PDA

View Full Version : Stickin' it up to eBay

STL
12th June 2008, 10:18 PM
www.theage.com.au/news/biztech/accc-thwarts-ebay-paypal-plan/2008/06/12/1212863822348.html

Not a surprise, really. But quite nice on the audio receptors.

dirge
12th June 2008, 10:38 PM
Indeed.

While I registered for PayPal before they even set up shop in Australia (and long before eBay bought them), I believe new registrants cannot opt out of providing a bank account - which is a dangerous thing in terms of direct debit. Credit Cards are much safer for buyers to use with PayPal.

As for sellers, Direct Deposit is a much more efficient means of payment.

Down with this money grabbing idea of eBay's!

Pulse
12th June 2008, 10:53 PM
Don't you know the ACCC is all talk & no action..? :rolleyes:

i_amtrunks
13th June 2008, 09:58 AM
Since Ebay wants to go paypal only on the 17th, there's no way that the ACCC will be able to stop it from happening. They will only be able to force ebay to return to allowing various payment methods again sometime after ebay have changed their rules.

As always the ACCC is about 3 months behind where they should be.

STL
13th June 2008, 10:15 AM
Since Ebay wants to go paypal only on the 17th, there's no way that the ACCC will be able to stop it from happening. They will only be able to force ebay to return to allowing various payment methods again sometime after ebay have changed their rules.

As always the ACCC is about 3 months behind where they should be.

It's not really the ACCC's fault. They have to comply with a whole lot of legislation including accepting a broad range of submissions and conducting a satisfactory investigation. It's bureacracy and sometimes it sucks.