PDA

View Full Version : Board and Domain technical issues unable to be fixed.

griffin
6th June 2008, 02:06 PM
I posted this to the OTCA yahoo group, for those who can't access any of the OTCA domain files or board.

Getting no help from the server host, and not being able to do anything from my end, I am going to have to find another server host as soon as possible.
I will be prefering a brisbane one, for convenience and cost of calling up for tech help, but if I can't find one that suits my needs and budget, I will look interstate, and the hosts that some members have already recommended to me.
Sorry about all this.

Kyle
6th June 2008, 02:32 PM
What can we Aust fans do without you? :)

kurdt_the_goat
6th June 2008, 03:24 PM
Which problems remain? I thought the image posting and linking was fixed, and i'm accessing the site fine so i assumed it was all good now!

1orion2many
6th June 2008, 03:41 PM
:(I still have the occasional issue when I try and send PM's but only to certain people:confused:

kurdt_the_goat
6th June 2008, 03:58 PM
If you're not sure whether its the server/host or board related issues, i would suggest doing a fresh install of vbulletin in a different location on the server, and testing for the same problems. If they don't happen in a fresh install, then something may be corrupt with the real board. Alternatively, if they do happen, you'd at least know it's something to do with the server.

griffin
7th June 2008, 01:15 AM
I still get 'Internal Server Error' whenever I try to post a link, which is not something I can work with, or prepared to have others put up with. Also, this new server seems to be a lot slower for me, which is rather frustrating.

Soundwarp
7th June 2008, 07:02 AM
Well i can actually sign in today dude.

jaydisc
7th June 2008, 08:45 PM
There are two workarounds I've found:

1. Links can indeed be posted. You just cannot include the h t t p : / / . When you are posting URLs beginning with www, they are auto-detected and linked up. If you need to post a link that doesn't begin with www, just use the link button and omit the h t t p, e.g.

cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250234692505&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

2. Unfortunately, that trick doesn't work for inline images, e.g.

www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/5/1/9/3/att-mot_1210045089_thumb.jpg

But, the new attachment function is pretty snazzy. Check it out below. Note though, that since images are all read from the otca server, this will be quite a bit more costly for our beloved admin.

Tober
8th June 2008, 11:26 PM
On the plus side the board now has a nice little icon, so it doesn't look as noob sitting next to TFW, MacWorld etc in the address bar :D

Borgeman
8th June 2008, 11:41 PM
why oh why do board upgrades make sites 14.72 times slower?????

George

griffin
8th June 2008, 11:45 PM
On the plus side the board now has a nice little icon, so it doesn't look as noob sitting next to TFW, MacWorld etc in the address bar :D

Spent the entire day going through *every* possible option in the admin section of both the board and the server, to eliminate the board problems, but just can't see why this is happening. All the board functions appear to be active, allowing us to post links etc, and the server error logs don't appear to be registering a problem, so I have nothing left to try. And if I relocate to a new server, what's to say that this isn't just due to some corrupted file that I can't figure out, and we still have the same problems at the new home. Making the whole move unnecessary and a waste of money. If that did happen, I would probably have to re-install the entire board and database, which would erase everything, just to make sure this wasn't a corrupted or missing file problem. It's a last resort option, but is worth doing to get some reliability back here. More on that later. We have a public holiday up here on monday, so it will be tuesday or later before I can find a new home for our domain, and report back here with an update.

That 'favicon' icon in the address bar was something I added, because it was one of the errors in the server error log (it kept registering that it was missing, so I created one just to at least eliminate that 'unnecessary' error). Yes, it does give the board a bit of a status boost, but at this time, I feel it is the least of our worries if posting and messaging remain hampered.

STL
8th June 2008, 11:55 PM

Aye, I reallly love it. It was the first thing I noticed tonight and i love our little symbol.

Agreed tho that the site is loading much slower for me.

kurdt_the_goat
9th June 2008, 12:09 AM
Have you tried logging into cpanel and checking the error logs? Might give some insight. Alternatively, if you can backup the files/db and pass them onto me, i could test the forum as is on a different server for you.

griffin
9th June 2008, 02:35 AM
There are two workarounds I've found:

1. Links can indeed be posted. You just cannot include the h t t p : / / . When you are posting URLs beginning with www, they are auto-detected and linked up. If you need to post a link that doesn't begin with www, just use the link button and omit the h t t p, e.g.

I don't know why, but every time I try it, the board auto inserts:

h t t p : / / w w w . o t c a . c o m . a u / b o a r d s /

before the link, instead of just the h t t p : / /

See: www.tfw2005.com/ (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/www.tfw2005.com/)

jaydisc
9th June 2008, 08:04 AM
Weird. As it works for me: www.tfw2005.com.

Regarding the isolation of the issue,

If you were to simply put up a plain html form like this:

<html>
<body>
<form>
<p><input type="text" name="test" value=""></p>
<p><input type="submit" value="Continue"></p>
</form>
</body>
</html>

And then try to post the value h t t p in it, that will tell you if it's a host issue or a board issue.

dirge
9th June 2008, 09:27 AM

I've had a favico for OzFormers in my address bar for ages. Found a extension for Firefox ages ago that lets you add them yourself :)

I'm glad we've found the workaround for URLs.... now for inline images :mad:

MV75
9th June 2008, 10:38 AM
I'm glad we've found the workaround for URLs.... now for inline images :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :mad:

I agree.
________
New Jersey Marijuana Dispensary (http://newjersey.dispensaries.org/)

Borgeman
9th June 2008, 02:04 PM
just a little bit of anger shown by MV75 in the post above :D

George

jaydisc
9th June 2008, 03:08 PM
Have you guys seen the way attachments blow up? It's quite nice and makes sure that those who don't want to see inline images are only bogged down by a thumbnail. I think it has potential. I've attached a larger image as a better example.

roller
9th June 2008, 04:41 PM
is it just my comp? or is this place still malfunctioning?

Soundwarp
9th June 2008, 04:43 PM
How do we do that then ???

MV75
9th June 2008, 05:30 PM
Have you guys seen the way attachments blow up? It's quite nice and makes sure that those who don't want to see inline images are only bogged down by a thumbnail. I think it has potential. I've attached a larger image as a better example.

Yea, but I'd rather not suck up the bandwidth here. ;) I'd rather my photobucket account do that.
________
VAPIR OXYGEN (http://oxygenvaporizer.com)

Zippo
9th June 2008, 06:16 PM
Thumnails are strange, but a good solution (not that I have been following whats happening)

My problem is that the board is really slow .. though it could be my ISP killing connections

STL
9th June 2008, 07:36 PM
Wait, Jaydisc, did you just get new shelving, you bugger, you?

griffin
9th June 2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, the board and domain seems reeeeally slow.

jaydisc
9th June 2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, the board is periodically unresponsive and generally slow.

(Yes, i did get me some glass. Will post properly when inline image return ;))

kurdt_the_goat
9th June 2008, 08:34 PM
There is this report - www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274010 of the upgrade to 3.7.1 causing much slower load speeds, but there seems to be no resolution and it doesn't seem widespread.

Just doing a traceroute on the domain seems to take more steps than it should/did. I never paid attention before, but had assumed the previous server was based in Australia whereas the one we're on now seems to go all over the US.

griffin
9th June 2008, 09:10 PM
That is odd. It's a brisbane based server host, but I guess it doesn't mean it isn't physically located somewhere offshore that is cheaper.

kurdt_the_goat
9th June 2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah i can vouch for that, we did it ourselves for a while until it became affordable/profitable to have servers based in the US and AU.

kup
10th June 2008, 12:55 PM
Looks like the problem is also preventing me from changing my annoying sig!

I keep getting an Internal error every time I try to change it through URL linking or upload.

:(

Soundwarp
10th June 2008, 02:24 PM
AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I now can\'t log on anymore, i have to use the proxy place again!

This is really really Bleeping me off!

jaydisc
10th June 2008, 02:38 PM
Can anyone edit their posts? I can't. I don't see the Edit button.

kup
10th June 2008, 02:39 PM
Yeah the edit button is gone. I think that it existed as of yesterday night.

Soundwarp
10th June 2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah the edit button is gone. I think that it existed as of yesterday night.

It\'s there for me now.
But yesterday i could log on, today i can\'t!

1orion2many
10th June 2008, 04:04 PM
:)We have GREMLINS:p:D.

Robzy
10th June 2008, 05:25 PM
I can't edit my sig or avatar

MV75
10th June 2008, 05:29 PM
Looks like the problem is also preventing me from changing my annoying sig!

I keep getting an Internal error every time I try to change it through URL linking or upload.

Heh, that's hilarious. Transformer cat certainly is not amused at being replaced. :D

I'm just pissed that I can't put in imgs. :mad:
________
AVANDIA DEATH (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

autobreadticon
10th June 2008, 06:44 PM
cant seem to edit any of my posts , what in hte slag is going on

jaydisc
10th June 2008, 11:06 PM
Soundwarp, all of your single quotes are escaped (backslashed). This is a test to see if it's occurring for me too.

I'm can't don't use quote's

EDIT: hmmm. works for me.

AND!!!! I CAN EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps there is a board setting/timer that dictates how old editable posts can be?

griffin
11th June 2008, 12:14 AM
Editting of posts has been changed to one hour from posting it. Editting of posts beyond that time is unlikely, and if it is in an active topic, an hour could see a page of replies, making it unecessary. Besides, I don't want to see people editting their posts days later, just because they have a change of mind. It is better to see a new posting for the new thoughts/ideas.

jaydisc
11th June 2008, 07:04 AM
Editting of posts has been changed to one hour from posting it. Editting of posts beyond that time is unlikely, and if it is in an active topic, an hour could see a page of replies, making it unecessary. Besides, I don't want to see people editting their posts days later, just because they have a change of mind. It is better to see a new posting for the new thoughts/ideas.

This is certainly the more standard approach, but was there demand or cause for this "feature"? FWIW, I don't think the Melboure Missionaries thread can live without it. Perhaps it can be restored on a per thread basis?

iceburn
11th June 2008, 08:03 AM
jay...the workaround would be to copy/paste and post it and later delete the previous post (if deleting is still possible?)

anyways...have fun jay!!

[edit] griffin, this has affected us editing signatures isn't it??
I'm trying to update my signature with the TF count and acquisition but was replied with:

500 - Internal Server Error - The web server cannot process your request. Please try again or contact the admin of the website you are attempting to access

jaydisc
11th June 2008, 08:07 AM
Delete would be fine, but I suspect it is a subset of Edit.

EDIT: Ice, sig editing is a different, known issue.

kup
11th June 2008, 08:37 AM
I can see how preventing the editing of posts in Discussion threads can be useful but what about other types of thread?

The edit thing can be a problem in places like updating a list of sold items, Updating a pic gallery or instructions/guides in Grapple's Artistic Creation.

Is it possible to have this rule only apply to certain sections?

griffin
11th June 2008, 01:11 PM
Have you tried logging into cpanel and checking the error logs? Might give some insight. Alternatively, if you can backup the files/db and pass them onto me, i could test the forum as is on a different server for you.

Error logs didn't give any help. Creating a new database is an option I am thinking of doing tonight when I get home from work, but will take a few hours to do, as I will need to backup the current one to make sure nothing is lost. If that doesn't fix anything, I'll consider your offer, but it's a big chunk of data - how would I be able to get it to you, easily?

griffin
11th June 2008, 01:18 PM
This is certainly the more standard approach, but was there demand or cause for this "feature"? FWIW, I don't think the Melboure Missionaries thread can live without it. Perhaps it can be restored on a per thread basis?

There was cause for it, because it had been misused on a number of occasions by certain people. But the topics that require first postings to remain editable (like fan-meets, sales, etc) may mean turning this function back to the way it was. I'll see if there is an admin or mod function to exclude certain topics or sections, but I doubt it. I'll post back here tonight on what I have done or can do with this.

kurdt_the_goat
11th June 2008, 02:12 PM
Error logs didn't give any help. Creating a new database is an option I am thinking of doing tonight when I get home from work, but will take a few hours to do, as I will need to backup the current one to make sure nothing is lost. If that doesn't fix anything, I'll consider your offer, but it's a big chunk of data - how would I be able to get it to you, easily?

I'll get back to you on the size thing. How big is the forum and DB?

What about vBulletin errors? Under vbulletin options > error handling & logging you should be able to set it up if it's not already. I think the default is to send to tech email, which'd mean you're already receiving them.. but thought i'd mention it incase it's disabled.

Zippo
11th June 2008, 05:51 PM
I tells yah, its becomming a bit of a chore to post. My two favourite forums have both gone through upgrades over the last couple of weeks and itd hard to really post now on both.

dirge
11th June 2008, 07:12 PM
Edit tags on posts shouldn't be an issue for those with nothing to hide. So others know you've editted your post, but does this adversely affect your message?

Soundwarp
12th June 2008, 05:33 AM
I've needed to edit stuff after i've had a long ten count :p