PDA

View Full Version : SDCC - 2012 - TF News

Sharky
13th July 2012, 09:51 AM
With the event well and truley underway here is some good stuff to come out so far from:

Hasbro

Rescue Bots
- Bots and robbers Police HQ
- Rescue Bots Energize (US Spring 2013) Clear translucent plastic weapons
- Figure 2 Packs

Kre-o
- Preview Wave of Microchanges this Fall (US)

Transformers Prime
- RID Voyage Wave 4 Thundertron and Ultra Magnus
- RID Voyage Wave 5 Sqyquake
- Cyberverse Legion Wave 4 Fallback (Brakedown RP) Tailgate (cliff RP) and Knockout
- Cyberverse Commander Wave 4 Bulkhead (Black RP) and Skyquake
- Dark Energon BBTS Exclusives (translucent figures of Deluxe Bumblebee Knockout, Startscream, Wheeljack Voyager Prime and Megs new faction logos)
- First Edition back on US shelves in November

Botshots
- Wave 5 Skywarp, Roadbuster Megatron Bumblebee Chase Shockwave
- Starscream Launcher (Wave 3)
- Jumpshots spinshots blitzshots flipshots

Masterpiece Thundercracker
- Uses the MP-11 Coronation Starscream body
- Includes the original Masterpiece Starscream's stand.

G2 Bruticus
- Amazon and BBTS
- Retro G2 style packaging for G2 bruticus

China Imports
- Showed the Generation Figures Legion deluxe voyager (wheelie swerve etc)
- Bringing to US at toys r us

Generations FOC
- FOC Wreckers - Impactor, Twin twist, Topspin, Roadbuster and Whirl merge to form RUINATION (Combaticons Repaints)
- FOC Blaster with Ramhorn eject rewind Steeljaw and Sunder?
- FOC Voyager Grimlock

Linkin Park Edition Soundwave
- The Band Deco'd the mould
- Gold coloured Chrome
- 4 Tapes

hasbrotoyshop.com SDCC Exclusives
- HasbtoToyShop.com will feature a SDCC promo code: COMIC2012 - 10% Off Code expires 07/31/12 @ 11:59 ET
- Bruticus - Price = $108 limit of 2
- Rust in Peace Cliffjumper - Price = $27 Limit of 4
- G I Joe Hiss Tank - Price = $70 limit of 1

IDW
- August is Dinobot Month
- MTMTE + RID Annuals involes Primus
- FOC Digital Comic (Prequel to the game) Starts August
- Transformers Prime - Rage of the Dinobots 4 issue series

more to come i am sure

kup
13th July 2012, 10:06 AM
They also have an FOC Grimlock - voyager!. The design isn't great but it's good to hear that they are listening to fans and are releasing an appropriately sized Grimlock!

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sdcc-2012-coverage-hasbro-panel-gallery/25320/

More like this please and you may win me back again ;)

King Atlas
13th July 2012, 10:55 AM
The 65% "unrevealed" doesn't really give me high hopes. How many of these are going to be repaints and then repaints of remoulds?

It is awesome they are doing the Wreckers, but at the same time I am not impressed with how forced they feel. Credit for obscure characters though with new heads. Detract from that with ugly colors that most of the characters never had (specifically the shared orange that would go with the union) and re-used weapons(?)

Looks like Impactor is using the same missile from Seaspray and Topspin is using one of the Ratchet's buzzsaw weapons. I'm probably way off though since I own none of those figures.

Ruination is just an optional bonus really, so I have no complaints.

FOC Blaster is surprisingly cool. Really didn't want to buy Soundwave again, so this a fantastic alternative to own the mold. They gave the mold a new head, chest and the g1 weapon. Hasbro really learned from that lazy mess that is Universe Blaster.

His minions look awesome too!
(Hope Ravage and Steeljaw are not the same mold...)

Probably my favorite item is the g2 Combaticon box. So freaking awesome!

Tober
13th July 2012, 12:35 PM
- Gold coloured Chrome
- 4 Tapes

That looks [expletive deleted] hideous!!

I must have at least two!

fatbot
13th July 2012, 12:42 PM
G2 Bruticus
- Amazon and BBTS
- Retro G2 style packaging for G2 bruticus

China Imports
- Showed the Generation Figures Legion deluxe voyager (wheelie swerve etc)
- Bringing to US at toys r us

Generations FOC
- FOC Wreckers - Impactor, Twin twist, Topspin, Roadbuster and Whirl merge to form RUINATION (Combaticons Repaints)
- FOC Blaster with Ramhorn eject rewind Steeljaw and Sunder?
- FOC Voyager Grimlock

- Gold coloured Chrome
- 4 Tapes

more to come i am sure

The G2 Bruticus looks like a great packet! I'm glad I nabbed one on Amazon!

I'm glad Toys r us are getting the "china Imports", hopefully, we'll get them as well.

FOC Wreckers? Maybe, depends on the Paint, I'm not sure if I want to own a 3rd version of the mold.

Blaster looks great, A MUST BUY!

Linkin Park Soundwave, maybe, doubtful, but maybe.

Sharky
13th July 2012, 12:47 PM
The G2 Bruticus looks like a great packet! I'm glad I nabbed one on Amazon!

I'm glad Toys r us are getting the "china Imports", hopefully, we'll get them as well.

FOC Wreckers? Maybe, depends on the Paint, I'm not sure if I want to own a 3rd version of the mold.

Technically the Wreckers could be the 4th version of the mould

1 - SDCC
2 - Standard Release
3 - G2
4 - Wreckers

20 something figures.....and if your like me thinking of an extra set to display in robot mode and bruticus mode.........thats alot.

i really like the Blaster.. and the data disks look good aswell and lets hope toys r us here get the china imports and the thundercracker

liegeprime
13th July 2012, 01:41 PM
More than 25 years on and STILL they get the toy pics wrong :rolleyes: Who are these people who take the toy pics? Have they been hiding in a rock that the don't know. Just looking at that Linkin Park Soundwave tape minions with the wrong /switched weaponry is kinda irritating, but, enough of that!

Interesting repaints of the Bruticus Mold... So Ruination is an Autobot now? Hmmm :rolleyes: Couldn't they come up with a different name, it just doesnt feel right. Especuially when you knowthat the name has been associated with the Decepticon faction for years.

Hopefully TRU local will have me as well.

Senor_2
13th July 2012, 01:55 PM
illest Clothing have also announced they are collaborating with Hasbro on a line of TF shirts and merchandise
Press release and pics here (http://fatlace.com/main/illest-x-transformers-press-release/)

kup
13th July 2012, 02:40 PM
I thought the Ruination 'Swindle' was Springer and was shocked when I read the label and turned out to be Roadbuster. The other 'Wrecker' repaints are equally as lame and unrecognizable as the intended characters.

I hope there are better stuff revealed later on but so far, Grimlock is the only interesting thing for me, the rest are rather lame with the exception of MP Thundercracker for those that do not have him yet.

Decepticon
13th July 2012, 03:15 PM
Nothing tickles my sausage tbh. Too many repaints.

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th July 2012, 07:29 PM
Erm, so are the wreckers Decepticons now, or is Ruination an Autobot?

New faction symbols for the Dark Energon toys? Crazy!

Yay for Voyager Grimlock. - Looks like he has electronics in his dino noggin for flaming. Big torso that has no waist movement as well.

Please, please, please more dinos!

Bartrim
13th July 2012, 07:50 PM
Interesting stuff there. Can't wait for better pictures.

Quickstrike
13th July 2012, 08:23 PM
Those Dark Energon toys look so good. Slicer!!!

The Wreckers look alright, but they seem to really like orange. I've already pre-ordered G2 Bruticus but I'll totally get Impactor and Whirl as well.

Ode to a Grasshopper
13th July 2012, 08:43 PM
Want Not-Slicer, Powerdrive, and G2 Bruticus.
There are some sweet offerings there: nice job @ HasTak.

Raptormesh
13th July 2012, 10:32 PM
Hurrah for Grimmy, let's hope they release the rest of the dinos!

Sky Shadow
14th July 2012, 12:22 AM
- First Edition back on US shelves in November

Like I said (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=283687&postcount=13). Hopefully I'll never have to read another person whinging about the lack of First Edition toys in the US ever again.

Hursticon
14th July 2012, 12:55 AM
FoC Grimlock looks rather good, but I am in undying love with FoC Voyager Soundwave & his Data-Disk Minions; I happened to notice on their packaging slides from the Hasbro Panel that the Minions are depicted in very G1 Boxart-esque poses, along with a rather G1-invoking Tech Spec! :eek::D:cool:

The Blaster Retool/Repaint is also quite good TBH, the Head & Chest remolding coupled with a very G1-looking Rifle really help to sell the figure ;):); The Wreckers look acceptable individually, but I'm afraid the 'Ruination' combined mode is rather "Meh..." IMO. :o

It was great to see some up-close photos of the "Not-So" Asian Exclusive Generations figures, of whom many are rather boring :o; Powerdive & Hotspot however look utterly fantastic, so I too really hope that TRU AU is able to pickup this line even if they just aim for the Voyagers. ;):cool:

The "Dark Energon" figures seem to be Hasbro's 'Shattered Glass' to me, Megatron looks quite intriguing but again as most are repaints the word "Meh" springs to mind again. :p

Also clearly on show is Hasbro's Rep's apparent complete lack of experience with their own product, immediately giving the impression that these are "Kids Toys"; I feel that if the Reps from Neca or even Mattel were given 5 seconds with these Transformers, that they'd have them properly transformed and dynamically posed to the point where they might actually garner some Mature attention from various non-TF focused Media. :rolleyes:

Quickstrike
14th July 2012, 04:28 PM
The Wreckers look alright, but they seem to really like orange.

Thinkin' about it a bit and I guess the orange is a homage to... well, Ruination. The Commandos all had Orange on them as well. That's a weird dual homage!

Oh and I didn't know Hot Spot had a new head on him as well. NOW they should redeco him as Pyro.

SuspectimusPrime
14th July 2012, 08:53 PM
Technically the Wreckers could be the 4th version of the mould

1 - SDCC
2 - Standard Release
3 - G2
4 - Wreckers

20 something figures.....and if your like me thinking of an extra set to display in robot mode and bruticus mode.........thats alot.

The standard release has not even hit the shelves, and yet they've managed to dish out three repaints to bring our wallets to ruination. Pre-ordered G2 and looks like I'll be going for the Wreckers as well - head sculpts look good. Looking forward to an updated photo of that limb configuration, preferably by a photographer who's reading the instructions properly. Roadbuster needs more orange IMO :o

I honestly dare them to whip out Battle Gaia and Nexus Prime (Maximus) as well!

SuspectimusPrime
14th July 2012, 09:16 PM
The Blaster Retool/Repaint is also quite good TBH, the Head & Chest remolding coupled with a very G1-looking Rifle really help to sell the figure ;):);

Really dig this retool. Love the Marvel comic inspired head! Can't help feeling that his blaster looks like its only half the size it should be. Also really awesome that he's being released as a Voyager, which means he and Voyager Grimlock can duke it out on the moon!

The "Dark Energon" figures seem to be Hasbro's 'Shattered Glass' to me, Megatron looks quite intriguing but again as most are repaints the word "Meh" springs to mind again. :p

... Dark Energon Starscream looks uncomfortably feminine... :(

Paul Agnew
14th July 2012, 09:34 PM
...Is that Emirate Xaaron's head they're using for Ruination?

:eek:

1AZRAEL1
14th July 2012, 10:54 PM
I like the looks of a few of those. But I will probably only pick up most of them if they come locally. Otherwise I really like Blaster and Grimlock.

Sky Shadow
14th July 2012, 11:36 PM
...Is that Emirate Xaaron's head they're using for Ruination?

Primus, it is - that's hilarious!

I'm definitely getting at least four fifths of the Wrecker Ruination - Whirl, Twin Twist, Topspin and Impactor are brilliant. Along with Blaster's 'cassettes' they're by far the high point of Hasbro's 'reveals'.

Bartrim
15th July 2012, 09:13 AM
Primus, it is - that's hilarious!

I'm definitely getting at least four fifths of the Wrecker Ruination - Whirl, Twin Twist, Topspin and Impactor are brilliant. Along with Blaster's 'cassettes' they're by far the high point of Hasbro's 'reveals'.

Won't that mak it hard to form Ruination? :p

Even though I think they are a needless repaint I still think they look cool and will probably get all 5 Wreckers.

kup
15th July 2012, 09:21 AM
I like the looks of a few of those. But I will probably only pick up most of them if they come locally. Otherwise I really like Blaster and Grimlock.

Blaster and Grimlock are the only ones worth getting IMO.

nofacej
15th July 2012, 01:38 PM
I like FoC Grimlock and the FE Cliffjumper remould.

griffin
15th July 2012, 03:39 PM
IDW revealed the title of their previously-announced sequel to Autocracy.... Monstrocity (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sdcc-2012-coverage-idw-announces-transformers-monstrosity/25355/).

It will be available initially via digital download. The series will make its debut in January 2013. The same creative team will be involved with Monstrosity with Chris Metzen and Flint Dille handling the story and Livio Ramondelli continuing with his beautiful and unique art style.
The premise of the story, according to writer Flint Dille, is ... "Now that they have freedom, what do they do with it?"

Looks like it's official (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sdcc-2012-coverage-no-plans-for-transformers-prime-voyager-breakdown-or-unicron/25348/)... after all the speculation with the obvious absence, Voyager Breakdown from TFPrime, is NOT going to be released by Hasbro in the foreseeable future.
Actually, the source is unknown, as it is just being reported on Seibertron, without saying where or whom they got the info from.
If true though, it is a strange move from Hasbro, and I'm surprised the question hasn't been asked, "why"?
The character is pretty significant... with more screen time than Wheeljack, Cliffjumper, Skyquake and Dreadwing so far. Not to mention a number of characters and redecoes that haven't even been in the show.
It was also noted that the Gaia Unicron that we've seen glimpses of at JP toy shows in recent months, is also not planned for release by Hasbro.
I think they will see a release eventually, even if it is as a store exclusive somewhere, but just in case, if you want either of these figures, the JP versions are your safest bet. Best to find a Breakdown before the prices really start to climb on this news.

From Activision (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sdcc-2012-coverage-transformers-fall-of-cybertron-clip-roundup-dinobots-and-insecticons-available-in-multiplayer/25356/), there are a few more clips from the Fall of Cybertron game, including one that announces that Dinobots and Insecticons will be available later (as DLC) in the Multiplayer environments.

From Mimoco (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/san-diego-comic-con-33/sdcc-2012-mimoco-transformers-and-gi-joe-mimobots-175493/), a second series of Transformers Mimobots (USB sticks) have been revealed. The first series was Optimus and Megatron (both Gen1), while the second series will feature Bumblebee and Starscream (also Gen1).
Each will have up to 64Gb of memory!! (the ones in the photos only have 8, but maybe come in a variety of capacities) as well as installed bonus content like comics, videos, wallpapers, etc.

From Super7 (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/san-diego-comic-con-33/sdcc-2012-super-7-super-shogun-transformers-products-announced-175492/), who produce various licensed items, have bought a license to produce a number of retro (Gen1) Transformers merchandise. (a bit of a theme there, with all the Gen1 stuff instead of Movie or Prime stuff)
Proposed items include drink glasses, t-shirts, vinyl figurines (like JP ones), art prints, and 2-foot (non-convertable?) figures/toys starting with Optimus and Soundwave. (that'd be about 60cm tall)
Items are expected some time in 2013. (make the most of the "retro" stuff though, as Hasbro will be wanting just about everything to be Movie-themed in 2014)

And one of the scheduled presentations at SDCC this year - Larry King interviewing Peter Cullen (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/san-diego-comic-con-33/larry-king-and-peter-cullen-175482/) (among other people).
For those who don't know, Larry King is/was a fairly well known talk-show host in America, so was probably paid good money to have him interview certain guests at SDCC this year, as a guest himself.

Lord_Zed
15th July 2012, 07:27 PM
Looks like Blaster and Grimlock are the standouts of the new toys, though as voyagers they'll be a chunk o cash.

Runination, I dunno.. Kinda could have been a good idea, but why do Hasbro always insist on using new crazy colours? I also wonder what the non photoshopped pics will look like.

Some of those Prime Dark energon Prime recolours are kinda clever, not that I collect Prime, but still credit where credit is due.

SuspectimusPrime
15th July 2012, 07:40 PM
Runination, I dunno.. Kinda could have been a good idea, but why do Hasbro always insist on using new crazy colours? I also wonder what the non photoshopped pics will look like.

If the sales of the new crazy colours perform well then it opens up another option for them... ANOTHER REPAINT - CLASSICS EDITION :eek:;)

Ode to a Grasshopper
15th July 2012, 08:01 PM
Looks like it's official (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/sdcc-2012-coverage-no-plans-for-transformers-prime-voyager-breakdown-or-unicron/25348/)... after all the speculation with the obvious absence, Voyager Breakdown from TFPrime, is NOT going to be released by Hasbro in the foreseeable future.
Actually, the source is unknown, as it is just being reported on Seibertron, without saying where or whom they got the info from.
If true though, it is a strange move from Hasbro, and I'm surprised the question hasn't been asked, "why"?
The character is pretty significant... with more screen time than Wheeljack, Cliffjumper, Skyquake and Dreadwing so far. Not to mention a number of characters and redecoes that haven't even been in the show.I might be wrong, but I'd hazard a guess that what they mean is 'No 2-eyes Breakdown' as has been released in Japan - they'll probably still do the Silas/eyepatch/whatever version at some point.
That's just a guess mind you.

kup
15th July 2012, 09:33 PM
Looks like Blaster and Grimlock are the standouts of the new toys, though as voyagers they'll be a chunk o cash.

Some of those Prime Dark energon Prime recolours are kinda clever, not that I collect Prime, but still credit where credit is due.

Yeah, Blaster and Grimlock are the only ones that I see myself buying.

1AZRAEL1
15th July 2012, 09:43 PM
Yeah, Blaster and Grimlock are the only ones that I see myself buying.

They looks the best of the lot. Still, I may get Ruination if I see them locally.

Sky Shadow
20th July 2012, 02:53 AM
Won't that mak it hard to form Ruination? :p

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9314/4618264780c2bcf2aa7ao.jpg

:cool:

Hursticon
21st July 2012, 10:02 PM
So... more Soundwaves for me then I guess? :confused: - Great, should make his acquisition a little easier. :D

@SkyShadow: I sort of feel like that joke is now sullied due to the existence of "Ruination", I don't know why but I feel like it's lost its shine now. :(

Bartrim
21st July 2012, 10:25 PM
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9314/4618264780c2bcf2aa7ao.jpg

:cool:

Now I wish we were getting Rotorstorm instead of Whirl:( He was cool.

Sky Shadow
2nd August 2012, 01:41 AM
Some new art by Josh Burcham (colourist on Last Stand Of The Wreckers/MTMTE):

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9673/fallofcybertronwreckers.jpg

Tober
2nd August 2012, 02:12 AM
I think I can ID Whirl and Roadbuster...

Is that a fembot hiney on the wall..? :confused:

Sky Shadow
2nd August 2012, 02:19 AM
I think I can ID Whirl and Roadbuster...

It's the Fall of Cybertron Wreckers - the others are Topspin, Impactor and Twin Twist. One can watch Josh ink and colour it here: http://www.livestream.com/dcjosh

Is that a fembot hiney on the wall..? :confused:

Yeah, it's based on this image by Makoto Ono: http://images.wikia.com/transformers2005/images/c/c7/Combaticons.jpg

Tober
2nd August 2012, 02:39 AM
Heh, cute. :)

Nice to see the Dorvack brothers still kicking.

Sky Shadow
2nd August 2012, 02:59 AM
Heh, cute. :)

Speaking of cute and "fembot hiney"s, my sister sent me the following quote from my three year-old nephew while watching Transformers:

"Arcee's got a cute bum, doesn't she?"

I replied that I was impressed by his feminist deconstruction of the fact that while male Transformers like Bulkhead can let it all hang out, the femmebots like Arcee and Airachnid are trapped in a masculine society in which they must conform to the traditional male objectivist fantasy of a 'cute bum'. :P

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2125/arceex.jpg

Tober
2nd August 2012, 03:15 AM
Speaking of cute and "fembot hiney"s, my sister sent me the following quote from my three year-old nephew while watching Transformers:

"Arcee's got a cute bum, doesn't she?"

I replied that I was impressed by his feminist deconstruction of the fact that while male Transformers like Bulkhead can let it all hang out, the femmebots like Arcee and Airachnid are trapped in a masculine society in which they must conform to the traditional male objectivist fantasy of a 'cute bum'. :P

I'm trying to figure which is more disturbing/amusing... Your 3yo nephew having an interest in fembutts, or robo-objectification.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/Lil_Arcee_by_MattMoylan.jpg