PDA

View Full Version : Metals Dinobot question??

sideswipes brother
27th July 2012, 07:12 PM
I am keen to finish off my Metals collection and am missing about 3 members. One of those members is Dinobot TM2.
After doing some research i have found that it is rare to find him for under $150 bucks as seen in this auction.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-Dinobot-D-48-Beast-Wars-Metals-MISB-Takara-/350543755243?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item519e0937eb

Is there any reason why this figure is almost as much as X-9 Ravage?? The same goes for TM2 Blackarachnia.

Verno
27th July 2012, 07:20 PM
It would just comes down to old-fashioned popularity, wouldn't it?

sideswipes brother
27th July 2012, 07:41 PM
It would just comes down to old-fashioned popularity, wouldn't it?

That being said, then why doesn't the Hasbro TM2 Dinobot fetch that price?

Verno
27th July 2012, 08:13 PM
Good point.

Maybe it's just another one of those TF mysteries. Like 'Why do people like Shattered Glass' or 'Why didn't they give me a Henkei Rhinox'.

GoktimusPrime
27th July 2012, 10:38 PM
I guess people like the exotic Japanese packaging (which is admittedly nicer looking than Hasbro's IMO) and the lenticular tech specs car (which is kinda moot if you can't read Japanese :rolleyes:) ... but the toy itself looks the same to Hasbro's version to me, so IMO just get the cheapest version you can find - Hasbro, Takara, Sonokong... wateva.

Hursticon
28th July 2012, 01:50 AM
I believe it comes down to the fact that it is just far & away easier to find and acquire a Hasbro version than the Takara, there might also be a perception that Takara's will have a superior build quality (Taking into account TM Megatron). :o

Autocon
28th July 2012, 01:57 AM
one is white and one is cream?

Hursticon
28th July 2012, 01:59 AM
one is white and one is cream?

Yeah, Hasbro's version had that as a running change - I'm not sure about the Japanese version though. :)

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2012, 09:42 AM
I believe it comes down to the fact that it is just far & away easier to find and acquire a Hasbro version than the Takara, there might also be a perception that Takara's will have a superior build quality (Taking into account TM Megatron). :o
TM Megatron was the exception rather than the rule. For the most part, Hasbro Transmetals are good quality. But one difference is that Takara's Beast Wars toys often have more show-like colours, since they released their toys after the show was created (whereas Hasbro's toys came out first). Having said that...

Yeah, Hasbro's version had that as a running change - I'm not sure about the Japanese version though. :)
Looking at the photo in post #1 Metals 2 Dinobot looks the same as Transmetal 2 Dinobot - the same creamy colour. So neither looks more show-like than the other. The cartoon model replaces the cream with white, which looks more similar to the rare white variant -- so I might understand that toy commanding a high price on the aftermarket. But Takara's TM2 Dinobot looks the same as Hasbro's, so the price hike seems unwarranted to me (unless someone desperately wants to have that box or lenticular tech specs card that they can read in Japanese)

sideswipes brother
28th July 2012, 10:38 AM
It just seems like ALL the Transmetals 2 in the Metals line command high prices. Even the god awful abomination TM2 Cheetor!!!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-Beast-wars-metals-C-49-CHEETOR-mib-rare-/400187839513?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item5d2d0dd419#ht_1750wt_1396

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2012, 12:13 PM
So just get the Hasbro version. There's a loose TM2 Cheetor here (https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/mytomtom/overview/index.jsp?dwc_settings=port:4000&dcp=11127) going for about $22. I really don't see the point in splashing out on inflated aftermarket prices for anything, but especially if you can get the same toy for cheaper. The only difference would be the box and tech specs card -- and as nice as these things are, I don't think it's worth paying an additional $148 just for the privilege of having a box and card. :rolleyes:

sideswipes brother
28th July 2012, 01:22 PM
So just get the Hasbro version. There's a loose TM2 Cheetor here (https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/mytomtom/overview/index.jsp?dwc_settings=port:4000&dcp=11127) going for about $22. I really don't see the point in splashing out on inflated aftermarket prices for anything, but especially if you can get the same toy for cheaper. The only difference would be the box and tech specs card -- and as nice as these things are, I don't think it's worth paying an additional $148 just for the privilege of having a box and card. :rolleyes:

I already have a complete set of Hasbro Beast Wars. Im collecting the Takara 'Metals' line now. I really just want to know what makes them so expensive?

GoktimusPrime
28th July 2012, 10:47 PM
Im collecting the Takara 'Metals' line now. I really just want to know what makes them so expensive?
Nothing really "makes" them expensive. It just looks like some sellers feel like charging ridiculously inflated prices. But then, are there actually people out there who are willing to pay these prices??? Because we all vote with our wallets... and if you think these prices are unreasonable, then don't pay them.

If sellers are willing to charge massively inflated prices like this and you as a consumer find it unreasonable, then just walk away. Because when you agree to pay these prices then you're justifying them to the sellers, and encouraging them to maintain the prices at such a high level. If on the other hand nobody buys these toys at their inflated prices, then the seller will either continue to stubbornly sit on dead stock (which some dealers do), or they'll lower their prices in an effort to elicit sales.

If you already have all these toys as Hasbro versions, then I see even _less_ reason to pay extra for the Takara versions. I wonder when Metals toys suddenly got so inflated -- because I got Metals Megatron in 2005, some 6 years after it came out (it was at this time my Transmetal Megatron succumbed to Brown Plastic Syndrome and broke so I decided to replace it with the superior Takara version), and I think I only paid about $50 or so for it -- which was already an inflated aftermarket price (original RRP 2500JPY [$30], and I paid about $30-something for TM Megatron from Kmart). So I don't know what's happened between then and now that's caused a recent spike in the aftermarket price for Metals.

If you happen to be intending on travelling to Japan, or if you know any friends who are intending to go to Japan or already in Japan, you might want to consider asking them to try and find some Metals toys for you, because BW toys there really don't cost all that much. I picked up a loose in box BWN Dead End for about 400JPY ('bout five bucks)... off the top of my head I think that toy would've originally retailed for 700JPY ($8.50)... so I managed to get him for nearly half RRP. Heck, if you know any friends travelling anywhere around Asia (China, Hong Kong, Singapore etc.), see if they can scope out collectable toy stores for Beast Wars Metals stuff for you -- cos if they can find any there, I'm quite certain they'd be MUCH cheaper than what you're finding on eBay atm. After all, you're essentially looking at collecting the _same_ toys over again but with a different box and a tech specs card (how well can you read Japanese? ;)); I know that I always recommend against paying inflated aftermarket prices, but in your case where you already have these toys, I strongly advise that you consider avoiding paying inflated prices!

liegeprime
28th July 2012, 11:11 PM
Is there really a difference between the 2 toys? Like a difference in shade or material of the plastic and chrome of the TM2 Dinobots? Im asking coz Im not really that familiar at all with BW, although I do collect only the BW transmetals version of the show cast.

Sky Shadow
29th July 2012, 06:09 AM
I already have a complete set of Hasbro Beast Wars. Im collecting the Takara 'Metals' line now. I really just want to know what makes them so expensive?

It's rarity that makes them expensive. Just like here, some Japanese toys are still available in such multitudinous numbers that they continue to be inexpensive (Encore Ratchet/Ironhide, Beast Wars Neo Randy, Micron Legend Demolishor, Galaxy Force Inch Up and hundreds of other equally obvious examples). Alternatively - again like here - some are hard to find because they were produced in limited numbers or near the end of a line (like Beast Wars Neo Blendtrons and Killer Punch) or both those things plus being particularly desirable recolours (like most of the Beast Wars Returns toys, particularly Megahead Megatron.)

In the case of the Beast Wars Metals line, most were widely produced and are still cheap (Airazor, Scavenger, Rattrap, Rhinox, Terrorsaur, Quickstrike, Primal, Depth Charge etc.) The ones that aren't - as above - were in some way unique and popular (Megatron and Ravage) or from the end of the line (Transmetal 2s).

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2012, 09:34 AM
I saw a boxed TM2 Tigerhawk in Japan earlier this year... can't remember the price, but I do remember thinking it was a good price and I would've paid it if I'd needed that toy (so it must've been fairly close to RRP for me to think that). So yeah, if you're able to get to Japan or if you know a friend who is going to or is already in Japan or other Asian countries, I'd suggest seeing if they can scope collectable toy stores over there for the toys you need first before resorting to Western sellers who seem to charge more.

SuspectimusPrime
29th July 2012, 02:23 PM
Just did a random search after reading the above comments and found this: :eek:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-BEASTWARS-METALS-C-42-CHEETOR-/350583646680?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item51a069e9d8#ht_682wt_1270

Wasn't Beast Wars much more popular amongst the Japanese fandom? I always assumed that it did leave a more favourable impression across a large proportion of fans, which explained why they chose to go through with Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo.

GoktimusPrime
29th July 2012, 09:09 PM
Just did a random search after reading the above comments and found this: :eek:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-BEASTWARS-METALS-C-42-CHEETOR-/350583646680?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item51a069e9d8#ht_682wt_1270
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/spitdrink-1.gif

Wasn't Beast Wars much more popular amongst the Japanese fandom? I always assumed that it did leave a more favourable impression across a large proportion of fans, which explained why they chose to go through with Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo.
Beast Wars Metals wasn't very popular with Japanese fans. Japanese fans criticised BW Metals' Transmetals and Fuzors as being poor robots in disguise. Beast Wars, Beast Wars Second and Beast Wars Neo all proved more popular because most of those toys transformed into more realistic organic looking beasts and thus maintained the 'robots in disguise' appeal. Transmetals have mechanical beast modes and Fuzors are basically TF Wuzzles ;)

1orion2many
30th July 2012, 12:11 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/spitdrink-1.gif

Beast Wars Metals wasn't very popular with Japanese fans. Japanese fans criticised BW Metals' Transmetals and Fuzors as being poor robots in disguise. Beast Wars, Beast Wars Second and Beast Wars Neo all proved more popular because most of those toys transformed into more realistic organic looking beasts and thus maintained the 'robots in disguise' appeal. Transmetals have mechanical beast modes and Fuzors are basically TF Wuzzles ;)

WUZZLES:eek: You are showing your age:p:D

GoktimusPrime
30th July 2012, 12:17 PM
They should make a tee shirt for us oldies that says, "When I was your age Bumblebee could talk!" :p Then there's this shirt (http://rlv.zcache.com/when_i_was_your_age_pluto_was_a_planet_tshirt-p235012978064250034bforu_400.jpg) ;)

1orion2many
30th July 2012, 02:39 PM
:DLOL:D