PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Lego

UltraMagnus
17th February 2012, 05:38 PM
I almost fell off my chair when I read they are doing LOTR and Hobbit lego sets. Now this week at the New York Toy fair they show them off.

Who is getting them? Will this be Lego Star Wars all over again and see prices rise considerably over the years for items?

1AZRAEL1
17th February 2012, 08:58 PM
I saw the pictures too, thought they looked great. Now I wonder when the Lego LOTR games will come out too :p

llamatron
18th February 2012, 08:18 PM
I disapprove greatly - not because I don't like the sets but because I dislike the trend of Lego phasing out their traditional themes in favour of licensed alternatives. Instead of Lego Pirates, we get Lego PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN® with the OFFICIAL LIKENESS OF JACK SPARROW! They're more expensive, less bricks and more limited in what they can do (have to be from a movie, have to be approved by license holder, can't be normal "yellow" skinned minifigs). And now we seem to be losing the excellent Kingdoms and recent Castle themes for LOTR stuff. It's not that the LOTR sets are bad, it's just the abandoning of "normal" LEGO castle that's bad and annoying.

UltraMagnus
20th February 2012, 04:45 PM
I disapprove greatly - not because I don't like the sets but because I dislike the trend of Lego phasing out their traditional themes in favour of licensed alternatives. Instead of Lego Pirates, we get Lego PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN® with the OFFICIAL LIKENESS OF JACK SPARROW! They're more expensive, less bricks and more limited in what they can do (have to be from a movie, have to be approved by license holder, can't be normal "yellow" skinned minifigs). And now we seem to be losing the excellent Kingdoms and recent Castle themes for LOTR stuff. It's not that the LOTR sets are bad, it's just the abandoning of "normal" LEGO castle that's bad and annoying.

I can understand this point of view.
But from lego's perspective, the licenced properties make them big bucks. Just look at Star Wars. I believe they have sold 200million Star Wars boxes (i could be wrong - but thats what their marketing said).

LOTR as popular as star wars will sell at least half of that above total.
Why wouldnt you do it?