PDA

View Full Version : US collectors get more coupons from Hasbro... again

griffin
29th January 2012, 12:51 AM
Hasbro America are offering some coupons for their major brands (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hasbro-coupons-for-dotm-deluxe-kreo-and-rescue-bots-fire-station/23823/), including Transformers... which fans can take to any store in America it seems, until the end of February. For Transformers, there is a coupon for DotM Deluxes (bringing them down to about $9), plus Kre-O & Rescue Bot coupons.

Imagine having $9 Deluxe toys here... or even cheaper, considering the current exchange rate.
Or, going by our inflated Transformers prices, that'd be about $18 here.

See, this is why Transformers fails to gain significant "cultural" popularity and momentum in this country, because we don't see our Hasbro supporting the Brand themselves like the American Hasbro keep doing on such a regular basis.
Instead, it seems to be up to the retailers here to do the promoting or discounting - which for them is just to make sales or clear out stock. Because there is no interest from the retailers to "invest" into the brands to support them, because it's not their brands... so if those products/brands fail to sell, the retailers just shrug it off and buy a different brand next year.

And if we don't have a cartoon on free-to-air TV, or a Movie in theatres, to promote the brand, sales slump, because nothing outside of a retailer having a sale, will motivate consumers here to buy Transformers (or any toy brand).

I think if distributors in this country wanted to see sustained success in their Brands here, that don't have TV or Movies behind them, they need to get behind their Brands more, and proactively to the consumers, not just the retailers. Retailers just don't care if a brand succeeds or fails in the long run, as there'll be more toy options available for them to stock next year.

We here (this site) helped make Transformers the most active online toy franchise in this country BEFORE Hasbro had Michael Bay bring it to the mainstream... and what do we get in return - no replies to my future product queries. They are biting the hand that feeds them, so you can hopefully understand why I'm a bit frustrated.

And what about the lack of licensed merchandise in Australia for Transformers. Anyone with business experience knows that you need to have your product "advertised" as much as possible... something that obviously isn't happening with their expensive, inflexible licensing fees. The toys are the money earner, not the licensing fees, so why even charge a fee on authorised, quality merchandise to begin with? The more non-toy merchandise is out there, the more "in their face" advertising occurs, drawing customers to the real money earning toyline.
Transformers is supposed to be in its most successful state since 1984-85, but where is all the Transformers-Branded stuff in the Department stores?
Even with the Movie last year, I am still seeing merchandise with a range of several popular kids Brands that excludes Transformers.
Just look at all the Back-To-School stuff in stores.
We all wanted Transformers school stuff when we were in the younger grades at school... where is it right now?
What is Hasbro thinking?
Every School-related item should have been available, branded with a Transformers image or name, as official merchandise... so that it promotes the brand to other kids, and subliminally advertises the toyline to the owner of the merchandise and all around him/her.
Are they stubborn with their licensing fees, or just not realise basic Business principles when it comes to Brand advertising? Anyone can see that if you promote a toy Brand in as many non-Toy departments of the stores as possible, it'll get people to want to take the trek into a toy store/section. The more awareness they generate outside of the toystore, the more interest and sales of Toys it'll generate.
Is that NOT obvious?
Am I missing something, or is Hasbro licensing policy more important than their Toys?
The people at Hasbro should be constantly chasing companies and begging for them to be producing merchandise, because there's no such thing as too much advertising. More so during times when other marketing elements are not present (TV & Movies).
Everywhere we look, we should be seeing Transformers merchandise, instead of just Ben10, Dora, Wiggles and Barbie. Even during the Movie "Seasons", there was no saturation of Transformer Merchandise.
It's almost like the many years of prohibitive licensing since Gen1, scared off or killed off the interest. All that time during the 5-10 years before the first Movie, it was almost impossible to find non-toy Transformers Merchandise.
Hasbro should take a look at Coke or McDonalds. Everyone already knows about them, but those companies still spend millions to make sure it's on everyone's mind as often as possible, and in our faces everywhere, so that we can't escape it.
If Hasbro ever wants to be the number 1 Toy company, they need to understand the concept of mass-marketing of their Brands, chasing up merchandise items... double so during times when there are no TV shows or Movies to move the toys. If a kid or parent is likely to only spend less than 1% of their life in or near a Toy store/section - what is being done to get them in there if there are no TV shows, no Movies, and no Merchandise or promotions from Hasbro?
Even if the exchange-rate savings were passed on to halve the price of our toys here, the Retailer sales would still end up being the only thing getting people into the stores to buy toys.
If you lose the TV & Movie marketing elements, it's smart business to offset it by increasing marketing of other known productive elements - promotions and non-toy merchandise.

Maybe it's just the Toyfair environment we have in this country, in which the toy companies just hand off responsibility of their own Brands, to the retailers, by chasing after them and begging them to buy their products.

Or maybe the point of Merchandise seems to be lost on Hasbro, as they don't seem to see it as a way of preventing parents and kids from "escaping" a toyline, no matter where they are... because it will be subliminally promoting the Brand every time they see it. An expensive, set fee is just so prohibitive to getting their Toy Brand out of the Toy store/section and into the faces of the intended demographic and their parents. Not to mention being very restrictive (according to some past and present license holders).
Since everything needs to be approved by Hasbro anyway, to meet minimum standards, (as it should) it just makes no sense to stunt their own toyline's success by limiting the potential of this form of free advertising?
I mean, if Hasbro aren't going to be doing much promoting of the Brand themselves here (leaving it up to retailers who don't care about Brands), why put a stop to companies who would want to do the job for them?

Getting a Brand or its image out to the consumers as cheaply and as thoroughly as possible... is basic business. But here it seems that without a Movie or Free-to-air TV show, toy Brands like Transformers are left to shrivel up and be neglected (by distributors, then retailers and finally the consumer).
Just look at what happened to the Star Wars Action Figures in the last year - the Movies and TV show had the toys filling whole aisles in stores. Now, there is nothing picking up the slack of what has proven to be a popular toyline, so it barely takes up a column of pegs in most stores.
Don't think that it can't happen to Transformers too. Because that's what it was like during times of no TV or Movies... and will again if we don't see more direct marketing to Consumers and less prohibitive merchandise licensing, to get the Brand out there... everywhere.

(I was only going to rant this on my blog, but Hasbro are more likely to see it here)

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2012, 11:21 AM
I completely agree with everything you say. In my personal experience I have found Hasbro Australia to be inflexible with it comes to helping out the fandom and refusing to budge on their licensing policy.

When I approached Hasbro in organising Transformers booths and conventions, they really didn't go out of their way at all to help me - the most helpful thing was offering to sell me previous years' BotCon exclusive toys to sell. I asked if they would be willing to produce a limited run of exclusive toys for us -- minimum order: 1000 units. They must have known full well that there's no way we'd get 1000 people into a TF convention in Australia (not even the first BotCon had that many attendees)... but they wouldn't budge, saying that anything less wouldn't be worth their while. Well okay, maybe it would be impractical to ask them to repaint 200 Spychangers... moving onto something I think they could have budged on...

Then I asked if I could get their official sanction for the exclusive comic - they told me it would cost $10,000; knowing full well that it was a fan-made comic as part of a fan-run convention. Like you said, this is like biting the hand that feeds them. The convention and exclusive merchandise would have helped to promote the Transformers brand. It's in Hasbro's own best interests to help the fandom, because we in turn help promote the brand.

Everyone knows that word of mouth is the most effective form of promotion -- if we, the consumers, are happy with products and the brand and company, then we in turn will tell others about it. And likewise if we're unhappy. And we don't just say this to other adult collectors, we say it other children and their parents too. I often offer my advice to kids and parents when I see them shopping for Transformers in stores -- advising them to avoid certain toys and I'll tell them why, or recommending them to get a certain toy and I'll tell them why. Like the number of times I see kids or parents about to buy a Speed Star not realising that they don't transform (because the disclaimer is printed in tiny writing that it's easy to overlook). And likewise the number of times I've warned people about Combiner Class Devastator and it's inability to transform into individual robots. Usually people thank me for informing them as consumers. And that's what it is -- talk between fellow consumers, irrespective of whether the consumer is a long-term collector, child or parent purchasing for a child.

Okay, maybe a few hundred units is too small for a Hasbro production run... fine. But surely they could have waived that licensing fee, or even just lowered it to some small amount affordable to an individual fan (whereas the fees they charge are aimed at manufacturers; and even then it's still prohibitive as evidenced by the sheer lack of merchandising available out there). But they didn't, so it does seem that their licensing policy is more important than their toys. (-_-)

And then Hasbro's licensing policy places further restrictions on the licensee anyway, like dictating exactly which characters they're allowed to use. That's why Jay Jay's TF apparel (and other licensed TF apparel) are chock full of the staple Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, Grimlock, Soundwave, Hot Rod, Devastator and... not much else. There's a limited cast of characters that Hasbro allows their licensees to use, which is why we don't see other characters like Beachcomber, Thundercracker, Cliffjumper, Skywarp, Gears, Bludgeon, Nightbeat any G2 or Beast Wars or RiD characters... anyone other than that really limited core cast that Hasbro allows their licensees to use. It's not that licensees like Jay Jays don't want to use a wider range of characters, it's just that Hasbro won't let them!

What?? So naturally we're stuck with the same core group of characters over and over again.

The fact that we see a lot of unlicensed merchandise crop up - like car badges, car seat covers, stickers etc. - shows how popular the brand is atm... and these things are selling well! When I go into my local auto accessory store, I sometimes have trouble getting the exact badge I want cos it's sold out! And the staff tell me that the products are selling well. The other day I saw someone driving a car with a G2 Autobot sticker on the rear window -- that's gotta be unlicensed.

Hasbro Australia should be striking while the iron's hot, but instead they're just sitting there waiting for the franchise to sell itself. Far too reactive instead of pro active. 2004 for the 20th anniversary of Transformers -- which is why I wanted to do the Sabretron convention in that year... and yet got bugger all support from Hasbro AU.

Hasbro should take a look at Coke or McDonalds. Everyone already knows about them, but those companies still spend millions to make sure it's on everyone's mind as often as possible, and in our faces everywhere, so that we can't escape it.
+1. Irrespective of what we may think about these products, they do have some pretty effective marketing campaigns.

kup
29th January 2012, 12:06 PM
I agree with everything that has been said. However (and I could be wrong) but didn't the movie licensing right earn them more money than what the toys did for all 3 TF movies?

(I was only going to rant this on my blog, but Hasbro are more likely to see it here)

Are you sure that they would see it? Why not a direct approach and modify this post into a formal letter to them?

griffin
29th January 2012, 02:11 PM
However (and I could be wrong) but didn't the movie licensing right earn them more money than what the toys did for all 3 TF movies?

I wouldn't know figures, but I can't imagine it. I do know that they were selling about $20million a year in Australia on TF toys during the Movie years... so to beat that in licensing fees, they'd need to have over 2,000 different licensed companies (each license of about $10,000 allows for a range of items, not just per item). We'd be lucky to have 30 or 40 merchandise licenses out here in Australia. The main ones I can think of include JayJays (several items under one license), Popbox (about a hundred items, probably for a couple of licenses), Icehouse Press (one license), Funtastic I think (a couple licenses for costumes and stationary). I could look at the Merchandise sightings topic for other random items we've had in the last year, but that's the majority of non-toy stuff in this country for about 10 licenses.
Each one would be looking at a million dollar license, per year, to beat Hasbro's sales in recent years.

The movie made $37 million (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=12698) at the box office last year for DotM in Australia, compared to an estimated $20 million in toy sales... and I'd imagine licensing would be making up a distant third in this country, with the scarcity of items here.
But that was the point though - licensing shouldn't be an element of revenue for Toyline Brands... it should be an element of marketing and advertising. For a greater success of the Toy brand itself.

5FDP
29th January 2012, 04:11 PM
It's because of this attitude that Hasbro AUS has towards the dedicated fans here in this country that I have cut-back spending on collecting new product almost to a point where I have stopped.

Hursticon
31st January 2012, 03:42 PM
I agree with you entirely guys but do you see now Griffin why I've felt for quite sometime that Hasbro AU is purely a soulless distribution arm? :o

It has been clear for years that our local branch doesn't give two shakes of crap, it hasn't since the G1 days and that is almost 2 decades ago! :confused:; you and the members of local fansites have done more to promote this brand than they have for many years and (No slight against you dude or any other owner/operator of an AU fansite) that is just pathetic on Hasbro's part. :rolleyes:

It is very clear that the vast majority of Hasbro AU employees do not care at all about or take pride in their employer or their brands, they're hired to merely fill positions so that someone is at the warehouse to accept and distribute merchandise & pander to AU Retail who cares even less than they do :mad:; Hasbro Corporate really needs to take a long hard look at the efforts and track record of the upper management of Hasbro AU and IMO seriously consider purging it or closing down the branch entirely. :cool:

IMO we'd get more of an effort and better distribution from Hasbro HK than this current mob, and this isn't just some silly diatribe rant from an Adult Child - The brand and company as a whole suffers majorly in this country (Possibly NZ too if one of our Kiwi mates would like to shed some light on their situation too maybe?) and it will not see any sort of growth or loyalty from customers into future if it is going to purely rely on the current batch of Major Retailers to promote it's wares -

"@HASBRO AU: Pull your bloody finger out!"

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2012, 04:14 PM
You do get some employees at Hasbro AU who care, but then they're thwarted by the corporate structure and those from above.

It's like Hasbro punishes you (or at least provides massive disincentives) for trying to work with them as fans... there's greater incentive to just do things without their express knowledge or consent because then you don't have to go through all their obstacles.

Times like this I feel really mad... we've been loyal and avid collectors of Hasbro's Transformers brand for 28 years now. And how do they reward us for our unyielding loyalty? Well... they don't. This is NOT how you should be treating your long-term loyal customer base! :mad: We've stuck through Transformers through its best times and its worst times... and sometimes I feel like Hasbro just kicks us in the guts for all our trouble. :(

kup
31st January 2012, 04:23 PM
Times like this I feel really mad... we've been loyal and avid collectors of Hasbro's Transformers brand for 28 years now. And how do they reward us for our unyielding loyalty? Well... they don't. This is NOT how you should be treating your long-term loyal customer base! :mad: We've stuck through Transformers through its best times and its worst times... and sometimes I feel like Hasbro just kicks us in the guts for all our trouble. :(

I have always been a believer that loyalty is a two way road. If only one side is loyal while the other is not then it falls more within the realm of exploitation. I don't want to be the fan version of an abused wife, constantly getting a slap in the face as a reward for my ever present care and support.

That is why I have no loyalty towards Hasbro - Why should I? They don't have any loyalty towards me as a customer, fan and unofficial promoter of their products.

I say that for any future convention/event/booth, we should borrow a page from 3rd party company practices and just create our own 'robots that transform' theme. As Hasbro said, don't ask, don't tell.