PDA

View Full Version : Tf prime hasbro or tfprime takara.

kristofferrer
14th April 2012, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm really struggling on deciding whether to go Tf prime hasbro or the takara. I've had a look atsina comparisons but I'm still in the fence. Does the hasbro have show accurate details? I have even informed that the takaras come with sticker sheets for decals and detail.

Any advice?

The_Damned
14th April 2012, 04:22 PM
hasbro for sure who wants to have to sticker toys ;)

Doubledealer
14th April 2012, 04:25 PM
It's a mixed bag really, imo you should choose on a per character basis.

Two obvious ones where Hasbro wins are:
-Cliffjumper (JPN release is a strange orange, stickers look terrible)
-Ratchet (JPN release stickers crumple around collar, lacking red on legs)

One thing I will say is that Takara Skywarp and Megatron are the most fun I've had with Transformers for as long as I can remember. It took 30 minutes + putting the Micron's together and adding all the stickers (which are really nice quality and go on with nary a crumple in sight). The little jewels are a particularly nice feature on the Micron's, I love putting the faction stickers on em then covering it with the translucent jewel. So cool. :) Overall you get a great feeling of accomplishment after building and stickering up the JPN toys, I can't wait to get more of 'em!

kristofferrer
14th April 2012, 10:17 PM
wow - these responses are fantastic. i'm now leaning towards the hasbro (given the previous comments) and i suppose i can mix the bag a little if needed. The hasbro cliffjumper and bee look ... well very very plastic. does anybody have any close ups of the takara ones.

Doubledealer
15th April 2012, 02:12 PM
These links should help with your decision, Kristofferer. :)

General look at the Takara AM toys released thus far. (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-galleries-japanese-transformers-prime-arms-micron-from-takara-tomy/24520/)

Detailed look at Takara AM-02 Bumblebee. (http://higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com/blog-entry-1465.html#more)

Detailed look at Takara AM-04 Cliffjumper. (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/in-hand-images-of-am-04-cliffjumper-and-arms-micron-promo-pinpointer-and-more/24429/)

Whichever path you take you're gonna have a ball with this line!

KalEl
15th April 2012, 02:17 PM
yes its a personal preference think, both have their merits. Weigh up the pros and cons individually is the best way. happily take other peoples opinions but don't take them as gospel. i personally have mixed collections.

kristofferrer
15th April 2012, 04:50 PM
Wow these are great suggestions.

i think it's heading down a mixed bag. I've never had a mixed collection for one series before.

on one had i'm not really a big fan of the stickers (.e.g Takara TFP Ratchet) but i do like some of the paint apps on the Takara line.

thanks all

Doubledealer
15th April 2012, 04:58 PM
Sounds like a plan mate. :)

Head on over to AmiAmi's Prime section (direct link (http://www.amiami.com/top/search/list2?s_cate3=986&s_maker=Takara%20Tomy&pagemax=100)) if you're interested in buying any of the Takara toys. The deluxes are going for AU$17 a pop at the moment!

KalEl
15th April 2012, 04:59 PM
Wow these are great suggestions.

i think it's heading down a mixed bag. I've never had a mixed collection for one series before.

on one had i'm not really a big fan of the stickers (.e.g Takara TFP Ratchet) but i do like some of the paint apps on the Takara line.

thanks all

no probs bud

1orion2many
17th April 2012, 08:34 PM
I just couldn't get over the extra block holes over the body of the vehicle modes of the Japanese ones, I do like their partners but not enough to damage my bank account for a second figure just for the micron.

kristofferrer
17th April 2012, 08:38 PM
I just couldn't get over the extra block holes over the body of the vehicle modes of the Japanese ones, I do like their partners but not enough to damage my bank account for a second figure just for the micron.

i had a look at the comparisons of the current releases and there isnt really that much significance (which is kinda sad). the only gripe i have is the weapons. they dont seem to have stuck to the show.
i do like the microns as well but not the stickers as much :(

KalEl
17th April 2012, 08:39 PM

this is my thoughts on it http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=293423&postcount=8

SkyWarp91
19th April 2012, 11:34 AM
I'm not really fussed on whether I'm consistent with getting the Hasbro or TakTom releases for one series of Toys. I'm more fussed with availability, sometimes Hasbro doesn't even get the figures that TakTom gets - e.g. Deluxe Leadfoot. So long as I have the toy, I'm not that fussed. Though I do prefer Hasbro as they are cheaper, but as for PRIME toys - unless you really love the show I say go for the Hasbro releases as you wouldn't be missing much by getting the Takara releases.

UltraMarginal
19th April 2012, 12:00 PM
I'm not really fussed on whether I'm consistent with getting the Hasbro or TakTom releases for one series of Toys. I'm more fussed with availability, sometimes Hasbro doesn't even get the figures that TakTom gets - e.g. Deluxe Leadfoot. So long as I have the toy, I'm not that fussed. Though I do prefer Hasbro as they are cheaper, but as for PRIME toys - unless you really love the show I say go for the Hasbro releases as you wouldn't be missing much by getting the Takara releases.

I really love the show and I'll be getting the hasbro releases.

The mechtech ports are Uuugly, the minicons aren't in the show and don't really fit the aesthetic.
Because there are minicons, you don't get the normal weapons that come with the hasbro toys and, Ratchet especially, the hasbro toy has far superior weapons.
Over time the stickers just aren't going to look as good as the paint.

GoktimusPrime
19th April 2012, 12:06 PM
I say go for whichever version you personally prefer and can get for a good price. :)

UltraMagnus
19th April 2012, 01:15 PM
I say go for whichever version you personally prefer and can get for a good price. :)

I tend to second this.

Only thing I would mention about takara's version that in Hong Kong the price is only marginally more expensive.

The key thing about the takara packaging is that you can happily put it back and keep the MIB feel.
The issue collectors in HK have with the Takara are the stickers and putting the weapons together... but I tell them to stop bitching and moaning because you didn't complain at G1 when we did this :)

If you haven't started collecting yet, its a great time to start. I have a feeling this series will be one of the most popular and will be hard to find toys in a year or so time.
(except bumblebee - there THOUSANDS of that toy around...)

GoktimusPrime
19th April 2012, 03:18 PM
but I tell them to stop bitching and moaning because you didn't complain at G1 when we did this :)
Yeah but there were a lot of things in G1 that we didn't complain about as much that we would be up in arms about if it happened with TF toys today.

e.g.:
+ Lack of articulation/poseability in robot mode
+ Lack of durability (G1/G2 TFs are much more fragile than most post-G2 TFs - many post-G2 TFs have parts that are designed to pop back on if they become detached - if a part of a G1 TF came off, you were usually screwed)
+ Lack of incorporation or self-containment of robot parts/accessories in alt mode. e.g. fists, weapons etc. that we had to set aside -- and were easier to lose. Imagine if they released TFs today with detachable fists that had nowhere to go in alt mode! That'd SUCK!

kristofferrer
20th April 2012, 01:51 AM
Only thing I would mention about takara's version that in Hong Kong the price is only marginally more expensive.

If you haven't started collecting yet, its a great time to start. I have a feeling this series will be one of the most popular and will be hard to find toys in a year or so time.
(except bumblebee - there THOUSANDS of that toy around...)

I found that Takara toys were generally cheaper in HK than they were in JP (unless of course you went to those Kmart/Target stores in Japan where they sold United voyagers for $17AU).

I think this series will go up as well - i dont want it to. I've already noticed Target/Kmart smelling the trend of collectors and upping their prices to be on par with the Classics.

I really want to mix and match with Takara and Hasbro, though im not currently in the best position to splurge on the hobby as much.

This is indeed an approach im going with. It's new for me as i've usually only stuck with one line. However, since value is a lot more distinct (i.e. different accessories with the toys), the mix and match approach "would be the most prudent course of action."

getting a good price is part of the fun :)

KalEl
20th April 2012, 06:41 AM
Yeah but there were a lot of things in G1 that we didn't complain about as much that we would be up in arms about if it happened with TF toys today.

e.g.:
+ Lack of articulation/poseability in robot mode
+ Lack of durability (G1/G2 TFs are much more fragile than most post-G2 TFs - many post-G2 TFs have parts that are designed to pop back on if they become detached - if a part of a G1 TF came off, you were usually screwed)
+ Lack of incorporation or self-containment of robot parts/accessories in alt mode. e.g. fists, weapons etc. that we had to set aside -- and were easier to lose. Imagine if they released TFs today with detachable fists that had nowhere to go in alt mode! That'd SUCK!

This is like chalk and cheese, you cant really compare G1 toys to modern toys.
Technology alone makes that argument mute.

SkyWarp91
20th April 2012, 09:17 AM

Hey now, chalk and cheese are comparable. You can't eat cheese... :o

GoktimusPrime
20th April 2012, 09:51 AM
Absolutely - and just as one wouldn't apply modern standards on G1 toys, likewise I can understand that people wouldn't impose G1 standards on modern toys; hence why people are complaining about the TF Prime Arms Micron toys using stickers for added detail instead of paint apps, tampographs etc. which would be more acceptable by today's standards.

e.g. When Powermaster Optimus Prime came out in 1988 I didn't hear anyone complain that the Super Robot Mode was a "brick." In fact, I loved that toy... I still love it (I was just playing with it a few days ago :D). In 2003 when Armada Optimus Prime came out, people did comment on the bricktastic Super Robot Mode, because by more contemporary standards people were expecting a more articulated super robot mode. After all, Fire Convoy (RiD Optimus Prime) has a more articulated super robot mode, and that toy came out 3 years prior. Of course, it was because Armada Optimus Prime's super robot mode sacrificed articulation/poseability for the electronic automatic transformation gimmick - but that was a common criticism of the Armada line; that many toys had engineering compromised because of gimmicks. The smaller and cheaper carded Armada Optimus Prime with no gimmick but greater articulation (aka "Bendymus Prime") proved more popular among fans. :)