PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Perspex display box

kreh80
26th August 2012, 08:18 PM
As well as making some replacement cannons for Brawl I have started trying to build a display case out of perspex.

I looked it up on a few model boat forums and they recommend cutting the perspex to size and taping it together and then joining the edges with MEK (bad stuff, carcinogenic, be careful if you have a go at it yourself.) this is called capillary joining. I taped it all together and then used a hypodermic needle to inject the MEK into the edge.

I have never before gone to a chemist asking for some cheap needles to buy. :D

It does melt the perspex in together well, my Dad did a similar thing with boxes for his car collection, but he used superglue at a few points along each join. It worked but you see the glue drops.

The problem was I cut my pieces out with a jigsaw and I didn't get a dead straight edge. I am going to get some other pieces cut at a workshop somewhere then the whole edge with mold in together.

I wet sanded the edges back with some fine wet dry sandpaper and polished it up with some chrome polish. This bought the edges up like glass.

I plan on doing some cases for my more expensive figures, which would be in no way as expensive as some of the ones I have seen on here, but for a small cost it will make them look nice and help to protect them from some dust, and........... kids. :D:D:D

When I refine it all I will post some more pics.

Thanks again everyone

Kurt
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85824998@N03/sets/72157631249449590/

iamirondude
26th August 2012, 08:29 PM
dude i gotta get ya to make me some,that looks awesome.

Trent
26th August 2012, 08:30 PM
Looks good dude! I may try this myself in the future.

KalEl
26th August 2012, 09:33 PM
great idea man

kreh80
26th August 2012, 09:39 PM
dude i gotta get ya to make me some,that looks awesome.

Yeah we will Dicko. I'll make one up for that lawsons prime you have.

Looks good dude! I may try this myself in the future.

It is pretty easy Trent. Getting the perspex offcuts, and, getting them cut to size on the cheap is the most important bit I think.

For the lid I was just going to place transparent self adhesive furniture floor protectors on the underside to lock it in place.

You could also use these under the base to raise it up a bit.

I was also thinking that you could use a nice piece of timber as the base and use decorative screws to hold the inverted box in place.

Another good idea I have come across are Cheap/second hand fishtanks placed upside down on a piece of timber or even just on the shelf.

Deonasis
26th August 2012, 10:49 PM
Very cool!

5FDP
27th August 2012, 09:11 AM
That looks great. Well done!

Yukitora
29th August 2012, 10:38 AM
I want some for my BJD and various dolls. But i don't want it completely sealed.