PDA

View Full Version : Animated Optimus Prime - Deluxe Cybertron Mode vs. Deluxe Battle Damaged Earth Mode

jaydisc
21st June 2008, 08:38 PM
OK, I think a lot of us have acquired one or both of the above and I'm curious to hear people's thoughts & opinions in greater detail.

I got Cybertron first and I think my low expectations and a great QC build have both contributed to me truly adoring this figure. On the advice of others, specifically Kyle and STL, I grabbed the other version yesterday. With the exception of the top of the cab and subtle differences in the hands, these two figures transform in a virtually identical fashion. I assumed that they would share parts of their mold, but I'm fairly certain they are entirely unique, even though their transformation design is the same.

Here's a long rambling of my comparing the two. I'd love to hear your thoughts too.

Alt mode:
This one is purely subjective. I love futuristic looking vehicles with large down-plane windscreens, sort of like Japanese bullet trains, the original Kup or a Mercedes A-Class. In the show, Earth mode has taken a few forms, primarily the more fire-engine looking rig, but in some places, like this Earth mode, more of a simple cab, ala G1.
Winner: Cybertron mode Again, purely subjective.

Head mold:
* Cybertron has the face with the mouth.
* Earth mode has the G1 style face plate and battle damage (herein abbreviated as BD).
Winner: Cybertron mode Let's face it, this is Animated Prime's look.

Axe:
* Cybertron has a smaller, double jointed axe which has three modes: single blade, double blade, and a third (silly methinks) mode where you clip the shield onto the axe.
* Earth mode has a nicely detailed larger axe.
* Cybertron axe stows out of sight in alt mode and forms the pivot with which a trailer would attach to.
* Earth mode sticks out like a big fat axe in alt mode.
Based on other's comments in favor of Earth mode's axe, I think I'm in the minority here, but the stowaway-ability of Cybertron's axe goes a long way with me, so I say...
Winner: Cybertron mode

Alt Mode Roof
* Cybertron mode's cab roof detaches to form a shield or combine with the axe.
* Earth mode's cab roof slides out of place and folds up on its back, although the clip that connects the facia to the roof is a bit annoying.
Winner: Earth mode Cybertron's roof's detachability annoys me

Legs
When forming the alt mode, the lower halves of the legs slide up towards the thigh and lock into flaps that cover the shoulder blades of robot mode.
* The Earth mode connectors are superior and with the silly looking axe in place, the rear half of alt mode is quite solid
* Earth mode also has a very gratifying 1cm click when extending the legs to their full length position for robot mode.
Winner: Earth mode

Arm Transformation
* I think one of my favorite features of Cybertron mode is how the hands are interlocked holding the axe in alt mode and as the transformation to robot mode is performed, it looks like he's coming out of a massive leap in order to plunge his axe into something and I think it looks WAY cool.
* Earth mode's hands simply fold in at the wrist.

Colors:
* Cybertron mode's red is a bit of a candy apple red and the painted red of the cab face doesn't blend too well.
* Earth mode is a darker, richer red that suits the character and toy better. The blue is proportionately darker and richer as well.
Winner: Earth mode

Smokestacks/Retardant Hoses
* Cybertron mode's smoestack's swivel out to form Prime's wrist hoses. Because they are on the sides of his forearms, which are articulated so well, you can easily position him in cool poses where the hose is on top pointing at his foe, ala G1 Megatron
* Earth mode's smokestacks also become his hoses, but swiveling them around slides them half way out of their hole and they can then easily fall out. Additionally, they are positioned under the forearm, making the aforementioned pose not possible.

Kyle
21st June 2008, 08:43 PM
"Machine Men"...? :o

Pulse
21st June 2008, 09:34 PM
"Machine Men"...? :o

Hey! I voted for the Machine Men too :D (Google re-directed me to this place instead :rolleyes::))

dirge
21st June 2008, 09:49 PM
I voted for Machine Men, simply because I don't like Animated Prime at all.

jaydisc
21st June 2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah, Machine Men translates to "none of the above" so you chose well.

Golden Phoenix
21st June 2008, 11:35 PM
I prefer Cybertron mode over the Earth one, I think it represents him better. It looks like someone who is younger and less experienced.
It also looks better with the wheels popping out of his shoulders then it does on the Earth mode

iceburn
22nd June 2008, 04:18 PM
i've no idea and i kind of like Machine Men...so voted that first :P
*haha*

Kyle
22nd June 2008, 04:40 PM
I don't like Machine Men, but do like the original Machine Robos from Japan. :p

Pulse
22nd June 2008, 05:35 PM
Maybe this thread title should be changed to incorporate "Machine Men"? :D

But getting back on topic, I don't plan to own any version of TFA Prime (Classics Prime will do me fine :)) but maybe you should hold out for voyager earth-mode Prime - I've heard he's an awesome figure.

Paulbot
22nd June 2008, 06:28 PM
I like the Earth mode better, it all clicks together nicely, had a better weapon and a more realistic and recognisable vehicle mode. I do agree the Cybertron head looks more like the cartoon character, and am looking to see how easily they may swap. The Cybertron version does have a bit of War Within Prime feel to it as well which makes it a nice toy, but I prefer the Earth mode one.

Robzy
22nd June 2008, 07:55 PM
I don't like Machine Men, but do like the original Machine Robos from Japan. :p+1 (although Machine Men and Transformers remind me of my childhood! :o)

But getting back on topic, maybe you should hold out for voyager earth-mode Prime - I've heard he's an awesome figure. Yeah I've read that too! :) I think I'm going to pass on both the deluxe Primes (and Megatron)... and just wait for Voyager Prime! He looks like the best one by far... even if he does have a silly looking axe (for the record, I believe Deluxe 2-pack earth Prime's axe fits in to Voyager's hand!)

GoktimusPrime
22nd June 2008, 09:19 PM
I'm waiting for the Voyager Version. The Deluxe Earth Mode one looks nice, but I can't stand that try-hard battle damage.

I got the Deluxe Cybertron Mode Megatron from that set - split it with liegeprime, who described the battle damage as Venom's alien symbiote from Spiderman. ;p

...I just know that I'm gonna get the Voyager version, then Hasbro will release a clean version of Deluxe Earth Prime. *sigh*

jaydisc
22nd June 2008, 09:42 PM
I think the way that Earth mode's upper chest lines up (or doesn't line up) with his neck/collar/shoulder area makes him look like he's got a big pair of saggy, double D's.

TF76
22nd June 2008, 10:43 PM
They are both pretty good, the Cybertron mode is just a little better looking in both modes but I do like the Earth mode cab design and colour more.

Not to sure about his face, it is ok just not exactly right but I guess with the chin and mouth, it's pretty easy to make him look like the Tick or something and not animated prime.

STL
23rd June 2008, 12:17 AM
I've recanted on my initial misgivings. Cybertron Prime for me. Jaydisc showed me I wasn't transforming mine right at all. 'Twas more complicated than I actually expected. I think the Battle-damage is the determinative factor for me. It works better on Megatron but the BD Prime is not as visually appealing.

I like the arms on Cybertron more too b/c he's can hold the axe in both hands simultaneously. A first for TFs and the range of poses that opens up = hours of fun.

As Jaydisc mentioned today, the major annoyance is that the axes aren't the same size for the fist holes. I would love to use that BD axe for both.

Soundwarp
23rd June 2008, 06:21 AM
Isn't there going to be a Leader size?

jaydisc
23rd June 2008, 08:37 AM
Isn't there going to be a Leader size?

Nope... Supreme, but it's quite disproportionate to itself (and other figures), loaded with gimmicks, and surely exorbitantly expensive.

Kyle
24th June 2008, 04:05 PM
I still like the 2-pack Earth mode Prime more~ :p

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00133.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00126.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00119.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00114.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00117.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00118.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00121.jpg

i_amtrunks
24th June 2008, 04:10 PM
Earth mode fits in better with the rest of his Autobot Crew. I usually dislike "Battle Damage" but dont mind the "Venom" style used in the 2 pack.

However, if Hasbro ever decide to create Cybertron mode toys for the rest of the Autobots, then Cybertron mode Prime will become a must buy.

Kyle
24th June 2008, 04:20 PM
I don't mind the level of battle damage either. It's not too distracting, and can sort of pass as oil stain. :)

I also think this one has a better looking truck cab mode than the Voyager one.

Tetsuwan Convoy
24th June 2008, 05:01 PM
I must admit that I like this battle damage more than any other. Normally I can't stand BD on any figs, its just lame, but (this applies more to Megs than Prime) the BD on the toys looks fairly close to how its animated in the cartoon.
I think that it should be a Cybertron mode prime in the box as hes cyb mode in the cartoon.

jaydisc
26th June 2008, 07:31 PM
Bad news folks.... Earth Mode Voyager Prime is disappointing.

Pros
* His face is great. He has the drop down mouth shield which I thought would look weirder than it does with his face exposed, but it's cool.
* He can hold Deluxe Earth Mode Prime's axe which is a good look.
* He can wield an axe with both hands like the deluxes

Cons
* His axe just plain sucks.
* He can't bend at the knees or thighs more than 15 degrees or so.
* His head can only swivel and the plate it's attached to swivels with it which is a bit weird

Granted, I've only spent about 15 minutes with the figure so far.

Gutsman Heavy
26th June 2008, 09:46 PM

Pros
* His face is great. He has the drop down mouth shield which I thought would look weirder than it does with his face exposed, but it's cool.

Cons
* His head can only swivel and the plate it's attached to swivels with it which is a bit weird

thanks, makes my decsion to not get it more valid, cheers!

if my spelling is off its due to the fact I'm posti via the PS3. It sucks.

The_Damned
26th June 2008, 10:21 PM
reckon there should have been a poll option for getting all 3.....

STL
26th June 2008, 10:48 PM

*cough cough* Considering I dropped it off at ur place at 2 and u started playing w/ it at 3ish that's a terribly long 15 minutes. ;)

Robzy
26th June 2008, 11:25 PM

Pros

Cons

Cheers! :) I was pretty much aware of all your Pros and Cons already (except for the knees issue!), but I think I'm still going to get him! He looks like he displays well!

Kyle
27th June 2008, 09:47 AM
I prefer 2-pack Prime's transformation and how his truck mode looks. But do like the size of Voyager and how the mask works.

sifun
27th June 2008, 03:52 PM
I don't like voyager prime's weird axe thing. . . .

The only thing preventing me from buying the two pack is the fact that deluxe megatron just looks so cheap and nasty. I would get it for prime though.
Hmm hopefully sales will make it cheaper

Kyle
27th June 2008, 04:30 PM
That Megatron's actually not bad. I think it's actually better than the Voyager one. It'd be better with a decent size and good head sculpt of course.

jaydisc
27th June 2008, 04:31 PM
That Megatron's actually not bad. I think it's actually better than the Voyager one. It'd be better with a decent size and good head sculpt of course.

I agree in that it's better than the Voyager, but that doesn't make it "good" :)

GoktimusPrime
27th June 2008, 07:01 PM
...I wanna get the Voyager because it appears to be the "least suckiest" of all the Animated Primes that I've seen on offer.

The Deluxe one turns me right off with that battle damage.
RollOut Command version looks like a huge WAFTAM.
...Voyager wins by default.

*sigh*

I just know that they'll release a clean version of the Deluxe mould after I get the Voyager.

liegeprime
27th June 2008, 08:30 PM
Ive only got the BD mode prime ( from the 2 pack) I like it better from the Cyb mode version - seen Gok's toy up close and in youtube review. Also its got a bigger better axe. At first I thought the BD will tick me off but it doesn't.... I call him Venom Prime now that he's displayed among the other primes in the collection - his BD reminds me of the symbiote that has infected spiderman which later becomes Venom's costume. Thanks goodness its black and not that flouro pink Megsy has! Im still going to buy the voyager version - earth mode if only for the proper sizing. Just like I'm holding out for the bigger Bulkhead. :D

TF76
27th June 2008, 10:23 PM
I got the Voyager today and I like him the most out of the animated primes. His weapons are pretty weird and his waist is annoying but just the size and overall look makes him worth it. I paid K-Mart price and don’t feel cheated.

GoktimusPrime
28th June 2008, 10:28 AM
liegeprime: it also helps that you only paid the price of a Scout for your Deluxe BD Prime. :D

Paulbot
28th June 2008, 07:26 PM
I think the Voyager one beats Bulkhead for looking like a very small toy in a big box. :(

Stompy
6th July 2008, 06:25 PM
I personally like both deluxe Primes. I've never liked battle damage, but the one ont he 2-pack are carefully drawn damage rather than the horrid gradient fade on the other figs.

Cybertron Prime's axe is a ltitle weak but is at least concealed unlike Earth Prime.Aesthetically I like them both but if I must choose... Cybertron mode wins.

As for Voyager Earth Prime. I'm not too keen on the waist being a gimmick transformation. When converting back to vehicle mode is it meant to click as you bend it back? Do you have to spin it the other way first before bending back? Also the steel peg that holds the arms onto the torso is way too loose. His arms just folds back all the time.

kurdt_the_goat
6th July 2008, 06:38 PM
If you flip the lever out of the way, and rotate the waist/legs backwards there should be no clicking, at least there isn't on mine.

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 07:13 PM
As for Voyager Earth Prime. I'm not too keen on the waist being a gimmick transformation. When converting back to vehicle mode is it meant to click as you bend it back? Do you have to spin it the other way first before bending back? Also the steel peg that holds the arms onto the torso is way too loose. His arms just folds back all the time.

The "vaunted" STL was first to open and transform my Voyager prime and he wasn't aware of the gimmick and just folded down the legs thinking it was ratcheting :eek: The figure never recovered. It also had the same very loose chest/shoulder pins. I exchanged it for another.

Anyway, I spent a good bit of time trying to learn and understand how to transform the waist perfectly back in to alt mode, and for me, it works pefectly now. If you are facing prime, keep his chest facing you and turn his legs 90 degrees so that you are looking at the right side of his right leg. This is the point that you flick the waist back and start the rotation. As Kurdt says, at about the last 180 degrees, you have to hold the latch button in so it doesn't obstruct the remaining rotation. It works perfectly (no clicking) for me now AND I am lucky enough to have non-loose shoulders, so my opinion of this figure has grown.

liegeprime
6th July 2008, 07:53 PM
liegeprime: it also helps that you only paid the price of a Scout for your Deluxe BD Prime. :D

:D that too. And I bought the voyager size at Kmart Sale price, he now posesses the cool axe from BD prime:p which makes him even more cool looking than he aready is.

GoktimusPrime
6th July 2008, 08:34 PM
but the one ont he 2-pack are carefully drawn damage rather than the horrid gradient fade on the other figs.
I disagree. I agree with liegeprime in saying that Deluxe Earth Mode Prime's battle damage looks more like the black symbiote alien from Spiderman. :p Venomus Prime! The air-brushed battle damage isn't inherently a bad idea, it's just sometimes badly executed by Hasbro e.g.: it was done badly on 70s movie Bumblebee but done well on TRU MP Starscream. And that's the thing - I have nothing against applied battle damage on figures, I just object when it's done badly. (-_-)

Kyle
6th July 2008, 09:13 PM
They really should have better instructions for reversing the transformation of Voyager Prime's waist...

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 09:13 PM
Anybody else think he has a big of a pig nose? (Voyager Prime)

Kyle
6th July 2008, 09:20 PM
Chief Wiggum... :p

jaydisc
6th July 2008, 09:21 PM
Totally. Earth Mode Chief Wiggum.

STL
7th July 2008, 12:04 AM
The "vaunted" STL was first to open and transform my Voyager prime and he wasn't aware of the gimmick and just folded down the legs thinking it was ratcheting :eek: The figure never recovered. .

You'll get over it. ;)

Anyway, I spent a good bit of time trying to learn and understand how to transform the waist perfectly back in to alt mode, and for me, it works pefectly now. If you are facing prime, keep his chest facing you and turn his legs 90 degrees so that you are looking at the right side of his right leg. This is the point that you flick the waist back and start the rotation. As Kurdt says, at about the last 180 degrees, you have to hold the latch button in so it doesn't obstruct the remaining rotation. It works perfectly (no clicking) for me now AND I am lucky enough to have non-loose shoulders, so my opinion of this figure has grown.

Thanks to having screwed up Jaydisc's I took more care and figured it out too. It's not something you can easily figure out unless someone points you in that direction.

I still don't like the toy -that- much. The two Voyager Primes that I've been through have both had loose elbows. The black part keeps spinning quite loosely with axe in hand. Anyone else have that problem?

Jaydisc, can I test play with yours again? :D

Stompy
7th July 2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks jaydisc! Your instructions worked. Although I have a slight feeling that I may have done a little bit of damage to it already, but it works fine when I just did it then so I shouldn't worry too much. Can always pick up another now that Animated is everywhere. And STL I don't blame you from breaking jays one. Useless instructions at times.

I would have much preffered if they just had the waist ratcheted rather than a gimmick. I'm all for gimmicks but if they don't give you ample warning on the (lazy) instructions, the gimmick ends up being frustrating rather than a welcome addition. I just spent a good hour fixing up the gears inside my Movie Evac and Blackout. It's fine for now in alt mode. the head was popping out whenever I place the wings on the clip and the legs on the peg. I have a feeling it will all go bad again the moment I put it into bot mode though. :/

i_amtrunks
7th July 2008, 09:56 AM
At least if the waist gimmick breaks down you can still transform the figure manually, unlike the Automorph on the movie figures, which require you to take the figure apart to fix.

Having the Voyager figure in hand, I do think he is the best version of Animated Prime, and while he looks tiny in alt mode, his robot mode is nice and large, without ever feeling over large.

Voyagers weapons are absolutely terrible imo.

GoktimusPrime
7th July 2008, 11:04 AM
re: instructions - another area where I muchly prefer Takara. (-_-) I have no idea why Hasbro can't use bits of text to accompany their poorly drawn pics.

Pulse
7th July 2008, 11:29 AM
Didn't the Hasbro Commemorative Serie's instructions have bits of text as well?

I know the Commemorative line wasn't exactly mainstream, but hopefully Customer Feedback will provide Hasbro the incentive to include a few words next to finicky steps... :)

STL
7th July 2008, 11:37 AM
Curious, does anyone else have loose elbows? On the shoulders of Voyager Prime, I mean.

Kyle
7th July 2008, 12:25 PM
Curious, does anyone else have loose elbows? On the shoulders of Voyager Prime, I mean.

My Prime is loose, but not floppy lose. Can still hold poses with axe in hand. He's hugging Blackarachnia with one arm right now... :p

Robzy
7th July 2008, 12:28 PM
My Prime is loose, but not floppy lose. Can still hold poses with axe in hand. He's hugging Blackarachnia with one arm right now... :pAwwwwwww!!:p

My Prime's elbows seem to be okay!

Paulbot
10th July 2008, 12:39 PM
Voyager Prime looks fantastic in robot mode, but I prefer the transformations of the smaller versions, Voyager's upperbody is too simple. However I'm now stuck.

I want to turn Prime back to truck mode but everytime I go to swing the hips up it makes an awfully loud ratcheting noise so I stop for fear of breaking the mechanism (oh 74 Bumblebee your chest has made me paranoid!) Do I hold the release button down or not? Do I just ignore that sound and hope for the best? Do I get the receipt ready just in case?

jaydisc
10th July 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi Paul, try my instructions in post #38. You do have to hold the button on the final rotation and if you do here ratcheting, it's probably just to get it back to normal. Give it a shot and let me know.

Paulbot
10th July 2008, 09:22 PM
I got it back into place, but nervously. I stand by my vote for the Deluxe Earth Mode.

Kyle
10th July 2008, 09:26 PM
Deluxe Earth mode would be perfect if he has the removable face mask and is bigger... :p