PDA

View Full Version : Classics Optimus Prime vs Megatron Boxset

Adzma
8th January 2008, 05:26 PM
Anybody know if we can get these chaps locally? Melbourne specifically; there was one on eBay a few weeks back that was in Richmond I believe but at the time I decided not to buy it. Now unfortunately there aren't any on eBay coming from Australia and I don't particularly feel like importing it over from the US. I want to get the set mainly for Prime since he's closer to his G1 appearance than the other Classic version, then I'll be buying a Takara Megs to go with him. But anywho, does anybody know of somewhere that might stock these puppies? I'm hoping Myer because I know they used to have a fairly large Classics selection... at least, the one I went to did. Although granted that was months ago.

TheDirtyDigger
8th January 2008, 05:38 PM
there was one on eBay a few weeks back that was in Richmond I believe but at the time I decided not to buy it.

That was probably mine. I do have one other but am not selling at the moment. Maybe in the future.

I think you would be hell lucky to find these anywhere at shop level now especially after Christmas.

As a suggestion I think if you be a Melbourne boy you should list your wants in the Melbourne Missionaries thread and we can all keep an eye out for you.

iceburn
8th January 2008, 06:24 PM
As a suggestion I think if you be a Melbourne boy you should list your wants in the Melbourne Missionaries thread and we can all keep an eye out for you.

agreed :cool:

jaydisc
8th January 2008, 06:30 PM
According to many, the Ultimate Battle bundle you refer to really isn't part of the Classics series. Also, the reviews of these two figures are typically quite poor. You sure you want 'em?

Sorry for digressing. I have never seen these in shops.

jaydisc
8th January 2008, 07:08 PM
Too pricey? (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-Optimus-Prime-VS-Megatron-2pack-NEW_W0QQitemZ270146557139QQihZ017QQcategoryZ753QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Adzma
8th January 2008, 08:54 PM
Also, the reviews of these two figures are typically quite poor. You sure you want 'em?

Too pricey? (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-Optimus-Prime-VS-Megatron-2pack-NEW_W0QQitemZ270146557139QQihZ017QQcategoryZ753QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Hmm... I really only want Prime since he's more G1 accurate in this incarnation than his other classics version. Plus the other Prime's alt mode is HIDEOUS. But poor how exactly? Are they flimsy?

jaydisc
8th January 2008, 09:07 PM
Here are the reviews I've read:

http://cliffbee.com/reviews/classicsprime.php
http://cliffbee.com/reviews/classicsmegatron.php

Did you see that auction I linked to?

Paulbot
8th January 2008, 09:26 PM
The toys aren't great IMO. In robot mode Prime is good but the vehicle's sucky and Megatron has a few problems.

Target stocked them but in the postmovie rush on Transformers any that might have remained were swept away. The Optimus Prime figure was rereleased in movie packaging in a special double pack with Cyber Slammer Movie Prime. That was also sold at Targets but I haven't seen one in ages.

STL
8th January 2008, 11:59 PM
The toys aren't great IMO. In robot mode Prime is good but the vehicle's sucky and Megatron has a few problems.

I agree. They're middling in range and Megatron's problems leave him below par. Prime has a great robot mode. I really dig it for it's size. However, his alt mode is disappointing. Check out seibertron.com's galleries for yourself.

Megatron could be a good figure but too many parts fall off for it to be worthwhile

Adzma
9th January 2008, 01:07 AM
Did you see that auction I linked to?
Yeah I did. Bit too pricey I think.

So I saw from seibertron's image gallery... This puts me in a difficult position. Maybe I should just skimp on the Classics altogther, they never really struck me as top quality anyway. I was just hoping to get something to go with Takara's Megatron redeco, if I decide to get him at all that is.

jaydisc
9th January 2008, 09:23 AM
Maybe I should just skimp on the Classics altogther, they never really struck me as top quality anyway. I was just hoping to get something to go with Takara's Megatron redeco, if I decide to get him at all that is.

By strict definition, the two figures we're discussing aren't Classics any more than in packaging design. I agree that the Classics Voyager Prime's alt mode is a bit weird (it does grow on you), but I think the robot mode is awesome. Extremely articulate and well proportioned. Plus, I find the transformation to be a bit fun.

Paulbot
9th January 2008, 09:46 AM
The two-pack Prime would look a bit small next to the Voyager Megatron. The two toys in the two-pack are deluxe size and of a lesser quality in general than the other deluxes that were in the Classics line.

Adzma
9th January 2008, 06:37 PM
Hmm... This gives me much to think about... Maybe I'll just get both Takara's Prime and Megs to make things easy. The Alt mode for Prime won't matter too much anyway I guess, he'll stay in robot mode for most of his life.

EDIT: Well, I just did a direct comparison between Hasbro and Takara's Prime, and now it's more likely that I'll nab him and Megs. Takara's versions look so much better than Hasbro's IMO.

Paulbot
15th January 2008, 08:41 PM
If you're still interested in the two pack I found one at K-Mart. It is $60 though.

Adzma
15th January 2008, 10:07 PM
Nah I'm good. Thanks for the offer though.

jaydisc
22nd January 2008, 07:27 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PRIME-VS-MEGATRON_W0QQitemZ120209807987QQihZ002QQcategoryZ7 53QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Adzma
22nd January 2008, 11:01 PM
Hmm I'll keep an eye on that one, but it seems most, if not all people on this board think these figures suck, so I probably won't end up bidding on it. Thanks for the find though.

STL
22nd January 2008, 11:45 PM
Are you coming to the Melbourne meet this Sunday? If you are, someone might be able to bring them so you can see for yourself. If you want, I can even drop them off with Jaydisc even though I can't make Sunday so you can check them out.

It's no hassle, really, b/c Jaydisc wants to checkout my JRX too so I was going to drop by sometime when we're both free so he could check it out.

Adzma
23rd January 2008, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't mind going to the meet, but if it's a Sunday I may have to work. I'll be able to find out tomorrow (hopefully).

sifun
23rd January 2008, 06:22 PM
optimus is bad. plastic quality sucks.
Megatron is bad, just doesn't feel right. Paint quality sucks.
Overall. DO NOT BUY.