PDA

View Full Version : Board server problems (2nd June).

griffin
2nd June 2008, 02:47 PM
Server errors are causing problems with postings and other board functions. I have requested help from the server host, and am waiting for a reply.
At the moment it sounds like a database problem, but the server still has a heap of space available to it.
Will report back if I hear anything.

roller
2nd June 2008, 04:58 PM
oh man there coming to get us

duck and cover!!!

Robzy
2nd June 2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks Griffin :)

Pulse
2nd June 2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks Griffin for filling us in. :)

Gotta fight off those damn monsters hiding within threads...

jaydisc
2nd June 2008, 07:49 PM
There are two different IP addresses resolving. Which is right?

72.52.215.34 or 216.193.213.26

Kyle
2nd June 2008, 07:58 PM
I too was trapped in the "old server dimension"!!!!!! :eek:

It's like from a DC comic... Crisis of Infiinite Servers... :p

liegeprime
2nd June 2008, 08:49 PM
hmmm hardly noticed it....:D:D I was on night shift so must've missed it when the server broke down, was working in the am... good to know were back on business, but TFW still is out..

jaydisc
2nd June 2008, 09:23 PM
Looks like my upstream DNS provider finally got the gist.

STL
2nd June 2008, 10:20 PM
It's like from a DC comic... Crisis of Infiinite Servers... :p

:D

kup
2nd June 2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah I am also having difficulties. Standard text posts seems to be fine but if I link a pic it comes back with "Internal Server error"

Kyle
2nd June 2008, 10:55 PM
Yeah I am also having difficulties. Standard text posts seems to be fine but if I link a pic it comes back with "Internal Server error"

Not only pics, but links too.

STL
2nd June 2008, 11:28 PM

I received an PM from Paulbot that appeared in my e-mail but has not yet appeared in my inbox... :confused: we're organising tmrw on sms instead

Robzy
2nd June 2008, 11:52 PM
+1 on both counts! :)

griffin
3rd June 2008, 04:13 AM
There are two different IP addresses resolving. Which is right?

72.52.215.34 or 216.193.213.26

Should be 72.52.215.34
I tried to look it up on a IP search, but couldn't find it to verify.

Soundwarp
3rd June 2008, 08:18 AM
OK you probably know allready but i posted yesterday and today they are wiped.

STL
3rd June 2008, 10:50 AM

Yep, me too. :confused:

jaydisc
3rd June 2008, 11:02 AM
OK you probably know allready but i posted yesterday and today they are wiped.

Hey Warp they're not wiped. They're just on the old server.

I have a technique that can allow people to visit the old server if need be. Lemme know if that is useful to anyone.

EDIT: And posting anything with a URL (image or link) results in a 500 Server Error

iceburn
3rd June 2008, 12:05 PM
EDIT: And posting anything with a URL (image or link) results in a 500 Server Error

+1

workaround for hyperlinks now is not to use the "Insert Link" button but just paste it on the post and then remove the "HTTP" text, leaving www.blah

havent figure it out for images yet..will try it out and post solution here

griffin
3rd June 2008, 03:18 PM
Have attempted to auto-repair the tables/database, and will be installing the new version of vbulletin to see if this fixes the board related issues. The 'no frills' server host I am with has been contacted again, and am still waiting for their response on the server connection issue. Have also asked them if they were doing any server changes or alterations recently.

It seems that we have two different problems, that may or may not be related - accessing of the server, and posting/messaging functions.
The upgrade may fix the posting functions if they are not related to the server IP issue.

I may have to take the board offline when I do the upgrade tonight when I get home (after Midnight eastern time).

iceburn
3rd June 2008, 03:25 PM
:) Beware...Paulbot has taken control over at the "old dimension"...declaring war against the "new dimension"

STL
3rd June 2008, 03:32 PM
I should add Paulbot can't seem to find this board. he keeps going to the old one for some reason.

jaydisc
3rd June 2008, 05:04 PM
Paul's ISP must be ignoring the Time-to-Live set on the DNS records for otca.com.au. Der.

Bad ISP!

Kyle
3rd June 2008, 08:01 PM
:) Beware...Paulbot has taken control over at the "old dimension"...declaring war against the "new dimension"

I'm home from work and back to the new dimension again... :p

The server at work was still stuck with the old dimension, and I reminded Paulbot to look out for Griffin in his Galvatron mode... :D

roller
3rd June 2008, 08:27 PM
tetsuwan cant see this

he says he cant post either

jaydisc
3rd June 2008, 08:31 PM
liegeprime's also on the outside looking in. Uh, well, he can't look in. That's the problem.

Paulbot
3rd June 2008, 08:39 PM
I made it in. :) At work all I can see is this weird mirror version that no one is logging in to, but at home I seem to have to come to the right place. I was right in my guess on the mirror board that posts there are not appearing here. My whole "limbo" thread isn't here, but hopefully it fills in the others that visit the mirror what's going on.

Paulbot
3rd June 2008, 10:00 PM

Just think of the old dimension as "Shattered Glass" where Paulbot is an Evil Autobot :D

liegeprime
3rd June 2008, 10:19 PM
And suddenly i got in!!! My goodness i was totally outside, the otca door would not open at all not a peek to see... there gnashing of the teeth, plucking of hair, screaming bloody murder but it was to no avail... the server did not let me in, finally after slumping from exhaustion plus the fact that my stiff neck is killing me ( still is) I got connected..... i got in ... in slow motion, but still in, thank goodness withdrawal symptoms not a very pleasant experience....... btw ty jay, ice:D

Robzy
3rd June 2008, 11:09 PM
I was sliding between dimensions!

I hope I'm in the right place now...

jaydisc
4th June 2008, 08:59 AM
Have attempted to auto-repair the tables/database, and will be installing the new version of vbulletin to see if this fixes the board related issues. The 'no frills' server host I am with has been contacted again, and am still waiting for their response on the server connection issue. Have also asked them if they were doing any server changes or alterations recently.

It seems that we have two different problems, that may or may not be related - accessing of the server, and posting/messaging functions.
The upgrade may fix the posting functions if they are not related to the server IP issue.

I may have to take the board offline when I do the upgrade tonight when I get home (after Midnight eastern time).

Hi Griffin, did you do the upgrade?

I think that the 500 error is an issue at the Apache/server level, and the submitting of ANY form whose contents include "ht*p://" is forbidden. This is most likely an anti-spam measure to stop scalpers spammers from increasing their Google PageRank by polluting your/our site with links to theirs, or a security measure to prevent cross-site scripting attacks.

EDIT: in other words, I don't think it's a vBulletin issue.

Paulbot
4th June 2008, 10:08 AM
And I have tried to update my signature with no link, no picture, but it always fails.

i_amtrunks
4th June 2008, 10:11 AM
That was odd, I had no issues getting on the site yesterday morn, but come 2pm could not load the site at all. Good to be back online now!

STL
4th June 2008, 10:30 AM
And I have tried to update my signature with no link, no picture, but it always fails.

I see your sig pic. :confused:

jaydisc
4th June 2008, 10:32 AM
That was odd, I had no issues getting on the site yesterday morn, but come 2pm could not load the site at all. Good to be back online now!

Are you with TPG? Liege had the same issue and I was of the opinion that it's their forced, blind proxy server. Liege put in a support request and his problem went away in about 15 minutes.

iceburn
4th June 2008, 10:35 AM
I see your sig pic. :confused:

that's because he (or we) cant change the sig details.
it always fail....this is upsetting :P

i_amtrunks
4th June 2008, 10:53 AM
Are you with TPG? Liege had the same issue and I was of the opinion that it's their forced, blind proxy server. Liege put in a support request and his problem went away in about 15 minutes.

Yeah with TPG in the office. (and soon to be at home too) Seems that Leige's support request cleared up any issues! Thanks Leige!

griffin
4th June 2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Griffin, did you do the upgrade?

I think that the 500 error is an issue at the Apache/server level, and the submitting of ANY form whose contents include "ht*p://" is forbidden. This is most likely an anti-spam measure to stop scalpers spammers from increasing their Google PageRank by polluting your/our site with links to theirs, or a security measure to prevent cross-site scripting attacks.

EDIT: in other words, I don't think it's a vBulletin issue.

I wasn't able to do the upgrade last night because apparently, the server may have locked me out as a potential hacker.

I was finally able to talk to the server admin, and as you had guessed, they had changed servers over the weekend, and it has just taken a few days to have the new IP filter through to everyone's ISP.
They have upgraded the server to something fancy and new, and as a consequence, it is affecting connections and board functions.
The connection issue should resolve itself, and probably has already. But if you are having a problem connecting to any of pages or board on the otca server, it could be that your ISP has been blocked like mine might have been.
Let me know if that is the case.

The issue of the board functions, which involve links, pictures or PMs, should also be caused by new fancy server, because it has a higher level of security screening.
The server admin said I should see if the problem resolves itself when I upgrade this board, but I obviously wasn't able to do it last night because of the block to all my access attempts.

I had to resort to using a proxy browser just to access the board and tried to post this with it, but couldn't, so fortunately I was now able to access it properly. So it means the server admin was able to unblock me, and I should be upgrading the board tonight. I'd prefer to do it while no one is connected, so have to wait until after midnight.

The server admin says that upgrading vbulletin should fix the board problems, as it should bring it up to be more compatible to the new server and its operating systems.

For those wondering about the 2 different boards in the last few days, the new server is indeed a different IP address.
Old server - 216.193.213.25
New server - 72.52.215.34

I can access the old board, and will have a look to see if any important postings need to be recorded.

Kyle
4th June 2008, 02:14 PM
I can access the old board, and will have a look to see if any important postings need to be recorded.

Paulbot, Galvatron is coming for ya~! :D

griffin
4th June 2008, 02:20 PM
Oh, and yes, it would have been nice to know before hand that the server host was doing this upgrade and transfer. At least we wouldn't have been as much in the dark, and would know in advance that there could be some bugs in the process.

iceburn
4th June 2008, 02:30 PM
i guess they thought it would be a seamless process but....

griffin
4th June 2008, 03:07 PM
Others are also having problems with accessing the server. It seems that the new security screening measures/settings of the new server is blocking people too easily. It even blocked the proxy browser I was using an hour ago. :(
Have sent a message to the server admin, requesting that the blocking setting either be turned down, or off.

Soundwarp
4th June 2008, 03:12 PM
OK i\'m in but i\'m having to use \"Boom Proxy\"

kup
4th June 2008, 03:29 PM
I am still having issues linking pictures, I get an Internal Server error everytime I do. Sigs seem to work fine however even though they are originating from the same source as the pics.

griffin
4th June 2008, 07:50 PM
Tried to do this before I went to work tonigh, but failed to work around the problem with posting or emailing links.
Am home early from work due to a *minor* injury, and will try to get this message out to as many as I can before I go to bed.

I have set up an off-site back-up option for the board and domain, for people to be able to refer to if ever they can't access the main site, like now. It is a yahoo group, for the purpose of posting notices and updates of any problems the board is having, and doesn't require membership to view postings on it. If you wanted to post there for some reason, you would need to register and be activated.

au.groups.yahoo.com/group/otca/

The new server appears to be too agressive with its blacklisting of IPs, and until the host admin is able to adjust it (will call them up again tomorrow), I can't do anything from my end for those who are being blocked.
I'd suggest using a proxy browser, but the one I used today has now been blocked as well, so I can't even recommend that either.

In case I can't get the message system to work from the board, please pass on the link to others.