PDA

View Full Version : Episode Review - TF Prime Ep 27: Orion Pax Part 1

GoktimusPrime
25th February 2012, 09:02 PM
Just saw this on YouTube.

Quite enjoyed this episode. Story was tense without too many silly/campy distractions.

SPOILERS

Thoughts:

* It's interesting how the prospect of having to travel back to Cybertron is an arduously daunting one. I like how the story intentionally creates a distraction on how to get to Cybertron with the whole "Let's boost the Ground Bridge" only to later have Jack suggest, "Let's use a Decepticon Space Bridge" -- not only that, but having the Autobots actually discuss how difficult it's going to be to not only commandeer but hold a Space Bridge. It's cool to see the Autobots sitting around and discussing/debating tactics and plans and how these ideas aren't as simple as just waltzing into a Decepticon Space Bridge, transporting yourself to Cybertron, then transporting back with NO Decepticon ambush waiting like often happened in the G1 cartoon! :D

* Seeing Knock Out re-brand Orion Pax with Decepticon logos was a nice homage to the "Rite of the Autobrand" in G1 (only I guess this is "Rite of the Deceptibrand" ;)).

* Megatron feeding Orion Pax with misinformation to garner his loyalty to the Decepticons was interesting - but what became more interesting was how Orion Pax questioned things here and there. And as Megatron described; a useful trait for an archivist, but not for a Decepticon. Not only that but it also shows that deep down, even without his memories of becoming Optimus Prime he is still the same character as Optimus Prime. It was interesting to see Megatron admit that despite their best efforts to brainwash Orion Pax, he knows that with Orion's curiosity and overwhelming sense of righteousness, it won't last long. This made me go "Yeah, go Optimus!" and at the same create a real sense of danger for Orion as of course Megatron has every desire to destroy him (he only hopes that the mental conditioning will last long enough for him to exploit Orion and decrypt the Iacon archives)

* KO Burger. Lol. :)

* Bulkhead's tantrum = lame

* The use of human characters here is interesting. I like how the adults (especially June) are the voice of reason, countermanding the otherwise immature and witless suggestions of Miko (who is thankfully far more subdued in this ep - and having June put that brat in her place was awesome).

* Jack's rebuke of "I'm not a child" reminds us that he is a typical teenager; eager to break out of childhood... but of course, June is his mother and not many parents would gladly let their child travel to a hostile alien planet (with mecha zombies!). So here I could sympathise with both characters.

* Jack's brief moment with Sierra also shows us how complicated his life has become since allying himself with the Autobots. Between school and work and being with the Autobots, he practically has no time for a normal life - and this moment shows us that it isn't something that's completely off his mind.

* The Key to Vector Sigma's "imprinting" itself on Jack is an interesting plot device to bring Jack into the story. It provides a more practical reason to involve a human - especially if said human is to travel to Cybertron.

* Starscream following Vehicon jets back to the Nemesis... unnoticed. Does he have some kind of stealth device? :confused:

* Seeing Arcee get aboard the Nemesis and go berko was a cool action scene; and seeing her almost meet Orion Pax was really tense/suspenseful! :D Then seeing Soundwave just Ground Bridge her out of there... PHWOAR! A thoroughly enjoyable action scene. :)

* GAH! Another cliffhanger ending! I haven't seen such an intense season opener since Aftermath! :eek: Bring on Part Twooooo!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_yum.gif

------------

P.S.: Oops, in the poll it says Part 2, but I meant Part 1.

Doubledealer
25th February 2012, 11:48 PM
* Seeing Arcee get aboard the Nemesis and go berko was a cool action scene; and seeing her almost meet Orion Pax was really tense/suspenseful! :D Then seeing Soundwave just Ground Bridge her out of there... PHWOAR! A thoroughly enjoyable action

Yeah I absolutely loved that whole bit, the choreography and animation was insane! I had no idea what Soundwave was up to until that last few seconds and then there's that amazing side angle shot of Arcee being bridged to the North Pole. Does anything stress Soundwave out? He's always cool as a cucumber! :cool:

Loved the whole episode really, it held my attention and never let go. And like you say Gok, can't wait for the next ep. It's gonna be epic!

GoktimusPrime
26th February 2012, 12:53 AM
Does anything stress Soundwave out? He's always cool as a cucumber! :cool:
Although his coolness may have contributed to the Decepticons' undoing this time. When Orion asked Soundwave what was going on, he just ignored him and walked away which may serve to simply add to Orion's curiosity - whereas some throw-away answer might have put his mind at ease (like "There was a malfunctioning Vehicon drone and it's since been captured for repair.") -- of course, Soundwave never talks to anyone, so it's in character for him.

Hursticon
26th February 2012, 01:29 AM
Oh man, I nearly exploded with obscenities at how awesome the scene was with Arcee racing towards Soundwave; This iteration just exudes silent, deadly and cool on such a dark level... Hursticon very much approves! :D:D:D

I thought it was yet another good episode, it was quite good to see Team Prime getting utterly frustrated with the situation and having it boil to the surface causing them to become very snappy at each other; I think that really goes a long way to grow the cast's relationship with one and other leading to compromising and ill-thought decision making.

Arcee's quick thinking to jump into the portal setup for one of the coolest 'chase' type scenes that just furthered the building of suspense in "What happens if she gets spotted or caught?, what if Prime sees her, what's his reaction going to be?", then to cap it with Soundwave only furthering the tension as Orion comes walking up to see what the commotion is... Oh man, I really dug that. :p:D

I think you're right Goki in that by having Soundwave just look over his shoulder at Orion, which came across to me as a 'pfft, what'd Megatron ever see in you?' moment :cool:, it probably did lead Orion to think something was... Do I need to type it? ;)

I didn't expect Soundwave to say a thing honestly, the writers have stated that he can talk but that he chooses not to and only saves speaking for when it is most necessary (A trait not all too different from the Dhampir in Vampire Hunter: D ;)), I think your dead right in that the gesture he gave was completely in character. :)

Also, what do you guys think about Starscream?, does it seem to you that what he was doing isn't the 1st time he'd done it? - Man oh man is Megatron going to be pissed at him!, he already wanted him dead. :p

I'm also digging Jack's progression towards being a leader of the Human cast, more so than just being the senior amongst them, especially considering he's willing to take on the immense challenge of going to a foreign world to obtain something as utterly critical as (what basically equates to) the life of a revered Leader. :)
It's also good to see that his love interest hasn't been forgotten and that life with the TF's has indeed complicated his life, clearly she's warmed up to him too - Dropping the whole 'You can't get me' attitude. ;)

Sierra thinks June looks good in leather... Why do I see this line being completely taken out of context else where? :rolleyes::p

Devcon
26th February 2012, 09:49 AM
* Seeing Arcee get aboard the Nemesis and go berko was a cool action scene; and seeing her almost meet Orion Pax was really tense/suspenseful! :D Then seeing Soundwave just Ground Bridge her out of there... PHWOAR! A thoroughly enjoyable action scene. :)
Then orion asking soundwave whats going, with soundwaves response being.........a cold shoulder, lol :p

GoktimusPrime
26th February 2012, 12:51 PM
Trailer for Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUx0SnzCycI

Damnit, I wanna see it!! XO

liegeprime
26th February 2012, 01:39 PM
What a great season opening episode :D
Can't wait for the next one and for a toy of the Plane Vehicons (armybuilding woohooo!!)

I give it 5 energons!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/2012%20acquisitions/DSC01491.jpg

GoktimusPrime
26th February 2012, 02:05 PM
Can't wait.....for a toy of the Plane Vehicons (armybuilding woohooo!!)
Yeah, I want more Vehicons!! I'm not one to buy more than one of the same Vehicon, but I would totally buy one of each kind of Vehicon if they released them. Even if it transformed into the same alt mode, but if it were a new mould - I'd buy it. :) Heck, I'd consider buying repaints/variants of the same Vehicon mould. Hasbro could make a serious motza by releasing a new Vehicon in each wave (or every second wave) instead of a new Bumblebee all the time!

Seriously... one could argue that kids wouldn't want to army build Vehicons -- but would who wants to army build Bumblebee?!? :confused: Releasing slews of different Vehicons can't be much worse than endless slews of Bumblebees; and it would hold greater appeal to the fans of the actual TF Prime franchise who would love to build themselves an army of Vehicons - kids as well as adults. Vehicons are like the Imperial Stormtroopers of the Decepticon army, and Hasbro already releases lots of different kinds and variants of Stormies and Clone Troopers... why not do the same for Vehicons?

Take First Edition Vehicon and release it with a slightly different deco and new weapon? Hell yeah I'd buy that! :D

5FDP
27th February 2012, 10:33 AM
Loved part 1... unable to find part 2 other than crappy youtube :(

Edit: Scratch that... me found :D

Tabias Prime
27th February 2012, 02:16 PM
Trailer for Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUx0SnzCycI

Damnit, I wanna see it!! XO

You mean this episode here...http://www.youtube.com/user/tfanimatedfan1#p/a/u/1/mTy2bNmpbiY

GoktimusPrime
27th February 2012, 08:25 PM
Cheers for the link Tabias :)

Hursticon
27th February 2012, 10:51 PM
Loved part 1... unable to find part 2 other than crappy youtube :(

Edit: Scratch that... me found :D

Was going to send you a link; how Dark Prime can be eh? ;):cool: