PDA

View Full Version : To buy or Not..

OZDevastator
15th March 2012, 09:12 AM
Just on Ebay and found this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-CLASSICS-UNIVERSE-GENERATIONS-LARGE-LOT-MINT-COMPL-/120876505099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c24cd180b

It is so tempting but so bloody dear :(

Is it bad that im hovering over the buy it now button lol... can just see the mrs and dad going off their heads lol

5FDP
15th March 2012, 10:34 AM
That's an instant collection right there. For nearly 40 figures, I'd say it's worth it.

Sky Shadow
15th March 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure. There's nothing really special there, and they're loose at $25 each. If you really want to buy a big lot like that, you could do much better in an auction than an $870 Buy It Now. Since you're only starting off with your 'new' collection, so I would be patient and have more of a look around before jumping in.

Slag
15th March 2012, 10:55 AM
I don't collect new stuff . but as a group that lot looks impressive to me. Can see all my fave G1 figs in there:D But i wouldn't consider new stuff to be worth that much. If it had all the original packaging maybe.

Sky Shadow
15th March 2012, 10:59 AM
I've just been having a quick look on eBay - maybe email this guy (www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-G1-20-Figures-Lot-Classics-Generations-Universe-Prime-MOC-/110841991250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ceb29052) and see what postage would be to Australia? It's half the number of toys for (currently) a bit over a third of the price (i.e. less daunting to for your wallet) and they're all mint on sealed cards. If you could get these for... say... $400 shipped they'd still only be $20 each and that's MOSC.

Sky Shadow
15th March 2012, 11:18 AM
As further illustration of why you probably shouldn't buy that lot you linked to, look at what you could potentially get for half the price with a bit of patience: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4ab318fe28&item=320832339496&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=eYvdE%252BpWzS%252B%252Bs6F%252FGXvK6KUKmA0%253 D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

(i.e. obviously this lot is over, but others will come up and sell for similar prices.)

UltraMarginal
15th March 2012, 12:53 PM
Just on Ebay and found this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-CLASSICS-UNIVERSE-GENERATIONS-LARGE-LOT-MINT-COMPL-/120876505099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c24cd180b

It is so tempting but so bloody dear :(

Is it bad that im hovering over the buy it now button lol... can just see the mrs and dad going off their heads lol

It's a lot to get all in one hit, fairly good value though at about $22 each.
The biggest deal is the classics ironhide and ratchet, while some people hate them, they go for at least $60 each loose these days. I'm not sure about the secondary market for most of these other figures as I haven't looked them up.
The starscream is the less popular colour variant, but you might not care about that.

I've just been having a quick look on eBay - maybe email this guy (www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-G1-20-Figures-Lot-Classics-Generations-Universe-Prime-MOC-/110841991250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ceb29052) and see what postage would be to Australia? It's half the number of toys for (currently) a bit over a third of the price (i.e. less daunting to for your wallet) and they're all mint on sealed cards. If you could get these for... say... $400 shipped they'd still only be $20 each and that's MOSC.

That is also a great deal but like above I'm not sure of their comparative individual value. though I highly doubt you could buy them individually for $20 each from many places.

As further illustration of why you probably shouldn't buy that lot you linked to, look at what you could potentially get for half the price with a bit of patience: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item4ab318fe28&item=320832339496&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=eYvdE%252BpWzS%252B%252Bs6F%252FGXvK6KUKmA0%253 D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

(i.e. obviously this lot is over, but others will come up and sell for similar prices.)

this was a great deal, and this sort of thing does turn up.

I'd suggest spending a little time and seeing what does turn up oon eBay so you get a bit of a feel for what is a good deal.

all 3 of the listings above are pretty good in their own right.

OZDevastator
15th March 2012, 02:42 PM
True True, instant collection right there for sure :) Would solve my G1 fix :P
How much do you reckon thats worth sitting there though??

UltraMarginal
15th March 2012, 02:50 PM
True True, instant collection right there for sure :) Would solve my G1 fix :P
How much do you reckon thats worth sitting there though??

most of those deluxes have been available in Australia for as little as $18 - $20 on sale at some point but an average price would have to be $25.

now though, you'd have to look at loose and MISB prices on ebay for each to figure out what the lot would be worth if you boiught them individually. taking into account that a lot of prices on ebay are scalper prices, especially for MISB toys that are only a year or so old.

griffin
15th March 2012, 02:52 PM
Value is up to the individual.
Some of us here are cheap and wouldn't pay more than $20 for a deluxe no matter how rare it is, while others are more completist and/or desperate and go a lot higher for the rarer figures.
The seller isn't charging a "scalper" price (as some have pointed out that the entire lot, if complete, isn't over-priced), so if you are happy to pay that price, then you will enjoy it just as much as if you waited months or longer to find something cheaper. (probably even more-so, as you'll have the toys sooner, while you are in your "honeymoon" phase of renewed interest in TFs toys)

Just check the listing carefully, like any other ebay purchase - see if they are reliable with good amount of feedback, and have been around for a while on ebay, make sure they ship to you (worldwide), and accept paypal.

UltraMarginal
15th March 2012, 03:13 PM
also,

what he said.:D

GoktimusPrime
15th March 2012, 03:17 PM
Here's some information to help you decide:

a. This seller is located in the US so US retail prices would have been originally paid for these toys. This means that a grand total of US$405 (AU$387) would have been paid for these toys when they were minty sealed.

b. If you were to buy these toys in Australia, at full RRP it would cost you AU$1180 tops, again, all mint sealed.

c. These toys are all loose mint, most (but not all) have their instruction booklets and only two have their original packaging.

d. The cost of shipping between North America and Australia is extremely expensive. Consider asking the seller how much s/he's going to charge you for postage to Australia.

I personally wouldn't pay US$799.95 for this lot, but it's up to you man. Good luck either way.

Decepticon
15th March 2012, 03:51 PM
It does not interest me as I already have 99% of those. But at an average of $21 each I wouldnt call it a bargain but its good value if you want an instant collection. Personally, I would never pay $800 for something from online, overseas. Also be aware of the paypal exchange rate! Its usually alot less than the quoted Ebay AU price on the listing.

Prowl
15th March 2012, 07:33 PM

That is a very good deal in my eyes. Easy way to get an instant collection & there are no dud ones there either.

Cat
15th March 2012, 07:43 PM
Pro-Tip: Be careful when linking the auction in question.

There's always that one jerk who'll buy it from under you, especially if it's priced well.

OZDevastator
15th March 2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks all :), I have sent a offer and we shall see! If he doesent accept then Im not going any further. Fingers crossed!

Doubledealer
15th March 2012, 07:51 PM
Personally I'd avoid that lot and try and acquire some of the Henkei versions, the following are significantly superior to their Hasbro US equivalents:

-Astrotrain
-Sunstreaker
-Prowl, Bluestreak, Smokescreen
-Hound
-Tracks
-Jazz

Sky Shadow
15th March 2012, 07:55 PM
It's a lot to get all in one hit, fairly good value though at about $22 each.
The biggest deal is the classics ironhide and ratchet, while some people hate them, they go for at least $60 each loose these days.

There is no Ratchet there, UltraMarginal. If there was, the deal would be less bad.