PDA

View Full Version : Another day, another failed attempt...

griffin
20th June 2008, 06:16 AM
Well, after spending six hours transfering files and making a copy of the board's database to upload to the new server, I am now unable to access the control panel to complete the last few file uploads.
I have to wait for their office hours to get an answer, but I'm not too impressed about this failure of service on the first day.
I'll try again tomorrow night. (I can't do it during the day, because the board has to be turned off during the copying of the database and uploading it, which is over an hour to do, and a fresh copy needs to be made with each attempt).
I'm off to sleep now. Have to get up in 4 or 5 hours time so I can verbally abuse the new server host.

Kyle
20th June 2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all your hardwork for us. :)

Have fun abusing the new server host. :p

griffin
20th June 2008, 01:32 PM
Spoke briefly to the tech department of the new server host, and it seems that my abruptness was considered rather rude, and not appreciated. They don't seem to understand the frustration I am feeling at the moment. I still can't access the site's control panel, and apparently not getting any of their emails either, so why can't I be a little upset.
They said they will look into it some time today, and I *might* have access by tomorrow.
If not, I probably won't be able to get any tech help until monday.
If I do have access, I'll try yet again tonight to complete the transfer.
Everything except the board's database is on the new server. Once it is uploaded, we are good to go. But each attempt needs to have a fresh copy of the database made (about 45Mb at the moment), making the entire task a 2-3 hour job.

i_amtrunks
20th June 2008, 02:00 PM
You arent with anyone by the name of Blitz Telecom are you Grif?

Sure sounds like their terrible customer service, and actual service...

dirge
20th June 2008, 06:27 PM
<huggles>

we appreciate your efforts, griffin. Chin up (:

Vector Sigma 13
20th June 2008, 07:21 PM
Ditto.

Griffin- Thanks for all the hard work. Hope you have a bit more success.

MV75
21st June 2008, 08:42 PM
Once it is uploaded, we are good to go. But each attempt needs to have a fresh copy of the database made (about 45Mb at the moment), making the entire task a 2-3 hour job.

Why does it take so long?
________
Volcano Classic Vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/volcano-vaporizer)

griffin
21st June 2008, 11:02 PM
It took that long the first couple of attempts, but I'm getting faster at the backing-up and upload attempts now, so that it only takes about half an hour with each attempt.
Just as an update, I have to wait until monday to ask the server host if there is some admin setting preventing me from creating tables within the database.
After I found away around their upload size limit (by deleting half of the attachments file and then gzipping the backup copy), it won't accept it (after it spends 10-15minutes uploading it of course), or even a fresh instillation that would generate all new blank tables.
So lets see.... I signed up to the new server host wednesday, get blocked from accessing it thursday, can't upload the backup file friday because the board runs at 45Mb and the upload limit set by the server host is 10.5Mb, then today when I figure out a way around that, I find that a gzipped file of 7.5Mb isn't being accepted because (I think) the server host settings are preventing it.
It seems that every time I resolve one problem, another one appears, to stop me from doing what I want to do. Nothing ever seems to go according to plan.

Monday, I'm going to hand over the problem (and files) to the server host, and if they can't make the board work on their server either, I guess I go server hunting again. At least this one came with a money-back guarantee. Pity I can't get a 'time-back' guarantee... :)

Pulse
21st June 2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, that'll be right.

Sure they'll take your hard earned but then they don't wanna know ya... :rolleyes:

griffin
24th June 2008, 04:57 AM
Managed to get the board and database uploaded successfully on the new server, and there are no problems with posting links or pictures. BUT, for some unknown reason, only the first month of postings are showing up. All the topics are listed on the section tables, but clicking on them brings up an empty topic screen for any topic posted since January 31st.
As I said before, when one problem is fixed, another pops up to take it's place.
I'll see what I can figure out on this problem now...

kup
24th June 2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for your effort, Griffin.

1orion2many
24th June 2008, 10:06 AM
:)You've got a lot more patience than me Griffin, I would have thrown a tantie by now like the young German kid on youtube:D. Hopefully you can see light at the end of the tunnel;).

Kyle
24th June 2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks again Griffin~! :)

iceburn
24th June 2008, 10:21 AM
no worries griffin..thanks for all the attempts.
we are seeing the bright light soon and will be out of this darkness :)

looks like a technical problem that jay might be able to figure out???

STL
24th June 2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks again, boss bot. Just take ur time, no rush.