PDA

View Full Version : Botcon 2008 reviews by other fans

iceburn
25th June 2008, 01:04 AM
Came across this while surfing the internet for botcon toys and thought of sharing. Most pics have been seen posted up by griffin but i love the front few about queues....

http://www.sabrina-online.com/Botcon08.html

so in preparation for those going to Botcon 2009, please please please BRING MORE CASH!!!

jaydisc
25th June 2008, 01:10 AM
That was awesome.

STL
25th June 2008, 01:12 AM
Great find, ice!

griffin
25th June 2008, 02:25 AM
That is a good tip though, because the con/club store has two lines - cash and credit - the cash line moves 5 times faster than the credit card line. But it is one of the few sources that you can use credit cards for at the con, so it has been difficult for me to use cash there, because it limits the amount of cash I have left for the dealer room (and almost cash-only room). Something for you guys to think about when going next year.

STL
25th June 2008, 11:32 PM
How is safety as an issue if u come loaded w/ cash? And are there customs regulations to the US?

griffin
26th June 2008, 02:35 AM
Customs limits are usually about $10,000 (that's for coming into Australia, so the US is probably similar, in its own currency). I'd recommend talking to your bank about the cost differences though, with taking US$ bought in Australia compared to withdrawing from your account over there into US$. Both options will result in a foreign currency fee of about 2% and/or a set fee), but the exchange rate is different for buying or selling a currency (buying US$ in the US, will be at a different exchange rate to buying US$ in Australia), because banks have to import the foreign cash, or export it, I can't remember which one costs them more, altering the different exchange rates. But like I said, check with your bank before you go to see which option will cost you less with the amount you plan to spend there.
My bank (NAB) used to wave the transaction/exchange fee to NAB account holders, but they stopped doing that about 3 years ago.

jaydisc
26th June 2008, 08:49 AM
My experience with accessing AU account from US ATMs is you get the currency conversion +2% and an AU$5 ATM fee (from your institution) on top of that. Using your credit card is going to get you the same +2% conversion, so it's really the $5 that you need to worry about. Just minimize your trips to the ATM.