PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

Maz
24th August 2012, 11:25 PM
Dear all,

My name is Maz, I'm 32, and I'm a Transformers/pre-Transformers collector from the UK! I thought it was high time I registered here at OTCA as my friend Heroic_Decepticon has nothing but great things to say about the people he's made friends with here. It's a pleasure to meet you all!

For a few years now I have been writing articles online about rarer variant G1 Transformers (Mexican, European, South American etc) and Takara Diaclone (Joustra, Japanese, Finnish) for my site http://www.tf-1.com.

In the last year I have started doing weekly articles and interviews for http://tfsource.com/blog/ on TF-related subjects that I found interesting.

About my collecting focus, I thought it might be a good idea to paste my toy collecting history here after a similar thread elsewhere:

1998 - 2000 - Got into adult TF collecting and was tracing down G1 I never owned as a child - primarily Autobot cars, jets, early combiners and leaders. This was from online stores like Digital Toys and collector's shops in London, England.

2000-2001 - Got online properly and discovered eBay, all downhill from there, buying the first reissues, Car Robots in import stores and continuing with G1 gaps (Shockwave, Swoop, Sixshot etc). Diaclone and pre-Transformers/variant sickness is born thanks to Yahoo Diaclone group, Devvi.com, Morgan Evans's Skywarp.co.uk and ArtfireStepper2000's website

2003 - Sold all variant Transformers, all G1, all Diaclones and reissues, keeping only childhood stuff and a White Astrotrain and Tigertrack reissue for display

2004 - 2007 - Returned to collecting thanks to Alternators/Binaltech and specifically an email from a Finnish guy showing me his Diaclone Black Tracks, unlocking the secret of that toy's identity finally, got into prototypes and specifically Ceji Joustra Diaclone (always loved them but finally starting paying up and buying them). Also started collecting original boxart, Animated and Movie 2007 toys.

2007 - 2008 - Once again sold pretty much everything I had collected in the last 4 years except Binaltech, Animated, Masterpiece, original Alternators boxart unreleased handpainted G2 prototypes, G1 production samples, Diaclone yellow Sideswipe, GiG Mirage, Powered Convoy, 6 special colour Diaclone Trainbots and Joustra Diaclone. Decided to waste a few years getting good at Gran Turismo on PS3 and playing competitively online and in national/international competitions and trying to break into motor sport journalism.

2009/2010 (?) Picked up (was gifted) Human Alliance Bumblebee, Sideswipe and Barricade, MP Grimlock and Skywarp but not actively collecting.

2011 - Saw pictures online of a Joustra Diaclone Red Corvette (pre-Tracks) which kicked me clean off the wagon again. Started collecting Ceji Transformers, Mexican TFs again, Diaclone again and gold box classics. Sold prototypes, sold production samples, sold Alternators and Alternators protos. Resumed my goal to complete Ceji Joustra Diaclone collection.

2012-present - Sold (or in the process of selling) all CHUG, Movie 2007, Reissues, Animated, boxed G1, Exclusives, minibots, Gold box Classics to focus solely on Ceji Joustra Diaclone and the odd Finnish Diaclone.

Current collection count is around 100 toys; 35 of which are Joustra Diaclone as well as two factory case boxes (1 full), 25 of which are Binaltech-related, 14 pieces of original Alternators box artwork, 9 or so Japanese/GiG Diaclone, 3 Finnish Diaclones, 4 Mex TFs, 4 Human Alliance, 12 Ceji TFs, 1 Car Robots toy, 2 G1 production samples, 3 reissues 2 model kits and 1 Grapple wheel. Oh and a few Mini-cons :)

Phew.

All the best
Maz

tinyJazz
25th August 2012, 12:08 AM
Whoa! The mighty Maz!
I've come across your site a few times and it's fascinating, I really appreciate the effort you've put into it. Sounds like you've got quite a challenging collection too.
Welcome sir, so nice to have you with us. :)

liegeprime
25th August 2012, 12:09 AM
Mabuhay!!

Welcome to Ozformers! Yeah HD mentioned you in his more recent purchase in the G1 related threads here. Hope you enjoy your stay and share your knowledge as well as your collection pics when you can :D:D ( we love looking at people's collections here):D:D

I kinda laughed at that part -2000-2001 ... discovered ebay - all downhill from there . LOL I can certainly relate. :D Though compared to what you guys (HD) are getting Im certainly lightweight in what Im after and getting. Only a few more ActionMasters (darn those Euro exclusives!!:mad::mad:) which are quite hard to locate as Ive only got ebay as a source.

Anyways....
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/DSC02007-1.jpg

I hope to visit your site to have a good read of the articles.... lord knows I try to read HD's every now and then, but I easily get distracted by the pretty pictures and end up just looking on instead of reading as well. LOL

SuspectimusPrime
25th August 2012, 12:48 PM
Welcome Maz!

I've recently read your work with Project Vanguard and the Black Tracks fraud through HD - what gripping reads! Like most relatively new collectors, I'll have to settle for enjoying the history of vintage TFs vicariously, and your information provides for the best and most thorough 360 degree perspective.

Thank you for sharing your journey and experiences :)

Cheers!

KalEl
25th August 2012, 05:41 PM
Welcome to the boards !!!
Awesome background dude!
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj621/KalElofKrypton87/44583114.jpg

Sam
25th August 2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, cheers!

kreh80
25th August 2012, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I will start reading some of you articles.

Welcome.

Trent
25th August 2012, 09:07 PM
Hello!!!!

Slag
26th August 2012, 12:08 AM
Whoaa:eek:. I could relate to 1998 to 2001, but when i got to your 2003 !!
I was like Bastion in Neverending Story, yelling at the screen.. "Don't sell them!":p
Welcome mate, Would love to see some pics of your variants and diaclones:)

Hursticon
26th August 2012, 11:10 PM
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a409/Darkone666au/Webpics/6.gif

Greetings and Welcome to OZformers! :D

That is an amazing account of your TF-related collecting history Maz! :eek:
Should've been expected I guess seeing as your article on "Vanguard", Diaclone (Black) Countach, was brilliantly written as I really enjoyed the collaboratively forensic approach you took with it. ;):cool:

As Liege & HD have likely mentioned, we do indeed love perusing the collections of others so I hope you'll consider sharing with us some pics of your collection dude; please feel free to post/link (to) them over here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15). :D

Some questions for your consideration good sir! :p
Who is your favourite character & figure?, also which side do your prefer: Autobot or Decepticon? :cool:

5FDP
27th August 2012, 09:14 AM
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6158/drunkprime.jpg

deadonarrival
28th August 2012, 01:38 AM
Hello and welcome!

GoktimusPrime
28th August 2012, 10:22 AM
Hello again. :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/wb_dotmmega.jpg

Maz
28th August 2012, 07:44 PM
Thank you all for such a kind and warm welcome and for the generous words about the articles, I'd be more than happy to post some collection pictures this evening!

I don't have a big collection any more, in total not even 100 pieces but what I have I'd be happy to show :) A case of sacrificing many toylines and figures to concentrate on a select few.

All the best
Maz

Maz
28th August 2012, 07:52 PM
Some questions for your consideration good sir! :p
Who is your favourite character & figure?, also which side do your prefer: Autobot or Decepticon? :cool:

Greetings Hursticon! :)

My favourite G1 character as a child was Starscream, but now I would have to say Mirage. He is the hero of MTMTE after all, and a spectacular 1979 F1 car to boot! Second place would be Cyclonus ;)

100% Autobot for me!

I find it hard to imagine Transformers toy/action figures much better than Masterpiece MP-01 Convoy, BT-01 Smokescreen or Alternators Mirage! Vintage-wise, hard to deny the beauty that is G1 Sunstreaker, Jazz and Mirage. And Sideswipe. Also Tracks. I'll stop there.

And Smokescreen.

:D

All the best
Maz

1orion2many
28th August 2012, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the board:)