PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - TFPrime Legion Autobot Ratchet

griffin
12th March 2012, 11:56 AM
(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Toy Review - Autobot Ratchet
Series - Transformers Prime
Sub-line - Cyberverse
Size/class - Legion
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - 1
Released here - March 2012
Approximate Retail Price - $7-9
Approximate Size - 7cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Ambulance
Main Features/Gimmicks - none
Main Colours - red, white
Main Accessories - gun/sword

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/tfpc02.jpg

i_amtrunks
12th March 2012, 02:05 PM
I'll preface this by saying that I am big Ratchet fan, especially of the last few iterations, so I bought this figure, not knowing if I should or not.

I'm glad I only paid a touch over $5 for it, as the toy isnt even worth that price.

It is a very simple transformation, with next to no paint applications (although there is an Autobot logo). The alt mode is missing any details from the show model and robot mode has no real face, just silver paint.
I know it is a legends figure, but after some of the great smaller figures with lots of detailing in the model, more than 3 paint apps that we have had since Cybertron, this is a massive step backwards in quality and quantity for the same price.

Avoid this toy unless you intend on painting on extra details yourself or a massive Ratchet fan who doesnt mind substandard toys. Wait for the larger figure,a nd hope the quality for that is much higher.

Paulbot
12th March 2012, 02:23 PM
This backs up what I thought from inspecting it (and leaving it) in store. It just looked too basic. Pass.

GoktimusPrime
12th March 2012, 09:23 PM
I like this toy - but I must confess that I'm biased by the fact that it's the ONLY TFP Ratchet toy available. :( More objectively speaking, I find the design to be simple but effective. But I can see why some may not like it... the toy does feel rather "hollow." Ratchet also has really long gorilla arms but the worst feature is, as i_amtrunks pointed out, a severe lack of paints on the vehicle mode. It looks unfinished. :(

There is a mouth on the face... but the sculpting is rather feint and obscured by the coat of paint, but if you squint and stare at the face, you can just make it out. So yeah, clearly not a great sculpt job (they should've cut deeper to compensate for the paint coat). The battle blade weapon on this toy is my favourite of the Legion Class TFP toys so far because it actually looks like Ratchet's blade from the cartoon! (whereas Arcee and Vehicon's blades look nothing like their show model's weapons - I don't have Bumblebee or Cliffjumper so I can't compare w/ them)

If reprolabels released some stickers to enhance this figure, I'd consider getting them. Overall not a bad figure, but it has its drawbacks.

5FDP
13th March 2012, 08:25 AM
I'll preface this by saying that I am big Ratchet fan, especially of the last few iterations, so I bought this figure, not knowing if I should or not.

Was thinking about this statement after reading it last night - why such a big fan? Is it the toys or the character? Personally, neither has ever interested me.

liegeprime
13th March 2012, 09:58 AM
I bought the toy, being the only ratchet in the shelf, I didnt have much of a choice. Well mine has got a blob of paint for a face, none of the details shows. So basically it's Cobra commander as ratchet :p. I can understand what you guys mean from "simple" as it is just that. compared to Cliffjumper who has by far the best transformation among the legion class so far.. next is Arcee. This ratchet is somehow quite matchbox like.

Oh and the blade Gok, its exactly the same blade they used for Cliffjumper albeit with mine the one with ratchet is softer and lighter in hue but basically same mold blade. Kinda dissapointing that the altmode didnt even have say a cross or even a heartbeat complex to denote it's an ambulance. So it looks only like a common van.

Ah well get it fi you wanna complete the cast in this sizeclass but otherwise it should be cheaper as this is simple toy, poor quality toy - which shouldnt be since weve seen what they can do even in this size class and comparing it to it's contemporaries - CJ and RC.

UltraMarginal
13th March 2012, 12:40 PM
I got it to complete the set.

in the box it looked simple and out of the box it is still simple. I do like the legs transformation but like others have said above, the arms are a bit long and the design pales in comparison to Clifffjumper.

It is however miles better than the earlier moldLegends class ratchet from the movies.

I am surprised by the number of complaints about the paint apps, there is paint all over this figure. there is no white plastic so all the white is paint.

It would have benefited from some kind of ambulance logo, however given the liberal coating of white paint it probalby couldn't be budgeted. and given how thick the white is to cover the red, a fine logo in the middle may have been very hard to pull off without being messy.

My biggest complaint is the lack of eyes. the other figures have beautiful eyes, even the Vehicon, but poor ratchet has to navigate by feel.

I gave him the sword from Cliffjumpre so he looks pretty good with two swords.
Worth getting to complete the set, or cheap if you like Ratchet.

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2012, 08:41 PM
So basically it's Cobra commander as ratchet :p.
That's an absolutely substantiated fantasy! Truths! Truuuuuths! :p

Oh and the blade Gok, its exactly the same blade they used for Cliffjumper albeit with mine the one with ratchet is softer and lighter in hue but basically same mold blade.
Looks like they reused Ratchet's blade for Cliffjumper (if Cliffjumper's engineering is as awesome as people are saying, perhaps the reuse of that weapon was the 'cost' of said engineering?) -- gee, HasTak do seem to like reusing Ratchet's weapons for other Autobots... first DOTM Deluxe Leadfoot, now Legion Cliffjumper... ;)

Kinda dissapointing that the altmode didnt even have say a cross or even a heartbeat complex to denote it's an ambulance. So it looks only like a common van.
With a strobe light on the roof. :p Still, it's a generic looking emergency vehicle... could be a paddy wagon (http://police-car-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1975.jpg) for all we know! Or maybe the Ecto (http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2007/353/6/6/Ratchet_as_Ecto_1_by_botmaster2005.jpg)-1 (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs7/i/2005/260/e/c/Ecto_1_by_Johnny216.jpg). :p

Sutton
31st March 2012, 09:42 PM
This guy is the weakest link in the Cyberverse, no doubt. But he will probably benefit a lot from some added paint apps, especially in the alt mode. Might be tricky to get some of those decals onto the ambulance but we'll see how we go! :)

Sutton
31st March 2012, 09:46 PM
You know, it's damn hard to find reference images of Ratchet's vehicle mode...!

GoktimusPrime
31st March 2012, 10:53 PM
You know, it's damn hard to find reference images of Ratchet's vehicle mode...!
Not surprising considering that he only ever transforms once in a blue moon in the show. :(

http://images.wikia.com/transformersprime/images/f/f7/PrimeRatchetambulance.jpg
http://tilallaremine.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/prime-ratchet-cartoon-alt.jpg?w=465&h=356