PDA

View Full Version : US Amazon shipping some regular TFs toys overseas

griffin
10th July 2012, 02:55 AM
With the recent exclusives on Amazon being made available to non-Americans, I decided to look for other Transformers items that were exportable, if any. Because in the past, Amazon US (like Amazon JP) would restrict toy sales to domestic customers only... with a few exceptions it seems.
Now it looks like they are opening up their sales to foreigners, as there is a filter option on the left of the screen (when you go into "Toys & Games" and search for Transformers), which says "AmazonGlobal Eligible".
When you click on it, the small number of remaining items appear to be available for purchase (if you are logged in, it doesn't say they are not available to your location).

One thing to note - items are not just being sold by Amazon. Be aware of items being sold by people and businesses (Amazon acts as an agent to process sales on behalf of others, like Ebay). So it is best to look for items that specify that they are "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com". Even if you want to buy from a non-Amazon source, if you intend to save on shipping, purchase items from the one source.

Now I only just placed an order for 11 items yesterday, so it hasn't even shipped yet, which is why I'm not getting too excited just yet. If it does, without any problems, I'll post about it here. Because this would certainly be a new option for those of us looking for cheaper options than BBTS or RK.
And even if the toys were about the same price as other online stores or ebay, you can't beat Amazon's shipping prices. $11 for Unicron, and for the Gen2 FOC Bruticus, while the 10 TFPrime toys & Rescue Bots playset I ordered yesterday only cost me $25 shipping (most of their items have free shipping within America, so this isn't surprising). That amount of stuff from BBTS would be at least $60 shipping.

(on a related note - news within the toy industry is that Amazon is apparently looking to open up in Australia, after expanding into Europe recently... It won't mean cheaper toy prices here if they get their stock from the local distributors, but if they offer free domestic shipping like in America, it'd save having to hunt several stores looking for a specific figure)

Sky Shadow
10th July 2012, 05:45 AM
Amazon Australia would be great. If the shipping works, here are some sample links to toys shipped from Amazon US that I think Ozformers could find interesting:

Knockout (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-98736-TRANSFORMERS-Prime-Revealers/dp/B006CD33VW/ref=sr_1_85?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1341862627&sr=1-85&keywords=transformers), Roadbuster (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-MechTech-Alliance-Roadbuster-Sergeant/dp/B004FEHKPA/ref=sr_1_139?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1341862716&sr=1-139&keywords=transformers), Dead End (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-98739-TRANSFORMERS-Prime-Revealers/dp/B006CD3844/ref=sr_1_84?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1341862627&sr=1-84&keywords=transformers), Starscream (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-38693-TRANSFORMERS-Prime-Powerizers/dp/B006CD3BRI/ref=sr_1_147?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1341862716&sr=1-147&keywords=transformers) and Dark Steel (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Movie-Mechtech-Deluxe-Steel/dp/B005KT2JMS/ref=sr_1_61?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1341862587&sr=1-61&keywords=transformers). (For example.)

Zippo
10th July 2012, 03:45 PM
Its not a mistake, they do ship SELECTED toys direct.

Deonasis
10th July 2012, 06:04 PM
If Amazon Australia get up and running do you think they will have their own price and with the usual "Australia tax"? Just 1 easy change to stop Amazon international shipping to oz and we could be left with higher prices again.. as usual. Hopefully I am wrong :( I need to put down preorders on the US site soon before all the cool stuff sells out.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th July 2012, 07:03 PM
Wow, just checking through some others and there is a fair bit that they are happy to ship it would seem...

Oh my... This is good news indeedy!

griffin
12th July 2012, 01:15 PM
They finally shipped the order. They split it up into three boxes, but still only cost $25 for the three. As such, they broke up the shipping between the three boxes, making one box only "costing" $1.56 in postage (for a DLX toy from America to here). You certainly can't beat that, even here. That meant AU$16.40 for a new-release DLX toy (which isn't even here yet)... better than any sale price here. It's even LESS than what Hasbro AUS charges Retailers here!!!
How much of a scam is that, when it is possible to pay less (with shipping) than the Retailers here do.

Oddly enough, they charged my credit card in those three "parcel" amounts, instead of all at once when I placed the order.

They don't appear to have charged me on the preorder exclusives yet, so maybe that happens closer to the release date... or whenever they feel like it.

But great news on the regular stuff though.
Amazon will be my first source from now on, and whatever they don't export, I can then get from other places, or locally as a last resort.
(just don't let Hasbro AUS know, as they won't like us importing if it costs a lot less than retail prices here.)

Tetsuwan Convoy
12th July 2012, 10:56 PM
this is really interesting. I just ordered some of the new Ninja Turtles toys, which BBTS had marked for US markets only... 5 toys and the total cost for postage was $10!!! With 8-10 days delivery estimate! What the hell, so total cost would be 70 bucks for 5 ninja turtles toys, that would probably go for 18-20 each over here. Once they get here that is...

AMAZING!

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th July 2012, 07:23 PM
And my Ninja Turtles are shipped too!

Zing! this is great!

reillyd
17th July 2012, 06:36 PM
Here's a link for G2 Bruticus pre-order (http://www.davidreilly.com/goto.php?isbn=B007MCNI30), which went offline earlier in the week. I'm very tempted to pick one up at that price, because it will be cheaper than Kmart/Big W retail for the regular version

5FDP
18th July 2012, 08:10 AM
Here's a link for G2 Bruticus pre-order (http://www.davidreilly.com/goto.php?isbn=B007MCNI30), which went offline earlier in the week. I'm very tempted to pick one up at that price, because it will be cheaper than Kmart/Big W retail for the regular version

I'm tempted to preorder it as well for the very same reasons. Also, it's like $100 - $150 cheaper than the SDCC version (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=sdcc+bruticus&_sacat=0) making it better value for money.

griffin
20th July 2012, 04:56 PM
Amazon is now my new best friend.

The three boxes were shipped on the 12th.
One arrived on the 17th!
The other two arrived on the 18th.

Five day shipping from Kentucky, America... for less than what it would cost to post just one of the boxes within Australia.
Actually, it took just three business days, which is how long it can take to post stuff from Brisbane to Perth.

I don't know if this is the norm for Amazon shipping, but even if it takes 2 or 3 times as long, I still wouldn't be complaining at these prices.
It would still take longer and cost more driving around the stores to find all these.

There's no way Hasbro Australia would want this to continue if they ever found out about it.

EDIT - I just opened up the 3 boxes... if you are a Mint Packaging collector, this is not the option for you. The two bigger boxes had a small token effort of packing material in them, which ended up with a lot of bent backing cards. Since the outer shipping boxes are strong and protect the contents well, the toys are fine (for me). The backing cards can be flattened out, so I'm happy with what I got, for what I paid.

griffin
20th July 2012, 09:13 PM
Photo proof...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/1207c.jpg

All that for just $25 shipping, and just 3-4 business days.

Jump on this option, while it exists.

These were the prices I paid:
Cmdrs - $11.14 to $14.99
Deluxes - $14.61 to $17.71
Voyagers - $27.43 to $27.99
Optimus Maximus - $34.99
Rescue Bots playset - $32.99

Even with one Cmdr figure costing the same as it would here, the overall savings and shipping (equating to about $2 per toy), made it worth it.

kurdt_the_goat
21st July 2012, 02:15 AM
With that big order did they give you shipping options or was it only letting you go express?

griffin
21st July 2012, 05:59 PM
I think there was just the one shipping option. Considering how fast it arrived, a more expensive option wouldn't be necessary... and there's hardly a need for a cheaper option at that price.

kurdt_the_goat
21st July 2012, 08:17 PM
Oh i mean, i wonder if it was the size of your order that limited your shipping options to just express. I ordered 4 Classic TMNT and had the option of $15 for regular (2-3 weeks) or $45 express (4-5 days). Though using those costs, it seems your $25 shipping may have been regular, and just managed to make it through very quickly for some reason?

griffin
21st July 2012, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I can't recall. You could be right, in that it might have been no choice, due to the size of the order.

griffin
22nd July 2012, 08:09 PM
Just had another look tonight, and they've added a few new items (like Series 2 Kre-O), and discounted a number of TFPrime toys that aren't even here yet (like Dead End, Hotshot, grey Bbee) as well as others that are still hard to find (Voyager Starscream & Bulkhead, Nightwatch Optimus).
Just make sure that your items are from "Amazon Export sales", but if you are signed in, your location should prevent you from "carting" items that are restricted.

I just ordered the Kre-O Devastator set, Stealth Bbee set and two Marvel TFs, and it didn't give me a choice with shipping - "AmazonGlobal Expedited Shipping (averages 8-16 business days)"
Shipping amount for those four items was quoted as AU$33.48. A little more than my last lot, but these 4 are some big items... so would still be half what BBTS or going through the shipping agent would cost.

Sorry about the constant raving... but I just can't get over how great this is, since I buy so many TFs, and can't afford to pay Australian prices all the time.

Hursticon
22nd July 2012, 10:39 PM
Sorry about the constant raving... but I just can't get over how great this is, since I buy so many TFs, and can't afford to pay Australian prices all the time.

What sucks for me the most is I'm still awaiting the arrival of my Visa Debit card so I can also join in on the fun! :p:D

Robzy
24th July 2012, 11:05 PM
Just bought the 4 TMNT Classics. Let's see how this goes. :)

griffin
3rd August 2012, 01:11 PM
After speaking to the ACCC, IP Australia and Customs, I've found out that Toys & Games are definitely not part of what's allowed for parallel-importing, which means the foreign-owned toy companies hold a monopoly on distribution in this country.
Until that changes, this info shouldn't be brought to the attention of toy companies here, as they would put a stop to it if they find out about it. (because it would mean selling less over-priced stock to retailers here, if less Australians buy from domestic stores)
I'm sure they will find out about it (if not already), and will force Amazon to stop, so take advantage of it while it lasts.

5FDP
3rd August 2012, 02:08 PM
If it is stopped, I hope they are still allowed to honor pre-orders for G2 Bruticus which isn't out until November.

Tetsuwan Convoy
3rd August 2012, 08:45 PM
After speaking to the ACCC, IP Australia and Customs, I've found out that Toys & Games are definitely not part of what's allowed for parallel-importing, which means the foreign-owned toy companies hold a monopoly on distribution in this country.
Until that changes, this loophole by Amazon will be kept secret, as those toy companies will put a stop to it if they find out about it. (because it would mean selling less over-priced stock to retailers here, if less Australians buy from domestic stores)
I'm sure they will find out about it (if not already), and will force Amazon to stop, so take advantage of it while it lasts.

HOLY! So the ACCC know about the ability of companies to reduce competition and it's fine? Nice one Australia!

griffin
4th August 2012, 12:23 AM
They said that they don't have the laws (powers) to stop it.
It'd take lobbying federal politicians to change it... and well... Labor aren't in the position to pick a fight with big business (the importers who hold these monopolies), and the coalition are pro-big business, so won't be biting the hands that feed them.

Hursticon
5th August 2012, 12:25 AM
If it is stopped, I hope they are still allowed to honor pre-orders for G2 Bruticus which isn't out until November.

A very concerning point! :eek::(

It'd take lobbying federal politicians to change it... and well... Labor aren't in the position to pick a fight with big business (the importers who hold these monopolies), and the coalition are pro-big business, so won't be biting the hands that feed them.

...And a case of "Business as usual". :(

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th August 2012, 12:45 PM

A fine case of democracy at work!:D

Zippo
5th August 2012, 07:54 PM
I really don't think anyone has anything to worry about
Amazon have been shipping selected toys internationally for a few years now ..

griffin
12th August 2012, 08:25 PM
Looks like Amazon may be on borrowed time, with BBTS being forced by Lego (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=14188) to not export their products (to countries that they make a much bigger profit-margin in).
I wonder if this is a trend for each of the foreign-owned companies, to close up the bigger loopholes that let us buy products for half what they are sold here.

Another reason to keep Amazon's exporting of toys quiet I think. Even if Lego/Hasbro/Mattel know about it, as long as it isn't being publicly promoted, they won't make it a priority to prevent it... yet.

kurdt_the_goat
12th August 2012, 11:08 PM
I remember when Sony pulled a lawsuit on Lik-sang (causing them to shut down completely, eventually) for selling import games to the UK. They also for a period stopped Play-Asia from doing the same, but that has disappeared in recent times. I think each case is pretty isolated tbh, with not much risk of anyone in Australia being clued in enough to realise anything. Global market is taking over and they'd be better served putting their effort into making their online stores global and fairly priced than shutting down consumer choice, but again i doubt anyone in these companies is smart enough to realise that either!

5FDP
13th August 2012, 08:59 AM
I hope this doesn't happen with Ozgameshop... I buy all my PS3 games from there because I refuse to pay double the price here.

Autocon
13th August 2012, 11:39 PM
There must be some loophole we can take advantage of??? I dont like this one bit!!:mad::mad: Seeing an album for $20 in Aus and yet $10 for Americans.

Tetsuwan Convoy
14th August 2012, 08:07 PM
There must be some loophole we can take advantage of??? I dont like this one bit!!:mad::mad: Seeing an album for $20 in Aus and yet $10 for Americans.

Have you tried getting it sent here? They send over DVDs easily enough, I don't think I have ever ordered a CD from Amazon US before. Although Amazon Japan sends over CDs with no issues, so you should be able to get it.

jazzcomp
14th August 2012, 09:01 PM
There's something basically wrong w/ pricing here.

Paulbot
14th August 2012, 09:05 PM
I keep getting teased by FOC Shockwave on Amazon for $15... but it won't ship here. It seems a bit hit and miss.

griffin
14th August 2012, 11:31 PM
That is weird, having some new items exportable but not others... but at least we get access to some items, to offset the items we have to end up paying more for.

Autocon
16th August 2012, 01:47 AM
Have you tried getting it sent here? They send over DVDs easily enough, I don't think I have ever ordered a CD from Amazon US before. Although Amazon Japan sends over CDs with no issues, so you should be able to get it.

There's something basically wrong w/ pricing here.

Oops I meant itunes. Heat of a rant

griffin
19th August 2012, 01:40 PM
A tip - don't buy comics or TPBs from Amazon, especially if it is with other items. I bought a couple Kre-O sets, the latest three TFs TPBs (RID, MTMTE, Autocracy) and some GIJoe TPBs, and they were all just thrown in together in a big box with a bit of crumpled paper at the top. During transit the books were just sliding around loose inside the big box, causing two to be folded open, and one to be having the spine push a hole through the cover of another.
Best to stick with the UK book depository with books, and leave the toys for Amazon. (unless there is no choice... in which case, order the books separately, and they may get packed more securely)

Zippo
19th August 2012, 04:09 PM
A tip - don't buy comics or TPBs from Amazon, especially if it is with other items. I bought a couple Kre-O sets, the latest three TFs TPBs (RID, MTMTE, Autocracy) and some GIJoe TPBs, and they were all just thrown in together in a big box with a bit of crumpled paper at the top. During transit the books were just sliding around loose inside the big box, causing two to be folded open, and one to be having the spine push a hole through the cover of another.
Best to stick with the UK book depository with books, and leave the toys for Amazon. (unless there is no choice... in which case, order the books separately, and they may get packed more securely)

Though they (Amazon) would be pretty good at replacing or giving credit due to damage aren't they?

5FDP
20th August 2012, 08:38 AM
The Book Depository is not all that flash with the packing either. I've ordered several TF related books from them and most have been damaged due to inadequate packaging. Granted, they were very apologetic and exchanged the items without fuss - some of which turned up damaged as well. You win some, you loose some.

Paulbot
20th August 2012, 09:14 AM
I've had the experience of multiple books swimming around in one box from Amazon and been unimpressed.

But I've never been unhappy with a BookDepository purchase. I've bought a lot from them, 95 books so far at a quick count. Everything always comes in it's own envelope. Usually a solid brown envelope. There's been the occasional slight crease or so to a corner but nothing so bad I've felt the need to return to sender. I'm paying 25% off minimum of RRP and getting free postage, I'm not going to be too upset if something isn't in absolute mint condition. If anything there's more damage done at the Post Office bending some of the smaller books to fit in the PO Box and the seller can't be blamed for that.

5FDP
20th August 2012, 09:47 AM
Maybe they've (Book Depository) changed their packaging lately due to multiple complaints because they didn't use solid brown envelopes when I ordered from them :confused: My last purchase (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=261033&postcount=16) from them was about a year ago.

gamblor916
20th August 2012, 10:35 AM
Are you guys buying trades or hardcovers? I was thinking about a couple of purchases (hardcovers) but I like my stuff mint. I don't like the sound of stuff being sent in a padded envelope.

5FDP
20th August 2012, 10:53 AM
The last hardcover I bought was Transformers Vault and this came in a padded envelope. Because of this, one corner was damaged. I ended up buying a second copy from Target to keep as my 'good' copy. Having said that, it was over a year ago and as Paul has alluded, their packaging materials seem to have been improved. Like you though, I like my books mint and I'm not willing to test this by ordering from them again.

griffin
20th August 2012, 11:31 AM
Are you buying from the UK bookdepository or the US one?
I've been buying comic Trades from the UK one for a few years, and every time they are packed tightly in either thick cardboard A4-ish envelope (most often) or a padded bag (rarely).

I've always been impressed at how those cheap purchases end up arriving in mint condition, preventing me from ever having to shop locally.
Amazon on the other hand - should have at least wrapped up the comics in a little bit of plastic (like a sandwich), just so that they at least slide around as one big brick... preventing them from sliding into each other.

Paulbot
20th August 2012, 11:35 AM
Most of my orders for comic TPBs and larger come in brown solid envelopes, but I get some smaller paperbacks in padded envelopes. They still arrive fine to my satisfaction.

Are you guys buying trades or hardcovers? I was thinking about a couple of purchases (hardcovers) but I like my stuff mint. I don't like the sound of stuff being sent in a padded envelope.

I'd recommend buying in a store if it's a big concern.

Any sort of postage/shipping has the risk of hardcover corners being slightly bent. Bookdepository.com has sent me hardcovers with some slight rounding on the corner.. Amazon.com has me hardcovers where the dust jacket was torn. I know what I prefer out of those two.

gamblor916
20th August 2012, 12:04 PM
I'll risk the UK Bookdepository. The savings make it worthwhile, eg $75 vs $115 AUD.

5FDP
20th August 2012, 12:43 PM
Are you buying from the UK bookdepository or the US one?

Good question... I don't actually remember. I do remember asking them for one of the exchanges to place some rigid cardboard inside the envelope to reinforce the package and write 'do not bend' on the outside however they failed to do either which resulted in my exchange item being damaged in transit as well.

Now, I'm fully aware that damage by the postal service is not their fault, but if the packaging is just a paper-thin A3 size envelope, they may as well send it without any packaging. In the case of Transformers Vault I ended up buying a second copy cancelling out any savings to be had.

I seem to be in the minority with this experience though so if you do decide to buy online with Book Depository gamblor, I hope you have better luck than me :)

griffin
2nd November 2012, 04:16 AM
Moved this into the public arena, as ToysRUs America have now publicised that they are shipping internationally (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=14757)... so maybe Hasbro, Mattel and Lego are allowing it now.

griffin
27th January 2013, 01:50 AM
I just placed an order (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=337405#post337405) for the four new Rescue Bots (they are about Voyager size), and 3 Thundertrons (to resell)... shipping came to a total of $14!
That's $2 per Voyager toy! (makes the Thundertrons cost $24 each - cheaper than a Deluxe toy here)

The key is to buy a few extra items if you only want one, so that shipping is cheaper (keep adjusting your cart with items to get the best rate, and sell off the extras at an Australian retail price, or less if it was something released here).

I just can't get over that postage amount, from America to Australia for 7 Voyager sized toys.
$2 for a Voyager toy.... a business size envelope is all you could get posted within Australia for $2.

Bidoofdude
28th January 2013, 11:19 PM
I just placed an order (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=337405#post337405) for the four new Rescue Bots (they are about Voyager size), and 3 Thundertrons (to resell)... shipping came to a total of $14!
That's $2 per Voyager toy! (makes the Thundertrons cost $24 each - cheaper than a Deluxe toy here)

The key is to buy a few extra items if you only want one, so that shipping is cheaper (keep adjusting your cart with items to get the best rate, and sell off the extras at an Australian retail price, or less if it was something released here).

I just can't get over that postage amount, from America to Australia for 7 Voyager sized toys.
$2 for a Voyager toy.... a business size envelope is all you could get posted within Australia for $2.
I was checking around TRU.com (us) and I went to the Battle of Hoth lego set and it says it ships internationally, so I don't know what to think now.
This might be an error but I'm not sure.

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st January 2013, 06:00 PM
I just put a single Thundertron and checked the postage amount. Total came to $28

OH MY GOD.

So I added another, just in case a fellow WAlian wants one. Wow man, just wow.

Oberon Sexton
7th June 2014, 11:04 PM
Finding this thread is quite possibly the most dangerous thing I've done for my wallet. For the longest time I've been under the impression that I'll never be able to buy toys off of Amazon (US)... CAN YOU NOT SEE THE CHAOS YOU HAVE WROUGHT :(