PDA

View Full Version : It's reached that point.

llamatron
10th June 2008, 09:55 PM
Yep. THAT point. I'm planning on doing pretty much all of my future TF shopping overseas. I just got someone in the USA to send me Animated Prowl, Lockdown, Blackarachnia, Ratchet and Starscream. Total cost (including shipping) works out to be less than $20 AU per deluxe and less than $30 AU per voyager. I suggest everyone does the same - just try and find a good contact in the USA who doesn't want to profit too much off you.

Hasbro AU have basically told us that they don't have any trouble selling their stuff, so I guess they don't need my contribution anymore.

Anyone else made the same decision?

dirge
10th June 2008, 10:15 PM
I still prefer picking stuff up at retail, is more fun.

Having said that, Hasbro are cr4p at doing the collector-orientated stuff like BT & reissues, and I've always gone to Japan for that stuff.

The way the dollar is nowadays, your move makes sense.

I am somewhat selective with my purchases.

dirge
10th June 2008, 10:23 PM
(stupid server won't let me post this in one go)

Ordering from the US isn't worthwhile for me - not what with Hasbro's not an aircraft hangar - a Transformer packaging needlessly bumping up postage.

I plan on ordering most if not all of the upcoming Henkai stuff from Japan. Which means I can avoid Hasbro's stupid decisions (like that ridiculous white Powerglide) completely..

llamatron
10th June 2008, 11:04 PM
(stupid server won't let me post this in one go)

Ordering from the US isn't worthwhile for me - not what with Hasbro's not an aircraft hangar - a Transformer packaging needlessly bumping up postage.

I plan on ordering most if not all of the upcoming Henkai stuff from Japan. Which means I can avoid Hasbro's stupid decisions (like that ridiculous white Powerglide) completely..

Yeah, I'm getting this stuff sent minus the packaging.

It's not really an option if you're ordering from an online store, but if it's just some person you know then it makes sense.

Paulbot
10th June 2008, 11:13 PM
I agree with Dirge that looking through the shops is more fun but am shifting towards buying more online. It doesn't help when things like the later Robot Heroes are likely not going to be released locally.

Golden Phoenix
10th June 2008, 11:23 PM
I am getting sick of the prices on basically everything.
I like hunting for the figures, but I usually end up saving half buy getting it overseas. Which sucks, because I would rather spend my money in Australia.

Pulse
10th June 2008, 11:31 PM
llamatron, does that mean you'll never go looking in the TF Section at a local store ever again? :( Sniffle, Sniffle. :D

STL
10th June 2008, 11:44 PM
If I had a reliable contact w/ the requisite knowledge then I would be inclined to pursue such an option. I don't unforunately. :(

jaydisc
10th June 2008, 11:44 PM
I was at this point a few months ago when I grabbed the Walmart deluxes and most recent movie Voyagers from the US. The deluxes were $19ish and the Voyagers $37.

I've since decided against it. When I began collecting/hunting movie toys 8 or so months ago, I paid any price due to their scarcity. After maturing a bit and improving my hunting skills, I reduced the prices I paid by buying figures on Sale and returning them on the full price receipt. I eventually realized that if I was patient, I could probably always get it cheaper or as cheap locally... AND have that oh-so-valuable receipt.

Then, the final straw occurred when I grabbed the Movie Ultras from Robotkingdom. We did it bulk and ended up paying A$50 each shipped, thinking it was a good deal as the figures were to be TRU exclusives. Then TRU released them at $40. With no local retail receipt, I had no course of action, and am stuck with my overpriced Ultras (which suck too!)

Ans now, we see that TRU is selling Animated Voyagers at the REGULAR price of $40. I think we'll be getting them on sale from other places below $35. My point is, that with a receipt, I've got choices, and that's always worth a buck or so per figure.

Like others too, I'm starting to focus more on Takara goods, and getting that locally is not an option. I'm additionally leaning away from pre-ordering things too, as patience is proving to always provide cheaper alternatives.

roller
10th June 2008, 11:50 PM
so who wants to get stuff for Roller?

STL
11th June 2008, 12:09 AM
I was at this point a few months ago when I grabbed the Walmart deluxes and most recent movie Voyagers from the US. The deluxes were $19ish and the Voyagers $37.

I've since decided against it. When I began collecting/hunting movie toys 8 or so months ago, I paid any price due to their scarcity. After maturing a bit and improving my hunting skills, I reduced the prices I paid by buying figures on Sale and returning them on the full price receipt. I eventually realized that if I was patient, I could probably always get it cheaper or as cheap locally... AND have that oh-so-valuable receipt.

Then, the final straw occurred when I grabbed the Movie Ultras from Robotkingdom. We did it bulk and ended up paying A$50 each shipped, thinking it was a good deal as the figures were to be TRU exclusives. Then TRU released them at $40. With no local retail receipt, I had no course of action, and am stuck with my overpriced Ultras (which suck too!)

Ans now, we see that TRU is selling Animated Voyagers at the REGULAR price of $40. I think we'll be getting them on sale from other places below $35. My point is, that with a receipt, I've got choices, and that's always worth a buck or so per figure.

Like others too, I'm starting to focus more on Takara goods, and getting that locally is not an option. I'm additionally leaning away from pre-ordering things too, as patience is proving to always provide cheaper alternatives.

So, for the purposes of brevity. Receipt = real option for value :p

jaydisc
11th June 2008, 12:12 AM
So, for the purposes of brevity. Receipt = real option for value :p

Mmmmmm..... Receipt.....

Soundwarp
11th June 2008, 06:27 AM
I still prefer picking stuff up at retail, is more fun.

+1

Adzma
11th June 2008, 09:14 AM
Funnily enough there's only been five things that I have bought from retail in Australia, Titanium Rodimus and Thundercracker, Optimal Optimus, RiD Prime and Optimus Primal. Granted my collection isn't anywhere near as large as the rest of you, but everything I have besides those five has come from overseas. If I collected the movie line then that number would probably be higher, but I have no interest in it. Plus, everyone loves Takara right? :D

1orion2many
11th June 2008, 11:08 AM

And the sound of silence is deafening:p:D

Pulse
11th June 2008, 11:12 AM

And the sound of silence is deafening:p:D

Can't you hear those frogs croaking (ie. laughing to themselves) or is it just me? :D

1orion2many
11th June 2008, 11:13 AM
:confused:I do like Takara but even if Hasbro are giving you the irks at the moment you must remember, it was Hasbro that started the toyline and storyline in the Western market. If they didn't do this back in the 80's then I'm sure a lot of the Japanese items may never have come into existence as I think the U.S cartoon helped to spike the interest back in Japan as well. I'll just wait for someone to correct me now:p:D.