection fee - US$3.30
Shipping to Australia - US$83.07 (actual postage was US$60.71)
Total charged to me - AU$227.55 (based on their adjusted exchange rate, which they quote as being 3cents off the official rate)
(they charge a deposit before placing the order at Hasbro, and then charge you the rest when it arrives at their US address)

As you can see, prices for items that were released here still ended up being cheaper than our regular retail prices, while those items not released here, are cheaper than what you could possibly find on ebay.
Recommended for items not released here, or not expected here... and since they are US Retail prices, it's quite possible to still get anything from there for less than the prices here. Especially when Hasbro has free shipping offers.

THE GUIDE ON HOW TO DO THIS, using the Hasbro online store as an example.

Go to their site - https://www.priceusa.com.au/order/?mod=order

Fill out your details (you don't need to pre-register to this site, just fill out your details each time you order).

Now open up a new Window or Tab, to the Hasbro Online store and search for Transformers (or whatever else you want)
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/

OR, look at the Transformers Product listing, and click on any that are listed as being sold by Hasbro.
http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/en_US/shop/browse.cfm?Ntt=transformers&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

(be prepared for items being sold out, as they often remain in the store for some time after they are sold out)

Now, copy the link, product name, and price, of each item, into the "Ordering" box on that PriceUSA page.

For example, the SWTF Quadchanger would look like this:

STAR WARS TRANSFORMERS DARTH VADER to STAR DESTROYER Figure - US$39.99
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?ID=29520&BR=495

And continue with all items you want in that "order details" box.

When you are done with all the items you want, it is time to work out the Prices and Shipping amounts, for that second section on the PriceUSA page.
So add to your cart on the Hasbro online store, all the items you are wanting PriceUSA to purchase on your behalf.
Note the total price of the items, and add it into the PriceUSA page.
Next, note the shipping amount that the Hasbro online store quotes for postage within America (it's a standard rate to anywhere in America). Add that into the PriceUSA page on the "shipping in the usa" box.

DOUBLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE ALL YOUR ITEMS ARE LISTED IN THE HASBRO CART, SO THAT YOUR PRICES ARE ACCURATE TO PRICEUSA.

Finally, you will need to select a shipping estimate to Australia on the PriceUSA page.
Since you won't know the exact weights, just select "estimate cheapest" or "estimate fastest" shipping options.
If you are ordering from a different site that lists weights, select the applicable shipping amount.

If you have any extra details or requests, add them into the extra details box as well.

Have a second look over the order page, and if everything is filled out, click on the "get quote" button.

(close up the other window/tab of the Hasbro online store, as you no longer need it - they will now order for you)

You should end up getting an automated email saying that it has been received, and that it will be manually checked within the next business day.

Within that time, an email will then be sent to you to verify if everything is available, and give you a total price of the order. They will also say how much to pay first as a deposit, and give you details of bank accounts at Westpac, NAB, and Commonwealth.
They also give a link to their site, if you want to pay with a credit card or paypal.

As soon as you make payment, they will send 2 or 3 emails to confirm it, and that they are placing the order for you.
They may then email you to let you know that the items were shipped from Hasbro. (they keep you informed of every step)

Within a week, you should get another email to say that the items have arrived at their American address, and that you now have to pay the balance before they repost it to you. (it's quite possible that they might recalculate the amount owing at this time, if their international shipping estimate was way off - as they would only know the actual amount when they receive your package)

When you make that payment, you'll get an email to confirm it, and then within a day or two, another email with the tracking number of you package.

Now you just have to wait for it to arrive, or follow it by its tracking number.

I've been hesitant in promoting this service, because it just seems too good to be true. Or I feel like maybe I accidentally got under-quoted, and now everyone else will feel like they are being shafted with their real prices.
So as with any purchase, take care... and if you do use them, post your feedback here. Because if they are this good all the time, I'm certainly going to be importing more items from the Hasbro Online store in future, especially the occasional exclusive items they sell.

Deonasis
30th January 2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the info griffin. I have been curious about these places. Maybe others could do a similar review/story about Asian post services..

k.wong23
30th January 2012, 11:40 PM
Have used their service for other items and had no problems. I would recommend :)

stirling
10th August 2015, 07:33 PM
I used Price USA for approx 10 buys from the USA. Some transactions completed okay, but 2 have ended up in the hands of Fair Trading. Beware as both Carolina and Daniel Tillett will lead you up the garden path.

griffin
10th August 2015, 09:56 PM
It depends on what those two orders were, and why they attracted the attention of Fair Trading. (not Customs?)

If you were ordering a huge amount of stock, or restricted items, then there would be issues importing it into the country... and for those sorts of things, you do need to do your own homework and not just trust the word of a 3rd party business.
Do take note of what they tell you or advise you, but always double-check everything.

For me, I've never had an issue, and I've never had any other business communicate as much as these guys do. (it's almost like being spammed, they keep you that up-to-date with things)
And since the business has been operating for about 8 years, I can't imagine they are that bad.

Deonasis
10th August 2015, 11:15 PM
I used Price USA for approx 10 buys from the USA. Some transactions completed okay, but 2 have ended up in the hands of Fair Trading. Beware as both Carolina and Daniel Tillett will lead you up the garden path.

Hi Stirling, welcome! Sorry to read a bad experience as your first post :(. Please elaborate what items ended up in the hands of Fair Trading and why it happened?

MrTrick
11th August 2015, 08:35 AM
I've used PriceUSA once many years ago to get the Rock Band compatible guitar approx $300 USD.

Transaction was straight forward and at the end of the day, i think the fees charged and shipping were around AUD$100 in total.

Shipping time was quick too since BB had a next day delivery, I had it delivered to my door in about 1.5 weeks.

Would I use them again? Maybe after some price comparisons since there's a few other businesses offering this type of service now (Auspost Shopmate for example).

Paulbot
11th August 2015, 04:26 PM
Some transactions completed okay, but 2 have ended up in the hands of Fair Trading

Sounds like Stirling had to take the company to Fair Trading to complete the transactions (or fight for money back etc) not that the items they had shipped ended up there.

stirling
17th August 2015, 09:45 PM
I have used Price USA for about a dozen transactions and the last two have ended up with Fair Trading.
The first problem I had with Price USA the business was registered in Victoria and Fair Trading Vic found in my favor and my item was shipped to me.
I then made my mistake of giving Price USA the benefit of the doubt and gave them another go.
The second problem I had with Price USA the business was registered in NSW and fair trading NSW could not instruct Price USA to give me my ordered item that I paid for or give me a refund so I had to take the matter to NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT) as the Fair Trading laws and powers are different in each state.
At the first hearing at NCAT, Carolina Tillett representing Price USA said my payment for my item was with PUSA Pty Ltd and not Price USA. In fact Carolina informed the hearing that she has nothing to do with PUSA Pty Ltd and only answers emails and the phone for PUSA Pty Ltd and my request for my paid for item or refund was with PUSA Pty Ltd which she told the hearing was an American Company. It later came out at the hearing that her husband was in fact a trustee for the trust for PUSA Pty Ltd and so it was determined that PUSA Pty Ltd is in fact an Australian company (A lie by Carolina at a NCAT hearing funded by NSW taxpayers). So the chair of the hearing amended my claim to PUSA Pty Ltd and made a new hearing date.
Three weeks later Daniel Tillett (Carolina Tillett’s husband) turned up on behave of PUSA Pty Ltd to a new hearing for the same request of my item that I had paid for or a refund. Tillett informs the hearing that he has no clue of my claim and no idea on why he is there!!! The chair of the hearing told him that a Tillett (Carolina) had attended a hearing 3 weeks earlier about the same issue and again Tillett claims no knowledge of my claim!!!
Maybe they don't sleep together or even talk but still, don't waste tax payer’s time and money and NCAT time and money.
The hearing made no decision and instructed PUSA Pty Ltd and myself to resolve the issue or come back for a trial in a months’ time. I sent an email the next day to Tillett informing him I want my item or a full refund or I am going to take it to trail. Tillett sent an email back informing me that he has been instructed by his American partner to give me a full refund. Talk about all some and mirrors… It is one lie after another with Price USA, PUSA Pty Ltd and its Trust, Trustees, AEM Forward and Carolina Tillett.
I would suggest people try Reship.com of Forward it to me as they don’t fabricate lies and actually send you’re paid for items.
I know Carolina's track record, she will come on and dispute all my facts but I don't care. I know it’s all true and she is a compulsive liar and always has to have the last say so I will not respond to any reply she will post. Go on Carolina, surprise us by not replying and denying which will be lying.

drifand
18th August 2015, 01:20 PM
That's sounds a lot to do just to save some bucks. I am a bit turned off by this.

griffin
18th August 2015, 03:02 PM
Businesses that set themselves up as Trusts to avoid or minimise tax, just gives the whole thing a dodgy feel to it if they are being sneaky in one area. I'm not saying that these people are doing that, but until these people screw me over, they are cheap and easy enough for me to keep using. (about once every two years)

Since Amazon started shipping to Australia, between them and BBTS (and annual trips to America) I haven't needed to use shipping forwarders enough to set up one of those storage lockers or go through the hassle of testing out a new one... so I just stick with this one for as long as they keep delivering what I pay for.

CoRDS
18th August 2015, 03:56 PM
or just use The Australia post service SHOP mate.

its legal its legit and it works

griffin
18th August 2015, 07:13 PM
or just use The Australia post service SHOP mate.

its legal its legit and it works

HasbroToyShop only accepts US billing address Credit Cards, which means extra steps if using Shopmate. That's one reason why I use PriceUSA, because they use their American partner to purchase from those sites.
If I was buying from HTS or other sites that require US credit cards more than once every two years, I would look at other options... but for this infrequency it isn't worth all the extra effort.

griffin
27th August 2015, 12:35 AM
My SDCC box arrived, and there was a tiny little bit of squishing to the Fembot box, but nothing major, and it wouldn't have been prevented with extra padding, as the entire shipping box looks to have taken some weight. The other toy packagings ended up looking fine.

griffin
13th November 2021, 12:05 AM
Shopmate (set up by Australia Post for Australians to have American items posted to an American address and forwarded to you in Australia) is closing February, to make way for Singapore Post to take over...

On 25 February?2022, the ShopMate parcel-forwarding service will close.

To ensure that parcels arrive in Australia before the closure, here's what you need to do:

Order early. All parcels will need to arrive at the ShopMate centre in the USA before 10 January 2022. Consider delivery delays in the USA and any wait times for items you order
Pay for and declare any outstanding parcels that arrive before 10 January 2022 by 17 January 2022 so that they can be shipped to you in Australia

Take a look at our FAQs for more information
Please remove your ShopMate shipping address anywhere you’re using it

Any parcels remaining at the ShopMate centre in the USA after 17 January 2022 will be returned to the USA merchant, and you may be charged for this*, but we want to help you avoid that happening. If you have any questions, please contact us on 1300 624 475 between 8am-6pm (AEST) Monday – Friday (except national public holidays) or by email on shopmate@auspost.com.au. The team will be available to answer questions up until 25 February 2022.

Our ShopMate partner, Singapore Post has launched VPost in Australia and can ship to you from the USA, UK, Japan, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore and Indonesia. Consider using VPost for your parcel-forwarding needs in the future.

I use comgateway now, as they can order on your behalf (for a fee), which gets around any retailer that only accepts American credit cards (like Hasbro) or refuses to ship to known shipping forwarders (like Target).

Sinnertwin
13th November 2021, 02:23 PM
I'm just curious, with most, if not all of the Target Red Card etc etc TF exclusives being readily available at Asian online retailers, EB, why are people still purchasing from the US?

griffin
13th November 2021, 06:52 PM
I'm just curious, with most, if not all of the Target Red Card etc etc TF exclusives being readily available at Asian online retailers, EB, why are people still purchasing from the US?

I have to admit that shipping forwarders for Transformers toys in recent years has been less necessary, as most Hasbro exclusives have been released here or from several Asian sources. But for those more limited items that sell out too fast during their pre-order period (at reliable sources), or for items that people only decide on getting later when they are released (I'm one who doesn't like pre-ordering months before something is released, as I can end up with a lot of items to keep track of or budget for at a time that might not suit me)... they can sometimes be available for longer on American sites, as America is the home of Hasbro, so they get the most stock in the world.

For me, I wanted some of the R.E.D. figures, and they aren't coming here... nor is it easy to find many of them online for a reasonable price. Since the Walmart website had all but one of the ones that had been released so far (as of last week), I placed an order because that was so much more convenient, but they don't ship outside of America... so submitted my request to the Comgateway site, and the toys arrived at their location in four different boxes... which they can consolidate into one box for a small fee, making it a lot cheaper to ship.

I also have used the Japanese Shipping forwarder WhiteRabbitExpress a few times as well, for the more obscure items that weren't sold through HLJ or on Asian sources that I trust.

I think a shipping forwarder remains an option if there are no other reliable or available options, and I don't want to be constantly having foreign friends helping me out if I can't return the favour.