PDA

View Full Version : The Decision Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Bidoofdude
12th August 2012, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I haven't started many threads here so I thought this would be a good idea. I get the impression that many here (including myself) have a hard time making decisions on which toys they would like(definitely me). So I have started this thread for those who need help making decisions on which option(s) they should take, based on the experiences and comparisons made by other members. Please feel free to post any questions regarding decisions on what you should buy and help those around you. I am not very experienced at this type of thing so share the answers around a little:
As for me, my important decision is a tad complicated involving various products.
I get around $150 for my birthday and about the same for Christmas. I have many options and I pretty much favour them all:
Option 1: $150 Masterpiece Optimus with Xmas money- pretty straight-forward
Option 2: Save money from birthday and Xmas to hopefully get green giant over time. (earn the other $100 somehow)
Option 3: Save from both to get generations voyager Soundwave and Grimlock+some FOC deluxes
Option 4: Fall of Cybertron (game) + some deluxe class figures (from b'day money)
Option 5: ONLINE SHOPPING SPREE FOR GENERATIONS/UNIVERSE/CLASSICS DELUXE!!!!!
so yeah, really tough choice.
I REALLY want mp Optimus, but my classics collection is kinda small so I may need to get a lot of those before they get eve more pricey. Green Giant will sell extremely quickly so its a tough call. Mp Op would be the earliest choice or some deluxes. Or there's even the option of saving from both and getting g1 omega supreme. SO HARD!!!
So anyway, feel free to ask away or make suggestions to people.

Bidoofdude out...

M-bot
12th August 2012, 06:15 PM
I would go for option one. MP-10 is a pretty sweet model IMO. It's a definite winner, whereas some of your other options are potentially disappointing (I mean, who hasn't purchased something they later regretted?).

My 2 cents...:cool::)

Ode to a Grasshopper
12th August 2012, 06:22 PM
I've got MP10 (albeit the Takara version) and he's pretty sweet...

Options 1, 4, and 5 all sound pretty good. If you can get a sweet deal on the Classics lot it's a good idea, if you can get FoC and some decent Classics figs that's a good deal too.
Bear in mind you could probably hunt online and get the US Hasbro MP10 for less than $150 even with postage, especially if you're patient, don't mind used TFs, and/or get on a decent group import order, and the same goes for FoC.
Personally I'd go for hunting down a cheap MP10, and getting FoC.

Bidoofdude
12th August 2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the two cents guys! Optimus is sounding really tempting right now and I'm quite impatient; I'll probably pay full price for him anyway. If i have any left over I'll get maybe some classics or whatever, but thanks for the info. I see no-one has made any suggestions yet. Keep it up guys.

KalEl
12th August 2012, 07:27 PM
I would def recommend the mp-10 you won't regret it :)

liegeprime
12th August 2012, 07:33 PM
If you don't mind buying loose toys for Generations/Universe/Classics some of our members here are selling them $15 a figure - emmai in particular comes to mind right now. I think he has a loose dirge, Acid storm and RTS scourges up for sale...Kal el has a couple more generations stuff as well so yeah hit the sale threads if your ok with loose figures...

Yeah as OtaG said scour first for a cheap MP optimus coz then you'll have enough left over to buy some cheap Gen/Univ/Classics figure here among fellow members so option

1 and 5 ( albeit online meaning local - which saves you heaps on postage as well.

But if your one who likes MISC/MISB figures then option 5 may take a back seat and go for option 1 first - just don't be impulsive and get the first one you spot - look around online. That way you stretch your dollar more.

GoktimusPrime
12th August 2012, 10:42 PM
Umm... hey guys, let's be mindful of bidoofdude's relatively young age (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=309455&postcount=88). :o If I were in your situation bidoofdude, I would recommend either option 3 or 4 -- because that's absolutely what I would do if I were your age. Actually, option 3 is pretty much what I did do when I was that age (i.e. buying lots of toys from local retail stores - only that it was G1 at the time ;)).

While Masterpiece Transformers appeal to us oldies who grew up with G1, I don't really see the appeal to younger fans who don't hold the same nostalgia. Also, your average Deluxe offers better play value than most Masterpieces which tend to be more like articulated and transformable (and very expensive) display pieces than proper action figures.

Trent
12th August 2012, 11:01 PM
Actually, option 3 is pretty much what I did do when I was that age (i.e. buying lots of toys from local retail stores - only that it was G1 at the time ;)).
are you THAT old??

:p

GoktimusPrime
12th August 2012, 11:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/jasper2.jpg :p

liegeprime
12th August 2012, 11:59 PM
Well Gok, hence I did offer him first the option of getting from sellers here in the forum, at least we know he's not gonna get gipped by fellow members, and he has the option of buying it at a cheaper price too than the local/online retailers would for already finished production toylines - though loose figures (RTS/ Generations).

Kazza
13th August 2012, 04:21 AM
I think all proper transformers fan should have masterpiece optimus in some form or way, I just luckily got my hands on MP-04 optimus prime convoy thanks to emmai on this forum. So that frees up my double of optimus prime 20th anniversary dvd edition with electronic stand fully complete and boxed. I'm willing to sell it a bit cheaper to you, definitely under 150 around 120 maybe lower, let me know if your interested. I live in melbourne too, but i'm a lazy guy and cbf posting at post office.

Bidoofdude
13th August 2012, 06:36 PM
Umm... hey guys, let's be mindful of bidoofdude's relatively young age (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=309455&postcount=88). :o If I were in your situation bidoofdude, I would recommend either option 3 or 4 -- because that's absolutely what I would do if I were your age. Actually, option 3 is pretty much what I did do when I was that age (i.e. buying lots of toys from local retail stores - only that it was G1 at the time ;)).

While Masterpiece Transformers appeal to us oldies who grew up with G1, I don't really see the appeal to younger fans who don't hold the same nostalgia. Also, your average Deluxe offers better play value than most Masterpieces which tend to be more like articulated and transformable (and very expensive) display pieces than proper action figures.
Actually, I am very nostalgic, I seemed to wathc way more G1(2005 reruns) than cybertron. The only thing was, I pretty much only got cybertron toys (beacause they were in). In fact, I am quite particular and really only buy toys that appeal to G1 as they are very nostalgic to me. I've always wanted a g1 prime since i first saw g1 in 2004, so yeah, really wanted one for ages. I don't know why I missed the first too. I plan to start out with some classics, then when the bucks start getting high I can get some G1s. something thats really bad for me is whenever I go to retail stores, its always that time when there's absolutely no G1 styled toys- at all. So I actually am quite nostalgic as its pretty much the only tf cartoon I remember from when I was young.

Bidoofdude
13th August 2012, 06:38 PM
Also, feel free to ask many decision making questions in this thread as it has been seen here, thre are many willing to answer your queries.

SuspectimusPrime
13th August 2012, 08:02 PM
Depending on the wait time between your birthday and Christmas (that wait time might give you the opportunity to earn that extra $100?), I'll toss in my +1 with what Overlord said :)

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/Suspectimus/Overlord-Option2.jpg

Quite the dilemma, I would bring it down to getting the option now that will go up in value the most one year from now (so you don't have to pay the scalpers).

I like Option 1 and 5 as well. If you were to chase Classicsverse figs, I would go with leige's suggestion. Hold onto some monies and hawk for the forums and eBay for the occasional bargains. I skipped Classics/Henkei/Universe/Classicse 2.0 during their retail release (repeated lapses of judgement), and had to pay 120%-200% (MISB) for the majority of those figs, even though I got one I made sure I was paying less than the average asking price. Prices on eBay are static now and set for the most of them.

The game's not going to go up in value over time, and whilst its a good idea to buy figs at retail or retail sale prices now rather than let it go up later, FOC Deluxes aren't really the Deluxes we're used to...

Bidoofdude
13th August 2012, 09:18 PM
ok, thanks for the judgement guys, but i think we're getting a little off track. No one else has any decision making queries? :( thought there was more out there.

KalEl
13th August 2012, 10:01 PM
ok, thanks for the judgement guys, but i think we're getting a little off track. No one else has any decision making queries? :( thought there was more out there.

yeah guys any other decisions you may require assistance with?

Jinto
13th August 2012, 10:21 PM
I'd go for option 4 or 5. Give yourself a bit of variety, rather than just one or two larger figures.

GoktimusPrime
13th August 2012, 10:35 PM
I plan to start out with some classics, then when the bucks start getting high I can get some G1s. something thats really bad for me is whenever I go to retail stores, its always that time when there's absolutely no G1 styled toys- at all.
Classicsverse _are_ G1 styled toys. They're arguably superior to G1 toys in the following ways:
+ More durable. G1 toys break much easier.
+ Superior detailing in sculpts and colour/paint apps. G1 toys are more blocky and you have to apply stickers.
+ Greater articulation. Most G1 toys have poor articulation, they were designed to transform and wield weapons, and that was pretty much it. Classicsverse toys can do all kinds of neat and exciting action poses.
+ Greater cartoon likeness, which I suspect may be a factor for you as someone who got into G1 through the cartoon.
+ MUCH cheaper compared to buying G1 off the secondary market. A MOSC Generations Wheeljack sold at Kmart for $25 but a MISB G1 Wheeljack - that originally sold for less than $20 - I dread to think about how much they'd sell for now. Even a loose (second hand) complete G1 Wheeljack might cost over $50-60... compared to paying $25 for a new minty fresh Generations Wheeljack you can see which deal offers superior value for money. With G1 collecting you're really more paying for the scarcity rather than for the value of the toy.
+ More convenient/easier to collect. Even if you were filthy rich and could afford to buy G1 off the secondary market, you'd still need to find a considerable amount of time and effort to track all those toys down. Then you run the risk of dodgy sellers, or maybe there's a problem with the toy etc. - with Classicsverse toys you can always bring them back to the shop for an exchange/refund if anything goes wrong (like my first Generations Drift that had two of the same hand!), but I don't know if the same can be done with G1 toys bought off the secondary market.
+ No (or much lesser) risk of unknowingly buying fakes. How bad would it be if you spent hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on G1 toys believing they were real, only to discover that they were fakes? That's not going to happen if you buy Classicsverse toys from your local shops.

Ultimately what you want to collect is up to you, but if I were you I'd stick to Classicsverse. Cheaper, easier, better. Anyway, feel free to have a look through the G1 & Classicsverse comparison thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9742). Reissues is another option you might like to consider if you're really keen on collecting G1 - they're perfectly legit and are also cheaper and easier -- and also better because they won't have physically aged as much as vintage G1 toys. And in many cases they've made improvements on G1 moulds with the reissues (e.g. full powered missile launchers - original G1 launchers can barely shoot if at all).

liegeprime
13th August 2012, 10:44 PM
Pffft, yeah right , just shows how you really don't buy online at all Gok - G1 wheeljack loose nowadays cost way more than $50-60, try doubling that and with the proliferation of them KOs it's just ever so hard not to get gipped. I got mine 6 years ago and it cost me $80 + postage only because I was the only bidder at 2 am. :p:p

Sometimes , I really wish Takara tomy would retromould the remaining G1 figures left for them to issue out under encore just to really drive the prices down and destroy those KOs- Mirage, Sunstreaker and Wheeljack

GoktimusPrime
13th August 2012, 10:46 PM
Pffft, yeah right , just shows how you really don't buy online at all Gok
The closest I come to buying Transformers online is standing in a queue at Target. :p :p

KalEl
14th August 2012, 06:38 PM
I have a mint on card Takara animated rodimus, should i open it?

Bidoofdude
14th August 2012, 07:21 PM
Hmm, its a TRU exclusive (or was it target), so maybe but maybe not. Hard decision. Do you have any particular use for it. If most of your other animated are opened, open it. Or you could wait and see how much it goes for over time. :)
EDIT: wait, its takara. Makes it even harder.

Bidoofdude
14th August 2012, 07:26 PM
Classicsverse _are_ G1 styled toys. They're arguably superior to G1 toys in the following ways:
+ More durable. G1 toys break much easier.
+ Superior detailing in sculpts and colour/paint apps. G1 toys are more blocky and you have to apply stickers.
+ Greater articulation. Most G1 toys have poor articulation, they were designed to transform and wield weapons, and that was pretty much it. Classicsverse toys can do all kinds of neat and exciting action poses.
+ Greater cartoon likeness, which I suspect may be a factor for you as someone who got into G1 through the cartoon.
+ MUCH cheaper compared to buying G1 off the secondary market. A MOSC Generations Wheeljack sold at Kmart for $25 but a MISB G1 Wheeljack - that originally sold for less than $20 - I dread to think about how much they'd sell for now. Even a loose (second hand) complete G1 Wheeljack might cost over $50-60... compared to paying $25 for a new minty fresh Generations Wheeljack you can see which deal offers superior value for money. With G1 collecting you're really more paying for the scarcity rather than for the value of the toy.
+ More convenient/easier to collect. Even if you were filthy rich and could afford to buy G1 off the secondary market, you'd still need to find a considerable amount of time and effort to track all those toys down. Then you run the risk of dodgy sellers, or maybe there's a problem with the toy etc. - with Classicsverse toys you can always bring them back to the shop for an exchange/refund if anything goes wrong (like my first Generations Drift that had two of the same hand!), but I don't know if the same can be done with G1 toys bought off the secondary market.
+ No (or much lesser) risk of unknowingly buying fakes. How bad would it be if you spent hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on G1 toys believing they were real, only to discover that they were fakes? That's not going to happen if you buy Classicsverse toys from your local shops.

Ultimately what you want to collect is up to you, but if I were you I'd stick to Classicsverse. Cheaper, easier, better. Anyway, feel free to have a look through the G1 & Classicsverse comparison thread (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9742). Reissues is another option you might like to consider if you're really keen on collecting G1 - they're perfectly legit and are also cheaper and easier -- and also better because they won't have physically aged as much as vintage G1 toys. And in many cases they've made improvements on G1 moulds with the reissues (e.g. full powered missile launchers - original G1 launchers can barely shoot if at all).

I already kind of knew ALL of that. But thanks anyway!! :) I am very aware of all these and I think, (depending on the situation) I will get Prime. Its vehicle will fit well with my autobot cars. (basically only rts Rodimus. (btw i got battle in space- looks great) an I have always wanted a g1 esque prime, so thats my option. I think I know what I'm talking about.(so don't try tempting me :D) thanks for helping with the decision, its final (i think :?) (btw, I should really post my collection, shouldn't I?)

M-bot
14th August 2012, 07:35 PM
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool TF liberator, so I say: Free that Rodimus. :D

The argument goes something like this: It's not really a Transformer until it is taken from its plastic and cardboard prison and is Transformed. Until then, it is merely a plastic robot or vehicle (or whatever alt mode it happens to have) yearning to break free... :p:D

KalEl
14th August 2012, 08:01 PM
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool TF liberator, so I say: Free that Rodimus. :D

The argument goes something like this: It's not really a Transformer until it is taken from its plastic and cardboard prison and is Transformed. Until then, it is merely a plastic robot or vehicle (or whatever alt mode it happens to have) yearning to break free... :p:D

is it valuable though? put if this way im in the same boat i have probably less than five bots mint in package still so its a tough one.

M-bot
14th August 2012, 08:04 PM
No doubt it loses value, but for me... I love TF's rather than the money value of those TF's but I can see the opposing viewpoint.

GoktimusPrime
14th August 2012, 08:04 PM
I have a mint on card Takara animated rodimus, should i open it?
Hell yes. What good's a toy if you can't play with it? :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/th_like.jpg

Another way to see it: when it's opened it's a toy, while it's sealed it's stock. ;) Also, we all know that opened toys are happy, friendly and loving, while sealed toys are just bitter and evil (because they've never been loved and don't know how to love).

Happy-->http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/th_toystory.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/th_stinkypete.jpg<--Evil

KalEl
14th August 2012, 08:08 PM

Another way to see it: when it's opened it's a toy, while it's sealed it's stock. ;) Also, we all know that opened toys are happy, friendly and loving, while sealed toys are just bitter and evil (because they've never been loved and don't know how to love).

Happy-->http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/th_toystory.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/th_stinkypete.jpg<--Evil

Ima likin da way ya thinkin brah
(Edit: can't believe i said brah....)

Kazza
14th August 2012, 08:18 PM

Exactly the way I feel about transformers or any toys in general. They're toys and are meant to be opened and played with, sure you can collect them and store them MISB, but thats not far away from just having a still photo, and i think people only keep things sealed if they think they'll be in a financial strain some time in the future. No point worrying about the value of a toy and how much they will grow if kept sealed unless you are going to 100% sell it.

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2012, 12:01 PM
Most toys don't appreciate very well, if at all. And of those who do, they usually have an extremely slow rate of appreciation (unless it's something special like a limited exclusive of course). IMO it's better to collect toys because it's something you enjoy rather than as a form of investment. If people want to invest their money, they're better off buying stockmarket shares, blue chips or just opening a long term savings account at a bank.

Anyway, here's my decision dilemma:
I have a contact in Japan who's gradually getting me various toys and is holding them at his place until everything's done and send them off to me in one package. This is what I'd initially asked him to do because with Japan Post, the cost of shipping gets relatively cheaper per kg with larger and bulkier boxes. But the wait is frustrating. So far he's gotten me Arms Micron Skywarp, Arms Micron Breakdown and TF Generations 2012. Masterpiece Sunstorm should be coming out for me later this month. Then there's nothing until December when United Artfire comes out, then later Amazon MP Lambor and Amazon MP Soundwave... so it may be early to mid 2013 by time everything arrives at my friend's place and he ends off shipping it all off to me!

As I said, the wait is frustrating... but also part of me is kinda fearful that I may be putting all my eggs in one basket, if you take my meaning... i.e. if anything should happen to that one box during transit, then an entire year's worth of TF purchases could be compromised. So... should I:
a) Ask my friend to send me the Arms Micron toys, book and MP Sunstorm first in one package, then United Artfire and the MPs in a second box later on (and pay for two shipments), or...
b) Stick to my original plan and just be patient. Possibly pay extra for registered or insured postage since it's a single shipment. Although that can get really expensive which would probably negate any savings made from a single shipment... might be cheaper to get them sent to me in 2-3 shipments.

I'm already getting most of these toys relatively cheap because they have earlybird discounts for preorders... and AM Skywarp was purchased during a toy sale from local retail. AM Breakdown and the TF Gen book may be the only 2 items that I'm paying full RRP for, so considering that I'm already making a saving on the price of the items, maybe I shouldn't be so tight with the cost of postage. Thoughts/advice?

Kazza
15th August 2012, 01:49 PM
Most toys don't appreciate very well, if at all. And of those who do, they usually have an extremely slow rate of appreciation (unless it's something special like a limited exclusive of course). IMO it's better to collect toys because it's something you enjoy rather than as a form of investment. If people want to invest their money, they're better off buying stockmarket shares, blue chips or just opening a long term savings account at a bank.

Anyway, here's my decision dilemma:
I have a contact in Japan who's gradually getting me various toys and is holding them at his place until everything's done and send them off to me in one package. This is what I'd initially asked him to do because with Japan Post, the cost of shipping gets relatively cheaper per kg with larger and bulkier boxes. But the wait is frustrating. So far he's gotten me Arms Micron Skywarp, Arms Micron Breakdown and TF Generations 2012. Masterpiece Sunstorm should be coming out for me later this month. Then there's nothing until December when United Artfire comes out, then later Amazon MP Lambor and Amazon MP Soundwave... so it may be early to mid 2013 by time everything arrives at my friend's place and he ends off shipping it all off to me!

As I said, the wait is frustrating... but also part of me is kinda fearful that I may be putting all my eggs in one basket, if you take my meaning... i.e. if anything should happen to that one box during transit, then an entire year's worth of TF purchases could be compromised. So... should I:
a) Ask my friend to send me the Arms Micron toys, book and MP Sunstorm first in one package, then United Artfire and the MPs in a second box later on (and pay for two shipments), or...
b) Stick to my original plan and just be patient. Possibly pay extra for registered or insured postage since it's a single shipment. Although that can get really expensive which would probably negate any savings made from a single shipment... might be cheaper to get them sent to me in 2-3 shipments.

I'm already getting most of these toys relatively cheap because they have earlybird discounts for preorders... and AM Skywarp was purchased during a toy sale from local retail. AM Breakdown and the TF Gen book may be the only 2 items that I'm paying full RRP for, so considering that I'm already making a saving on the price of the items, maybe I shouldn't be so tight with the cost of postage. Thoughts/advice?

It really depends on the saving and if your in financial strain, but i would get what he already has for you sent now and than get him to send another package when the rest comes out. Also it can be beneficial with less items sent, more padding can be used to secure all items, but the more items sent together i would imagine less padding would be used cause the boxes hold each other in place, and i usually find if that is the case, dents may appear on various sides of the boxes.

SuspectimusPrime
15th August 2012, 03:33 PM
is it valuable though? put if this way im in the same boat i have probably less than five bots mint in package still so its a tough one.

If you've got Animated Cybertronian mode Ironhide, he needs a leader :)

I saw loads of Takara TFA Rodimus' (Rodimi?) whilst in HK mid this year, so they're pretty replaceable, despite their better colour scheme. Also, this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-Animated-Deluxe-Class-TA33-Rodimus-/140812246825?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item20c9105f29#ht_3807wt_906) looks like a good buy price for me.

I really enjoyed Animated, and there was some hype (from some fans anyways), but I think overall prices will fall for remain static. Exclusives like Elite Guard Prowl fell from $70-100 range when it came out, to about $50 now; and Black OP from a crazy high at $200 to $120-ish the last time I checked.

KalEl
15th August 2012, 03:43 PM
If you've got Animated Cybertronian mode Ironhide, he needs a leader :)

I saw loads of Takara TFA Rodimus' (Rodimi?) whilst in HK mid this year, so they're pretty replaceable, despite their better colour scheme. Also, this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRANSFORMERS-Animated-Deluxe-Class-TA33-Rodimus-/140812246825?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item20c9105f29#ht_3807wt_906) looks like a good buy price for me.

I really enjoyed Animated, and there was some hype (from some fans anyways), but I think overall prices will fall for remain static. Exclusives like Elite Guard Prowl fell from $70-100 range when it came out, to about $50 now; and Black OP from a crazy high at $200 to $120-ish the last time I checked.
done deal! opening it right now! and im gonna review it!

SuspectimusPrime
15th August 2012, 06:13 PM
IMO it's better to collect toys because it's something you enjoy rather than as a form of investment. If people want to invest their money, they're better off buying stockmarket shares, blue chips or just opening a long term savings account at a bank.

Agreed, it's never a good idea to mix business and pleasure ;). If making money from a hobby ends up souring, it may change one's perspective towards that hobby as well.

...the cost of shipping gets relatively cheaper per kg with larger and bulkier boxes. But the wait is frustrating.

Is this a constant rate or does it becomes cheaper exponentially? Unless the savings becomes a drastic amount, then its hard to justify - say the cost of shipping per figure drops from $20/fig, to say $8/fig which roughly the cost of travel for making a local acquisition.

I think either way you should get some insurance, because unlike eBay and purchases from online stores, there will be nobody else to turn to if that unfortunate mishap does occur.

Just to throw some more concerns into the mix :p, responding to each option respectively:
a) In terms of chance of a mishap occurring, there's a greater chance that it will occur if you increase the number of deliveries. Say chance of surviving transit is 99%, then to expect that to occur on all three goes, you're asking for 0.99 x 0.99 x 0.99 = 0.97; or a 3% chance that a mishap will happen to at least one box.
b) A larger box may be stacked with other larger boxes during transit, and those other larger boxes may contain heavier items which may cause damage to your package/contents upon transit (crushing or tossed together during transit).

Having mentioned that, the great majority of my collection has been bought outside of Australia (at least 80% in the last few years, due to price or availability) and I've only ever had one delivery issue, and that was with China.

Bidoofdude
15th August 2012, 07:23 PM
I would stick to the one package, depending on how desperate you are. Always never think of the worst-case scenario. If you are quite anxious to get a hold of some, get them over here soon. If you can be tolerant, keep them in one. It really depends on your patience.

Ode to a Grasshopper
15th August 2012, 08:23 PM
Breakdown is pretty awesome...if you haven't found Oz to give you a sufficient plastic crack fix this year you might as well get them sooner rather than later.
You've got Knock Out already, right?

M-bot
15th August 2012, 09:23 PM
So... should I:
b) Stick to my original plan and just be patient. Possibly pay extra for registered or insured postage since it's a single shipment. Although that can get really expensive which would probably negate any savings made from a single shipment... might be cheaper to get them sent to me in 2-3 shipments. Thoughts/advice?

Someone else here on the boards (might have been Paulbot... but can't be sure - apologies if I'm wrong) said something once along the lines of buying at full or a higher initial price is a tax on impatience. I'm thinking that time being the elastic beast it is, travels far more slowly when we're anticipating something cool. I've got a couple of things due to arrive in the next few weeks, and I'll likely have to wait until my birthday to open them. It's only in September and yet feels like an age away.
I say wait, unless the money you would be saving is not an issue. Patience is a virtue... :) which is not to say I've always been so virtuous... ;)

GoktimusPrime
15th August 2012, 10:31 PM
It really depends on the saving and if your in financial strain, but i would get what he already has for you sent now and than get him to send another package when the rest comes out. Also it can be beneficial with less items sent, more padding can be used to secure all items, but the more items sent together i would imagine less padding would be used cause the boxes hold each other in place, and i usually find if that is the case, dents may appear on various sides of the boxes.
Hmm... that's a good point. And Artfire doesn't come out until December (which means there's a possibility that my friend won't receive it until January, depending on how fast they ship it out to him) -- so there's several months for me to financially recover after sending the first box. :)

Is this a constant rate or does it becomes cheaper exponentially? Unless the savings becomes a drastic amount, then its hard to justify - say the cost of shipping per figure drops from $20/fig, to say $8/fig which roughly the cost of travel for making a local acquisition.
It gets cheaper as the box gets bigger/heavier, but then the saving kinda peters out after a certain size. So if I have Sunstorm, the two Arms Microns and the book in one box... there's a good chance that I won't make much more of a saving by including the others or not.

You've got Knock Out already, right?
No! :( :(

Someone else here on the boards (might have been Paulbot... but can't be sure - apologies if I'm wrong) said something once along the lines of buying at full or a higher initial price is a tax on impatience.
Yeah, Paulbot calls it impatience tax. :) But in this case, except for Breakdown, I've paid less than full retail price for all these toys. So considering that I'm already paying less than full price for most of these toys, I'm seriously tempted to use that money saved to just get some of the toys sent sooner. And I also suspect that I may have "capped" that point where I would make much more savings by having it sent in a single box anyway.

Patience is a virtue... :) which is not to say I've always been so virtuous... ;)
Heh, me too. :D Although sometimes impatience can be a virtue too (in toy collecting) -- i.e. the number of times I see some toys go for ridiculously inflated aftermarket prices and I've thought to myself, "Gee... glad I picked it up as soon as I saw it when it came out!" (or pre-ordered it before it came out) -- but a lot of other times it works against me when I buy a toy at full price, then later it gets massively discounted. Ah well... as long as I'm not paying _above_ full retail, then I'm satisfied. :)

...atm I'm seriously tempted to get the toys sent separately now. I'll wait until after MP Sunstorm's received, and after I've made some other payments and reconsider it then. :)

liegeprime
16th August 2012, 09:27 AM
Just make sure to pay for registering your package Gok, you never know.......

KalEl
16th August 2012, 09:46 AM
done deal! opening it right now! and im gonna review it!

It is open and reviewed!!! check it out guys and girls

Bidoofdude
19th August 2012, 08:19 PM
Masterpiece Optimus Prime (2012) and G1 Trypticon for same price. Hardcore Tryp fan and would be great for first g1 figure. Optimus is just, AWESOME. REALLY hard decision for me. I had to think for a whole footy match (which we won- red and white) and still can't decide.
And wow, G1 transformers are a LOT smaller than I thought they would be. Especially Blitzwing and the insecticons, maybe even jazz!!!
(Try and guess where I found 'em)
REALLY hard to decide. One of my hardest decisions yet!

Ode to a Grasshopper
19th August 2012, 08:26 PM
Masterpiece Optimus Prime (2012) and G1 Trypticon for same price. Hardcore Tryp fan and would be great for first g1 figure. Optimus is just, AWESOME. REALLY hard decision for me. I had to think for a whole footy match (which we won- red and white) and still can't decide.
And wow, G1 transformers are a LOT smaller than I thought they would be. Especially Blitzwing and the insecticons, maybe even jazz!!!
(Try and guess where I found 'em)
REALLY hard to decide. One of my hardest decisions yet!Trypticon.
MP Optimus V2 will be around for a while, and you should be able to find him for cheaper later once he's been out for a while. Trypticon is going to be harder to find and probably more expensive unless there's a reissue anytime soon...which AFAIK hasn't been flagged and sadly looks unlikely after Metroplex and Omega Supreme shelfwarming in Japan. If you're a fan of the character then grab the bargain while you can.

Bidoofdude
19th August 2012, 08:35 PM
Trypticon.
MP Optimus V2 will be around for a while, and you should be able to find him for cheaper later once he's been out for a while. Trypticon is going to be harder to find and probably more expensive unless there's a reissue anytime soon...which AFAIK hasn't been flagged and sadly looks unlikely after Metroplex and Omega Supreme shelfwarming in Japan. If you're a fan of the character then grab the bargain while you can.

Its funny coz they also had metroplex there.
Hopefully it'll be there at christmas at toys r us.

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th August 2012, 07:36 PM
OK, I've got one.

I've presently got a Hasbro Oil Slick waiting to be opened, cost me about $20 from Mandarake. Doubtful I can return it.
I can also get a resealed Takara Oil Slick for about $10, and the TT version looks a little better IMO.

Do I just go with the version I have already, or get the slightly prettier version the next time I go TF hunting and try to resell/trade the Hasbro version somewhere down the track?
Oil Slick isn't exactly an important figure in my collection, but $10 is pretty cheap to get a slightly prettier version. Bear in mind that I live in Japan, so the fact that it's a Takara TF isn't really that big a drawcard in and of itself.

Bidoofdude
20th August 2012, 07:59 PM
OK, I've got one.

I've presently got a Hasbro Oil Slick waiting to be opened, cost me about $20 from Mandarake. Doubtful I can return it.
I can also get a resealed Takara Oil Slick for about $10, and the TT version looks a little better IMO.

Do I just go with the version I have already, or get the slightly prettier version the next time I go TF hunting and try to resell/trade the Hasbro version somewhere down the track?
Oil Slick isn't exactly an important figure in my collection, but $10 is pretty cheap to get a slightly prettier version. Bear in mind that I live in Japan, so the fact that it's a Takara TF isn't really that big a drawcard in and of itself.

I'd go with tt as it would look better in a collection. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Bidoofdude
20th August 2012, 08:00 PM
Trypticon.

you're talking 'bout the upcoming hasbro one, right?

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th August 2012, 08:32 PM
you're talking 'bout the upcoming hasbro one, right?Yup. I've got the Takara MP10 and it's a great mold/TF to be sure, but it's just coming out now and will probably drop in price after a while - and/or you'll be able to find a 2nd-hand one on the boards for less at a later time.
Trypticon's price is likely to stay the same or go up over time and TakaraTomy don't seem very interested in reissuing him:(, so I'd grab him now while he's available at a reasonable price (for a vintage TF) and leave the easier-to-find-TF for later. Especially if you're a Trypticon fan.

Bidoofdude
20th August 2012, 08:36 PM
Yup. I've got the Takara MP10 and it's a great mold/TF to be sure, but it's just coming out now and will probably drop in price after a while - and/or you'll be able to find a 2nd-hand one on the boards for less at a later time.
Trypticon's price is likely to stay the same or go up over time and TakaraTomy don't seem very interested in reissuing him:(, so I'd grab him now while he's available at a reasonable price (for a vintage TF) and leave the easier-to-find-TF for later. Especially if you're a Trypticon fan.

I'll just check out all star comics first to make sure.

Starscream77
20th August 2012, 08:51 PM
I'll just check out all star comics first to make sure.

Tryp for sure if he is a decent price, as Ode said G1 stuff is harder to find and you should grab it while you can. I am backing OP to shelf warm a bit until a price drop

Ode to a Grasshopper
20th August 2012, 08:56 PM
I'll just check out all star comics first to make sure.Without knowing the background info there and assuming all-star comics is another hobby shop, it's worth shopping around as long as you're reasonably sure the first one will still be there if you don't find a better price.
Either way, make sure to check for completeness accessory-wise, finding G1 parts can end up pretty time-consuming and expensive and Trypticon has quite a few bits and pieces to lose. TFU.info is probably worth a look-see before buying. (http://www.tfu.info/1986/Decepticon/Trypticon/trypticon.htm)

Bidoofdude
20th August 2012, 08:56 PM
Tryp for sure if he is a decent price, as Ode said G1 stuff is harder to find and you should grab it while you can. I am backing OP to shelf warm a bit until a price drop

Tryp for $155 from store (CRU)

Starscream77
20th August 2012, 09:01 PM
Tryp for $155 from store (CRU)

Is it 100% complete? If so not too bad a price considering your not paying shipping

Bidoofdude
20th August 2012, 09:08 PM
I am not sure as when I went there I didn't look at the accessories (too busy drooling over my first look at g1s irl) but I am pretty sure I saw some purple thingomobobs that are his accesories. I'm gonna go check sometime but then again I can get them cheap off ebay and the like. No box btw. And is it me, but is g1 optimus prime a lot smaller than it looks in photos? A lot of those guys were waaaaaayyy smaller than I thought. Blitzwing's a midget lol.

GoktimusPrime
20th August 2012, 11:24 PM
And is it me, but is g1 optimus prime a lot smaller than it looks in photos? A lot of those guys were waaaaaayyy smaller than I thought. Blitzwing's a midget lol.
At 16cm Optimus Prime was the largest Autobot toy released in the first series of Transformers in 1984. He was also the second largest Transformer at the time, the tallest being Soundwave (18cm). Take a look at the Classicsverse & G1 Comparison thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9742) for a bunch of photos comparing contemporary Classicsverse toys with their G1 counterparts. In some cases the G1 toy is smaller, but in other cases they were bigger. It all depends -- but have a look through that thread and you'll see lots of side-by-side comparison photos.

Bidoofdude
21st August 2012, 07:05 PM
At 16cm Optimus Prime was the largest Autobot toy released in the first series of Transformers in 1984. He was also the second largest Transformer at the time, the tallest being Soundwave (18cm). Take a look at the Classicsverse & G1 Comparison thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=9742) for a bunch of photos comparing contemporary Classicsverse toys with their G1 counterparts. In some cases the G1 toy is smaller, but in other cases they were bigger. It all depends -- but have a look through that thread and you'll see lots of side-by-side comparison photos.
I know, I somehow expected it to be bigger. They are still quite awesome.

SuspectimusPrime
21st August 2012, 10:44 PM
I am not sure as when I went there I didn't look at the accessories (too busy drooling over my first look at g1s irl) but I am pretty sure I saw some purple thingomobobs that are his accesories. I'm gonna go check sometime but then again I can get them cheap off ebay and the like. No box btw. And is it me, but is g1 optimus prime a lot smaller than it looks in photos? A lot of those guys were waaaaaayyy smaller than I thought. Blitzwing's a midget lol.

Aside from getting an online checklist of its accessories, the other thing is to watch a few good Youtube reviews to get an understanding of how it transforms, and possible areas of breakage (if any) to look out for.

I know, I somehow expected it to be bigger. They are still quite awesome.

You should see G1 Blaster :)

Bidoofdude
22nd August 2012, 05:09 PM
Aside from getting an online checklist of its accessories, the other thing is to watch a few good Youtube reviews to get an understanding of how it transforms, and possible areas of breakage (if any) to look out for.

You should see G1 Blaster :)

I know,
HE IS HUMOUNGOUS!!!
I am pretty well informed on transformation. But is there any sites that give like a pdf of the instructions or something similar?

SuspectimusPrime
22nd August 2012, 07:46 PM
I know,
HE IS HUMOUNGOUS!!!
I am pretty well informed on transformation. But is there any sites that give like a pdf of the instructions or something similar?

Try this one (http://www.unicron.com/tfitem/itemimage_view.php?mode=instructions&itemID=342#) :)

Good luck with Trypticon. I was just at CRU this afternoon (scouring for MTMTE #8 without luck), and saw that your future-Trypticon was still sitting quietly in the corner.

GoktimusPrime
22nd August 2012, 10:32 PM
Also this (http://www.botchthecrab.com/archive/instructions/).

Bidoofdude
23rd August 2012, 07:52 PM
Try this one (http://www.unicron.com/tfitem/itemimage_view.php?mode=instructions&itemID=342#) :)

Good luck with Trypticon. I was just at CRU this afternoon (scouring for MTMTE #8 without luck), and saw that your future-Trypticon was still sitting quietly in the corner.

Did you happen to see its accesories and things of that nature (if any were there) sorry, I din't get the best look.

SuspectimusPrime
25th August 2012, 02:30 AM
Did you happen to see its accesories and things of that nature (if any were there) sorry, I din't get the best look.

I didn't get a get a good look either but I'll keep a keen eye out if I end up there this weekend :)

UltraMarginal
25th August 2012, 05:31 PM
So I've finally aded the last Human alliance Movie Character to my collection:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/UltraMarginal/UltraMarginals%20Transformers%20collection/2012-08-24202905-1.jpg

I wasn't interested in re-paints and am considering these to be my definitive version of each movie character. I don't think I'm missing anyone? I wish there was a Top Spin to go with the other two wreckers.

Now that I have them all I plan to set them free, I just have to choose an order to do so. I want to save the best to last, which will probably be Jazz as he's also a long standing favorite.

I have a tentative order list below list below:

bumblebee
skids
mudflap
leadfoot
roadbuster
sideswipe
soundwave
barricade
jazz.

Any suggestions?

M-bot
25th August 2012, 05:53 PM
Now that I have them all I plan to set them free, I just have to choose an order to do so. I want to save the best to last, which will probably be Jazz as he's also a long standing favorite.

Any suggestions?

Jazz is certainly my favourite of the ones I have, so a worthy "last" on your list.

I'd move Leadfoot closer to the top. Very disappointing figure IMO. The twins are quite solid, certainly better than any of their deluxe counterparts.

KalEl
25th August 2012, 06:00 PM
Jazz last for sure, you will not be disappointed

UltraMarginal
25th August 2012, 06:01 PM
I'd move Leadfoot closer to the top. Very disappointing figure IMO.
hmm, i've heard fairly negative things about him now that you mention it.

The twins are quite solid, certainly better than any of their deluxe counterparts.
That's not necessarily saying much:D I'll be happy to see Skids with a good toy for a change.

M-bot
26th August 2012, 08:57 AM
hmm, i've heard fairly negative things about him now that you mention it.

I get the aesthetic they are going for with the character - a pot-bellied soccer hooligan - but this toy just screams useless. The arms, hands and doors are particularly perplexing. The little dog ("Steeljaw" apparently) was left out of the movie, a victim of the editing room as I understand it. He's a little too cute and turns into the most ridiculous looking 'gun' you've ever seen.:rolleyes::)

That's not necessarily saying much:D

Now that you pointed it out, it does seem a really dumb think to say...:o:p

UltraMarginal
27th August 2012, 01:22 PM
Now that you pointed it out, it does seem a really dumb think to say...:o:p

I'll just be happy if Skids and Mudflap are better Transformations and robot modes than their deluxe counterparts, I found those to be very frustrating and disappointing. especially with nearly the entire vehicle mode just hanging off the back of the robot, not even folded up.
just looking at them in box, the vehicle modes are better.

SuspectimusPrime
27th August 2012, 01:51 PM

I managed to sneak a grainy photo of Trypticon. The stickers look well-kept, and the little purple car that forms his chest is there, but it didn't look like it has its tiny gun that attaches onto the back of it. How does it look to everyone else?

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/Suspectimus/IMG_5222-b-1.jpg

Bidoofdude
27th August 2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks man. Means a lot. And btw, are those Tryp's tech specs or someone elses. Its $155 if i recall.

SuspectimusPrime
28th August 2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks man. Means a lot. And btw, are those Tryp's tech specs or someone elses. Its $155 if i recall.

Good point, I didn't pay attention to that, but those tech specs do seem to belong to Trypty as it's just under the price tag.

Hursticon
28th August 2012, 02:05 PM

I have a tentative order list below list below:

bumblebee
skids
mudflap
leadfoot
roadbuster
sideswipe
soundwave
barricade
jazz.

Any suggestions?

I like the looks of that list but this is how I'd adjust it dude:

Sideswipe
Leadfoot
Roadbuster
Barricade
Skids
Mudflap
Bumblebee
Soundwave
Jazz

From what I've seen, heard/read & experienced myself - You're most likely to get the most enjoyment out of those last 3 molds but you could swap Barricade around with Skids & Mudflap if you wanted to. ;):)

UltraMarginal
28th August 2012, 03:29 PM
I like the looks of that list but this is how I'd adjust it dude:

Sideswipe
Leadfoot
Roadbuster
Barricade
Skids
Mudflap
Bumblebee
Soundwave
Jazz

From what I've seen, heard/read & experienced myself - You're most likely to get the most enjoyment out of those last 3 molds but you could swap Barricade around with Skids & Mudflap if you wanted to. ;):)

Wow, thanks for the input Hursti,
I did not expect to see Sideswipe at the start of that list!! I don't have any other sideswipes, is there a better deluxe mold of sideswipe?

M-bot
28th August 2012, 06:37 PM
I don't have any other sideswipes, is there a better deluxe mold of sideswipe?

IMO it's better than the ROTF deluxe. Bigger, more complex and interesting transformation and heaps better balanced. Very nice alt mode. On the negative side, his waist is quite narrow and it has a fair size back-pack kibble. There is a reasonably simple mod out there (on the TFW2005 boards I think) that largely fixes the back pack issues, so long as you don't mind attacking your TFs with a scalpel or dremel. ;)

UltraMarginal
29th August 2012, 10:41 AM
IMO it's better than the ROTF deluxe. Bigger, more complex and interesting transformation and heaps better balanced. Very nice alt mode. On the negative side, his waist is quite narrow and it has a fair size back-pack kibble. There is a reasonably simple mod out there (on the TFW2005 boards I think) that largely fixes the back pack issues, so long as you don't mind attacking your TFs with a scalpel or dremel. ;)

that's comforting, I was worried it was crap there for a second.

I am yet to do any serious modding to any of my transformers, I have a couple small projects in mind, probably wont start on this guy though, just in case I mess it up royally. :o

Slag
25th January 2013, 11:16 PM
What would be the better one to get. Boxed g1 cyclonus or boxed scourge..
I can't choose and i can get only one (i'm leaning towards scourge at this stage)

While i'm at it....
Giant type 61 or Hercules?

Trent
26th January 2013, 12:33 AM
I can't choose and i can get only one (i'm leaning towards scourge at this stage)

While i'm at it....

I'd go for Cyclonus. He was always my favourite series 3 Decepticon as a kid. To me Scourge was just a glorified grunt.

As for Giant or Herc, whichever one you like the look of more. There are threads on TFW about both (there is even a comparison thread) so you have pretty much all the available info over there. As far as personal opinion, I picked Giant and he is awesome. Such a great representation of Devastator and the individual bots are great to. They are great in hand, the pics on the interwebz do not do the set justice. That said I am hoping the TFC Perseus set drops in price, as that colour scheme is pretty cool and any excuse to own another combiner right?!:D

5FDP
26th January 2013, 11:05 PM

While i'm at it....

If we're talking Targetmasters here the obvious choice is Scourge. He's harder to come by and therefore worth more.

Can't help you with the other part of your question as I only collect Transformers ;) :p

Bidoofdude
27th January 2013, 03:56 PM
Should I have got the Universe Challenge at Cybertron set instead of the battle in space RTS set? I really like that Galvatron but I want to know if it would have been better to get that one. I'm not wondering about buying choices- just to know.;):cool:

Slag
29th January 2013, 10:21 PM
If we're talking Targetmasters here the obvious choice is Scourge. He's harder to come by and therefore worth more.

Yeah i'm just talking "run of the mill" releases..... The targetmaster decision has been made.... both is the answer:p still gotta find one though..

Can't help you with the other part of your question as I only collect Transformers ;) :p Fair comment..:)

Cheers Trent.. I'm leaning toward Giant just quietly. i like the head sculpt better.. but herc is big:rolleyes:

DELTAprime
30th January 2013, 09:31 PM
I'm getting back into collecting and I'm trying to decide between 3 figures.

1) TM2 Megatron
2) any Takara Reissue G1 Megatron
3) MP-11 Starscream

I have a Season 1 and TM Megatron so I'm not sure TM2 Megs is really needed in the collection. I have a MISB G1 Megatron but I'd still like one to put loose on my Megatron/Galvatron shelf. And I am a big Seekers fan and have one of each of the other Takara MP's including the MP-03 USA edition, so MP-11 would be a replacement.

Bidoofdude
30th January 2013, 09:34 PM
United (gun) Megatron or TW-01 Hegemon. I'm leaning towards Hegemon, since his appearance appeals to me more.

Megatron
30th January 2013, 09:42 PM
United (gun) Megatron or TW-01 Hegemon. I'm leaning towards Hegemon, since his appearance appeals to me more.

Both. ;)

Bidoofdude
30th January 2013, 09:45 PM
I can only afford one or the other...-_-:D Both look really good. (well it is Megs:rolleyes::p)

Paulbot
30th January 2013, 10:04 PM
I don't buy the 3rd Party toys but I am very close to buying Green Giant. I think it looks awesome in comparison. Extra details on the truck modes make the toys look more realistic to the more toy-like Hercules and make the combined form very impressive.

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th January 2013, 10:17 PM
I have these guys like this.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_1466_zps013db1a1.jpg

But recently have acquired these empty boxes.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_1467_zps978e0f69.jpg

Should I make the switch and ditch the US boxes?

The only thing I really prefer on the US ones is the artwork. I prefer it to the fat-hands versions on the TFC boxes...

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2013, 10:20 PM
I have these guys like this.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/th_IMG_1466_zps013db1a1.jpg

But recently have acquired these empty boxes.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/th_IMG_1467_zps978e0f69.jpg

Should I make the switch and ditch the US boxes?

The only thing I really prefer on the US ones is the artwork. I prefer it to the fat-hands versions on the TFC boxes...
So cut the artwork out and ditch the boxes? Or flatten the US boxes and ditch the innards.

Considering that you're still a minor (and thus unable to apply for a VIC Gunformer permit), I would recommend United Megatron. There are no legal restrictions on United Megatron. If you want Hegemon then an adult in your household would need to get the permit.* Be aware that obtaining the permit has certain requirements, and if VIC laws are like NSW, then it'd include:
+ The toy must be kept in secured storage. Does not need to be wall mounted, but it must have a lock on it.
+ The room where the toy is stored must have a lock on the door and any windows.
+ If the room where the toy is stored is on the ground floor, then there must also be security bars/grill outside the window (if it is upstairs, then you are exempt from this rule).

----------------------------------------
*if you want to become the owner of this toy after you turn 18, then the former adult owner may opt not to renew their permit when it expires, and you can then apply for the permit under your name. All the secure storage stuff would already be set up for you.

Bidoofdude
30th January 2013, 10:22 PM
Hegemon isn't classified under these rules though, IIRC.

SuspectimusPrime
30th January 2013, 10:43 PM

1) TM2 Megatron
3) MP-11 Starscream

I have a Season 1 and TM Megatron so I'm not sure TM2 Megs is really needed in the collection. I have a MISB G1 Megatron but I'd still like one to put loose on my Megatron/Galvatron shelf. And I am a big Seekers fan and have one of each of the other Takara MP's including the MP-03 USA edition, so MP-11 would be a replacement.

TM2 Megatron (BW fan bias). Definitely my favourite out of all the BW Megatron incarnations. In concept, it seems very simple to stand a dragon up and have his head become the left arm, but the transformation is slightly more difficult than the previous two Megatrons. The end result is a very well executed and playable toy :)

Definitely Hegemon (which I am still yet to own, and also note my bias towards superior ingenuity ;)). United Megatron probably has the nicest paint job out of the 3 available versions, but its still a crud toy -- unless you plan on keeping it in alt mode as a pew pew blaster. Arm/leg articulation does not feel sufficient for a post-BW toy, and comparably less playable than its Wave-mates Classics Prime and Classics Jetfire.

Kazza
30th January 2013, 11:35 PM
Speaking of Hedgemon, there's a shop on bourke st that has one in the store for like $199 to my memory and a MP-05 Megatron for $400, doubt they have a gun license to sell it.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2013, 11:36 PM
Hegemon isn't classified under these rules though, IIRC.
http://en.wikialpha.org/wiki/images/b/b3/Hegemon-toyalt.jpg
^That looks like it's modelled after G1 Megatron's Walther P38 gun mode. Remember that the law covers replica gun toys, it doesn't single out individual toys like "MP Megatron," or "G1 Megatron," or "Browning" etc. If the toy's alt mode is modelled after an actual gun and it can be held like a gun, then it can be classified as a replica firearm. My suspicion is that this toy would be classified as a replica firearm.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34442
^Click and download the PDF file called "Quick Guide to Imitation, Toy & Other firearm paraphernalia." Scroll down to where it says "Toy Firearms" and take note of 'defining characteristic' #3:
-----------------------------------------
(Toy firearms) have a resemblance to a firearm, however their appearance
cannot be mistaken for a working firearm by a reasonable person
due to the presence of at least one of the following characteristics:
• Their shape and size is of a kind not associated with a working
firearm; and/or
• The barrel and/or butt is of a colour not normally associated with a
working firearm, particularly if it is bright, fluorescent, or multi
coloured; and/or
• The composition suggests it is clearly manufactured using material
of a kind not associated with a working firearm—such as
transparent or coloured plastic.
-----------------------------------------
Hegemon's shape and size resembles a Walther P-38. United Megatron's alt mode is a Nerf N-Strike Maverick toy. When I first got Henkei Megatron, I asked the Megatron Club if I needed to keep that toy in safe storage, but I was told it wasn't necessary as this toy doesn't fall under the classification of an imitation firearm.

Victoria Police Centre Switchboard: 92476666 (Weekdays 7:00-19:00)

Speaking of Hedgemon, there's a shop on bourke st that has one in the store for like $199 to my memory and a MP-05 Megatron for $400, doubt they have a gun license to sell it.
Well there you have it. :) If a store needs a licence to sell that toy, surely people would equally need a permit to own one.

Btw, it's "Hegemon," not "Hedgemon" (say "Heg (rhyming with "beg") - eh -mon"). It Greek for "dominator." :) I'm not into 3rd Party toys, but I must admit that Hegemon is a really clever and awesome name for this toy. :D

SuspectimusPrime
30th January 2013, 11:45 PM

Way overpriced, but pretty cool that they're showing up in specialty stores. Is this a new store?

SuspectimusPrime
30th January 2013, 11:51 PM
Well there you have it. :) If a store needs a licence to sell that toy, surely people would equally need a permit to own one.

Btw, it's "Hegemon," not "Hedgemon" (say "Heg (rhyming with "beg") - eh -mon"). It Greek for "dominator." :) I'm not into 3rd Party toys, but I must admit that Hegemon is a really clever and awesome name for this toy. :D

Off topic, but is hegemon pronounced differently to hegemony? Back in uni our management lecturer would always pronounce hegemony as in "hedge" or "hej".

Kazza
30th January 2013, 11:58 PM
It's in shop 22 of Paramount Centre on bourke st.

SuspectimusPrime
31st January 2013, 12:34 AM
It's in shop 22 of Paramount Centre on bourke st.

I think that place sold KO One Piece stuff, the large Portrait of Pirate figurines, but they also sold RTS Voyagers for $40 in 2011 :)

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2013, 10:20 AM
Off topic, but is hegemon pronounced differently to hegemony? Back in uni our management lecturer would always pronounce hegemony as in "hedge" or "hej".
*checks.dictionary* Ooh, you're right! I've always pronounced it as "heg" though, but I guess it's because I'm going off the original Greek pronunciation (ηγεμονία). Either way there's no "d" in its spelling. :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st January 2013, 05:29 PM
TM2 Megatron (BW fan bias). Definitely my favourite out of all the BW Megatron incarnations. In concept, it seems very simple to stand a dragon up and have his head become the left arm, but the transformation is slightly more difficult than the previous two Megatrons. The end result is a very well executed and playable toy :)
I concur with this.
Dragon Megs is a beautiful toy.

And shiny

Bidoofdude
31st January 2013, 05:34 PM
I think that place sold KO One Piece stuff, the large Portrait of Pirate figurines, but they also sold RTS Voyagers for $40 in 2011 :)

Are they still there? 'Coz I could use a Grapple.

SuspectimusPrime
1st February 2013, 05:36 AM

Sorry Bidoof, I'm no longer in Melb (updating location... now!). I wasn't interested at first, but later got a MISB one off eBay for $35 including shipping - the seller used the misspelling 'Grappel' and received very little amount of watchers :)

KalEl
1st February 2013, 06:53 AM
I have one in my sales dude CLICK (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=13369)

Bidoofdude
1st February 2013, 11:55 AM
It's not of much importance. Just wanted to know really. Thanks for the offer though KalEl.:cool:

1orion2many
1st February 2013, 12:53 PM

1) TM2 Megatron
3) MP-11 Starscream

I'm a Beasties fan myself so I'd say TM2 Megs but you have to watch out for GPS on the figure as people have had them break during transformation.

DELTAprime
1st February 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm a Beasties fan myself so I'd say TM2 Megs but you have to watch out for GPS on the figure as people have had them break during transformation.

That's 2 votes for TM2 Megs, I'll pick him up, but I should probably also pickup a MP-11 at some point also being a Seekers fan.

EDIT: BTW I am thinking about picking up an Encore Fort Max, anyone have good arguments either for or against getting him?

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2013, 11:23 AM
So, my MP Soundwave is currently sitting in my friend's place in Japan (he's been sick so hasn't mailed it to me yet). MP Rumble/Ravage doesn't come out until Feb 23, and MP Frenzy/Buzzsaw doesn't come out until Mar 23.

So should I...
Option 1: Get ALL of these MPs sent to me after Mar 23, which means paying only x1 for postage, but meaning that I won't get MP Soundwave until late March. :(
Option 2: Get each of these MPs sent to me ASAP, thus paying x3 postage
Option 3: Get MP Soundwave sent first, and have the cassettes all sent after Mar 23 together? (thus x2 lots of postage) -- because I'm more likely to save money from sending 2 small packages together... Soundwave is probably big enough that sending him separately or with the cassettes wouldn't save me money on postage.

What would you guys do if in my position? I'm erring toward Option 3...

DELTAprime
2nd February 2013, 11:36 AM
I'd get them all sent ASAP, but I'm impatient.

Bidoofdude
2nd February 2013, 12:12 PM
I'd go with option three. Seems like the fastest but efficient method out of all of them.:cool:

Magnus
2nd February 2013, 09:01 PM
I'm inclined to say option one, but I can see why option three is tempting.

Trent
2nd February 2013, 09:04 PM
Common sense says option 1…

But I'd go with option 3 :)

Hursticon
2nd February 2013, 10:22 PM
Go with option 3 Goki - If only because you'd get to experience the unbridled awesomeness that is Masterpiece Soundwave, without the attention being taken away by various 'Minions'. ;):cool:

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2013, 10:27 PM
Heheh, thanks guys... yeah, Option 3's looking good. :) And he does come with Laserbeak that should tie me over to explore the tape storage gimmick. Given the size of this toy's box, I don't think I'd save any money having it sent with the cassettes, but the cassettes should be small enough that I would save money buy having them sent together in late March. I guess I just have to be patient when other people receive their Rumble/Ravages a month before I do! :p

Trent
2nd February 2013, 10:33 PM
Heheh, thanks guys... yeah, Option 3's looking good. :) And he does come with Laserbeak that should tie me over to explore the tape storage gimmick. Given the size of this toy's box, I don't think I'd save any money having it sent with the cassettes, but the cassettes should be small enough that I would save money buy having them sent together in late March. I guess I just have to be patient when other people receive their Rumble/Ravages a month before I do! :p

How good is your mate with TFs? As a few people have had problems with laserbeak, it might be worth getting him to open it and check for any problems before he ships it to you. Could save you a bit of hassle if you did get a dud.

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2013, 11:13 PM
I'd like to be the first to open my Laserbeak. If there's any issues I'll contact TakaraTOMY.

KalEl
3rd February 2013, 12:32 AM
Do i open my Rid Megatron? Someone get me excited to open him up lol

GoktimusPrime
3rd February 2013, 12:51 AM
!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!! He transforms into ten modes, and his swords can be used separately or combine into a double-bladed sabre like Darth Maul (AND they can shoot out like missiles!). Not all the modes are great, but some of them are decent. The dragon mode is my favourite. :)

KalEl
3rd February 2013, 12:56 AM
!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!! He transforms into ten modes, and his swords can be used separately or combine into a double-bladed sabre like Darth Maul (AND they can shoot out like missiles!). Not all the modes are great, but some of them are decent. The dragon mode is my favourite. :)

6 modes :P he is the megs not the re-tooled galvy

GoktimusPrime
3rd February 2013, 01:15 AM
6 modes :P he is the megs not the re-tooled galvy
There's no retooling.

Originally you had Car Robot Gigatron who can only transform into 6 modes. Then they released Devil Gigatron who was retooled to transform into 10 modes. When Hasbro did Robots In Disguise, they took the Devil Gigatron mould and used it for _both_ Megatron and Galvatron. Megatron was marketed as having 6 modes and Galvatron marketed as having 10, but in reality BOTH can transform into all 10 modes because they're the same exact mould. The only retooling Hasbro did to this toy was rounded off the tips of the missiles.

Kazza
3rd February 2013, 01:47 AM

Do it Kalel...the claw/hand mode ftw!!!

SuspectimusPrime
3rd February 2013, 02:00 AM
There's no retooling.

Originally you had Car Robot Gigatron who can only transform into 6 modes. Then they released Devil Gigatron who was retooled to transform into 10 modes. When Hasbro did Robots In Disguise, they took the Devil Gigatron mould and used it for _both_ Megatron and Galvatron. Megatron was marketed as having 6 modes and Galvatron marketed as having 10, but in reality BOTH can transform into all 10 modes because they're the same exact mould. The only retooling Hasbro did to this toy was rounded off the tips of the missiles.

That's really interesting. I skipped on the mould the first time but am really interested in the Botcon 2005 Deathsaurus release. Would you know if that mould is also able to transform into all ten modes?

GoktimusPrime
3rd February 2013, 09:11 AM
That's really interesting. I skipped on the mould the first time but am really interested in the Botcon 2005 Deathsaurus release. Would you know if that mould is also able to transform into all ten modes?
I've never seen Deathsaurus IRL myself, but according to TFwiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Deathsaurus#Timelines):
"Deathsaurus's mold was originally a ten-changer, though the "gargoyle"/bat mode was neutered for this release due to the dropping of the bat snout piece, required to give his new head enough space inside his chest cavity for other modes. He still retains the other nine modes (robot, dragster, jet, two-headed dragon, hand, mammoth, hydrofoil, one-headed dragon, and winged griffin). His instructions, however, assign him the six modes of the original RID Megatron, including the gargoyle and omitting the boat, griffin, mammoth and flying dragon. His tail-piece was removed for in-box storage, but easily popped back on since it's on a ball-and-socket joint."

SuspectimusPrime
3rd February 2013, 03:14 PM
I've never seen Deathsaurus IRL myself, but according to TFwiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Deathsaurus#Timelines):
"Deathsaurus's mold was originally a ten-changer, though the "gargoyle"/bat mode was neutered for this release due to the dropping of the bat snout piece, required to give his new head enough space inside his chest cavity for other modes. He still retains the other nine modes (robot, dragster, jet, two-headed dragon, hand, mammoth, hydrofoil, one-headed dragon, and winged griffin). His instructions, however, assign him the six modes of the original RID Megatron, including the gargoyle and omitting the boat, griffin, mammoth and flying dragon. His tail-piece was removed for in-box storage, but easily popped back on since it's on a ball-and-socket joint."

Thanks, Gok :)

Jetfire in the sky
4th February 2013, 12:30 PM

Don't do it!!! Buy a loose one to *ahem* play with. He displays so well in the box. Admittedly he is a good one to play with too :p although I no longer have a loose one just one securely tucked away in his sealed home where he should be :D

KalEl
6th February 2013, 10:45 PM
Don't do it!!! Buy a loose one to *ahem* play with. He displays so well in the box. Admittedly he is a good one to play with too :p although I no longer have a loose one just one securely tucked away in his sealed home where he should be :D

i dont really collect misb, and dont really want to buy another :$

Jetfire in the sky
7th February 2013, 06:18 PM
i dont really collect misb, and dont really want to buy another :$

Then you have your answer :-) OPEN IT NOW!!! :D:D:D

KalEl
7th February 2013, 11:31 PM
Then you have your answer :-) OPEN IT NOW!!! :D:D:D

Opening tomorrow once i've edited my reviews :)

UltraMarginal
8th February 2013, 01:26 PM

Per what others have said, consider our gun laws and your status as a minor with reference to Hegemon.
also; I've seen it in person, and while it looks fairly nice, I also noticed that the ratchet joints in the legs seemed to be chewing themselves up a bit, I'd like to hear form someone who's had one for a few months as to how well it stands after a dozen or so transformations and posing in different positions.
The Takara megs has not likelihood of being seized by customs.

That's 2 votes for TM2 Megs, I'll pick him up, but I should probably also pickup a MP-11 at some point also being a Seekers fan.

EDIT: BTW I am thinking about picking up an Encore Fort Max, anyone have good arguments either for or against getting him?

I'm not a beast wars collector so I can't really give an opinion here.

as for Fort Max:
+ it's Fortress Frickin Maximus
+ He's huge and imposing on a shelf
+ If you're like me and always wanted one, this is the cheapest way of getting a good quality version of the toy.

- He's Huge and Imposing on a shelf. Do you have room for it, either stored or on display?
-It's still $300 plus shipping. which is a lot of money for a single toy.

I have one pre-ordered and paid for. so you know which way I'm swinging on this one.

So, my MP Soundwave is currently sitting in my friend's place in Japan (he's been sick so hasn't mailed it to me yet). MP Rumble/Ravage doesn't come out until Feb 23, and MP Frenzy/Buzzsaw doesn't come out until Mar 23.

So should I...
Option 1: Get ALL of these MPs sent to me after Mar 23, which means paying only x1 for postage, but meaning that I won't get MP Soundwave until late March. :(
Option 2: Get each of these MPs sent to me ASAP, thus paying x3 postage
Option 3: Get MP Soundwave sent first, and have the cassettes all sent after Mar 23 together? (thus x2 lots of postage) -- because I'm more likely to save money from sending 2 small packages together... Soundwave is probably big enough that sending him separately or with the cassettes wouldn't save me money on postage.

What would you guys do if in my position? I'm erring toward Option 3...

Wait till your friend is better before you hassle him about being your Plastic Crack Mule.:D

Then go with option 3. though march 23 is only about 7 weeks away.

I don't collect RID but there aren't any sealed transformers in my collection that I don't plan on opening at some point so, I say open it when you're ready.

My Question:
if you look at my animated wants list, there isn't much left on there.

Animated RAMJET just appeared on eBay today, it's $80, which is off the charts for an activator. Do I pick it up or wait to see if the price comes down, or wait to see if another pops up in 6 more months that might be cheaper or more expensive.

keeping in mind that the majority of my Animated Collection is still sealed because I've collected it over the course of a year or so since the 2011 Botcon and plan to take photos of it all sealed before I crack it at some point down the road.

None of my animated is displayed right now as my limited display space is being used for Prime and FOC while it's current.

I'm not really in a hurry for it but I realise it's fairly rare and this could be one of those opportunities where you just can't afford to pass it up. "No matter the cost"

KalEl
9th February 2013, 12:12 PM
My Question:
if you look at my animated wants list, there isn't much left on there.

Animated RAMJET just appeared on eBay today, it's $80, which is off the charts for an activator. Do I pick it up or wait to see if the price comes down, or wait to see if another pops up in 6 more months that might be cheaper or more expensive.

keeping in mind that the majority of my Animated Collection is still sealed because I've collected it over the course of a year or so since the 2011 Botcon and plan to take photos of it all sealed before I crack it at some point down the road.

None of my animated is displayed right now as my limited display space is being used for Prime and FOC while it's current.

I'm not really in a hurry for it but I realise it's fairly rare and this could be one of those opportunities where you just can't afford to pass it up. "No matter the cost"

flip a coin bro, i'd say wait a bit but it depends if it really is a must have now!
Any other animated you after?

GoktimusPrime
9th February 2013, 07:44 PM
I'd pass it.

Paulbot
9th February 2013, 07:51 PM
I recall quite a few Ramjets sitting around in Hong Kong. I think wait for a better price, or a trip to HK. It's not really worth breaking the bank for, especially if your collection is primarily US Animated(?).

UltraMarginal
11th February 2013, 07:11 AM
flip a coin bro, i'd say wait a bit but it depends if it really is a must have now!
Any other animated you after?

I'd pass it.

I recall quite a few Ramjets sitting around in Hong Kong. I think wait for a better price, or a trip to HK. It's not really worth breaking the bank for, especially if your collection is primarily US Animated(?).

Thanks for the fedback guys, it was gone, purchased at $100 by the end of the day. no bidding, someone just Bought it Now (then)

though another has popped up from the same seller today, at $100 with a BIN at $120. based on Paulbots recollection, I think I will wait for a bit, mybe see if I know anyone going over who might be able to source one at retail. I'd be OK with $50 for it I think.

Kal El, I have a link to my remaining wnts in my sig, check it out.

Shirokaze
11th February 2013, 11:16 AM
I've recently moved house and as such, my collection will remain packed away due to space limitations with the exception of few Masterpieces and newer figures.

I usually make an effort to open all my figures, so when I came across G2 Generations Bruticus which has been boxed since he arrived from Amazon a couple of months ago, I hit a stumbling block.

G2 Bruticus looks absolutely fantastic in the box, so I'm reluctant to open it up. Problem is I don't have any other versions of this mold, and I'm really itching to transform him.

What say you Ozformers? Should I open him, or am I not missing out on much?

BigTransformerTrev
11th February 2013, 12:12 PM
I've recently moved house and as such, my collection will remain packed away due to space limitations with the exception of few Masterpieces and newer figures.

I usually make an effort to open all my figures, so when I came across G2 Generations Bruticus which has been boxed since he arrived from Amazon a couple of months ago, I hit a stumbling block.

G2 Bruticus looks absolutely fantastic in the box, so I'm reluctant to open it up. Problem is I don't have any other versions of this mold, and I'm really itching to transform him.

You've always got the option of taking him out of the box, having a play and then putting him back in. I'm seriously considering doing that as I have G2 Brute, but only 4 of the 5 regular coloured ones (I was going to buy the brown version of Blast Off, but for $37 I don't know if I can justify it).

SuspectimusPrime
11th February 2013, 03:16 PM
@Shirokaze: Is there an Ozformer nearby a version of that mould for you to check out? G2 Brute is beautiful in its box, but you may be sorely disappointed by its engineering - feel free to disagree once you've played with one :) The toys are just too hollow and lightweight for my liking.

@BigTransformerTrev: The Brown Takara Blastoff matches his IDW very well, but I can't justify that amount for him either. However at $37, shiny purple Takara Generations Senator Ratbat is a must!! :p

GoktimusPrime
11th February 2013, 03:47 PM
You've always got the option of taking him out of the box, having a play and then putting him back in.
^agreed. It's not like carded Hasbro toys where once you open the bubble there's no way of putting it back in packaging for in-box display again. :)

SMHFConvoy
11th February 2013, 04:21 PM
Welp, I'm only interested in the predacons from beast hunters. Maybe, magnus, maybe voyager BH prime and shockwave. Generations Orion Pax only to customise. I'm definitely interested in the Cyberverse stuff, although not the play sets.

1orion2many
11th February 2013, 07:17 PM
I made a decision recently to pretty much stick to the MP line this year as there is enough coming out to keep me happy. I was hoping for some inspiring BeastBots but they have been very uninspiring to say the least. The FOC line isn't all that impressive either though I am interested in Metro:). Anyone else thinking this way at the moment?

Shirokaze
12th February 2013, 08:42 AM
You've always got the option of taking him out of the box, having a play and then putting him back in.

Alrighty, it's decided! I think I'll attempt this. No cutting all the twist ties like I usually do :p

BigTransformerTrev
12th February 2013, 12:29 PM
@BigTransformerTrev: The Brown Takara Blastoff matches his IDW very well, but I can't justify that amount for him either. However at $37, shiny purple Takara Generations Senator Ratbat is a must!! :p

I just had a look at Robot Kingdom, instead of my usual BBTS. It has Takara Blast Off for $31 and Senator Ratbat for $27.90, though annoyingly it said 'In Stock' for Ratbat and when I clicked on him it changed to 'Availbale June 2013'. However their Hasbro Grimlock is like $11 more expensive than BBTS so who knows what to trust in this crazy mixed-up world ;)

5FDP
12th February 2013, 01:52 PM
I always buy from RK and yes, when it says 'available now' it can be a bit confusing / misleading. I guess I'm just used to reading the description to ensure it actually is in stock. Having said that, if it's something I'm after, I'll know in advance before placing an order if it is available now or a future toy release.

SuspectimusPrime
12th February 2013, 03:02 PM
I just had a look at Robot Kingdom, instead of my usual BBTS. It has Takara Blast Off for $31 and Senator Ratbat for $27.90, though annoyingly it said 'In Stock' for Ratbat and when I clicked on him it changed to 'Availbale June 2013'. However their Hasbro Grimlock is like $11 more expensive than BBTS so who knows what to trust in this crazy mixed-up world ;)

I always buy from RK and yes, when it says 'available now' it can be a bit confusing / misleading. I guess I'm just used to reading the description to ensure it actually is in stock. Having said that, if it's something I'm after, I'll know in advance before placing an order if it is available now or a future toy release.

That's how I ended up waiting 4 extra months for my Maketoys Giant :p Quite surprised that they're selling Grimlock for more, but RK has had a habit of adjusting their prices (usually upwards) if an item sells well. I think their Generations GDO Voyagers box of 4 were $120 at one time, but after selling like hotcakes they adjusted their second batch to $160. eHobbybase did the same, it seems like they roughly peg their prices against RK. However sometimes RK pre-orders have the effect of dragging down BBTS prices.

UltraMarginal
12th February 2013, 04:51 PM

Looks like you're going ahead with it, which is what I would have suggested. along with others, it should be pretty easy to put him back in.

I made a decision recently to pretty much stick to the MP line this year as there is enough coming out to keep me happy. I was hoping for some inspiring BeastBots but they have been very uninspiring to say the least. The FOC line isn't all that impressive either though I am interested in Metro:). Anyone else thinking this way at the moment?

not entirely.
I was thinking that this year looked a little light on for me with all the prime series re-moulds not being on my radar.

I was planning on grabbing the show relevant beasts and extras like smokescreen, the few remaining FOC figures I don't have, and MP soundwave when he hit here and saving my cash for later on when more MP's hit and maybe saving the rest for a 2014 botcon trip.

now though, the Metroplex (like you I can't pass this up), the triple changers, the IDW inspired figures, new legion classics (maybe not the prime). I'm probably going to put a lid on my Kreo collecting so I cam make sure of being able to get everything else. and Third party purchases are not even a maybe now that there's soo much Hasbro/Takara Stuff coming up. Not to mention further 30 year celebration figures that haven't been announced yet.

Bidoofdude
12th February 2013, 06:40 PM
Looks like you're going ahead with it, which is what I would have suggested. along with others, it should be pretty easy to put him back in.

not entirely.
I was thinking that this year looked a little light on for me with all the prime series re-moulds not being on my radar.

I was planning on grabbing the show relevant beasts and extras like smokescreen, the few remaining FOC figures I don't have, and MP soundwave when he hit here and saving my cash for later on when more MP's hit and maybe saving the rest for a 2014 botcon trip.

now though, the Metroplex (like you I can't pass this up), the triple changers, the IDW inspired figures, new legion classics (maybe not the prime). I'm probably going to put a lid on my Kreo collecting so I cam make sure of being able to get everything else. and Third party purchases are not even a maybe now that there's soo much Hasbro/Takara Stuff coming up. Not to mention further 30 year celebration figures that haven't been announced yet.

I'll also probably have to do a lot of limiting my buying now, with Blitzwing, Metroplex and Hasbro MP Soundwave.

DarkHyren
16th February 2013, 08:20 PM
Hi everyone. After another long hiatus I am getting back into collecting again.
I'm humming and harring over a few things at the moment, trying to decide if I should go after G1 goodnessy reissues, acquire some Masterpieces (which then begs the question, Hasbro or TakTomy), or continue trying to finish off my Classics/Universe/Generations sets?

The news about the Encore Fortress Maximus has sort of started a fire in me to want to collect more G1 reissues, sort of relive the old days of my childhood.
But then I think, well Masterpiece toys are like having those childhood toys back just in a more awesome form.
But then the collector in me really wants to try and finish what I've started (ie. CHUG).

So yeah, opinions are most welcome, what should I blow a load of cash on first?

GoktimusPrime
16th February 2013, 09:16 PM
I just gets 'em all. :p I dunno, it's up to you dude. In terms of MPs, I'd recommend Hasbro.

GoktimusPrime
17th February 2013, 09:55 PM
RE: This vent about my recent Movieverse Ramjet acquisition (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=342635&postcount=206)

-----------------------

So technically this toy should still be able to transform, but the jet mode would be missing the stabiliser wings and nosecone. Is this enough to warrant this toy as a "junker"?

The reason why I never got this toy when it came out was because:
1) It was expensive
2) I was never that much a fan of the TF1 Voyager Starscream mould to get any of the repaints/retools

"So why did you buy this toy now?"
Since 2007 I've acquired movieverse Dirge, movieverse Thrust (for heaps cheap), DotM Thundercracker and DotM Skywarp. So Ramjet has since become the only G1 seeker character from the movieverse that I didn't have. So I just want one to complete the set.

Given this reason, I'm wondering if I should:
+ just accept it and include this toy in my collection (even in its damaged and incomplete state, I paid $15 for a Voyager), or
+ take it back to the next Fair and ask for an exchange/refund, or
+ perhaps offload it to someone else as customising fodder
:confused:

lancalot
18th February 2013, 12:10 AM
RE: This vent about my recent Movieverse Ramjet acquisition (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=342635&postcount=206)

-----------------------

So technically this toy should still be able to transform, but the jet mode would be missing the stabiliser wings and nosecone. Is this enough to warrant this toy as a "junker"?

1) It was expensive
2) I was never that much a fan of the TF1 Voyager Starscream mould to get any of the repaints/retools

Since 2007 I've acquired movieverse Dirge, movieverse Thrust (for heaps cheap), DotM Thundercracker and DotM Skywarp. So Ramjet has since become the only G1 seeker character from the movieverse that I didn't have. So I just want one to complete the set.

+ just accept it and include this toy in my collection (even in its damaged and incomplete state, I paid $15 for a Voyager), or

i think you should keep him , cause he got a good story with him now...the last seeker that happen to be fuked up , battle damage from the long acquisition time of 5yr?! lol:D and a fair bargain that turn lemon

SuspectimusPrime
18th February 2013, 12:24 AM

-----------------------

1) It was expensive

He's a Ramjet that has lost the capacity for future ramming-related endeavours, so I'd consider it a junker.

* Would you be content on displaying him only in robot mode?
* The seller's service does not sound great, but if you believe that there's a good chance he's returning, and that you can extract a refund from him, then bring it back in May(?).

Ae-Evolution
18th February 2013, 01:17 AM
My MISB/NIB stuff, should I open them? I have some older figures and new figures. I have a really odd mind set when it comes to collecting. In my room I have the following collections; Lego, Halo figures, Transformers, Nerf, Gundam, Games and various other cool toys.

My parents recently had a chat to me about all.my nib stuff in my room and some floating around the house, they asked me why don't I open them and I said to hold value. And it got me thinking, is it really worth it keeping single figures nib without having a collection of the series. I got my first masterpiece ever and it sits nib on a speaker, is it really worth keeping for value or just opening and played with and displayed as pleased?

Another problem they addressed was my closet, half Nerf armoury, half empty boxes, bubbles and backing cards. I'm curious to why I even keep them and my 'rents keep trying to throw them out and i keep stopping them. I do have this issue about all.my items maintaining value. What do you guys do with all the following items?

Kazza
18th February 2013, 12:44 PM
My NIB stuff, should I open them? I have some older figures and new figures. I have a really odd mind set when it comes to collecting. In my room I have the following collections; Lego, Halo figures, Transformers, Nerf, Gundam, Games and various other cool toys.

My parents recently had a chat to me about all.my nib stuff in my room and some floating around the house, they asked me why don't I open them and I said to hold value. And it got me thinking, is it really worth it keeping single figures nib without having a collection of the series. I got my first masterpiece ever and it sits nib on a speaker, is it really worth keeping for value or just opening and played with and displayed as pleased?

Another problem they addressed was my closet, half Nerf armoury, half empty boxes, bubbles and backing cards. I'm curious to why I even keep them and my 'rents keep trying to throw them out and i keep stopping them. I do have this issue about all.my items maintaining value. What do you guys do with all the following items?

I personally open everything i buy, even expensive stuff that i paid for will be opened, e.g. 2010 Unicron/Primus which set me back $500 and all the masterpieces i have (26) are opened and on display. To me these are toys and should be played with and transformed at least one. They will still keep their value as long as you keep everything belonging to them (box, instructions, inserts). The question is are you keeping them NIB so you can sell it in the future? Otherwise if you dont plan on selling them, then open them and play around with them.
Also i have a problem not knowing if there may be a QC issue with a toy that is sealed unless i open them up and check it myself.

This is just my opinion, obviously MISB collectors will advise differently.

GoktimusPrime
18th February 2013, 01:01 PM
I'm confused... are your toys MIB/MISB (Mint In Box/Mint In Sealed Box) or NMIB (Near Mint In Box)??? :confused: Cos a NMIB and MISB toy are two distinctly different things! e.g. I bought an Alternity Convoy (Vibrant Red) last year for about thirty-something bucks because it was NMIB -- the box had been opened, but the toy had never been transformed or played with). That made it about $20 cheaper than previous MISB Alternity TFs that I've purchased.

Another thing to keep in mind is that - generally speaking - toy collecting is a poor form of investing money. Some toys are worth collecting as investments, but most appreciate very poorly, and many toys go the other way and depreciate in value. e.g. 1985 Jumpstarters are notorious for being among the most depreciated early G1 figures. You can still find them loose for a few dollars (I bought a spare loose Topspin last year for eight bucks). Just yesterday I found Rescue Force 2 - a toy that was released exclusively in 1992 in European and Australasian markets; the seller had marked it for $5 and ended up giving it to me for free. :) I also saw a MISB Voyager Bulkhead for $30 -- $10 cheaper than its original RRP, and a MISB MP Rodimus for $60, $20 below its original RRP. Most toys depreciate in value, not appreciate.

Toy collecting should be something that you do for the enjoyment, and not because you see it as an investment. If you happen to genuinely enjoy collecting toys and keeping them sealed, then by all means do it. But if you're keeping them sealed contrary to what you find enjoyable, then I don't recommend that at all, and I reckon you should absolutely crack those babies open and play with them!! :D

If you want to invest your money, you're better off buying shares or blue chips on the stock market. Toys are a relatively poor form of investment.

Packaging wastes a LOT of space. I chuck most of my boxes and bubbles out. I keep my cards, but without bubbles. I have some boxes on display, but others that aren't discarded are flattened and put into flat-storage. I throw the inside trays away. But guys like griffin also flatten the inside trays and keep them in flat-storage too.

Another issue to consider is, if you're living with your parents, it's their house - and frankly any space outside your room is shared living space. I don't know why you'd have any Transformers there. When I was living at home I kept all my toys in my room (and I had about 300-odd Transformers at the time I moved out of home). Yes, my room was incredibly cramped... :p If your parents have allowed you a study/home office, then I could understand having toys there too. But surely they wouldn't be in any room that isn't designated as your personal space. Because otherwise they have every right to demand that you move it out of shared living space.

Ask yourself if you're actually collecting or are you hoarding toys? Because some of the symptoms of hoarding include:
+ The collected items take up a significant amount of living space, making it extremely cluttered to the point that the use of that space becomes impeded. e.g. unable to properly walk through places because the floor is messy, or unable to sit on chairs or use tables because they're cluttered with toys etc. - in extreme cases entire rooms may be rendered unusable (e.g. kitchens, corridors, bedrooms, bathrooms etc.)
+ Items may affect the maintenance of a safe home environment. e.g. If you've run out of storage/display space and your toys are now occupying floor space, then that presents a potential tripping hazard (if you did that in a workplace, you'd get busted for violating WH&S (formerly known as OH&S) regulations)
+ Are all of your sealed toys regarded as highly valuable to you? Keeping say a limited exclusive toy sealed is one thing... but if you're keeping everything sealed like say Bot Shots or Happy Meal toys and telling yourself that they're all for investments' sake, then it may be more hoarding over collecting... cos as I said, a LOT of toys actually go down in value, not up. If you're keeping toys sealed that are likely to appreciate (like say a ltd exclusive), then that's understandable -- limited exclusives usually appreciate (but not always, just look at MP Sunstorm! That sucker's depreciating something chronic! (which sucks for me as I bought it at full RRP - although thankfully I didn't keep it sealed... I'd feel even more foolish if I had)). If monetary investment is your primary reason for keeping toys sealed, then you ought to sort out which toys are WORTH keeping sealed. You'll find that most are not (unless you've been primarily collecting limited exclusive stuff).

In the mean time, I'd advise moving all your toys into YOUR living area(s) like your bedroom and/or study. None of your toys should be cluttering any shared living space IMHO.

Megatron
18th February 2013, 01:04 PM
My NIB stuff, should I open them? I have some older figures and new figures. I have a really odd mind set when it comes to collecting. In my room I have the following collections; Lego, Halo figures, Transformers, Nerf, Gundam, Games and various other cool toys.

I am a MISB collector, and whilst keeping them MISB will always hold the highest possible value especially in the long term, it is really up to you whether you keep them MISB or not. Of course, they will still have high value if they are opened, especially if you keep them mint and complete, but not as much as MISB (this is contestable for toys that come with batteries and/or have known problems with yellowing or deteriorating faster whilst sealed in packaging, but overall MISB will always fetch the highest prices compared to MIB or loose). Of course, certain toys will keep their value far better than others. So it really depends on what's most important to you as a collector, long term value/immediate resale value, or playability and display. There's no right or wrong answer.

My advice is that if you do decide to open them, just be absolutely sure you want to do this, or you may regret it in future, especially if you are uncertain and already have some reservations about opening them now.

1orion2many
18th February 2013, 03:35 PM
I could never understand MISB collectors, You might as well as own an empty cardboard box with some of the TF's as you can't see them. Sort of defeats the purpose of owning a Transformer. You might as well collect the Statues instead but that's just my opinion:o

Trent
18th February 2013, 04:34 PM
I could never understand MISB collectors, You might as well as own an empty cardboard box with some of the TF's as you can't see them. Sort of defeats the purpose of owning a Transformer. You might as well collect the Statues instead but that's just my opinion:o

Yeah I agree. The fun of a TF lies in its engineering. And to leave it sealed completely robs you of that experience.

But it takes all types and as long as you're happy than it matters not what others think.

Megatron
18th February 2013, 05:46 PM
That's a valid point but that's why a lot of MISB collectors will also buy duplicates in loose form for the ones they really want to enjoy and play with. MISB collecting is all about the idea of keeping a prized toy in its perfect, untouched, original state, for investment potential yes, but also for the ownership of something that can become the envy and holy grail of serious collectors many years later.

For example, I will buy loose toys of the ones I really like so I can play with them and use them in my comics, but I'll always want a MISB one as well in my collection.

GoktimusPrime
18th February 2013, 08:56 PM
Megatron: Feel free to vote on this poll (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5581) (likewise anyone else who may feel free to participate). There's also a discussion about different types of (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=129152&postcount=32) collectors (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=129243&postcount=34). I classify myself as a "Player." Megatron might see herself as a "Curator." :)

---------------------

Should I bother getting MP Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen from Japan or wait for a Hasbro release? On one hand I don't want to be "burned" like I got with Soundwave and the Cassettes... but on the other hand, I've heard that Hasbro has some issues with car licensing that might prevent them from releasing some MPs into their markets

nofacej
18th February 2013, 09:44 PM
G1 Fansproject Bruticus set w/ Asia exclusive Bruticus set or Fansproject not-Menasaur?

Leaning towards the FP n-M as Menasaur was one of my favourite G1 combiners along with Defensor as a kid, but FP BM is amazing and I know I'll regret not having it if I don't get it... if only funds weren't so tight and I could have both!

SuspectimusPrime
18th February 2013, 10:15 PM
G1 Fansproject Bruticus set w/ Asia exclusive Bruticus set or Fansproject not-Menasaur?

Leaning towards the FP n-M as Menasaur was one of my favourite G1 combiners along with Defensor as a kid, but FP BM is amazing and I know I'll regret not having it if I don't get it... if only funds weren't so tight and I could have both!

A bit hard to compare, as nobody has had a chance to play with not-Menasor yet, but assuming that both are at least of equal engineering marvel, I'd go with FP not-Menasor for sentimental value and hedging against price-appreciation.

First, there's that added sentimental value from your childhood. Secondly, none of Fansproject's releases has fallen in value after initial release (the least popular was probably the not-Insecticons, but they were KO'ed and the original moulds still remained the same price), so it's only by pre-ordering that you will secure the lowest price. The second FP not-Bruticus set will likely remain the same price as the second release has ruined scalpers' profits, giving you some time to save up.

However, price-wise not-Menasor will cost you more as the second release of FP not-Bruticus is $260 ($130+130), whilst for the full set of FP not-Menasor will be upwards of $~360 (first two figures are $60each, whilst second two limbs will likely be the same price + not-Motormaster who will be at least Voyager sized). Noting my second reason, I'd rather not risk the chance of having to pay the scalper's rate at a later stage. Also, scalpers seen at work here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-Fansproject-CA-09-Car-Crash-Not-Breakdown-In-Stock-/181083072558?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2a2964682e&_uhb=1#ht_2105wt_909

nofacej
18th February 2013, 11:05 PM
A bit hard to compare, as nobody has had a chance to play with not-Menasor yet, but assuming that both are at least of equal engineering marvel, I'd go with FP not-Menasor for sentimental value and hedging against price-appreciation.

First, there's that added sentimental value from your childhood. Secondly, none of Fansproject's releases has fallen in value after initial release (the least popular was probably the not-Insecticons, but they were KO'ed and the original moulds still remained the same price), so it's only by pre-ordering that you will secure the lowest price. The second FP not-Bruticus set will likely remain the same price as the second release has ruined scalpers' profits, giving you some time to save up.

However, price-wise not-Menasor will cost you more as the second release of FP not-Bruticus is $260 ($130+130), whilst for the full set of FP not-Menasor will be upwards of $~360 (first two figures are $60each, whilst second two limbs will likely be the same price + not-Motormaster who will be at least Voyager sized). Noting my second reason, I'd rather not risk the chance of having to pay the scalper's rate at a later stage. Also, scalpers seen at work here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transformers-Fansproject-CA-09-Car-Crash-Not-Breakdown-In-Stock-/181083072558?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2a2964682e&_uhb=1#ht_2105wt_909

You make a solid case, and it supports my initial lean (or pushes me over as the case were). The extra $100 for Menasaur is fine because the cost will be spread out over time, though I'm not too keen on being raped for postage 3 times. It will probably come out to more like an extra $200 after postage comes into consideration (sometimes I hate living in Australia).

Now I just need to decide where to buy it from.

liegeprime
19th February 2013, 12:21 AM
You make a solid case, and it supports my initial lean (or pushes me over as the case were). The extra $100 for Menasaur is fine because the cost will be spread out over time, though I'm not too keen on being raped for postage 3 times. It will probably come out to more like an extra $200 after postage comes into consideration (sometimes I hate living in Australia).

Now I just need to decide where to buy it from.

BBTS, that way you can put it in pile of loot and ship in one go, plus you can add a couple more stuff in that pile of loot before you ship it, and distributing the shipping cost to per figure will kinda save you a bit of postage cost.

Megatron
19th February 2013, 12:45 AM
Megatron: Feel free to vote on this poll (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5581) (likewise anyone else who may feel free to participate). There's also a discussion about different types of (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=129152&postcount=32) collectors (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=129243&postcount=34). I classify myself as a "Player." Megatron might see herself as a "Curator." :)

Hmm.. interesting threads. I may leave a comment in them tomorrow (too late right now, gotta go recharge). Yes, I would be 80% Curator (love your pic btw), 20% Fiddler. Not a Player. :D

Megatron might see herself as a "Curator." :)
In RL yes... but not as "Megatron." ;)

Bidoofdude
19th February 2013, 09:48 PM
I'm more of a half fiddler and half player.:D

Bidoofdude
14th March 2013, 09:46 PM
Encore 20A Devastator($103 shipped on Anime Export) or Hasbro Masterpiece Thundercracker. ($113 shipped on TRU USA)
TC is essential for my uprising TC collection, but that's a cheap price for Devastator and he looks pretty cool. I love the cards as well.
I just can't decide!!!:mad::p

I really want the TC as a centerpiece for my TC collection, but I LOVE those cards, the toys AND the box on Devastator!!!
UUGGHHH!!! This is so frustrating!;)

Kazza
15th March 2013, 08:01 AM
Encore 20A Devastator($103 shipped on Anime Export) or Hasbro Masterpiece Thundercracker. ($113 shipped on TRU USA)
TC is essential for my uprising TC collection, but that's a cheap price for Devastator and he looks pretty cool. I love the cards as well.
I just can't decide!!!:mad::p

I really want the TC as a centerpiece for my TC collection, but I LOVE those cards, the toys AND the box on Devastator!!!
UUGGHHH!!! This is so frustrating!;)

Seems like your already leaning towards MP-TC so I say go for that one.

BigTransformerTrev
15th March 2013, 08:51 AM
That's a valid point but that's why a lot of MISB collectors will also buy duplicates in loose form for the ones they really want to enjoy and play with. MISB collecting is all about the idea of keeping a prized toy in its perfect, untouched, original state, for investment potential yes, but also for the ownership of something that can become the envy and holy grail of serious collectors many years later.

For example, I will buy loose toys of the ones I really like so I can play with them and use them in my comics, but I'll always want a MISB one as well in my collection.

I remember when they were talking about the 10 richest people in the country and all I could think was "Wow, if I had their money I could by 8 Collectors Edition Sixshots! 1 for MISB, 1 for playing with and 6 to have on display - 1 in each transformation!"

And to think, these fools just by 2 million dollar sports cars. What a waste!

M-bot
15th March 2013, 01:52 PM
Seems like your already leaning towards MP-TC so I say go for that one.

+1. My reasoning is that TC is only going up in price and rarity from here, where as the Devi box set is not as likely to. That can wait. Go for TC!:)

Megatron
15th March 2013, 02:09 PM
I remember when they were talking about the 10 richest people in the country and all I could think was "Wow, if I had their money I could by 8 Collectors Edition Sixshots! 1 for MISB, 1 for playing with and 6 to have on display - 1 in each transformation!"

And to think, these fools just by 2 million dollar sports cars. What a waste!

Heh. Well thankfully, I don't collect Sixshot. :D

Bidoofdude
15th March 2013, 06:11 PM
I think I might go TC, but that 30% off is convincing me.;):p

GoktimusPrime
15th March 2013, 09:08 PM
I'd go Encore Devvie if I were you. While MP Thundercracker may be hard to find, the fact is that it's still a Hasbro release that did come out in Australian stores... so you have better odds of finding an MP Thundercracker later on, whereas there's zero chance of finding Encore Devastator in stores here since that's a TakaraTOMY exclusive toy. Unless you wanna wait and see if Hasbro releases their own G1 Devastator reissue, but even if they do, it might not get released by Hasbro Australia. :o

Bidoofdude
15th March 2013, 10:07 PM
It's the recent Encore 20a (anime), as Anime export have 30% off TFs.:cool:

SuspectimusPrime
16th March 2013, 02:15 AM
MP TC appears to have a greater chance of achieving a greater price rise, as so far there has been no 1:1 reissue of MP moulds I believe, also the initial supply of TC's seems to have been insufficient to meet demand - so there are more other people out there wanting the mould as well. This is opposed to the G1 reissue (which primarily appeals to the seasoned collectors market). If you're dead set on acquiring both of them within an indefinite timeframe, then I'd suggest TC to hedge against a greater future collective spend.

I agree with Gok's logic, but realistically there hasn't been an MP TC sighting in a while (in NSW/VIC threads at least), so if there's one obscure piece of undocumented stock left in all the stores (a refund that didn't get scanned properly into the system, or a piece of stock that was left out during scan count), is it worth holding onto hope and calling up/driving around to a N number of stores?

Starscream77
24th March 2013, 10:10 PM
So here is my decision to make :
I have reissue Fort Max on Pre order which should ship in a couple of weeks, while I was waiting for it I threw a bid at an original Fort Max on evil bay and somehow won it for a fair price, it was shipped on Friday so will be here shortly.
The cost for both of these combined is quite a chunk of change so I have to decide whether to keep both which limits my purchases for a while or do I sell one off? And then which one to sell?
I have always craved an original as it's a grail but the reissue would be so minty for display
Any thoughts on this tough one?

Bidoofdude
24th March 2013, 10:21 PM
I reckon you should sell the original, as it has a far greater chance of breaking and yellowing. You should also be able to sell it for quite a hefty price, which arguably could be more than the reissue, for the moment, at least.
And yes, minty minty. If an original means that much, take that one by all means.:cool:;)

lancalot
24th March 2013, 10:23 PM
I have reissue Fort Max on Pre order which should ship in a couple of weeks, while I was waiting for it I threw a bid at an original Fort Max on evil bay and somehow won it for a fair price, it was shipped on Friday so will be here shortly.
The cost for both of these combined is quite a chunk of change so I have to decide whether to keep both which limits my purchases for a while or do I sell one off? And then which one to sell?
I have always craved an original as it's a grail but the reissue would be so minty for display

Too me the orig always going to be better ...and better in value as a collectible in the long run as well ... but if it badly beaten up then the reissue ... so it just depends on the orig condition .

Kazza
25th March 2013, 02:47 AM

But could you actually afford to keep both?

Starscream77
25th March 2013, 08:05 AM
Well yeah I could but not sure it's worth having both when I could spend that on other TFs I don't have.

Trent
25th March 2013, 09:16 AM
I would keep the reissue and sell the original. Unless the original is one you had from when you were a kid I don't see the point. I'd rather have a fresh minty new one with everything than an old one. To me people wanting the original is purely a financial decision, if its original, it's worth more. If you gave someone the choice of 2 Fort Max' 1 an original and 1 a reissue, for the same price, with the knowledge that both will henceforth forever sell for the same price, most would pick the reissue.

M-bot
25th March 2013, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I'd go the reissue as well. Not to dis G1 originals, which are awesome and have their place in collections, but minty trumps age for me.

GoktimusPrime
25th March 2013, 02:41 PM
I'd go for the reissue. The reissue is gonna offer you infinitely better value for money than the original.

I would keep the reissue and sell the original. Unless the original is one you had from when you were a kid I don't see the point. I'd rather have a fresh minty new one with everything than an old one. To me people wanting the original is purely a financial decision, if its original, it's worth more. If you gave someone the choice of 2 Fort Max' 1 an original and 1 a reissue, for the same price, with the knowledge that both will henceforth forever sell for the same price, most would pick the reissue.
^Totally agree. :cool: And resale value only matters if you actually intend on selling the toy later on!

GoktimusPrime
20th April 2013, 05:53 PM
After my recent issue with Myer (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=351149&postcount=230), my local store has offered to give me a "better deal" on my next purchase. I was initially going to buy BH Voyager Optimus Prime at Myer under their current 20% sale, but after the way I was treated, decided not to and went and preordered a TakaraTOMY version (which has way nicer colours IMO) from HLJ.

So should I:
a) Get a Hasbro Voyager BH Optimus Prime with a further discounted price (e.g. maybe $35 or less?) - Myer's sale ends tomorrow.
b) Stick with getting the TakaraTOMY version and save my offer from Myer for a future TF release later down the track.

As I've preordered the TakTOM version, I'm getting it for the discounted price of 3200JPY (about $31) -- so including postage I'm guesstimating it'll cost approx. $45, which still below full AU RRP for this toy.

I'm leaning toward option B, but I'm curious to know what others would do if they were in my shoes. :)

Bidoofdude
20th April 2013, 06:29 PM
I think you're in for a treat with the takara. Especially with the price. I'd stick with that personally. ;):D

Sinnertwin
20th April 2013, 06:38 PM
B.
Save the other for another day.

SuspectimusPrime
20th April 2013, 10:53 PM
I think you're in for a treat with the takara. Especially with the price. I'd stick with that personally. ;):D

Agreed. Hasbro's snot-coloured green sword is far from deserving the name Star Saber.

GoktimusPrime
21st April 2013, 12:13 AM
Thanks guys. :) My wife also reckons I should go for Option B too.

Agreed. Hasbro's snot-coloured green sword is far from deserving the name Star Saber.
As opposed to a urine yellow Star Sabre (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Energon_Saber)? ;)

Sinnertwin
21st April 2013, 12:54 AM

As opposed to a urine yellow Star Sabre (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Energon_Saber)? ;)

I shudder to think what Roadbuster will be compared to...

Omega Metro
21st April 2013, 01:17 AM

If that's the colour of your snot, I'd suggest you see a doctor.:)

Should I take legal action against Australia Post for losing my $300 parcel at their depot?:mad:

Bidoofdude
21st April 2013, 09:26 AM
If that's the colour of your snot, I'd suggest you see a doctor.:)

Should I take legal action against Australia Post for losing my $300 parcel at their depot?:mad:

I'd file a big complaint or something of that nature, if I were you, or maybe speak to the shop as well. (they might be able to talk to AP as well ;))

That's really annoying dude. I'm so sorry for you. :(

GoktimusPrime
21st April 2013, 10:10 AM
You can contact the Postal Industry Ombudsman (http://www.pio.gov.au/) to file a complaint.

SuspectimusPrime
21st April 2013, 07:09 PM

I just prefer Star Saber to be a big robot (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Star_Saber_(Victory)) ;)

GoktimusPrime
21st May 2013, 02:06 PM
...after much deliberation, I've decided to cancel my BBTS Blitzwing/Springer preorder and just ordered the Generations Triple Changer Triple Pack (Blitzie, Springie, Sandie) from BBTS. BBTS is hoping to get B/S in by late May, which means I won't see the toys until June -- RK reckons they'll get B/S/S in June/July, so I might end up getting the Triple Changers either around the same time as I would from BBTS (best case scenario), or a month later, but I get a 3rd Triple Changer and overall I pay less for each figure. :o

I had a look at someone else's Generations Springer on Sunday, so that should satiate me for a while. :) Man this online shopping stuff is such a headache... I'd rather just walk into a store, buy the toys and go home and open 'em!! :rolleyes:

Raptormesh
21st May 2013, 10:07 PM
RK is actually getting them before BBTS? That's...extraordinary.

Sinnertwin
21st May 2013, 10:29 PM
...after much deliberation, I've decided to cancel my BBTS Blitzwing/Springer preorder and just ordered the Generations Triple Changer Triple Pack (Blitzie, Springie, Sandie) from BBTS. BBTS is hoping to get B/S in by late May, which means I won't see the toys until June -- RK reckons they'll get B/S/S in June/July, so I might end up getting the Triple Changers either around the same time as I would from BBTS (best case scenario), or a month later, but I get a 3rd Triple Changer and overall I pay less for each figure. :o

I did the same. Another month won't kill me

Trent
22nd May 2013, 04:10 PM
RK is actually getting them before BBTS? That's...extraordinary.

At this stage they say they are…

GoktimusPrime
24th October 2013, 05:54 PM
MP Bluestreak is coming out this w/e and MP Smokescreen in December. So should I get Bluestreak sent to me straight away, or hold on until December and have Bluestreak and Smokescreen shipped together in December?
My mind is saying to wait... I do already have MP Prowl so having at least one version of the MP Datsun mould ought to satiate me until December... but my impatient heart is saying "I WANTS IT NOW!!"

Thoughts?

Jetfire in the sky
24th October 2013, 05:58 PM
Considering you already have Prowl I'd wait if it saves you money on postage. If it doesn't then get it ASAP :p

GoktimusPrime
24th October 2013, 10:39 PM
Yeah... given the relatively smallish size/weight of the MP Nissans, I'd suspect it'd be cheaper to wait and combine. :o

Cat
24th October 2013, 11:17 PM
The final version looks a tad odd due to the stark difference between the painted and unpainted plastic, so personally, I'd be inclined now to wait.

GoktimusPrime
30th October 2013, 09:04 AM
I ordered the Predacons Rising DVD/Blu Ray combo without thinking that Blu Rays are region coded too... and of course, my PS3 is my only BR player and doesn't play overseas regions (and knowing Sony, it'd be hardwired to do so). So I reckon my options are:
a) Sell the Blu Ray off separately. I could easily enough buy a spare BR case and I'd let the buyer keep the outside cardboard sleeve. I'd be willing to sell it for $10.
b) Purchase a separate Blu Ray player that can be region hacked through the remote. Thing is... this is the only non Australian BR I own. Seems a bit odd to buy another BR player just to play one disk. Unless I get a cheap generic brand, but even they're about $100 I think.
c) Just keep the BR disc even though I can't watch it. Uuh... I don't see the point in owning a Blu Ray that I'm not going to watch. Makes about as much sense to me as buying a toy I'm not going to play with. :p ;)

Thoughts?

GoktimusPrime
30th October 2013, 02:01 PM
Okay, after speaking w/ my colleagues I've decided to keep the BR disc. It's not taking up any additional space since both discs are in the same case so... yeah. :p Maybe one day in the future I might get a BR player that can play all regions. :o

Cat
30th October 2013, 03:38 PM
Over 80% of blu-rays are already region free.

Personally, I use sites like regionfreemovies.com to check. They've never done me wrong so far, and I've been lucky enough that even when I've gambled, it's been fine and plays.

lancalot
30th October 2013, 03:46 PM
you can always use the bluray and back it up on the comp and watch it that way :)

DELTAprime
31st October 2013, 08:08 PM
Over 80% of blu-rays are already region free.

Personally, I use sites like regionfreemovies.com to check. They've never done me wrong so far, and I've been lucky enough that even when I've gambled, it's been fine and plays.

By any chance is the Shout Factory TFP season 2 Blu-ray region free? I'm sick of waiting for Madman.

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2013, 09:43 PM
By any chance is the Shout Factory TFP season 2 Blu-ray region free? I'm sick of waiting for Madman.
It's Region 1. But unless your player is something like a Sony (which are hardwired to Region 4), you should be able to use the remote to set your player to play all regions. I brought my Shout Factory TFPS2 DVDs to Cairns earlier this year and the DVD player in our resort room was set on Region 4... so I reset it to Region 0 and it was all good. :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Cairns/cairns_dvd_zps31b48ee0.jpg

I use my PS3 to watch Blu Rays, which is Sony, so it's hardwired and the region coding cannot be manually reset. :(

DELTAprime
31st October 2013, 11:57 PM
Decision time.

Do I go with Hasbro Generations http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/5/59/Generations_waspy.jpg

or Takara Generationshttp://static.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1378905351_1_002024000088.jpg

Normall I would choose Hasbro as of late cause Takara's chrome paints are getting a bit garish for my taste, but they both look great.

Jetfire in the sky
1st November 2013, 07:03 AM
I like the Hasbro one, I don't know if it would look too bright in real life or the plastic cheap but it just jumps out at you in a nice way.

Trent
1st November 2013, 09:34 AM
I like the Hasbro one, I don't know if it would look too bright in real life or the plastic cheap but it just jumps out at you in a nice way.

Same.

GoktimusPrime
1st November 2013, 09:56 AM
Get whichever tickles your fancy or is cheaper/easier for you to get. They both look fantastic, so you're a winner either way. :D

UltraMarginal
1st November 2013, 10:05 AM

Get whichever tickles your fancy or is cheaper/easier for you to get. They both look fantastic, so you're a winner either way. :D

I agree with both of these, if you like them both equally get the cheapest one, leaving more money for others, perhaps a Rhinox.

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2013, 11:44 AM
Hhhhmmmm... not sure if I wanna preorder MP22 Ultra Magnus or wait and hope/see for a cheaper Hasbro release. I guess it'll depend on MP22's RRP and what the preorder discount price is like... but MP10 was already 23100JPY (~$250). BBTS has their preorder price at US$280. $300 is the most I've ever paid for a single Transformer, and in both instances their names ended with "Maximus." I'm really not sure if I wanna hit that record again with a non-Maximus toy.

I don't want to make the same "mistake" that I made w/ MP Soundwave & cassettes which I ended up paying about $200 for... I would've saved myself a nice $50 if I'd bought it locally. But on the other hand, I've never seen an MP Soundwave at TRU (then again, I didn't hunt for him either -- a mate of mine who was in hospital when Soundwave came out just managed to find one at a local TRU just yesterday). I'm sure I'd be able to find a cheaper preorder price on Amazon Japan, although it still wouldn't be as cheap as local Hasbro prices.

So I'm not sure if I should jump and preorder an MP22 as soon as it's listed on Amazon JP, or just wait a month or so and see if news comes out for a Hasbro version, then just wait for it to be released locally, but also having to go through all the time/effort of hunting it down (making truckloads of phone calls for weeks and driving around for days etc.). Encore Fortress Maximus cost me about $250 at preorder price... do I really want to pay a similar price to that for an MP? Hhmmm...

Gasaraki
28th December 2013, 02:11 PM
A familiar conundrum these days isn't it? So basically:

A) Pre-order now (from BBTS or similar).
B) Pre-order from Amazon JP when available.
C) Wait and hope for cheaper Hasbro release.

Given that the likelihood of a Hasbro version is high (almost certain?) in a non-licensed product (contrast with MP cars so far), I am personally opting for the last choice. I also never saw a Soundwave at local TRU stores, despite making some attempts to track it down... in the end ordering online from TRU served well enough, and I might be banking on this again. For me there is also the potential from the Perth pre-order llamatron kindly organizes.

Even if I miss out on all this, recent history suggests that second runs are the go (from Takara anyway). I'd been trying to get my hands on MP-08 for (literally) years, and was extremely happy when the reissue happened. Yes I ended up paying a little more, but for the time that passed, it was OK.

DELTAprime
28th December 2013, 04:49 PM
I always go with my version of option B for my JP preorders. wait for HLJ. I would do Amazon JP but the US Amazon has damaged my packaging to many times now (sometime deliberately) and I can't read Japanese and I don't have access to a Japanese address.

DELTAprime
29th December 2013, 04:33 PM
I'm torn as to if I should get a Star Convoy or not.

On the plus side he's a Prime, on the con side he's another red, white and blue brick. What do you guys think?

GoktimusPrime
29th December 2013, 04:58 PM
He is indeed a pretty ordinary action figure, but he is an incredibly fun Micromaster play set! :D
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/microcity1.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/microcity2.jpg
Although at 8000JPY ($86) he's by no means cheap, but I think he's worth it. No idea what aftermarket prices for the reissue would be, let alone for the original G1. The reissue does replace the whites with silver which looks nicer IMHO. The toy on its own has limited play value, but if you already have a collection of other Micromasters and Micromaster playsets, then I would recommend considering it if you can find it at a good price. :)

DELTAprime
29th December 2013, 06:38 PM
He is indeed a pretty ordinary action figure, but he is an incredibly fun Micromaster play set! :D
Although at 8000JPY ($86) he's by no means cheap, but I think he's worth it. No idea what aftermarket prices for the reissue would be, let alone for the original G1. The reissue does replace the whites with silver which looks nicer IMHO. The toy on its own has limited play value, but if you already have a collection of other Micromasters and Micromaster playsets, then I would recommend considering it if you can find it at a good price. :)

So I should think of him as a Micromaster accessory to justify spending the cash. Sounds much better put like that. The reissue would actually be the cheapest way to get a MISB Micromaster play set and since I've been thinking about getting more Micromaster stuff on and off for a while now I'll go for it. Thanks Gok!

neeno
8th January 2014, 09:14 PM
I'm torn as to if I should get a Star Convoy or not.

On the plus side he's a Prime, on the con side he's another red, white and blue brick. What do you guys think?

whoaa buddy, he's not just another brick, he's a fast running brick when you turn that thing on. Try to catch him running, you might want to know how fast you can stop him from crashing to a brick wall :D

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2014, 09:45 AM
Or you could lie him on his tummy and have dual treadmills for Micromasters, Mini-Cons and Cyberverses! :p

M-bot
13th February 2014, 10:15 PM
Got an MP Acid Storm. Whether or not this was a wise purchase we'll leave aside for the moment, but I have no particular affinity with the character. My choices:

1. Keep him as is as my 4th MP seeker next to Starscream, Thundercracker and Igear's not-Skywarp.

2. Kitbash him into an MP conehead now (I'm thinking Thrust), which I've definitely got some ideas about. Problem with that is that if I have Thrust, I'll want Dirge and Ramjet too, which means getting another 2 of this mould at some point, which I can't really afford now.

3. Keep him as Acid Storm until such time as I have another 2 of the mould and then do all three at once.

Thoughts? Questions?

Ravagecat
13th February 2014, 10:21 PM
Got an MP Acid Storm. Whether or not this was a wise purchase we'll leave aside for the moment, but I have no particular affinity with the character. My choices:

1. Keep him as is as my 4th MP seeker next to Starscream, Thundercracker and Igear's not-Skywarp.

2. Kitbash him into an MP conehead now (I'm thinking Thrust), which I've definitely got some ideas about. Problem with that is that if I have Thrust, I'll want Dirge and Ramjet too, which means getting another 2 of this mould at some point, which I can't really afford now.

3. Keep him as Acid Storm until such time as I have another 2 of the mould and then do all three at once.

Thoughts? Questions?

I haven't done a lot of toy modding myself but wouldn't it be hard to go from lime green to the maroon/red that Thrust is? How many coats of primer would you need to stop the green coming through? I wasnt that fussed with him at first but he is growing on me. I'd leave him as Acidstorm ;)

lancalot
13th February 2014, 11:43 PM

Thoughts? Questions?

Well with sunstorm coming out you might as well keep him so you can have the rainmaker seekers ..... and now you just have to do a custom bitstream or hotlink :) Which is a lot more easier then doing a thrust

DELTAprime
13th February 2014, 11:46 PM
I'd keep him as is for now. Gives you more time to prototype out a design and also I'm betting customising is going to be a lot easier in a year or two with 3D printing.

Personally I'm holding out for the ability to print all the accessories (like blasters) and replacement heads I want.

Sinnertwin
14th February 2014, 01:48 AM

Thoughts? Questions?

I'd sell him & be done with it.

Trent
14th February 2014, 07:04 AM
I'd sell him & be done with it.

+1. Unless you want to commit to doing all 3 coneheads (who'd igear already did and they are pretty cool) I'd just sell it.

Or if you wanted to use it for a custom, may I suggest Red Wing (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Red_Wing_(G1))? Much easier and less likely to see an official release.

Mythirax
15th February 2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah I'd keep or sell him. I personally love him though, his colors make my day :D

Smint
18th February 2014, 02:50 AM
I've been building my collection of TT MP's and so far i have MP-10b, soundwave, prowl, bluestreak, smokescreen.

I only intend to get the original G1 figures, no recolours. MP10b being exception because mp10 is too expensive and YOTH is just not quite right for me.

One thing i've been debating about are the seekers. Should i wait for TT reissue of skywarp/thundercracker (if there ever will be a reissue)? One thing i read is the paint job of the TT blows away the hasbro release. I think Skywarp would really benefit from this with the shiny black paint.

Or should i buy a hasbro thundercracker/skywarp for approx $150? TT versions are just too expensive at this point.

I do like the seeker mold and i dont want to get recolours but ive seen acid storm for 140 on ebay. Is this a good deal?

DELTAprime
18th February 2014, 04:35 AM
Takara's Skywarp is more G1 show accurate when you apply the right stickers, Hasbro's is more toy accurate.

Takara's Thundercracker is more G1 Marvel comic accurate again with the right stickers, Hasbro's is more G1 cartoon accurate but has some shall we say "creative" tampos.

Thats what the deco differences are.

Mould differences are major for Thundercracker. I'd personally holdout for a new version of Skywarp and Thundercracker from Takara based on the MP-11 mould which is far better than the MP-03 mould they originally used.

Sinnertwin
18th February 2014, 10:26 AM
$140 for Acid Storm?
Considering he was released in November for $99.99 & was available for their 25% off sale, i'd be looking for a better deal. Try contacting TrU stores or their H/O & see if there are any left. 441589 is the product number you'll need to quote.

griffin
24th February 2014, 09:54 PM
I'm currently moving my toys around, to make them more chronological in their ordering (some lines are out of order because they were collected after most of the other shelves were filled).

One of the things I'm doing is putting the Japanese, European and South American Gen1 toys with the US Hasbro shelves, but after the US Gen1 shelves, to keep the Original US series "pure" from start to finish (1984-1991). But after that, if there is a small number of Japanese exclusives, I'm looking at putting them with their relevant Hasbro shelf (like Micron Legend with Armada, Masterpiece with Masterpiece, or Movie figures with each Hasbro Movie shelves).
So I generally shelve things by their series (or packaging labels), but I'm running into a problem with the TakaraTomy 2010 set...

Predaking (not in the photo), Primus, Unicron, Masterpiece Sleep Convoy, Animated Optimus & Rodimus, Classics Optimus & Rodimus.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/collection/c19s3.jpg

I have the original versions on their own shelves, so don't need these with their related series (Armada, Cybertron, Animated, Classics, etc), but I'm sorta wanting to have the Masterpiece Convoy with the Masterpiece figures.
But, if I do that, I probably should split up the others as well, as ruins the point of the "set". The Animated and Classics ones will make sense with their displays, but Primus, Unicron and Predaking will look out of place with their displays, as they are too similar to the ones already on those shelves.

What would you do?
- Keep them together to represent the "TakaraTomy 2010 commemorative" set.
- Have the MP Sleep Convoy with the other Masterpiece figures, and leave the rest as the "2010" display.
- Put the Masterpiece, Animated and Classics figures with their respective series, and have the remaining big ones (Primus, Unicron, Predaking) somewhere else that makes sense.
- Put them all with their respective series/shelves.
- Give them away to someone else to save yourself the hassle of this decision. :p

GoktimusPrime
24th February 2014, 10:46 PM
- Put them all with their respective series/shelves.
^I'd do this.

klystron
24th February 2014, 11:09 PM
- Give them away to someone else to save yourself the hassle of this decision. :p

You should totally chose this option.
(wink wink nudge nudge)
:D

Mythirax
24th February 2014, 11:53 PM
I'd do firstly what Gok said:
Put them all with their respective series/shelves.

And if not:
Keep them together to represent the "TakaraTomy 2010 commemorative" set.

optimus1
25th February 2014, 10:31 AM
Am undecided if I should go for Generations Metroplex.....
Is he really worth the approx $150??

jazzcomp
25th February 2014, 10:53 AM
Pretty good figure. He used to be $120 or $100 on sale.
I think that's Amazon price as well.

Sinnertwin
25th February 2014, 11:12 AM
^I'd do this.

Same here

Paulbot
25th February 2014, 12:11 PM

It's big and bulky, a little hard to play with and pose. It will take up a lot of space but it's a very impressive figure.

I paid more than $150 (who knew it'd be cheaper here!) and don't regret it.

Paulbot
25th February 2014, 04:22 PM
After checking out the Seibertron.Com galleries of the TF Prime Dark Energon toys (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-galleries-transformers-prime-dark-energon-exclusives/29508/), I'm kinda tempted to get the set.

Goldbug, Slicer, Skywarp, and the only Megatron toy from TF Prime I actually think looks any good. (And Prime and Knockout aren't too bad, I wouldn't mind another Knock Out and I didn't buy Crock Out when I had the chance)

They are priced pretty well with my POL ($15 per deluxe, $25 per voyager with shipping)

I mentioned this on Twitter and got a few Yays, any one got them and would say Nay?

Bidoofdude
25th February 2014, 04:47 PM

Fantastic figure. Worth the $150 IMO. Got in on sale for $120 myself and that was WELL worth it. Very imposing and an important piece for me. Hope we get a Trypticon.

Mythirax
25th February 2014, 06:43 PM

After owning two of them, they're well worth the value. I should of kept my third and sold it to someone here :\ Never knew people would of wanted them so much.

optimus1
26th February 2014, 10:31 AM
It's big and bulky, a little hard to play with and pose. It will take up a lot of space but it's a very impressive figure.

I paid more than $150 (who knew it'd be cheaper here!) and don't regret it.

Same here

Fantastic figure. Worth the $150 IMO. Got in on sale for $120 myself and that was WELL worth it. Very imposing and an important piece for me. Hope we get a Trypticon.

After owning two of them, they're well worth the value. I should of kept my third and sold it to someone here :\ Never knew people would of wanted them so much.

Thanks for the comments guys :) Metroplex sounds like he has more pros than cons.
I'm now really leaning towards getting him but at a cheaper price. I'll wait for a sale at Target or if Myers decide to ever price more appropriately.

jazzcomp
26th February 2014, 10:45 AM
Does target still have stock?

Sinnertwin
26th February 2014, 12:00 PM
Does target still have stock?

There's still the odd one or two floating around

griffin
26th February 2014, 02:41 PM
So before I decide how far to split up the 2010 commemorative shelf, I took a group photo for the collection page first...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/b760.jpg

I think that was all of them.

Anyway, Sleep Convoy is now with the rest of the Masterpiece figures....

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/collection/c35.jpg

(that should be all but the Final Edition Convoy (not worth buying just for no colour changes, but a unique stamping on the toy somewhere), the Comic edition Grimlock (way too expensive for me to justify it, when there are other items I would rather buy first for that amount), the YOTH Optimus (still on the Platinum Edition shelf), and the Gen2 Sideswipe (on its way))

I'm just still not sure about the rest of the 2010 toys yet, as my collection room is organised by series, to keep them fairly chronological. So when there are series that reuse old moulds (Universe, BotCon, and Platinum Editions), it can get confusing having a toy on a shelf that was released up to 10 years after the rest of the shelf, and having to label the shelf accordingly with its series and year(s). It also gives a good "evolution of the Brand" when everything is sorted by their release years, going from one end to the other and seeing where the focus was during different eras or years.

I think the Masterpiece line is just so significant and a "centrepiece" type of figure to any collection, that it may just be the exception to my chronological collection display order, just to highlight those particular figures (which is now the first display case people will see when entering the room).

I might squeeze in the YOTH Optimus later, on the bottom shelf (Hasbro MPs), with those darn trailers double stacked I think, just to fit them both in.

The_Damned
26th February 2014, 02:55 PM
After checking out the Seibertron.Com galleries of the TF Prime Dark Energon toys (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-galleries-transformers-prime-dark-energon-exclusives/29508/), I'm kinda tempted to get the set.

Goldbug, Slicer, Skywarp, and the only Megatron toy from TF Prime I actually think looks any good. (And Prime and Knockout aren't too bad, I wouldn't mind another Knock Out and I didn't buy Crock Out when I had the chance)

They are priced pretty well with my POL ($15 per deluxe, $25 per voyager with shipping)

I mentioned this on Twitter and got a few Yays, any one got them and would say Nay?

they do look pretty good. that megatron especially.

UltraMarginal
26th February 2014, 03:26 PM

I got metroplex for $98 from Big W, I like it a lot but just like my Re-issue FortMax, I opened it up, transformed it, dominated the coffee table with it for a week, put it in city mode on the floor in front of the TV for another and now I have nowhere else to put it. Fort max is back in the box in the cupboard and Metroplex is standing on a shelf on the office desk because he won't fit in his box because of his arm. I like them both but I have a lingering feeling of dissapointment due to just not having suitable display space for them especially out of their robot modes.

You know my views on the Dark Energon Wheeljack/slicer from Twitter, if you don't have the takara Skywarp, then this version would be just as good if not better, just for the proper guns instead of the stupid micron.

to me the others are a little like pointless repaints with no representation in any of the media, unless you don't have the mold yet I don't see a great need for them. Seeing how much stuff you're trying to unload at the moment, I'd ask myself if I thought it might be something I would have to resell in a year or two. Having handled them all in package as part of a group order for the fair last year, they do look very nice, and if you like them just for their looks and don't care about the fact that they are essentially repaints then go for it. They are some of the best looking clear plastic figures I've seen in years.

DELTAprime
26th February 2014, 10:29 PM
I have a little space left on my new Animated shelf. I have room for 2 more Deluxe's and 2 more Voyager's. After I fill this shelf there will be no more Animated for me so I want the best toys to fill the spots.

As far as characters from TFA that are either Deluxe or Voyager go I'm missing Oil Slick, Snarl/Slag, Swoop, Blurr, Swindle, Ironhide, Grimlock, Lugnut, Blitzwing and Wreck-gar.

Out of these characters I'm missing which are the 2 of each class that are the best toys so I can plug these 4 holes on my shelf?

Paulbot
26th February 2014, 11:04 PM
Blurr and Swindle for the deluxes. Liugnut and Grimlock for the Voyagers. Of course you won't have the full Dinobots if you do that, but Blurr and Swindle are better than Snarl and Swoop. Blurr's a particular favourite of mine.

Mythirax
27th February 2014, 01:03 AM
I have a little space left on my new Animated shelf. I have room for 2 more Deluxe's and 2 more Voyager's. After I fill this shelf there will be no more Animated for me so I want the best toys to fill the spots.

As far as characters from TFA that are either Deluxe or Voyager go I'm missing Oil Slick, Snarl/Slag, Swoop, Blurr, Swindle, Ironhide, Grimlock, Lugnut, Blitzwing and Wreck-gar.

Out of these characters I'm missing which are the 2 of each class that are the best toys so I can plug these 4 holes on my shelf?

I don't know a lot about the TFA figures. But I got a TFA Blurr the other month, and he's a fantastic figure, looks great, and poses great imo.

klystron
5th March 2014, 12:34 AM
I was a little disappointed with TFA Grimlock (ended up selling mine), so I'll swing a vote to Blitzwing.

klystron
5th March 2014, 12:56 AM
OK, I need to consult the infinite wisdom of the oracle that is the Decision Thread.
Due to not buying many figures lately, I've got a little spare money, and I need a fix. This is my short-list:

MP-13 Soundwave (Yes, I'm the only TF collector on the planet that doesn't already own one... Plus, expensive. And it turns into a box. $140 and its a box. An expensive box.)
MP-18 Streak (Quite nice but TBH I am over robots that turn into cars)
PlanetX Caelus (luuurve Swoop)
Fansproject Quadruple U (Such a cool looking figure)
Fansproject SmartRobin (Nice, but that face :eek:)
MP-12 Lambor (Sideswipe was my first ever TF)
MP-20 Wheeljack (see Number 2...)

Over the past two weeks, I've only managed to take ManiaKing off the list.

Thoughts/opinions?

Sinnertwin
5th March 2014, 01:41 AM
1. Expensive box
2. Car. You no want car
5. Crapface.
6. First Car. Still car.
7. Car. You no want car.

That just leaves 3. Swoop & 4. Wierdwolf. I'd go with the 'wolf ;)
I've been wanting one ever since i saw Trent's photos :D

DELTAprime
5th March 2014, 12:18 PM
Make MP-13 your priority. Soundwave is the best MP made imo and the red visor of the Takara version is a great touch the Hasbro one lacks.

Mythirax
5th March 2014, 12:28 PM
Make MP-13 your priority. Soundwave is the best MP made imo and the red visor of the Takara version is a great touch the Hasbro one lacks.

I agree, he's one of the best MP done. Love mine, and I even have the Hasbro version (visor doesn't phase me, was more important to get most of the cassettes in one hit).

Trent
5th March 2014, 12:51 PM
I agree, he's one of the best MP done. Love mine, and I even have the Hasbro version (visor doesn't phase me, was more important to get most of the cassettes in one hit).

If you can get reasonably priced Hasbro MP Soundwave, go with that.Great value considering you get all the cassettes. Laserbeak/Bauzzsaw, while simple, is an engineering marvel.

lancalot
5th March 2014, 12:57 PM
OK, I need to consult the infinite wisdom of the oracle that is the Decision Thread.
Due to not buying many figures lately, I've got a little spare money, and I need a fix. This is my short-list:

MP-13 Soundwave (Yes, I'm the only TF collector on the planet that doesn't already own one... Plus, expensive. And it turns into a box. $140 and its a box. An expensive box.)
MP-18 Streak (Quite nice but TBH I am over robots that turn into cars)
PlanetX Caelus (luuurve Swoop)
Fansproject Quadruple U (Such a cool looking figure)
Fansproject SmartRobin (Nice, but that face :eek:)
MP-12 Lambor (Sideswipe was my first ever TF)
MP-20 Wheeljack (see Number 2...)

Over the past two weeks, I've only managed to take ManiaKing off the list.

Thoughts/opinions?

I go with sideswipe ....he a great figure ...look just like the cartoon in robot mode and he not just any car he a Lamborghini!! and you never forget your first TF ..time to upgrade !

Next would be soundwave as you get the tapes as well...so more to play with :)