PDA

View Full Version : Amazon America feedback

SkyWarp91
31st January 2012, 04:23 AM
Hi folks,

I've never bought from this site before but from my understanding, you can order DVDs (such as the TF Michael Bay Movie Trilogy set) and possibly TF toys to be imported into Australia but am still uncertain about a couple of things and hoping that perhaps some fellow members can answer these questions.

I know some of these questions could be answered from Googling around but I'd prefer an Otca-narian's opinion over some anonymous over the interwebs. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

1) Are they trustworthy? Has anyone had any real bad experiences with Amazon.com?

2) What is the postage method they use? International Air Mail? UPS? FedEx?

3) I tried ordering a toyset (Halo Mega Bloks Exclusive Set #96971 - Floodgate Set) but when I got to the shipping screen, it said that the item could not be added to my shopping cart. Why is this so? Are toys not allowed to be shipped here? :confused:

Thanks again

- Skywarp91

griffin
31st January 2012, 10:27 AM
Toys and some other items have restrictions, and can only be posted to an American address (if it is something you desperately want, perhaps try PriceUSA, in our Dealer section).

Quite a few of us have used them, for TFs DVDs that aren't released here, and that 25th Anniversary Unicron, which was a surprising exception to their toy posting restriction.
Shipping is usually USPS, but they probably offer other options.
I recently had delivered the Prime DVD, and am waiting on the Trilogy boxset, which I had on pre-order.
Just note that they are also agents for other (registered) sellers and businesses, so if you want to be sure of extra protection, just buy items directly from them (if they list multiple options).

5FDP
31st January 2012, 10:30 AM
I've bought from Amazon on several occasions. Never had an issue with them being unable to ship something, although I've pretty much only ordered books.

The one annoying thing about them is the digital downloads. I tried to order the soundtrack for Supernatural however it was not available for download in my region :confused: It's all good though; there are other methods and Amazon missed out on getting my money.

It's been about 6-8 months since my last order so I can't recall what shipping method they used. Sorry.

One thing to keep in mind too is that just because you're ordering from Amazon doesn't mean you get it from Amazon. They literally have 100's of supply chains.

mentok27
31st January 2012, 11:47 AM
I've spent thousands on amazon.com, one of the best online retailers... Bargain shipping(though they don't pack expensive hardcovers as good as I'd like) they don't ship everything they stock to Australia.... I don't know their exact policy but I've not been able to get pocket knives, nerf blasters, TF toys or sex toys. I mostly just buy all my comic books from them. Robot kingdom and BBTS are easier to get Tf's from online.

Cat
31st January 2012, 12:20 PM
I've spent thousands on amazon.com, one of the best online retailers... Bargain shipping(though they don't pack expensive hardcovers as good as I'd like) they don't ship everything they stock to Australia.... I don't know their exact policy but I've not been able to get pocket knives, nerf blasters, TF toys or sex toys. I mostly just buy all my comic books from them. Robot kingdom and BBTS are easier to get Tf's from online.

0_o

One of these things is not like the other.... :cool:

I use Amazon for a hell of a lot of books, particularly Marvel omnibus editions and OHC's from various companies (and occasionally Blu-Rays).

Any time I've had a problem, it's been fixed with a replacement immediately. I'm completely happy dealing with them.

mentok27
31st January 2012, 12:49 PM
0_o

One of these things is not like the other.... :cool:

I use Amazon for a hell of a lot of books, particularly Marvel omnibus editions and OHC's from various companies (and occasionally Blu-Rays).

Any time I've had a problem, it's been fixed with a replacement immediately. I'm completely happy dealing with them.

Yeah the pocket knives.... They are not to be played with! Everything else it's all fun and games.

I know amazon proper won't ship TF toys but other sellers using the amazon store may be able too.

canofwhoopass_87
2nd February 2012, 09:00 AM
Ya I reckon amazon is probably more suitable for multimedia and books. I used to buy all my novels from there, but I find there are alternative sites that offer much better prices and cheaper shipping. abebooks and bookdepository come to mind.

In terms of transformers though, to me it seems that the majority of the stuff is overpriced or just the standard stuff you'll find in stores/anywhere else.

Also, there's no paypal (which outside of ebay at least provides some basic buyer protection). Not a fan of paying via credit card online.

Cat
2nd February 2012, 09:44 AM
Ya I reckon amazon is probably more suitable for multimedia and books. I used to buy all my novels from there, but I find there are alternative sites that offer much better prices and cheaper shipping. abebooks and bookdepository come to mind.

In terms of transformers though, to me it seems that the majority of the stuff is overpriced or just the standard stuff you'll find in stores/anywhere else.

Also, there's no paypal (which outside of ebay at least provides some basic buyer protection). Not a fan of paying via credit card online.

Your credit card provider also provides you with protection, and it's longer than Paypals (Paypal = 45 days, pretty much all CC companies = 3 months).

LordCyrusOmega
2nd February 2012, 03:23 PM
I've only brought from them once. Some game guides I needed as they were cheap. I clicked the ship it fast option, which was more expensive but really quick (couple of days from memory)

I tried to buy some Kenner Alien and Predator toys but the majority weren't able to be shipped here :(

I'll buy from them again

1AZRAEL1
2nd February 2012, 04:13 PM
I bought a number of cds from them a few years back and got them all. Some took a little longer but I got em. I recently used them again to buy a few more cds and dvds and a book, but one of the dvd/cds i really wanted they couldn't ship to Australia due to legal reasons.

As Griffin suggested, try using PriceUSA to see if you can get it, I will be trying them over the weekend to see if I can get it that way.

All in all though, they are a pretty good resource for buying stuff from IMO.

liegeprime
2nd February 2012, 05:09 PM
Well ive only bought comic books from Amazon. From my understanding it depends on who's the supplier listed your buying it from. So shipping varies as well as packing and item condition coz every seller under them has prolly a different standard on how they grade their items. Shipping wise Ive had items come from 15 days or more. Though I did have one item shipped express which cost me a bit more but it did arrive less than 15 days. Havent tried to buy anything else from them yet....

One thing ive noticed though is they take time to charge so if you do order something better be sure to keep enough cash in your account as it may take days before they charge it and if you dont have enough left , your in for some penalty charges.

SkyWarp91
7th February 2012, 03:47 AM
So I bought a few DVDs from Amazon, but the expected delivery date is mid-march? Even though they have emailed me saying that the items have been shipped?

This sound normal?

Cat
7th February 2012, 03:58 AM
So I bought a few DVDs from Amazon, but the expected delivery date is mid-march? Even though they have emailed me saying that the items have been shipped?

This sound normal?

Which shipping method do you use?

They do tend to over-estimate a fair bit of the time, but it varies depending on time of year, etc.

Most of the time you'll receive them well before the 'expected' date.

Mid-March sounds about right if you chose the slowest option, as that takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

Medium option is the one I generally always go with, it's pretty much at the LATEST exactly two weeks from date of order.

The quickest is.........quickest......and is usually here by about 5 days after order.

I mostly get books from them though. I don't know how big your order was, but DVD's are usually a bit quicker.

SkyWarp91
7th February 2012, 04:19 AM
Which shipping method do you use?

They do tend to over-estimate a fair bit of the time, but it varies depending on time of year, etc.

Most of the time you'll receive them well before the 'expected' date.

Mid-March sounds about right if you chose the slowest option, as that takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

Medium option is the one I generally always go with, it's pretty much at the LATEST exactly two weeks from date of order.

The quickest is.........quickest......and is usually here by about 5 days after order.

I mostly get books from them though. I don't know how big your order was, but DVD's are usually a bit quicker.

I chose the quickest method (and paid extra for it as well), and still got those estimate dates :/

jena
7th February 2012, 11:09 AM
I bought a comic book from amazon just recently and the estimated delivery date was the 7th of March and it arrived today, a whole month early on the 7th of Feb and it was shipped on the 24th of January, exactly 14 days. That was just the standard normal cheaper shipping.

I think my Unicron arrived exactly when the tracking info said it would. But that was a mess but only because my post office messed up, not amazon.

SkyWarp91
8th February 2012, 01:24 AM
In my order I put down a Blu-Ray of the Mortal Kombat movie (with Robin Shou), and today I got an email suggesting that I get the Street Fighter movie with Jean Claude Van-Damme on Blu-Ray too...

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/101/771/1879f18e_e542_e1c6.jpg

Cat
8th February 2012, 02:12 AM
I chose the quickest method (and paid extra for it as well), and still got those estimate dates :/

I would expect either Friday, or Monday delivery.

5FDP
8th February 2012, 12:13 PM
In my order I put down a Blu-Ray of the Mortal Kombat movie (with Robin Shou), and today I got an email suggesting that I get the Street Fighter movie with Jean Claude Van-Damme on Blu-Ray too...

ROTFL :D One is not like the other.

canofwhoopass_87
8th February 2012, 12:30 PM

<snip>

Haha! Your post + photo = laugh of the day.

Might I suggest buying the original japanese animated street fighter movie? The opening Ryu vs Sagat scene in the grassfield under a thunder-lit night sky cannot be equalled in awesomeness.

Cat
9th February 2012, 02:05 AM
The ones I hate are the ones recommending I buy something I've already bought from them.

I've received 3 emails in the last 2 weeks recommending I get the Claremont/Lee X-Men omnibus volume 2.

Each time I've got that email, I've looked over to my copy of it that I got from them, sigh, and die a little inside.

1AZRAEL1
9th February 2012, 04:43 PM

This sound normal?

That's normal. And it won't take that long, I got the rest of my stuff quick too.

5FDP
9th February 2012, 07:30 PM
Just placed my own order today for a book (game guide). So far so good *fingers crossed*

It was from one of Amazons smaller companies - the actual description is that it's a family business that operates from their own home. They also had a feedback rating similar to eBay with 100% positive (22 ratings received).

Cat
9th February 2012, 11:45 PM
Be really careful when dealing with third party sellers on Amazon.

I've had some atrocious books delivered as 'New and untouched', and one that just straight scammed me, and never sent a damn thing.

I did get a refund for that, but it was still aggravating.

I find that feedback isn't that great an indicator, as most people don't seem to review their purchase or grade the seller.

I've had 100% sellers screw me, and perfect books from a 96%.

I'll only ever buy 'new'. 'Used' is just too much of a crapshoot for my liking.

5FDP
10th February 2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks Cat. Same; I only ever buy new. I'm very particular when it comes to books.

The good news is that I received an email already saying it had been shipped. That was within 24 hrs of placing the order so they get positive marks for that.

M-bot
11th February 2012, 08:50 PM
When it comes to BluRays/DVDs, I've found Amazon UK to be much better than Amazon US - generally cheaper, much better range of region free discs, and I've yet to be charged a cent for shipping.

One BluRay from the UK with one of those cardboard covers over the top of the regular BluRay case got a little damaged on my last order, but that wasn't a particular concern for me.

On the other hand, the Calvin and Hobbes treasuries from Amazon US came in pristine condition. I was a happy little M-Bot that day, I can assure you. :D

griffin
11th February 2012, 10:41 PM
Just received the Ultimate Bluray TFs Trilogy set today - so once again, another reliable shipment from them for me.

SkyWarp91
15th February 2012, 05:33 PM
So I got one out of the many DVDs I ordered today in my mailbox.

Good that it came, but the odd thing is that this particular DVD was stated to come later than the rest of them, and those other ones have not arrived yet.

I should be more concerned now if they just stuff the DVDs in our mailbox, ours is one of those external mailboxes (not the ones built into the wall)...

1AZRAEL1
15th February 2012, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about it yet. It happens that you get some stuff earlier than expected.

Cat
16th February 2012, 12:31 AM
So I got one out of the many DVDs I ordered today in my mailbox.

Good that it came, but the odd thing is that this particular DVD was stated to come later than the rest of them, and those other ones have not arrived yet.

I should be more concerned now if they just stuff the DVDs in our mailbox, ours is one of those external mailboxes (not the ones built into the wall)...

Hah. Had the same thing happen to me today (except it was books).

Don't worry, sometimes lots get stuck in customs for a day or two.

SkyWarp91
18th February 2012, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't be too worried about it yet. It happens that you get some stuff earlier than expected.

Hah. Had the same thing happen to me today (except it was books).

Don't worry, sometimes lots get stuck in customs for a day or two.

Thanks guys, the DVDs came today. All intact. So yes, Amazon is a trustworthy seller too. Sad they can't do toys, but at least their DVDs and books are cheap.

Cat
18th February 2012, 01:52 AM
Hah.

Mine arrived today too.

SkyWarp91
25th February 2012, 01:40 PM
They did it again.

They recommended me a totally different movie to that I purchased (Mortal Kombat).

First it was Street Fighter.

Now it's Tekken.

C'mon, there's nothing similar between them!!!! :D:D

Mortal Kombat's GOOD. That's the key difference here folks!

You might as well recommend me Double Dragon Amazon, go on, do it!

5FDP
25th February 2012, 09:53 PM
My order arrived the other day. Generally pleased with the service however the book was not what I'd call 'new'; it definitely has shelf wear.

Paulbot
5th June 2012, 08:33 PM
I've not bought books from Amazon in a long time, but in order to get the first few volumes of the IDW Collection I placed an order with them last week. I ordered volume 1, 2 and 3 - all of which were in stock. So far though, my order volume 3 has been cancelled and there's a delay in getting stock for volume 1.

I could understand if it they were for sale through one of the other sellers or something, but these were apparently "in stock" from Amazon which is why I ordered them. Exactly how are the books "in stock" when you don't have them?

5FDP
6th June 2012, 09:23 AM
That's a big problem with eBay as well lately (re: advertising in-stock items when they are not). In most cases you won't know this until you contact the seller directly. This is referred to as 'bait advertising' and quite illegal in Australia. I know... my company's been fined several times over this.

1AZRAEL1
18th June 2012, 09:52 AM
With the prices they are selling them for on there, that's insane :eek: I can still pick it up locally for $60

I must say I had a pretty good experience with other stuff I bought recently. Bought a few things, I'll post up later what, but got them really quick, even a few cd's quicker than the estimated time, by nearly 2 months heh.

SkyWarp91
23rd September 2012, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know if Amazon preorders take your money before the items come out or after?

griffin
23rd September 2012, 06:58 PM
When they ship.

Paulbot
31st August 2015, 12:40 PM
Got a book (comic trade paperback) from Amazon today, very disappointed in the condition it arrived in. Warped front and back cover with noticeable creased front cover and pages. Came in a padded envelope that offered no protection. I have a few books on preorder with Amazon because they were cheaper, but I'm going to cancel and stick to a company that ships books in solid cardboard envelopes instead.

Megatran
31st August 2015, 05:33 PM
Got a book (comic trade paperback) from Amazon today, very disappointed in the condition it arrived in. Warped front and back cover with noticeable creased front cover and pages. Came in a padded envelope that offered no protection. I have a few books on preorder with Amazon because they were cheaper, but I'm going to cancel and stick to a company that ships books in solid cardboard envelopes instead.
Whenever I read these type of stories regarding Amazon shipping, I can't help but think of this post (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=373906&postcount=11). *shudder*

And more recently, this. (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=487194&postcount=365)

BigTransformerTrev
11th March 2016, 08:57 AM
Well I must say that Amazon has gone to the other extreme with the packaging on my latest order.

Like many of you I've had items damaged in transit from them - my AKD Protectobots box certainly had copped a bit.

But I just ordered 21 Rescuebots from them. The stickytape on the big box they all came in had nearly given out so the box was nearly hanging open. However each and every Rescuebot inside was inside it's own box and packed very securely. Noone of them would have been able to move a micron. :D

The only thing is all the little boxes are plain and I have to now open every single one to know who is inside so I can divvy them up properly with my two friends who went in on the order for their kids as well :p

philby
19th March 2016, 07:29 PM

i bought 3 volumes of the IDW hardcover collection a year or 2 ago, they came in a box that was clearly too big for them with 2 of those puffed up inflatable bag thingies but one had deflated and they all got damaged a bit moving around in the box during the journey.

jazzcomp
3rd May 2017, 10:08 PM
What does it mean when item is sold by Amazon? Does it mean it's definitely not fake? It's different when it sold by someone/some business on Amazon.

Just want to check this.

DaptoDog
3rd May 2017, 10:44 PM
What does it mean when item is sold by Amazon? Does it mean it's definitely not fake? It's different when it sold by someone/some business on Amazon.

Just want to check this.

If it's sold by Amazon it almost certainly would not be fake. It means it is their own inventory. Of course other businesses also sell through Amazon and I've seen plenty of KO's. Best to stick with either Amazon sold stuff or buy through reputable sellers only.

griffin
14th October 2019, 11:02 PM
One of the downsides of the automated system that Amazon has, is that once products get mixed up in the warehouse, it doesn't get noticed when orders are being picked... and I've had a three wrong items sent in the last few months.

This one came last week, instead of the Offroad Patrol (it even had the wrong Amazon product sticker on it)...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/f506.jpg

The upside of Amazon though is how easy it has been to get replacements or refunds (if the item is no longer in stock).
I contacted them through their chat help screen (which isn't convenient for my hours), showing them a photo of what I got, and links to both items (what I ordered, and what I got). Since the item I wanted was still in stock, they offered to send out a new one, or to give a refund. I told them to do what ever is easiest, because I was going to be ordering some more items soon. They chose to send a replacement, and said it would be sent express (which would be a fair bit for a single item), so should get to me tomorrow.
Since I'm in Australia, they've never asked for the wrong item to be posted back, because of the expense.... so even though their mistake might be frustrating (having to wait extra time for the toy you wanted), at the very least, you get a free toy out of it. (not sure if that is the case for more expensive items though)

Flukey
11th November 2020, 02:48 PM
All my USA Amazon purchases have come via Amazon prime but with the prowl/Ironhide set I went via Amazon itself...

So havent received any notification of it being shipped like I do with Prime but when tracking my order over the website itself its showing its arriving today (which I am hopeful; but doubt it)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/9AExzN.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this before with the tracking system and did it in fact arrive without notification?

kovert
11th November 2020, 05:20 PM
Normally Amazon sends a notification with carrier information and tracking information when an order has shipped. I've never received an Amazon order without a shipping notification. The fact that the 'Shipped' indicator is not checked normally means the item has not shipped. The 'arriving today' information could be an indicator of the ETA on the date the order was originally made.

Flukey
11th November 2020, 08:10 PM
All my USA Amazon purchases have come via Amazon prime but with the prowl/Ironhide set I went via Amazon itself...

So havent received any notification of it being shipped like I do with Prime but when tracking my order over the website itself its showing its arriving today (which I am hopeful; but doubt it)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/9AExzN.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this before with the tracking system and did it in fact arrive without notification?

Well it changed to Delayed, not yet shipped... I missed out on the seekers and Coneheads so hopefully my preorder for this isnt canned!