PDA

View Full Version : Most Powerful Aussie Car

Tober
31st August 2012, 03:18 PM
What is the most powerful Aussie Car? Is it the Holden GTS HSV..?

Yeah, I'm actually having a bit of trouble working this one out... :confused:

And to clarify, I'm referring to production or super-car models, not the 'Invader' etc.

gantz
31st August 2012, 03:37 PM
I had thought the Holden Monaro cV8 would definitely be up there!

loophole
31st August 2012, 04:44 PM
XYGTHO ;)

Trent
31st August 2012, 06:14 PM
It depends on how you define it. By powerful do you mean highest engine output? Or the fastest quarter mile? Fastest 0-100 time? Highest top speed?

Are you speaking in terms of production cars with the most power off the showroom floor? Or are we taking into account modified cars as well?

If you're talking purely in terms of engine output, it would have to be the HSV W427. Around a track I would have to say an Elfin MS8 or T5 would be pretty quick.

But of course these get blown away when you start talking modified cars. :D

crankcase76
1st September 2012, 10:05 PM
depends on the class of cars we are talking about, for the 6 cylinder class it would have to be the XR6 Turbo with a 4lt straight six would have to be a high contender, Holdens 3.6lt V6 engine does not come with a turbo, unless you buy an after market one.

the V8 class would have to be a Holden 5.0lt 308. Aussie made motor that in it's day was the best you could get. i think the last model with that motor was a VR, after that they started to import from the US.

Deonasis
1st September 2012, 11:43 PM
XYGTHO ;)

I know 0 about cars, take this as an aside to the thread and not an attempted answer. So while I doubt it is correct the XY GTHO jumped in my head too, and more specifically the Phase IV, and more specifically 'the'.

Slag
2nd September 2012, 09:14 AM
^ i thought there were only 3.5 phase 4's made and they were XA's Not sure on their kw's though.:o
I would think currently HSV W427 has some big numbers.
Are we talking cars built in oz or just released here ?

Bartrim
2nd September 2012, 09:29 AM
Sorry I only have experience in Japanese cars. Never really worked with Aussie cars:(

Tober
2nd September 2012, 10:11 PM
It depends on how you define it. By powerful do you mean highest engine output? Or the fastest quarter mile? Fastest 0-100 time? Highest top speed?

Are you speaking in terms of production cars with the most power off the showroom floor? Or are we taking into account modified cars as well?

If you're talking purely in terms of engine output, it would have to be the HSV W427. Around a track I would have to say an Elfin MS8 or T5 would be pretty quick.

But of course these get blown away when you start talking modified cars. :D

You're right. I was to vague. :o

Back in 2003-06 we got the Binaltech/Alternator series followed by Alternity. These series had manufactures promoting their flagship cars through licensing. Ford GT and Mustang, Subaru Impretza, Dodge Ram and Viper, Nissan GT-R etc.

So if Holden or Ford were to offer up their current flagship car, most probably a V8 supercar, even maybe from a few years ago, what would it be? :confused:

Decepticon
2nd September 2012, 10:21 PM
Sorry I only have experience in Japanese cars. Never really worked with Aussie cars:(

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone but theres pretty much no such thing as an 'Aussie' car. They are all American owned.

Trent
2nd September 2012, 10:59 PM
I reckon Holden would pick a HSV GTS, and Ford would pick a F6 Typhoon.

Both excellent cars.

Slag
2nd September 2012, 11:01 PM
True... and it's only a matter of time before none will even be built here:( oh well..
if you consider the v8 touring cars (i consider them very modified. they aren't really production cars anymore IMO) you could consider all the drag cars too. not the dragsters, but there are plenty of supercharged/twin turbo/NOS enhanced street cars (not street legal but neither are the V8 supercars) out there with massive horsepower

Trent
2nd September 2012, 11:07 PM
Shhhh. Don't tell anyone but theres pretty much no such thing as an 'Aussie' car. They are all American owned.

While both Holden and Ford are American owned, the fact that they are manufactured here makes them 'Aussie' cars.