PDA

View Full Version : Leader clas brawl replacement cannons

kreh80
26th August 2012, 07:55 PM
Hi everyone,

After recently acquiring a junker Leader Class Brawl off iamirondude I decided to have a go at making up the missing tank cannon and turrets for it.

These are not meant to be an exact replica but to make the tank mode look like a tank for my young son to be able to play with it. I searched the web looking for model tank kits but they were quite expensive. I then looked into getting a plastic replica done at a plastic molding shop (or doing it myself) but that looked like alot of time for what I was trying to do. It was also going to run my money.

At last I decided to buy some 6mm timber dowel from the local hardware store and then hunt around my shed for items that I may be able to use.

For the main cannon I placed a broken threaded compressor fitting at the base, then I placed a bit of clear tubing a little further along and melted it into place with a lighter and my fingers (you can see my prints in one of the photo :rolleyes:), at the end I placed a screw cover fitting and drilled a hole in either end. I used a hot glue gun to fix it in place as you can still remove it and the noise it still able to be activated.

The two smaller cannons I used the 6mm dowel and placed a square lego at the base and a round lego at the end. I drilled through the end, and, at the base, I drilled just far enough through for the dowel to fit into and use the other side of the lego to connect into the original fitting.

Finally my photo/frame restorer next door neighbour painted them for me.

Not super professional, I know, but it's good enough for family and friends to not recognize until I point it out.

Just wanted to share with you all. I also put another thread up of a display case I have started working on.

Thanks

Kurt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85824998@N03/sets/72157631249438320/

iamirondude
26th August 2012, 08:27 PM
nice work,alot of people won't be able to tell that it's a custom job on him.

Deonasis
26th August 2012, 10:37 PM
Well done. That is very decent :thumbsup

Hursticon
27th August 2012, 12:03 AM
Looks pretty damn good & effective to me Kreh :eek: - Top work dude, I bet your little bloke wont know or care about the difference and will dig it immensely! ;):cool:

kreh80
27th August 2012, 07:43 AM
Well done. That is very decent :thumbsup

Thanks very much.

Looks pretty damn good & effective to me Kreh :eek: - Top work dude, I bet your little bloke wont know or care about the difference and will dig it immensely! ;):cool:

Thanks also. I do have a complete Brawl but this one can be displayed and played with and I don't have to worry about the cannons being accidentally broken.

UltraMarginal
27th August 2012, 12:57 PM
Brilliant, simple resurrection of an incomplete figure. very well done.

AJ_Prime
27th August 2012, 02:13 PM
That looks great, much better than the original!