PDA

View Full Version : We have to move then...

griffin
12th June 2008, 03:26 PM
Thanks to Kurtd_the_goat, we've been able to work out that the board itself appears to be functioning fine, but the server it is on, looks to have compatibility problems, affecting the functionality of the board.
As such, I'm left with no choice but to relocate the board and domain to a new server.
This shouldn't actually affect anyone here, except when the transition occurs. It will be like the start of this month when the server host installed the new server - there will be a couple of days of transition as your internet service providers are updated with the new 'location' of the otca domain.

When that happens, I will give as much warning as I can, and you can follow progress on the backup yahoo group site, if you experience any connection problems during that time.

iceburn
12th June 2008, 04:04 PM
hi ho hi ho...(packing up his bags)

Soundwarp
12th June 2008, 04:45 PM
Damm i wish i was a nerd, things like this scare me.

Paulbot
12th June 2008, 04:48 PM
The Space Bridge is opening... Concentrate on the beam of light...

Pulse
12th June 2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the update Griffin :). Hopefully all the bugs will be left behind... :D

I've got all my weaponry locked & loaded - ready to fire! :confused::D

MV75
12th June 2008, 07:50 PM
Just give us the IP address instead of the domain name and it'll be sweet until all the dns tables get populated. :)

So don't worry Soundwarp, it would just be something like the following you'll type in for a couple of days max:

203.168.243.111/boards
________
MERCEDES-BENZ 300D (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300D)

Vector Sigma 13
12th June 2008, 08:29 PM
AUTOBOTS- TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!...

to just over there a bit.

dirge
12th June 2008, 09:42 PM
Damm i wish i was a nerd.

Tell people you are, anyway. Noone will **** with a nerd that's done 4 tours of duty, is trained to kill and drives a V8 :cool:

STL
12th June 2008, 10:10 PM
Can't we just use guinea pigs like they did in G1? I nominate Roller. He's expendable. :)

Bartrim
12th June 2008, 10:28 PM
Damm i wish i was a nerd, things like this scare me.

+1 there Warps. Someone hold me.

lcz128
12th June 2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks as always for the updates and the news :)

kup
13th June 2008, 11:56 AM
I thought collecting Transformers automatically makes you a Nerd.

STL
13th June 2008, 12:54 PM

No, it automatically makes you a geek.

Soundwarp
13th June 2008, 12:54 PM
Tell people you are, anyway. Noone will **** with a nerd that's done 4 tours of duty, is trained to kill and drives a V8 :cool:

But i cry like a girl if upset :p

:( A dumb nerd then :D

Kyle
13th June 2008, 01:48 PM

Respect!

jaydisc
13th June 2008, 02:41 PM
It's highly unlikely that visiting the site by IP address will work MV75. Everyone uses virtual hosts today. OTCA would have to be the primary site which I'm sure it's not.

If you're a real junky, the trick is to put the IP as your proxy server, but this will limit you to only being able to view the OTCA website until the proxy settings are removed.

kurdt_the_goat
13th June 2008, 02:56 PM
I don't know much about virtual hosts, but the current host allows IP access even tho it's not the only site on the server, provided you know the account name.

jaydisc
13th June 2008, 03:00 PM
I don't know much about virtual hosts, but the current host allows IP access even tho it's not the only site on the server.
72.52.215.34/~#####/boards/

The oh-so-subtle, yet oh-so-important difference is the knowledge of the username the provider has assigned (#####) and the apache plugin and configuration permitting aliases to user directories (/~#####).

This will work fine, granted:

1. You know the username assigned by the new host and use it after the tilde.
2. There are no root-level links (those starting with a slash indicating to start from the hostname) through out the site, e.g. "/images/logo.jpg"

kurdt_the_goat
13th June 2008, 03:06 PM
Right you are :) That said, i don't think the forum uses any root linking.. at first i was surprised but i guess it makes sense cause you can place it anywhere you like.

I think though.... the best way would be for everyone to modify their hosts file to point to the new IP during the transition.

griffin
13th June 2008, 03:27 PM
A new server host has been found and in the process of signing up to it. They operate 24hours, 7 days a week, so with any luck, we should be operating there by the beginning of next week.
It uses a dynamic IP though, but they said they should be still providing a direct link to their server for people to use until their ISPs' DNS registries are updated.
Back with more soon.

jaydisc
13th June 2008, 04:19 PM
A new server host has been found and in the process of signing up to it. They operate 24hours, 7 days a week, so with any luck, we should be operating there by the beginning of next week.
It uses a dynamic IP though, but they said they should be still providing a direct link to their server for people to use until their ISPs' DNS registries are updated.
Back with more soon.

The new server uses a dynamic IP? Sounds like a server sitting on a cable or ADSL connection if that's the case and reeks of unprofessionalism.

On second read, I think you mean virtual hosting, but they give a unique name at their own domain name for each site, thus giving you instant access, e.g.

s12354.mediatemple.net

Soundwarp
14th June 2008, 08:34 AM
OK we will need to set up a step by step walkthrough if there is anything involved apart from hitting OTCA go..........

jaydisc
14th June 2008, 04:13 PM
Griffin, have you considered hosting the DNS separately AWAY from the rest of the website? If you did, and kept a low Time-To-Live, you could repoint the DNS to a new host and only deal with a five minute transition. I heavily recommend this. everydns.net is a free DNS provider, although I'm not sure if they let you reduce the TTL to 300.

griffin
16th June 2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not that tech-minded, so will be keeping the transition as simple as possible. That way, if anything goes wrong, the new server host can deal with fixing it.

1orion2many
16th June 2008, 11:33 AM
:)Sledge hammer and gas axe will fix any problem:p:D

jaydisc
16th June 2008, 01:01 PM
As offered before, I'm happy to help, and I strongly recommend this separation as it will prevent any future confusion about where the new site is located.