PDA

View Full Version : Sunstreaker Cosplay progress 85%

Yukitora
29th August 2012, 10:52 AM
full shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84552714@N03/7883987498/

I thought i'd update you on what G1 Sunstreaker cosplay progress is so you can give me some feedback. Bits have changed a bit but this is the newest full shot i have. (3 days old)
The arms have been an extreme @$%*^$ and have design change 4 times. now it is glue to the length of my arm just to keep it on.
The design has also gone backwards from Mesh Sunstreaker, and is more boxy instead of sexy Lambo :(
So, yes there will be a Sunny 3.0 -.-;

This Sunstreaker is completely soft and huggable. The only hard bit is the face and some other parts feel slightly harder because of shape.

parts linky here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/84552714@N03/sets/72157631015464150/

Any feedback is needed. I already know some visual screw-ups but would like your input.

UltraMarginal
29th August 2012, 03:11 PM
Wow, looks great, there is no questioning who the character is.
I only had a quick look as I'm at work, but I'll check it out in a bit more detail later this week.

liegeprime
30th August 2012, 07:05 AM
That is obviously a lot of work hours you've put there Yukitora.

Putting it on and moving about does it feel ok to move around with it on or does it feel it's going to "drop off" some of the parts? Looking at the thigh portion, it does look quite blocky with the thigh portion - though that is very G1 toy accurate. I love the wide feet - again so G1 toy accurate but.. I have to ask is it not difficult to move about with those wide feet?

For the arms have you tried using strong Velcro( pardon if youve already done so) to help keep it on.

I have not made any cosplay costume in my life though I have seen a lot of em in Toyfairs that I attended, so I have no expertise at all in the matter, though I have quite ideas in my head on costumes and tailoring cutting stuff I fully know that execution is a whole different ballgame altogether. With a "sexy" version I have some ideas and can prolly draw it but yeah again, execution wise it could work or not so the end product may or may not be equivalent to what it is on paper.

Keep it up!! Hope to see this project finished and featured in some pics of Cosplay events and stuff!

Yukitora
30th August 2012, 07:52 AM
(Event in Townsville... Where?! no one here can be arsed to show up for a meet)

ah k, i wrote up some working bits in the Transcostumers site. Basicly I've glued the chest and 'shoulders' together. It was the only way. All my paper work had moving portions for the arms, just incase i had to grab some kid - Alex. The box version worked ok too but when the foam was cut n all, I think the softness and weight completely screwed me over.
The feet. As with Mesh sunny, I'll glue (yes his all glue) a sock to the 'foot' simply so i can lift it. If you put it the closest towards the inside of your leg, you don't have to walk like in flippers. The shin part goes all the way in. Once again, designed just in case i have to run after some kid - Alex. The shin is only attached to knee so the 'ankle' is bendable. The feet are like giant slippers. Only thing is, my feet are placed too far behind, so Stairs are challenged sideways. Note, Alex, no stairs! Bloody Dalek.
Unfortunately Mr. Bobbleheads ears kinda hit the shoulders... Masks change shape after they've been glued with bits. yay. joyful little mf.
I have yet to work out the engine block cause currently it sucks and i can't get it off. I wanted to put the lights on the feet too. but they mustn't be important because i keep forgetting them -.- Have a feeling Sideswpe is gonna creep up behind me and 'nnnoooooooo, whhhhhy?' at me!
If I'm lucky I might get to wear it at Uni Cosplay night event. I don't have a car, I don't go to Uni and highly likely to be lugging a kid.

5FDP
30th August 2012, 01:44 PM
Awesome work Yukitora :) I wish I was that creative.

Yukitora
2nd September 2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84552714@N03/7911048996/in/photostream

only some small details left. like sticking it to myself and other things. (wheels, wires, vents) Hand - optional! Since my Sunny only had 1 to start with! Remember, Anyone wanting a photo with Sunny get in touch with me this week.

Also, there will be some clear photos coming so you lot can photoshop to your hearts content! lol.

Autocon
2nd September 2012, 07:17 PM
It looks very fluroscent in one photo then you painted over it in a dark yellow??

Yukitora
2nd September 2012, 08:26 PM
no. its naturally this colour. http://www.flickr.com/photos/84552714@N03/7847661658/in/photostream

Yukitora
7th September 2012, 06:16 PM
it bends
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84552714@N03/7948315216/in/photostream/

UltraMarginal
7th September 2012, 09:57 PM
so, I've finally had a chance to look over your flicker pics and I am thoroughly impressed. :eek:

I Think your detail, coluor and design is very impressive. I have seen costumes that are possibly a little more mobile, but the visual cues and detail in your design are excellent. I'm surprised it only cost you a few hundred to make.

While I imagine that most cos players might prefer to make their own gear and your offer to others to wear your designs at cons just so you can see them in action is very kind. I personally would never fit in your beuitiful sunstreaker:(. I'm sure there might be some out there who woiuld wear a design they didn't make if it was made to fit them.

There might be a few out there who would be open to gvining you their sizes so you could make your designs to fit them, that way you might have a little more chance of getting your designs to a convention. I'm not one to dress up so much anymore myself but there are without a doubt others.

If all else fails you might be able to come down to sydney/brisbane in the future and display your own work yourself.

really good work yukitora.

Hursticon
14th September 2012, 06:47 PM
A bloody amazing effort there Yukitora, well done indeed! :eek::cool: