PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - Asian Generations DELUXE

griffin
25th July 2012, 12:24 PM
These may end up being released here, now that it has been announced that they will be released in America... but for those who have already been buying them (and those still deciding), this is for you.

Autobot Springer - Redeco of Movie Tomahawk, with new head & weapon.
Cliffjumper - Redeco of TFPrime FE Cliffjumper, with new head.
Swerve - Redeco of Classicverse Kup, with new head.
Wheelie - Redeco of Classicverse Jazz, with new head & weapon.

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to get you started)

Series - Transformers Generations
Sub-line - (Asian/HK Hasbro)
Size/class - Deluxe
New/remould/redeco - redecoes w/ new heads & some with new weapons
Wave - (1)
Released here - Not here (released in HK July 2012)
Approximate Retail Price - $?
Approximate Size - 14cm

Autobot Springer
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Attack helicopter
Main Features/Gimmicks - none (Gen1 homage)
Main Colours - Grey, green, black, yellow
Main Accessories - sword, 2 missiles & launchers

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/excl2012a22.jpg

Cliffjumper
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Muscle car
Main Colours - Red, black
Main Accessories - none

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/excl2012a23.jpg

Swerve
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Pickup truck/Ute
Main Colours - Red, black, grey, white
Main Accessories - gun

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/excl2012a24.jpg

Wheelie
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode - Sports car
Main Colours - Dark orange, light orange, grey, white
Main Accessories - gun/slingshot

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/excl2012a25.jpg

Sutton
26th July 2012, 11:35 AM
I'm slightly interested in these guys, but not at the prices they're commanding at the moment on ebay - they're not special enough to warrant a premium price tag.

Wheelie is a little hard to take at that size - he's the biggest and broadest of the lot, with Springer being the smallest, which is just odd. I do think the Cliffjumper works quite well in a classics setting, however - better than a silver and red Bee repaint at least. The horns would need clipping from the bonnet however :D Swerve is an interesting character in the comics but this figure doesn't represent him that well.

I'll probably just end up getting Cliffjumper, and putting the money I save towards a better, bigger version of Springer that may or may not be made by Hasbro - this is the third 'Classics' Springer repaint (IIRC) that Hasbro has produced so far so it's looking less and less likely that we'll ever see a proper triple-changing Springer from them.

Decepticon
26th July 2012, 02:37 PM
I want all of these. Hope they get here sometime.:(

SuspectimusPrime
26th July 2012, 06:36 PM
- this is the third 'Classics' Springer repaint (IIRC) that Hasbro has produced so far so it's looking less and less likely that we'll ever see a proper triple-changing Springer from them.

Oh well, as long as they don't use the mold to repaint as Sandstorm. Not a character that gets a lot of love, but I really liked him in the cartoon for some reason. As a kid I kept rewatching that episode where he's friends with Octane. :)

Sutton
27th July 2012, 07:14 PM
Oh well, as long as they don't use the mold to repaint as Sandstorm. Not a character that gets a lot of love, but I really liked him in the cartoon for some reason. As a kid I kept rewatching that episode where he's friends with Octane. :)

Nope, Sandstorm's just getting a scout sized repaint...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/3/9/4/7/1/TRANSFORMERS_ChinaImport_Sandstorm_1342232967.jpg

M-bot
5th August 2012, 10:10 PM
Got my Asian Exclusive deluxes late last week. Some thoughts...

Springer:
Love the new head sculpt, and I'm glad that someone other than 3rd parties are giving the character a go, but this is the weakest of the four. While I really like the Tomahawk mold, the only thing that would link this mold with the character is that it's a helicopter. The legs are too spindly for Springer, and the shoulders are low on the body. It is just wrong for the character. Springer should be broad shouldered, bold and tough. The lack of a second alt mode is a disappointment, but I agree with Sutton, something tells me that HasTak are uninterested in producing a genuine triple changer. In this respect, Warbot Defender will have to suffice as Springer for those who are OK with 3rd party products.

On the plus side, the colours are good, and I've mentioned the head sculpt already.

Cliffjumper:
Personally, I'm not that interested in TFPrime, so this particular mold was not on my radar as far as purchases are concerned. I've heard some critics have suggested that the animated aesthetic is a poor fit for what I'm guessing is intended as an inclusion in the classics range, but I disagree. It's not too 'cartoony' for mine, despite the leg/arm/body proportions being a bit odd, and I like Cliffjumper as a muscle car. What I would have liked was that the alt mode was a little bigger, as it seems to be quite small compared to other deluxe-sized cars. But being a TF fan, we all pretty much gave up on scale a long time ago, right?;)

Swerve:
Great head sculpt, great colours, and a great pick of a mold far a repaint, especially for the character. Just works really well. A worthy inclusion in any classics collection.

Wheelie:
There are many reasons why I should not love this: the mold is too large and bulky for Wheelie (especially around the upper body), the alt mode is a confusing match between real world vehicle and cybertronian vehicle without being one or the other, and Wheelie really ought not be deluxe sized in my opinion (scout/commander class would be more apt). But this model is just so damned charming. The head sculpt is perfect. The colours are vibrant. He has a freakin' slingshot! I'm a fan, a big one, but I could appreciate others not liking it.

To sum up:
Despite being repaints, I'm quite liking these. Each one of the new head sculpts are great. Paint apps and colour choices are really nice. In my view, the positives outweigh the negatives on all of them and I'm glad to have them in my collection, but I probably wouldn't recommend them for everyone - price may be an issue for some unless they are released locally, and these particular interpretations may not be everyone's cup of tea.

SharkyMcShark
26th September 2012, 08:23 PM
I've just ordered Cliffjumper on a whim because these are likely to be the last proper deluxes that we see.

How does the colour compare to the FE Cliffjumper (TakTomy and Hasbro)? Some photos make it look the same (so essentially just a headswap), but some make it look darker.

M-bot
26th September 2012, 09:41 PM
I asked the same question in the comparisons thread, but no replies as yet - I'm guessing that anyone who has seen the thread hasn't got both toys. I think now that they're out in North America I may pose the question on the Reprolabels forum. If I get a response, I'll post it here.

griffin
27th September 2012, 12:37 AM
Ask and ye shall receive... eventually. :p

I only got mine a couple weeks ago, so didn't recall the request.
Photo has now been posted in the comparison topic. (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=14138)

M-bot
27th September 2012, 06:11 AM
Many thanks Griffin!:)

SharkyMcShark
27th September 2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks griff

SharkyMcShark
3rd October 2012, 05:19 AM
Cliffjumper came in the post today.

He's exactly identical to Prime Cliffjumper except in three ways
1> The head (obviously)
2> The red, which is a slightly deeper/darker shade than TFP CJ
3> Tail light paint apps - present on TFP CJ,Not on GDO CJ

Apart from that everything else is the same (colour and layout of paint apps, colour of transparent plastic).

I should say that these aren't complaints, you can tell all of what I've said from pictures and I like the mold enough to have bought it again.

It makes a good Classics Cliff, better than the 2006 Bumblebee repaint. I feel it could have done with an extra weapon (like Springer got) but then you can see that the budget was tight enough as it was what with one less paint app than TFP CJ anyway.

Jim_jim
27th November 2012, 04:23 PM
Wheelie is the best. Nice color scheme, good body structure, well, I like this Jazz mode anyway, this is one that I would commend.