PDA

View Full Version : The End of Twist Ties?

STL
12th June 2008, 10:31 PM
www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=179835

The poster seems not so sure if it's newsworthy but I do. It makes the whole opening process so much less infuriating.

dirge
12th June 2008, 10:35 PM
Very newsworthy. Takara have been doing inlay trays for years. They make opening TFs a pleasure, not a damn chore.

Pulse
12th June 2008, 10:43 PM
Woo Hoo!!! :D It's about bloody time!

I can recall having to undo a heap of twist ties when freeing my TRU Reissue UM a little while ago but my Reissue Anime Galvatron didn't have even one of the cursed things... Stupid twist ties - May they rot in hell! :D

kurdt_the_goat
12th June 2008, 10:53 PM
I noticed this with one of my TF:A purchases - Bumblebee has no twist ties. The Voyager's and Leader i've got unfortunately still have them, but the boxes are also a bit easier to reseal nicely than the TF:Movie toys were.

Paulbot
12th June 2008, 11:05 PM
When did the Twist ties first appear? Was it during G2? Beast Wars? Earlier. I don't recall G1 toys with twist ties but it's been a long long time (17 years?) since I opened a MISB G1 toy.

Sam
12th June 2008, 11:34 PM
And here I was, thinking I was the only one who hated twist ties... :)

Robzy
13th June 2008, 12:01 AM
I was very surprised that Henkei Astrotrain had twist ties!

Gutsman Heavy
13th June 2008, 01:17 AM
My Lockdown had no twist tie, I was pleasantly surprised :)

i_amtrunks
13th June 2008, 09:55 AM
My Lockdown and Bumblebee had no ties, and I think Prowl had 2.

Lets hope twist ties are gone for good (for reasons like they cost too much to produce or something).

MV75
13th June 2008, 10:25 AM
There's a saving in labour vs. cost of thin bit of cover plastic to be had. Hasbro have finally gotten a little sense.
________
EASY VAPE REVIEW (http://vaporizer.org/)

roller
13th June 2008, 10:35 AM
When did the Twist ties first appear? Was it during G2? Beast Wars? Earlier. I don't recall G1 toys with twist ties but it's been a long long time (17 years?) since I opened a MISB G1 toy.

i think it may have started with Beastwars

i dont recall any of my G2s having any

i hope they do away with them, and their excessive plastic packaging

MV75
13th June 2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, the move back to boxes with less plastic would be nice. :)
________
Buy herbalaire vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/herbalaire-vaporizer.html)

Soundwarp
13th June 2008, 01:03 PM
OMG this is massive news!!!

kup
13th June 2008, 01:45 PM
I hope its the end of Twist ties, I hate them. I still have Nightmares of opening the 6" Titanium toys.

liegeprime
13th June 2008, 08:31 PM
And here I was, thinking I was the only one who hated twist ties... :)

Well I was about to start a thread on this but somewhat beat me to it.. one of my pet peeves since I opened my Energon Unicron - Twist ties

I hope its the end of Twist ties, I hate them. I still have Nightmares of opening the 6" Titanium toys.

I dont know why even the minute minicons have so much of the damn things! one shoulda been enough but goodness! Oh try doing it with the figure mentioned above THAT was a nightmare half an hour of removing twist ties and a few more minutes before that trying to remove the TAPE that was covering the twist ties ends from behind the cardboard inbox, how infuriating! I tried that before discovering wire clippers :eek::eek: I didnt invest on one yet then, how the heck did I know that Unicron came with gazillions of the stuff. It looked as if there was about only 5 from the outside packaging, nuh-uh!

roller
13th June 2008, 08:39 PM
you think your done

then

WHACK!!!!

Anothe twist tie reveals itself

and the poor child spends hours and hours trying to untie it

while their fingers go numb and the frustrtation grows like a mighty (jade stalk:D them chinese knows what im talkin bout)

eventually the frustration is too much and you scream "Damn youse!!! Damn youse all to hell!!!!"

Paulbot
13th June 2008, 10:20 PM
i think it may have started with Beastwars

i dont recall any of my G2s having any

I seem to recall Manta Ray having twist ties but can't be sure. I really want to know now. :confused:

dirge
13th June 2008, 10:25 PM
Nah, Manta Ray came in a moulded bubble on card, as with most G1 toys.

Click here for image. (www.paxeiro.com/mantaray.jpg)

Paulbot
13th June 2008, 10:40 PM
So was it the Beast Wars then? Something Kenner added to the toys. I'm pretty sure they were in place by the Transmetals.

Pulse
13th June 2008, 10:42 PM
How cool would it be if they went back to foam inserts? (For nostalgia sake :))

It probably wouldn't be very enviro friendly but eh? :D

Hell, what if they just dumped all their current lines & re-released the G1 line all_over_again... ;) Now that would be cool! (It'd be like waking up in '84 all over again... :))

& all of a sudden my dream's over :o

Paulbot
13th June 2008, 10:58 PM
Hell, what if they just dumped all their current lines & re-released the G1 line all_over_again... ;) Now that would be cool! (It'd be like waking up in '84 all over again... :))

That's what I like about the Encore line, apart from the foreign language on the boxes it is like getting stuff from 1984. My Autobot Car Encores are proudly on display in their boxes. :D

kup
13th June 2008, 11:11 PM
you think your done

then

WHACK!!!!

Anothe twist tie reveals itself

and the poor child spends hours and hours trying to untie it

while their fingers go numb and the frustrtation grows like a mighty (jade stalk:D them chinese knows what im talkin bout)

eventually the frustration is too much and you scream "Damn youse!!! Damn youse all to hell!!!!"

On more than a few occasions I have actually been cut by the Frackers. Heck, while packing a Titanium back in the box I cut myself with one.

Paulbot
13th June 2008, 11:17 PM
On more than a few occasions I have actually been cut by the Frackers. Heck, while packing a Titanium back in the box I cut myself with one.

+1 also on a Titanium ... those were the heavy duty twist ties!

Golden Phoenix
14th June 2008, 12:24 PM
Praise the Lord.
I had a horrible time with Cybertron Primus. I could transform Masterpiece Megatron faster then I could get Primus free, and that's saying something!

I don't know why they even implemented them in the first place. I always thought it would be cheaper and less labor to use these.

kup
14th June 2008, 12:50 PM
Praise the Lord.
I had a horrible time with Cybertron Primus. I could transform Masterpiece Megatron faster then I could get Primus free, and that's saying something!

I don't know why they even implemented them in the first place. I always thought it would be cheaper and less labor to use these.

Hasbro is more concerned about costumers (the stores) buying the product than delivering a good toy to the end consumer. So all their emphasis goes on the looks of the packaging rather than what's inside.

They want you to pick up the 'awesome' looking box and that's it.

Pulse
14th June 2008, 01:00 PM
Hasbro is more concerned about costumers (the stores) buying the product than delivering a good toy to the end consumer. So all their emphasis goes on the looks of the packaging rather than what's inside.

So, Would you say that TFs packaged in Bot mode seemed to use a hell of alot more twist ties than same sized figures packaged in Alt mode?

Then again, Can you imagine if they would have packaged Unicron/Primus in Planet Mode... :rolleyes:

What would be more 'awesome looking' - A giant toy robot or a weird looking bowling ball? :D

liegeprime
14th June 2008, 08:32 PM
+1 also on a Titanium ... those were the heavy duty twist ties!

On that note, isnt there child safety rules governing these toys? Thats why they f@3&d up most the missles to something as long as a teaspoons, but then we have twist ties which have wires that cut. I have encountered more than once a twist tie that has its plastic coat peeling, thats dangerous they should limit these really if not able to get rid altogether. I mean one decent twist tie in the torso of a deluxe or voyager toy will keep it in place. Jeez they put like 6 on a deluxe and more on Voyagers!

Zippo
14th June 2008, 09:32 PM
Remember that an adult should remove the toy from the packaging and give to the child, therefore the child would never see these dangerious twist ties.

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th June 2008, 07:02 PM

However they didn't really get the boxes looking all that flash until they changed to the style they used during Cybertron.

Remember that an adult should remove the toy from the packaging and give to the child, therefore the child would never see these dangerious twist ties.
How many parents actually take the toys out of the box for the kids though? I Don't recall any notes on the box saying that removing from package is best done by mum/dad though. Although, once the packaging has been ripped to shreds by Junior, then the twist ties guarranteed the folks had to take it from there I guess.:p

STL
15th June 2008, 10:59 PM

Likewise! Bloomin' frustrating they are. Even equipped w/ a nail cutter it was hard to remove the damn thing. I felt sorry for the buggers who sat there and did all that packaging.

Lord_Zed
16th June 2008, 07:09 PM
Twist ties suck, but I always assumed they implemented them as an anti shoplifting device, can't rip a toy out of its packaging and shove it under your jumper when its got twist ties.

G1 packaging is superior looking ofcourse, my only complaint about G1 packaging is how easy it was for those non lawabiding kids to steal the toys. I missed out on getting Skullcruncher because the only toy in stock had it's headmaster knicked (probably by Dirge):D.

dirge
16th June 2008, 09:26 PM
Wasn't me. I paid for my Skullcruncher.

I did rack Skystalker from within his box, leaving the base behind though.

(not proud of it, I was probably 13... and bored)

Fungal Infection
16th June 2008, 09:40 PM
I shoplifted a Thunderwing (minus stickers) when I was a young'un which incidentally ended up in Dirge's collection!

dirge
16th June 2008, 10:23 PM
How poetic.

MV75
17th June 2008, 07:47 AM
How cool would it be if they went back to foam inserts? (For nostalgia sake :))

It probably wouldn't be very enviro friendly but eh? :D

& all of a sudden my dream's over :o

Forget the greenie crap, styrofoam is in heavy use everywhere else still. Just look at all the boxed electronics and packing peanuts. :D

EDIT: And it was just as hard to lift a toy back then as you had to open the box, then open the sealed inner bubble, and also make sure you got the accessories, etc. With the carded toys today, just ripp open and take the insert with everything tied to it. :D

As for the boxed voyagers and up, they're just too large to steal.
________
Marijuana indica (http://strainindex.com)

Tiby
18th June 2008, 04:19 PM
Yay! Although I have made use of the twist ties for other purposes. The plastic coating means they don't rust if I use them to tie things outside. Having said that, my supply is more than enough for this lifetime!

dirge
18th June 2008, 08:53 PM
As for the boxed voyagers and up, they're just too large to steal.

I dunno. I managed to steal Soundwave as a kid :eek:

(I'm not proud of it, just saying. It happened... I can't change that)

MV75
19th June 2008, 04:42 PM
I dunno. I managed to steal Soundwave as a kid :eek:

(I'm not proud of it, just saying. It happened... I can't change that)

I was meaning todays toys. Much larger. Soundwave would be deluxe sized today.

But speaking of size, I'd rather scout/deluxe sized toys, they have more detail in them as opposed to the vast plastic wastelands and large rattly plastic wheels that make up todays larger toys. :D
________
Thinkmill (http://thinkmill.com/)

STL
20th June 2008, 12:10 AM
I got my first hasbro no twist ties toy today. It was a very pleasant experience. Trying to get TFA Cybertron Prime right though was as annoying as trying to get thru twist ties. I'd almost be inclined to trade the twist ties for a more seamless alt mode.

Lenneth
21st June 2008, 04:43 PM
I like the twist ties. I used them to tie up my hair.

Hey, I have to save for my Transformers somehow!