PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Victory (& Zone) #Spoilers Ahead#

Pulse
12th June 2008, 07:52 PM
I just finished watching it a couple of hours ago & I'd have to say - It was pretty darn good! :) I honestly enjoyed it! The story had a great build-up to the finish (Deszaras' Space Fortress & it's weakspot was a nice throwback to Unicron :)), The Filler episodes weren't too bad and the Dinoforce's assistance to the Cybertron's cause in the last episode was a nice touch :D!

There were a couple of points that occured to me as the episodes went on:

# So Jan & Holi became the new Danny & Wheelie? Atleast they're not nearly as annoying as Danny & Wheelie were in Season 3 & Headmasters...

# At the end of Masterforce, The Cybertron's lost their bracelets (due to Devil Z being the creator of the Masterforce bracelets) & became humans again - right?

So if Devil Z is dead, & the Masterforce bracelets no longer exist, then how can God Ginrai & Minerva exist either?

# If God Ginrai used his Fire Guts Power in Masterforce to kill Devil Z, then why didn't he also use this power against Deszaras before he got fatally wounded?

# Wouldn't it have been cool if they would have released a figure of Deathcobra in that he could have been interchangeable with Hellbat as a member of Liokaiser?

# If Jan is only a kid, then how can he drive his Mech?

# I was even getting used to putting up with constant references to the Supreme Commander & Lieutenant Commander (I guess Headmasters got me used to it) as well as the bumbling antics of the Dinoforce :rolleyes:

# It was a nice throwback to the Season One storyline when the Decepticons were collecting energon to fly back to Cybertron as towards the end of Victory the Destrons were amassing energy in order to resurrect Deszaras' Space Fortress :)

# Deszaras & Liokaiser got blown away into space... & that's it? :confused:

Going onto Zone, The episode seemed to have even more fluent animation than Victory but it also seemed to turn up the Anime Factor some what (That human character had what coloured hair? :confused:). The episode seemed to be built around Micromaster Bases & Micromasters as well as Dai Atlas, Sonic Bomber and Violenjiger (Did Violenjiger ever have a prototype figure?) but the resurrected gestalts looked completely different to their original incarnations - Someone screwed up there! :rolleyes:

Maybe the G1 Cartoon had just run its course - Who's to say? Kaneda Masumi's distant hope of having the remainder of the season eventuate seems like a far off dream that's never likely to come to fruition - Oh well...

Only now I can say I've watched every episode of G1 & I luved every minute of it! :D

kup
12th June 2008, 10:06 PM
# At the end of Masterforce, The Cybertron's lost their bracelets (due to Devil Z being the creator of the Masterforce bracelets) & became humans again - right?
So if Devil Z is dead, & the Masterforce bracelets no longer exist, then how can God Ginrai & Minerva exist either?

At the end of Masterforce the Godmasters became normal humans and the Transtectors gained life with the same personalities as their Human components.

# If God Ginrai used his Fire Guts Power in Masterforce to kill Devil Z, then why didn't he also use this power against Deszaras before he got fatally wounded?

That ability is only realized by using Chōkon Power which can only be achived with humans.

Pulse
12th June 2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks Kup :). I guess they can always find a plot device when they need one :D.

GoktimusPrime
2nd July 2008, 11:01 AM
Do we need spoiler warnings for old school G1 stuff?? (o_O)

Pulse
2nd July 2008, 11:21 AM
There are some real s_l_o_w_c_o_a_c_h_e_s out there who haven't even finished Masterforce yet (They whinge that we spoil it for them ;))

GoktimusPrime
2nd July 2008, 12:50 PM
guh... I think it's safe to say that if a topic contains something old and is clearly labelled, and if you're a slow coach who hasn't seen it and don't want spoilers - then just avoid threads with that topic! e.g.: if you've never seen Beast Wars and don't want to be spoiled, then just don't read threads about BW, likewise with G1, G2 etc. It's a bit different with more recent and upcoming material (e.g.: Animated) where people might want to discuss it but not expose themselves to spoilers. Seems like common sense to me. :p Sorry about the derailage - back on topic now... :p

I enjoyed Victory and I really liked the ending. The final battle is comparable with the Optimus Prime vs Megatron fight in Transformers The Movie. Zone is pretty cool in its own way - excellent animation. The story is decent considering that it was a cancelled series pilot and the fact that the toyline lacked Decepticons ('cept for Metrotitan and the Race Track Patrol) so they had to bring back Decepticons from previous series and obscure them with garish costumes since toys like Devastator and Trypticon weren't on sale any more.

Dai Atlas is quite a controversial character amongst Japanese fans, but I like him. :)

kup
2nd July 2008, 12:55 PM
Because I am a 'late' reader of the IDW comics because I only get them through TPBs, I have made it an art form of avoiding any thread/post containing IDW comments or discussions.

Dai Atlas is quite a controversial character amongst Japanese fans, but I like him. :)

Why is he controversial?

griffin
2nd July 2008, 01:22 PM
Re: spoilers - it's better to be safe than sorry. But it should be assumed by everyone else that discussion of any TFs storyline (released or not) is a spoiler to those still wanting to see it. It might be necessary to use it on unreleased stuff, but is always an option to older stuff, especially if it has *only just been released officially* recently and not everyone interested in it has yet got it or watched it.

GoktimusPrime
2nd July 2008, 02:47 PM
Why is he controversial?
Click here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=29891) :)

Paulbot
5th July 2010, 11:15 PM
I spent today at home fighting a cold and so finally had time to watch the end (last four eps) of Masterforce. Problem was that for the final two episodes I couldn't get my DVD player to change away from the English Dub track. Kind of ruined it as I'm used to the Japanese voices, the dub is poor and the US toy names are wrong for these characters. I ended up leaving the subtitles up and paying them more attention.

Then I watched the first episode of Victory. I've been very slow to get around to this as it's taken me a long time to watch Masterforce. The receipt was in the case to show me I bought the Madman box set back in 2008! (Which fits with the age of this thread.)

Anyway I thought the first episode was pretty bad. I liked how Masterforce introduced the concepts and characters slowly. This episode was lots of battles with no real explanation of what the gimmicks are (Brainmasters do what exactly? Why does the Destron leader have animals on his chest?) or who the characters are. Most of the Cybertrons are instantly forgettable except the badass leader the western with the sword. And why exactly is there a token kid hanging with the Cybertrons in outer space?

These are rhetorical questions by the way. I know some of the answers from existing knowledge and the ever helpful TFwiki. But if you were totally new to the series I think it's a failure of a first episode. I turned it off with no inclination to watch the next one. I feel like watching the rest of the series out of obligation and no first episode should inspire that feeling. I can only assume it gets better.

It did work as a toy commercial though, as it had me wishing we'd got the Dinoforce shells instead of the Pretender Monster shells.

griffin
6th July 2010, 12:17 AM
At least you've watched some of your JP Gen1 DVDs. Mine are still untouched in their cases from when I bought them at their release (at least 2 years ago as well).
I just don't have the time to sit and 'read' the episodes - I'd prefer to have episodes playing while on the computer. Something I can't do when there are subtitles.

kurdt_the_goat
6th July 2010, 01:23 AM
I know what you mean Griffin. I personally ended up watching all of them in bed, 1 or sometimes 2 episodes a night before sleeping. They're only 20 mins each, give it a go!

Paulbot
6th July 2010, 10:37 AM
I just don't have the time to sit and 'read' the episodes
Yeah me either, so being home sick helps.

kup
6th July 2010, 10:37 AM
I spent today at home fighting a cold and so finally had time to watch the end (last four eps) of Masterforce. Problem was that for the final two episodes I couldn't get my DVD player to change away from the English Dub track. Kind of ruined it as I'm used to the Japanese voices, the dub is poor and the US toy names are wrong for these characters. I ended up leaving the subtitles up and paying them more attention.

Then I watched the first episode of Victory. I've been very slow to get around to this as it's taken me a long time to watch Masterforce. The receipt was in the case to show me I bought the Madman box set back in 2008! (Which fits with the age of this thread.)

Anyway I thought the first episode was pretty bad. I liked how Masterforce introduced the concepts and characters slowly. This episode was lots of battles with no real explanation of what the gimmicks are (Brainmasters do what exactly? Why does the Destron leader have animals on his chest?) or who the characters are. Most of the Cybertrons are instantly forgettable except the badass leader the western with the sword. And why exactly is there a token kid hanging with the Cybertrons in outer space?

These are rhetorical questions by the way. I know some of the answers from existing knowledge and the ever helpful TFwiki. But if you were totally new to the series I think it's a failure of a first episode. I turned it off with no inclination to watch the next one. I feel like watching the rest of the series out of obligation and no first episode should inspire that feeling. I can only assume it gets better.

It did work as a toy commercial though, as it had me wishing we'd got the Dinoforce shells instead of the Pretender Monster shells.

I hated Victory too when I begun to watch it but then it begun to grow on me as it went. The first episode is utterly ridiculous.

Tabias Prime
6th July 2010, 01:39 PM
There are some real s_l_o_w_c_o_a_c_h_e_s out there who haven't even finished Masterforce yet (They whinge that we spoil it for them ;))

Hey I resemble that remark:D:D:D

Not that it bothers me about spoilers,I'm on holidays at the moment so I might be able to sit down and finish watching HeadMasters and Masterforce.

Just a question But where do you find the Victory and Zone series?

kaiden
6th July 2010, 06:02 PM
I've tried to watch mine but its hard when you're used to the original american dubs since they were the best.

the english dubs now are terrible and i don't like the japanese words like 'destron' it just doesnt feel right at all.

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2010, 07:22 PM
The first ep of Victory is goofy - but the series does get better at the end with a pretty exciting climactic battle (arguably rivals Optimus Prime vs. Megatron in TFTM).

I've tried to watch mine but its hard when you're used to the original american dubs since they were the best.

the english dubs now are terrible and i don't like the japanese words like 'destron' it just doesnt feel right at all.
Yeah but remember that these cartoons were made for Japanese audiences. I'm not a fan of the word "Astroboy" (because the character was originally called "Atom" in Japan), but I accept that Astroboy is his Anglophone name. And when speaking to people about Mighty Atom in English I call him Astroboy.

Destron is effectively the Japanese equivalent for Decepticon... not a big deal. What bugs me more is that it can also mean "Predacon" in a Beast Wars context. That can get confoozling. (-_-)

kaiden
6th July 2010, 08:04 PM
Destron is effectively the Japanese equivalent for Decepticon... not a big deal. What bugs me more is that it can also mean "Predacon" in a Beast Wars context. That can get confoozling. (-_-)

Yeah I realise it is, it sounds weird to hear it or say it. Decepticons has a much better sound to it. Correct me if im wrong but wasn't the original series(comic or cartoon) written in english?

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah I realise it is, it sounds weird to hear it or say it. Decepticons has a much better sound to it. Correct me if im wrong but wasn't the original series(comic or cartoon) written in english?

Yes, but again - they're adapting for the Japanese audience. As I said, Astroboy's original name is "Atom" but the people who exported the Mighty Atom franchise outside of Japan decided that "Astroboy" sounded cooler. "Destron" may not sound cool to your Anglophone ears, but the terms were never intended for an Anglophone market.

RiD Optimus Prime's original name is "(Super) Fire Convoy". But I would agree that it's not a name that would appeal to an Anglophone market, so understandably Hasbro changed it to "Optimus Prime" for their market. Likewise Gildo was changed to "Darkscream" for Hasbro's markets... and just as well! (bad enough that RiD had a character called "Slapper" and a voice actor named "Wankus"! :D) Both Hasbro and Takara(TOMY) decide (or approve) names/terminology for their toys based on how well they think it will appeal to their respective markets.

Do the subtitles translate "Destron" as 'Destron' or as 'Decepticon'? Cos I would translate it as "Decepticon." I'd translate all the names to their Anglophone equivalents where applicable, although you gotta be careful to avoid doing so if there could be a continuity conflict (e.g. translating Minerva as "Nightbeat" because they're two entirely different characters).