PDA

View Full Version : My delicate conundrum (Animated QC Issue)

Thanatos
19th June 2008, 02:16 AM
Well, I bought Animated Lockdown today. Figure isn't too shabby to be honest. It didn't even have twist ties which is always a bonus. But when I transformed him the very first time (according to the instructions), the left hand broke off! It just snapped across the little circle. Now here are my options.

1. Deal with it. QC and Hasbro don't go hand in hand. Also, it works nicely for the motif I have that Lockdown is a pirate and Prowl (who I also bought today) is a ninja, what with him having a hook for a hand and all.
2. Return it. Now this raises a few other problems. I have my receipt, I have everything I need to return it, but what's the best way to do it? In my removal of Lockdown from the box, I pretty much did no damage whatsoever to the box. Keep in mind that this is TRU we're talking about and I'm not sure what their policies are on return. I can either transform him back to car mode, replace him in the package, and ask for a return (do they do change of mind?) or I can go in and show them what the problem is with my figure itself (the hand joint snapped as I was transforming, I didn't push it past it's limitations.
3. Fix it myself. This would involve a tiny bit of drill/dremel work, remove the pin, glue the hand back together, place in the hole, put the pin back through and hey good as new. Imperfect, but doable.

Now, bear in mind that overall, I would still prefer to have a Lockdown figure, as aside from the shocking problem with the hand. If I was to return it to the store for the money I would just as happily go with putting him back in the box, maybe even get myself a little Bumblebee instead.

So the main issues are my figure is defective and I don't know how to go about fixing it. Also I do not know what TRU offers in terms of customer assisstance.

Also I'm aware how late I'm posting this. There are reasons I'm up this late :P

lcz128
19th June 2008, 05:40 AM
I'm really quite torn on issues like this. With toys breaking due to bad qc, it's really a manufacturer fault, but rarely have I heard of them supporting anything. So in returning the figure to the place where you bought it, the business is then stuck with a broken toy that the manufacturer wants nothing to do with. I'd be more against it if it was a small retailer, but typically don't care if it's one of those huge exploitative companies that are out there.

SO. depends on what you can and will live with I suppose :\ Personally, I'd try to fix it myself and look into what minor customisations I can make with the figure while I'm at it (lookit that thread with the animated fixes - sweet stuff there :D)

Just my thirteen cents... :D

dirge
19th June 2008, 06:32 AM
Take it back. I've purchased a TF from TRU with quality issues before. They had no dramas with swapping it over for same. They just send it back to Hasbro, I guess.

GoktimusPrime
19th June 2008, 08:59 AM
I agree w/ dirge. Take it back. Although TRU don't do change-of-mind exchanges/refunds/store credit, they will do it if the toy is faulty.

e.g.:
When I bought General Grievous/Wheelbike, I was like "eeww," and brought it back to TRU for a change of mind refund. They told me that it wasn't their policy (I actually did get a refund - I genuinely didn't know at the time, and the staff member I spoke to was kind enough to give me a refund, but strictly speaking it's not in their policy).
When I bought my 08 movie deluxe Bumblebee, one of those yellow upper arm panels popped off and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it back in. So I brought it back - the staff member I spoke to himself tried to get it back in and agreed that it was defective and allowed me to exchange it for another one.

So yeah, in your case it's a defective product and you're absolutely entitled to either a refund, exchange or store credit. :)

1orion2many
19th June 2008, 09:28 AM
:)Just tell them it was broken in the package but wasn't obvious until you opened it;):D.

Pulse
19th June 2008, 09:34 AM
I've gotta whole-heartedly agree with the guys - take it back.

Part of the figure breaking off the very first time you played with it? Now, as a consumer, that is totally unacceptable :(.

My Lockdown's leg pops off the balljoint incredibly easy but it also pops back on with the same ease - but I can live with it (a bit of superglue over the balljoint should fix it). But if I were you, I'd bring it straight back for a replacement & transform it right infront of them - just to check it isn't broken :).

jaydisc
19th June 2008, 10:26 AM
I had the exact same issue. Took it back. It was Toy Kingdom, and THEY were apologetic. It is a defect, or a design flaw. Unfortunately, in my replacement, I got one of the bung hip joints people have referred to. However, this time I waited too long to take it back, so I will buy another, make one good figure between the two and return the remnants for a refund.

Tetsuwan Convoy
19th June 2008, 12:48 PM
I've gotta whole-heartedly agree with the guys - take it back.

Part of the figure breaking off the very first time you played with it? Now, as a consumer, that is totally unacceptable :(.

My Lockdown's leg pops off the balljoint incredibly easy but it also pops back on with the same ease - but I can live with it (a bit of superglue over the balljoint should fix it). But if I were you, I'd bring it straight back for a replacement & transform it right infront of them - just to check it isn't broken :).

I had the bung hip joint as well. Was really annoyed as I was so excited about the toy. Every time I picked it up his leg would drop off. So I decided to take it back and get another, which is good, because later on I snapped the hand off as well.

Now my new one has a more secure hip, both hands and better paint applications too.

Bugger them, if hasbro whip out defective figures, then by law they have to replace it. You don't get a discount when buying it and if we keep fixing them ourselves, Hasbro won't change their QC issues as they will see everything as being fine (since they haven't had any returns).

roller
19th June 2008, 01:19 PM
thanatos

thats not even a question

take back the toy and say it was broken when you opened it

if they say no then you can deceive them by saying u changed ur mind

And ring Hasbro as well and complain

Thanatos
19th June 2008, 02:04 PM
Sounds like going back to TRU is the best way to go. I definatley like the way the figure looks. I reckon I could probably fix it myself but I don't think I'll bother. I'm just wary because of the hip issues some people have complained of.

How would I go about it? The box is there, I should bring it in loose shouldn't I? Show what happened and where. Might be hard pressed since TRU may well say that the breakage is my fault.

I might go with the excuse "There's no hand here!" and say there wasn't one to begin with. I know the TRU peons, they don't have the intelligence to realise that I'm wrong.

jaydisc
19th June 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanatos, you're seriously putting too much though and worry.

YOU ARE TOTALLY ENTITLED!

You can say the truth if you like: "It appeared as if the figures hand would extend further and I applied the tiniest bit of pressure and it snapped."

What I would recommend doing instead though is buying a 2nd Lockdown first and making sure it's all good, or piece together one good one between the two. Then take the remnants back and simply ask for a refund saying that you find it unacceptable that a $25 toy could be so poorly made. That way you don't risk getting a second bung figure.

Thanatos
19th June 2008, 03:45 PM
Not a terrible idea jay. I'll pop by TRU tomorrow then.

Thanks!

kurdt_the_goat
19th June 2008, 05:19 PM
Sounds like you're just worried what they'll say or if they wont believe you. I don't blame you, i feel the same myself in that situation
When it comes to that, it's time to call in the big guns - get your mum to take it back for you :)

Thanatos
19th June 2008, 09:42 PM
That would also work kurdt :P.

STL
19th June 2008, 10:11 PM
Dude, stop asking rhetorical questions. :p

I agree w/ Jaydisc's sentiment. Its' your right. Though with him, I don't understand how he's complaining "this time I waited too long to take it back". I'm sure he could've gotten around that if he tried.

Anyway, if you do run into a roadblock, use innocent eyes, nice friendly smile and be talkative. Strike up conversation. It always motivates them that bit extra. ;)

Pulse
19th June 2008, 10:42 PM
Or just hope against hope that the TRU person is a girl/woman & turn on the ol' Thanatos charm... :D

Thanatos
19th June 2008, 10:50 PM
That charm works less when I come in as a collector whinging about my broken figure. :P

I'll still pull all the tricks ;)

Thanatos
22nd June 2008, 05:52 PM
A double post because edit doesnt work.

Went back, she offered me any toy from the line but I just went with another Lockdown. It's nice having 2 hands :P. No waist issue, but slightly worse paint. I'll live.

GoktimusPrime
22nd June 2008, 08:10 PM
That charm works less when I come in as a collector whinging about my broken figure.
So pretend to be a parent - Jamie Lynn style! :p ;)

Thanatos
22nd June 2008, 09:36 PM
When I need that go to card Gok, I use my younger siblings. Works a treat.

jaydisc
22nd June 2008, 09:57 PM
Jamie Lynn style! :p ;)

www.sexyjamie.com :confused:

roller
23rd June 2008, 11:47 AM
jamie lynn spears yayayyouuuuuuuuu

SilverDragon
23rd June 2008, 04:48 PM
I hope these issues get fixed by the time the Animated toys I actually really want are released. I don't want defective Dinobots.