PDA

View Full Version : Arms Micron Breakdown

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd July 2012, 12:22 AM
So, here's a few pics (couldn't fit too many in the one post, and need to get some sleep for work tomorrow so no vehicle mode pics tonight, sorry) and some brief thoughts on Arms Micron Breakdown. I recommend seeing Peaugh's review (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-video-reviews/621868-peaugh-reviews-am-12-breakdown.html), which is a lot more in-depth than this one.

Basically, he's pretty sweet, though IMO he doesn't quite warrant Peaugh's gushing-ness either. He is a really solid figure with good poseability, but being a Prime figure he has some pretty stiff competition in FE Starscream and PRiDE Vehicon and he doesn't quite reach those lofty heights. That said, he's still very much a decent figure and well worth getting if you're a fan of the character and/or series.

Robot mode is solid and bulky, though a little on the short side for a Voyager IMO - there's a certain amount of Bulkhead syndrome here, though not as bad as Animated Bulkhead and far better than Animated Lugnut. Another head or so taller and he'd be quite a bit more imposing. Even a little on the short side as he is, he's still rocking the bulk - this is obviously a strong-bot, and the oversized hand-hammer works to that effect. Articulation is great, as is stability - poseability-wise he does just fine, especially for a heavy-type character. He's no Classics Mirage to be sure, but he's definitely no Airachnid either. Head movement is restricted a little by his chin collar and low-set neck, but that's a pretty minor complaint. There's a bit of kibble there, but for the most part it's well integrated into the figure and doesn't spoil the look. The head sculpt - and the rest of the figure for that matter - is spot-on to the show likeness. The color scheme works well for both modes, and the Arms Micron works pretty well as his hand-hammer. Sadly he's missing his shoulder-cannon,but the Arms Micron can sort of double as a handgun weapon (or plug into his shoulder for an oversized, non-show-accurate shoulder cannon) so that's more or less excusable.

Transformation is pretty good. Not too hard and not too easy - once you've done it once or twice it shouldn't pose any problems. Getting all the tabs to lock in takes a little bit of fiddling but once that's done he's pretty tight.

Vehicle mode is also solid and a pretty decent size for a modern Voyager class. Happily his sticker applications seem to stay on better than AM Soundwave, though like AM Soundwave they can be a pain to apply. He scales fairly well with Knock Out in alt-mode (I don't have a Bulkhead for comparison, sorry), and looks the part of a bulky bruiser-type. His Arms Micron looks kind of out-of-place as they tend to do, but not as bad as many of them. He has lots of ports for the arms microns, but happily they're not that obtrusive (I'm looking at you, AM Knock Out :mad: ). There's not a heap of undercarriage clearance, so maybe don't take him off-road rolling if you want to keep the silver stickers on his feet pristine.

The Micron is OK, if a bit unconvincing in robot mode. Still, it makes a decent hammer and a not-too-bad blaster in alt-mode, so no complaints here. Also, if you only transform his handle from beast-mode you can stick him on vehicle Breakdown and have a joy-riding rhino, which is kind of amusing.:D

Unfortunately, if mine is typical then he gets stress-marks fairly easily, so be gentle if his head pops off and when inserting the Micron.

All in all, he's well worth picking up, especially if you can get him for a non-scalper-y price. As mentioned, I wouldn't quite put him up there with the heights of PRiDE Vehicon or FE Starscream but he's still pretty damn good. Definitely get him if you're a fan of Prime and/or the character, and if not have a look-see at someone else's and think about it.

Ode to a Grasshopper
2nd July 2012, 12:32 AM
Vehicle mode pics, then sleep.
Enjoy.

ispayks
6th July 2012, 08:57 PM
Awesome con. Not really fond of stickers, hasbro should release this guy.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8142/7513772994_6c2f126a61.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7127/7513773098_42f01b5b4b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/7513829364_10eef0bcdb.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7123/7513829084_5021831939.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8162/7513829252_a2257b65a9.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
6th July 2012, 10:11 PM
Hmm, Good size with Bulkhead there! Thanks. I was wondering how he'd look.

griffin
22nd July 2012, 10:58 PM
Breakdown (JP Arms Micron Version)
Series - Transformers Prime
Sub-line - Arms Micron
Size/class - Voyager
Wave - AM12
New/remould/redeco - New
Released here - Not here (released in Japan July 2012)
Approximate Retail Price - ?
Approximate Size - 18cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Armoured truck
Main Features/Gimmicks - Micron partner (hammer/rhino)
Main Colours - Dark blue, white, black (Breakdown), white (Micron)
Main Accessories - Micron

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/jp2012a29.jpg

liegeprime
23rd July 2012, 12:05 AM
Shame Hasbro seems to be delaying issuing their versio of the figure so I'm gonna have to import the taktom version. But, this is a musthave figure to complete the showcast. Will defiitely purchase it, hopefully find a cheap one as the ebay prices on this figure is skyrocketing atm.

UltraMarginal
23rd July 2012, 01:19 PM
Are any of the surfaces that the stickers are placed on, not flat? for example the head lights or tail lights?

griffin
24th July 2012, 12:46 AM
The knees are a nuisance, with four stickers on each knee (because they are curved). The Micron is a bit fiddly too. But most are on flat surfaces though, with this one.

UltraMarginal
24th July 2012, 11:17 AM
So there's no molded detail for headlights and the front Grill? that makes it really look like it's not coming out in the western market.

Shirokaze
24th July 2012, 12:13 PM
So I just decided to crack mine open, and DAMN those knee stickers. Quite difficult to get them symmetrical and looking good. It's almost like they're slightly the wrong size.

Figure is pretty awesome though. Great articulation for a bulky fellow.

VERT
24th July 2012, 12:22 PM
I thought the stickers were fun :D But I love stickers. Top figure really like it :D

griffin
24th July 2012, 12:34 PM
They're moulded... it just has stickers on the headlights. So if Hasbro did it, they might have paint apps on them, if they could afford it.

UltraMarginal
24th July 2012, 12:58 PM
cool, they look very flat in the pictures I've seen. I'm trying to weigh up getting this and potentially applying my own paint apps against waiting for Hasbro to "possibly" release it with paint apps applied, and approx $20 cheaper if I pick it up from a Big W or something like that here.

and the hasbro might have more show accurate weapons, or just a stupid mechtech weapon.

Seraphim Prime
25th July 2012, 06:20 AM
Still hoping this gets released by Hasbro.

Unfortunately Archer seemed to avoid giving a definitive to the during the SDCC panel. One of the US forums apparently followed it up personally, and the answer was that the mould was available to Hasbro, but they were uncertain of cost/price.

UltraMarginal
25th July 2012, 07:20 AM
just taken the plunge and ordered one for myself.:cool:

griffin
25th July 2012, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately Archer seemed to avoid giving a definitive to the during the SDCC panel. One of the US forums apparently followed it up personally, and the answer was that the mould was available to Hasbro, but they were uncertain of cost/price.

Cost may well be a factor, as it is the same weight as Bulkhead, but since that one is the heaviest Hasbro Voyager so far (without weapon or Micron), maybe they could only afford one "heavy" Voyager...

Breakdown - 140gms
Bulkhead - 136gms
Megatron - 127gms
Optimus - 123gms
Starscream 69gms (yes, less plastic than most Deluxes)

They certainly saved a fortune with Starscream though, as it is half the weight of Breakdown... and Breakdown isn't a major character, so isn't going to sell too many for them to produce too many (at a smaller profit margin).

Someone suggested that maybe they were going to remould the head to give him an eyepatch... but I can't imagine that that would be the cause, as the pair of companies would have been working together on each mould, and would have pre-planned alternate heads (like they do with any remould that has a new head - it's created at the same time as the first head).

Size in the packaging certainly isn't a factor, as it is the same size as Bulkhead in both modes, so can still fit in the standard Voyager box. The robot modes were posted above, but here are their vehicle modes...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/488.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
26th July 2012, 08:42 PM
Just picked up mine the other day. 45 damn stickers!! REALLY? 45!! Sh-t, I think I was doing them for a dman hour before I got to play with the toy itself... Some of them are a pain and I can see the knee ones coming off, especially if you roll him around in vehicle mode as there is the tiniest amount of clearance...

Plus I was a bit saddened by his weight.

And then this:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/3ff0605b.jpg

Pretty much the same height as a deluxe...

Aside from that though, fun intuitive transformation and very poseable. Aside from the crapload of stickers to apply and his lack of height, still quite a fun toy.

GoktimusPrime
5th September 2012, 09:23 PM
A neat and reasonably solid toy. Stickers are a hassle, although the toy does look better with the stickers on (it looks too plain without them IMO). But paint apps would've been loads better of course. :rolleyes: Constructing the Mini-Con Zamu was another hassle... feels like another cost-cutting cheapness factor like the stickers. But the toy itself is nice -- good sculpt, good colours - I quite like the head sculpt. Not too fond of having all those unsightly holes everywhere, but this toy tends to "blend" them in reasonably well so that they're not too noticeable I suppose.

I will say one good thing about the sticker sheet -- it comes with 2 spare Decepticon logos. So did Skywarp -- so looks like I'll finally be able to give my Hasbro TFPRiD Soundwave some insignias! :rolleyes: And yeah, having stickers for decos is better than just having nothing ... Hasbro's TFPRiD Ratchet is a classic example of this (no logo, sparse paint apps). I do like how Zamu is sculpted to look like both a hammer and a gun, so you can either attach it to the arm as a hammer or on the shoulder as a gun like in the cartoon (even if it looks nothing like his shoulder mounted cannon in the show, still a neat feature though). :) Transforming the toy to vehicle mode can be a bit fiddly in order to get all those panels aligned correctly, but it's not too bad (no where near as awful as say Big Convoy :rolleyes:).

Overall: recommended if you want this character and you can get it at RRP or less. The 'cheapness' of the stickers and build-a-minicon (and as Tetsuwan Convoy also pointed out, diminutive size for a Voyager) doesn't make it good value above the Voyager price point (arguably it's not even that good value for a Voyager). This toy retails for 4200JPY ($53) -- I was able to get mine for 3054JPY ($38), so for what I paid I'm happy. But I wouldn't recommend exceeding RRP on this toy.

I'm guessing that TakTOM have lost the rights to the "Breakdown" name since this toy is called "War Breakdown" (as is their Cyberverse "EZ Collection" version). But what I don't get is the variant "spellings" of "Breakdown" between the Voyager (ウォーブレークダウン; "Woo Bureekudaun") and EZC (ウォーブレイクダウン; "Woo Bureikudaun") versions. I prefer the "spelling" on the EZC one as it sounds slightly more similar to how Breakdown is pronounced in English.

Photos

Vehicle mode before and after applying stickers
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/misc%20photo%20skits/War%20Breakdown/warbreakdown03.jpg
(actually, I'd forgotten to apply the yellow indicator stickers at the time I took these photos :p)

Rear view of stickered vehicle
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/misc%20photo%20skits/War%20Breakdown/warbreakdown03a.jpg

Robot mode before and after sticker apps
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/misc%20photo%20skits/War%20Breakdown/warbreakdown01.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th September 2012, 09:53 PM
I reckon of all the Jap Prime figs, this one has the best inclusion of the micron ports. That isn't much of a complement though. But He's pretty good.

Chest and shoulders really need something to break up the plastic look.

Paulbot
13th November 2013, 09:29 PM
Found the transformation on this guy a real puzzle, eventually just squeezing everything in, locking things in and hoping for the best. Not really feeling the love for this one, but we don't get many Decepticon trucks so that adds some value in uniqueness, plus the whole "show cast" thing.

Omega Metro
13th November 2013, 10:06 PM
Not really feeling the love for this one

Me neither. I disposed of mine months ago. Too big, fat and chunky. And don't get me started on the toy!:D