PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Optimus Prime v2

griffin
30th January 2012, 01:40 AM
(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Toy Review - Optimus Prime
Series - Transformers Prime
Sub-line - Robots in Disguise
Size/class - Voyager/Powerizer
Wave - 1
New/remould/redeco - New
Released here - March 2012 (Released globally Jan 2012)
Approximate Retail Price - ($45-50?) US$20
Approximate Size - (18cm?)
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Truck
Main Features/Gimmicks - parts that are illuminated from light-sources
Main Colours - Red, blue, grey
Main Accessories - Sword, gun

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/tfpr06.jpg

Jinto
31st January 2012, 03:43 PM
I'll consider it if they bring him out as Orion Pax. Providing he has a new face sculpt. Hopefully some better paint apps on the chest too.
Blech at the clear plastic arms :confused:

Tallestblue
31st January 2012, 09:30 PM
Seriously. WTF is this piece of garbage. Just re-release the damn First Edition.

(Yes I am VERY mad about them not coming out.)

klystron
1st February 2012, 11:23 PM
Seriously. WTF is this piece of garbage. Just re-release the damn First Edition.

(Yes I am VERY mad about them not coming out.)

+1

GoktimusPrime
4th March 2012, 12:59 AM
Comparison pics between Hasbro First Edition Voyager, Takara First Edition Voyager and PRiDE Voyager Optimus Primes have been posted here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=289533&postcount=5)

SMHFConvoy
6th March 2012, 07:19 PM
I don't mind him. I don't mind the clear blue forearms and the sword. What I don't like is the gun.

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2012, 10:00 PM
I had the opportunity to examine griffin's PRiDE Voyager Optimus Prime and compare it with both his Hasbro FE Voyager and my Takara FE Voyager Optimus Prime, and I gotta say, the First Edition Voyager mould is superior to PRiDE Optimus Prime hands down.

The only positive thing I can say about PRiDE OP is that he's easier to transform... because the engineering is so much simpler. But FE Prime's transformation isn't frustrating difficult or anything, so PRiDE Optimus Prime's transformation is useful for very young children who may lack the patience or motor skills to transform FE OP - but otherwise offers inferior value for money compared to FE-OP.

The simplified transformation/engineering also makes the robot mode look not as nice as FE-OP, making this toy a lot more kibble-rrific. The sword is fine, although not as screen-like as FE-OP; but there's fundamentally nothing wrong with it. The chest and upper body just look ridiculous and the chest-windows don't seem to hold out properly and have a tendency to pop back in during excessive handling/play.

The gun gimmick is forgettable, although I must say that IMO it works and looks a lot better than the gun gimmick on Megatron (not that PRiDE Megaton sets a very high standard or anything :p). At least PRiDE OP's gun does sit flush with the forearm, meaning that the light is piped into the blue parts -- whereas Megatron's weapon "bleeds" the light out because it's not directly connected to his purple transparent bits, making the light pipe rather useless. So as lame as the design of this gimmick may be, it's better executed on Optimus Prime than it is on Megatron.

This toy is by far the poorest of the Voyager TF Prime Optimus Prime toys... if I didn't know any better I'd think it was a poor KO of FE Voyager Prime. I cannot think of a single reason to recommend this toy... even Deluxe Optimus Prime is a better figure than this toy. So even if you find him discounted to the price of a Deluxe, I'd recommend just getting the Deluxe! Unless you can find this toy at the price of a Scout Class or cheaper, I'd recommend avoiding it and getting any of the First Edition Optimus Primes.

Seriously. WTF is this piece of garbage.
"Piece of garbage" is a very apt description.

I'll consider it if they bring him out as Orion Pax. Providing he has a new face sculpt. Hopefully some better paint apps on the chest too.
Blech at the clear plastic arms :confused:
Better yet - retool the Deluxe figure and release him as Orion Pax. A cheaper and superior figure to this mould.

The_Damned
6th March 2012, 10:05 PM
Writing essay's again gok :p

UltraMarginal
7th March 2012, 04:47 PM
Question: since FE Prime is sitting around the $70 - $80 mark on the secondary market, does paying $40 - $50 for a PRiDE Voyager Prime make it then better or equivalent value for money. or still worse value for money if you're looking for a big Prime to lead your Autobots.

Doubledealer
7th March 2012, 06:34 PM
Question: since FE Prime is sitting around the $70 - $80 mark on the secondary market, does paying $40 - $50 for a PRiDE Voyager Prime make it then better or equivalent value for money. or still worse value for money if you're looking for a big Prime to lead your Autobots.

Pay the extra $18 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HASBRO-TRANSFORMERS-Optimus-Prime-Figure-Voyager-Class-Animated-First-Edition-/330690938493?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionF igures_JN&hash=item4cfeb7467d). You won't regret it. :)

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2012, 09:23 PM
:confused: This toy was only released about 3-4 months ago... surely not so long ago that I would consider it to be "aftermarket" and accept inflated prices. :confused:

I recommend:
1/ Wait until you find a FE Voy OP at RRP
2/ Bite the bullet and pay the extra $18

Doubledealer
7th March 2012, 09:35 PM
Found a cheaper FE Prime at $63 (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-Harbro-Prime-First-Edition-Optimus-Prime-Figure-/260948835096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc1c33b18) so only $13 more than the RiD release.

Unfortunately the cheapest Takara FE Prime at the moment is $141.

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2012, 11:24 PM
This one is AU$53 (http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/HASBRO-TRANSFORMERS-Optimus-Prime-Figure-Voyager-Class-Animated-First-Edition-/330685429274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe63361a). All online non-eBay sources I've checked out either don't stock TFP FE or are out of stock of FE Voyager OP. :(

Doubledealer
7th March 2012, 11:27 PM
The item is $53 but you haven't factored in the shipping cost amigo.

Prowl
8th March 2012, 07:40 PM
I got Megs & OP for $42 I think + shipping. For that money they are not bad value but I would not pay $50 for one even with a shotgun at my head.

I only kept Primes craphouse "gun" incase I decide to sell him but I may break it on principal. Not a fan of the clear plastic but I did find the Prime transformation "fun" & since transforming them is the only "play" I do with them it is a quite enjoyable toy. Just not RRP enjoyable.

Doubledealer
9th March 2012, 12:42 AM
I've heard quite a few people mention how fun RiD Prime's transformation is now. He also doesn't sport the fake chest like the FE, which is a big plus for some people. There's always the Takara RiD release to consider too, it has arguably nicer colours and comes with a Shockwave Targetmaster. I hope we're not making the decision harder for you UltraMarginal. :D

Stompy
9th March 2012, 02:14 AM
I actually like the RiD Prime. Granted the 1st ed is yet to be in my spindly hands (it's coming though ;) but it's not a bad figure. As DD said, the lack of fake kibble and an actual fun transformation that is actually quite intuitive is a plus for this figure. Also, the alt mode having less seams that the 1st Ed.

A few downsides. The weapon is pretty crappy looking but the sword is nice. The back kibble can be a little big and worst of all, is mine had loose leg to waist ball joint, making posing tricky. Might have to coat the ball with some glue.

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2012, 11:56 AM
The main advantage w/ PRiDE OP using the vehicle mode windscreens for the chest is that the shoulders aren't prone to popping out like on FE Voy OP. But I find that PRiDE OP's chest windows don't lock out firmly and are prone to sliding back in during handling/play. But the one thing that really hurts the look of this toy is the lack of paint apps on the body - it'd look a better if there were some red on the 'ribs' to break up the grey.

As for the seams, the most noticeable seams are the ones that bisect the vehicle mode along the grill, bonnet and wind vane - and PRiDE has seams in these places too. Not that I mind them on either mould. :) But PRiDE OP's vehicle mode suffers from several holes on the sides of the cab and just generally it's a short truck!! (chibi!!!) Typical PRiDE... same price points for smaller toys. :( The holes on the roof for the weapons looks unsightly too IMO.

Anyway, here's a comparison photo between FE Voy and PRiDE OPs.
L-R: Takara First Edition, TFP Robots In Disguise, Hasbro First Edition
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/comparisons/Transformers%20Prime%20Optimus%20Prime/comparison_prime_voyhastak_rid.jpg

And here's how they compare with the show model:
Top-bottom: HAS FE, TAK FE, HAS RiD
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/comparisons/Transformers%20Prime%20Optimus%20Prime/comparison_prime_voyhastak_show.jpg

More comparison pics can be seen here (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=289833#post289833).