PDA

View Full Version : Lying :l

Pulse
7th June 2008, 08:54 PM
For some reason, this topic has been on my mind lately.

Has lying become a natural instinct for you? I find myself lying about everything (except TFs :D, that is). Whenever a family member asks me about something, The instinct to lie comes first before telling the truth :(.

For example,
My Mum asked me the other day "Where did you go?". I saw my girl but instead I said "I went to the gym" & I thought nothing of it. :rolleyes:

My Sis asked me the other day "Did you get any new transformers this week?". I've acquired 4 this week but I said "No" & again I thought nothing of it. :rolleyes:

My Old Man asked me today "When was the last time you checked the oil in your car?". I told him "I topped it up a couple of weeks ago" when the truth is I honestly can't remember the last time I checked the oil. Another Lie & once again I thought nothing of it. :rolleyes:

Man, I feel like a really bad person in that I lie so often & this frequency to lie about every single little thing doesn't play on my conscience at all.

The biggest/most elaborate lies I've ever told (& gotten away with them) occured when I was at Uni. There was this Position Paper (1500 words) in 2nd year & I felt like plagiarising the whole thing. So what I did was straight-out copy a bunch of quotes from 6-7 texts onto pieces of paper. Then I re-arranged them into something that made sense, handed it in & ended up getting a distinction for it. That's right, the whole assignment was plagiarised & I didn't care. :rolleyes:

In teaching/education uni courses, you have to do practice teaching blocks where you also keep a diary/log book of everything you do during the length of your practicum. Well in my 3rd Practicum, I never kept a diary/log book during the length of the practicum so... I filled in my diary/log book with complete bullsh#t :rolleyes:. I ended up getting a credit for it.

In my 4th year Practicum, We had to organise our Practicum ourself. I couldn't have been bothered even getting in touch with the school so... I wrote a diary/log book completely full of bullsh#t. It was 100% lies (Remember, I didn't teach a single hour of practical teaching during this year of Uni) & I ended up getting a distinction for it. Unbelievable! Man, my lies were so elaborate & so believable that no one at Uni even questioned their truthfulness even once! :rolleyes:

I know I'm going to hell (for lying reasons alone) but I was wondering - Does anyone else lie as much as me during a normal day & not think twice about it?

Oh & who's a bigger liar - George Costanza or Me? :o

Fungal Infection
7th June 2008, 09:36 PM
I love to lie - but I do it to see how long I can carry the charade on for before it becomes unbelievably implausible. Like last night, whilst watching the game between the Warriors and Rabbitohs, I told my wife I went to school with Isaac Luke (Rabbitohs player) and kept on going with it until she figured out that I was full of shit. She believed everything I spun, and I kept on getting more ridiculous with the nature of my relationship with him (like when I told her I used to train with his older brother in high school even though I never played a game of football in my life!!) and she believed me until until I got to the part I told her that I was going to his older brother's wedding next month (we are already totally booked out for the next 6 weeks). And the funny thing is, she knows I do this all the time and yet she always believes me! So I do lie, but not instinctively (although some might argue it) but only for a laugh and to see how far I can go with it. And thats no lie! :D

1orion2many
7th June 2008, 09:42 PM
:)OH what a tangled web we weave when first we start to deceive:D. I don't know if that's the correct wording but near enough to get the point across:p:D.

Tober
8th June 2008, 04:36 AM
I'd probably lie more if I actually had any secrets.

Although that was a lie. ;)

Really tho, I don't bother - it's seldom worth the effort and then having to remember what you said at a later time.:rolleyes:

Soundwarp
8th June 2008, 07:40 AM
I don't like to lie as a rule, but i do need to bend the truth a lot.

Pulse
8th June 2008, 04:23 PM
I can see that I'm not the biggest "twister of the truth" here (& that's probably a good thing ;):D)

Paulbot
8th June 2008, 04:50 PM
I never lie.

But maybe that's a lie... :P

roller
8th June 2008, 07:51 PM
i dont lie too often, over the past 3 years ive cut down on it

My problem is i come up with elaborate lies, that need maintenance and add ons occassionaly to make them more believable

Firinstance, i lied to 2 older women :D but because of the lies, lets just say ive become 'closer' to them :)

I also lie to my friends, sometimes i cant be bothered letting them come over or feel like going out, lately i go to bed at 10ish:eek:

But, i fortunately my religion has confession, im sure im abusing the system

Also, my lies are so good, that they are 95% believable, thats not a lie:D

Ive come up with some really convinicing ones over the years, when i was 6 i got a bully in trouble at school. I wrote an abusive letter to myself and put his name on it, scared the excretement out of him.

But i think lying should be discouraged, tis bad for the soul, and if your not experienced like me your'e liable to be unconvincing.

I shoulda been an actor or a lawyer or a politician, my lies are that great:)

Pulse
8th June 2008, 08:07 PM
Roller :confused:, I think you're beyond help... :rolleyes::D

Bartrim
8th June 2008, 10:51 PM
I tell the odd white lie here and there.

What I'm guilty of is in my line of work I deal with multiple customers that I only see every 8-10 months. To make conversations interesting with these customers while I drive them around I telll stories that others have told me but make them my own. Guess thats lying too.

STL
9th June 2008, 12:04 AM
Does lying to yourself count?

roller
9th June 2008, 11:38 AM
lying tickles

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th June 2008, 01:40 PM
I don't think telling completely furfy stories as a joke is lying as such. I was convincing a fellow work employee that World War II started over daylight savings! But I failed coz I burst out laughing too soon.

I find myslef lying coz most interaction is "plaesantries."

How you going?
Yeh, not bad (they don't care if I have a tooth ache do they? Its easier to say something positive and be done with it.)

The level of deciet in pulse's first post shocked me somewhat. Mainly from the educational situation. Sorry Pulse.:D

All that said though, I am a big fan of "embellishing" my adventures for the sake of a good story.:rolleyes:

Pulse
9th June 2008, 06:56 PM
The level of deceit in pulse's first post shocked me somewhat. Mainly from the educational situation. Sorry Pulse.:D

Does that mean no one here has made up such severe lies when it revolves around their past experiences at Uni? :D

Or I'm guessing people have plagiarised their whole assignments before but don't want to admit it... ;)

STL
9th June 2008, 07:32 PM
I've bullsh*tted myself thru essays, exams, oral presentations, <you name it> at uni before but never plagarised.

Robzy
9th June 2008, 07:40 PM
I really LOVE lying in bed... it's better if I'm not alone ;)

Kyle
9th June 2008, 07:57 PM
Or I'm guessing people have plagiarised their whole assignments before but don't want to admit it... ;)

I still remember one time I was marking a 1st yr uni Calculus assignment. Found this kid made a really "creative" mistake in a problem that amused me greatly. Then I marked the next assignment... same "creative" mistake! I marked another one and could see a pattern... :o Apparently these 3-4 kids were identical not just on this one problem, but the whole assignment word for word! :eek:

What upset me most was not the fact that they copied each other... but the fact that they were too dumb to even "cheat properly"... :o

Moral of this story I told my class afterwards:

(1) After you copy from your mates, DO NOT submit your assignments together, one after another. It'd be a lot less noticeable. :D

(2) If you have to copy, then copy from someone who's ACTUALLY smart. :D

Pulse
9th June 2008, 08:14 PM
I still remember one time I was marking a 1st yr uni Calculus assignment. Found this kid made a really "creative" mistake in a problem that amused me greatly. Then I marked the next assignment... same "creative" mistake! I marked another one and could see a pattern... :o Apparently these 3-4 kids were identical not just on this one problem, but the whole assignment word for word! :eek:

What upset me most was not the fact that they copied each other... but the fact that they were too dumb to even "cheat properly"... :o

Moral of this story I told my class afterwards:

(1) After you copy from your mates, DO NOT submit your assignments together, one after another. It'd be a lot less noticeable. :D

Bahahahahahahahahaha!!! :D:D:D:D:D

You do realise my stomach hurts from laughing so much... :D

STL
9th June 2008, 08:17 PM
I've bullsh*tted myself thru essays, exams, oral presentations, <you name it> at uni before but never plagarised.

Thinking about it, I actually have lied. I've used references that I said I did when I actually didn't. All I did after I wrote my essay was find someone who said something similar in their book/journal article. So I have lied.

And on top of that, I lied about not lying when I actually lied because I thought I hadn't lied when lying about not lying. :p

Borgeman
9th June 2008, 08:49 PM
i am a gun liar - i lie often, mostly to keep the peace in my life. also i lie/bs with school/uni homework all the time

for example, my proudest lie:

i once had a yr 9 science experiment on the effect of plants' growth in different conditions/foods over 2 months, and we had to show photo proof as well - we needed like 15 plants all up to do (3 different plants, 5 of each to average out), too much money to buy that many plants. i told my dad i need just 3 different plants to appease him, and even then he was unhappy about spending $10 for a silly experiment.

anywho those plants died within a week :)

i was in a pickle - i lied to my folks about how many plants i needed, i let the ones i got die and now a WIP draft was due at school. what to do? i couldnt confess to my folks, and i had no results. so, i lied some more

i made up the results, wrote a discussion based on those results, and handed in this WIP. when the final report was due, i went to bunnings and took photos of the plants i "grew" - that is, i got 5 young versions of plant x, lined them up and photoed, then grabbed 3 slightly taller plants and photoed, and repeated a couple more times, to show the growth of all my plants.

but wait, you cry, couldnt you see other plants in the background, its bunnings for petes sake? well i had a lie for that too - in my acknowledgements, i thanked my grandpa for allowing me to keep my plants in his greenhouse (which btw is non-exisitent).

at the end of all, i hand concocted a almost wholly false experiment. the only real part was the intro - i talking about photosynthesis and fertilization, of which i assume there was some plagarizing involved. and to top it off, i got an A :D one of my mates got a C, and he actually did the experiment

not bad for a ninth grade student eh?

George

roller
9th June 2008, 09:04 PM
i had the same experiment

i was the only person in my class to do it, the teacher was hottttttt!!!

everyone else copied the results off the internet

Tober
9th June 2008, 10:24 PM
"I lie a lot - it's really useful"

- Morrissey.

sifun
10th June 2008, 09:01 AM
"is that a real rolex you're wearing?!"
"yessss....."

lol

Geminii
6th July 2008, 01:23 AM

I was wondering if they copied from some REALLY smart kid who gave them a 'special' version of the answers to crib from...

Golden Phoenix
6th July 2008, 11:04 AM
I used to lie about my homework at school. Never did it, but I some how managed to get decent grades, so my teachers just assumed I had done it and was just too un-organised to get it in.
I also lie about my collection to my parents/girl friend.
If I buy something I will talk down the size or talk up a saving. If I buy 4 I'll say I got 2, or say I got 2 for 1 or something like that.
But that is really the extent of it.
I try my best to be honest, it is just things like that that I lie about because I know that they will react badly if I was honest and that the reason behind their view is mostly opinion about Transformers

loophole
7th July 2008, 06:55 PM
just do what i do avoid lying. like right now ive got some transformers sitting in the boot of my car i dont have to lie about how much all of these cost cause no-one has seen them and i dont get grilled about them and i just steadily open them up and display them 1 by 1 and no one notices :)

Bartrim
8th July 2008, 10:07 AM
I have to lie to customers all the time to cover our usless mechanics at work. The stress of it all is really starting to get to me:mad:

Sam
8th July 2008, 10:57 AM
I think sometimes we lie not because we wish to deceive others or hide the truth, but because for some trivial matters explaining them in full detail would take too much time and too many words. So we lie to stop to satisfy the person who asks.

At other times because we have done something potentially socially embarrassing or harmful (perhaps not physically, but in an "immoral" way), we lie to cover ourselves.

The thing is, no matter the reason, the more we lie, the easier it is to continue to lie. Intention gives rise to decision, decision leads to action, action becomes habit, so that eventually lying seems to take no conscious effort, and our consciences in this context are made useless.

We may also discover that at times in order to make a lie valid, we have to tell another lie to cover the previous one, and so on and so forth.

I think the fact that lying disturbs us is a good sign. When at times I feel tempted to lie, I ask myself "Would I want other people to lie to me? Would I want to always be suspicious of what someone is telling me?". (Just think about having to deal with liars on eBay)

Telling the truth, especially when it can cost us, feels foolish and lying seems the more sensible (and easier) option. But if there's one thing I've learnt from the Autobots, it's that doing what's right is often hard, and does often cost us. :p

Tiby
8th July 2008, 05:26 PM
I lie for a living! Well, I'm not in advertising or marketing, but I am "instructed" to say things...

TheDirtyDigger
9th July 2008, 05:05 PM
I absolutely loath lying and will only do so to get myself or friends out of trouble.

I consider Truth and the pursuit of it to be the noblest of virtues. I have been told by parents and colleagues that I am 'too honest' and can be brutal with the Truth (were the mods to allow it;))

When you lie you are not real. The face you are showing is not a true thing. You are fake, false and wasting your existence.

The Truth shall set you free and I've found, especially in my relationships, that if I'm upfront and honest about my needs and wants I am more able to indulge them.
Have nothing hidden so you fear nothing.

something potentially socially embarrassing or harmful (perhaps not physically, but in an "immoral" way),

Embarrassment like jealousy and shame are weaknesses I have long since eradicated from my psyche.
As for 'immoral', that is a subjective opinion. There are those that may consider me immoral for my views but then I would conversely consider them the same for being prudish, small-minded wowsers.

turtle boy
9th July 2008, 07:28 PM
Telling a lie is the way its done some times. I've told some awesome ones in my life time, and good things have come out of it, but beware of this. Cause you may just get used to it and get lazy in your lying and get caught out. I try not to lie as much as I used to, but if one slips out and I'm to lazy to fix it, I just roll with it. I wont lie to you now, of late, I have made up story's to get a girl I used to like to tell her boyfriend, so she could come hang out with me. I despise this girl now, so yeah... its not really a problem. And cause we liked each other more then friends, her boyfriend for gave her and me. But I hate her because she broke my heart and was playing me around for so long.

Since then, shes gone back to her boyfriend, and I have gone back to being alone:( Oh well...