PDA

View Full Version : HasTak VS Other bots

Autocon
3rd September 2012, 12:53 AM
Do you think the quality and piant apps are better on 3rd party items than hastak?

You complain about spending $25 on a deluxe, then spend $100 odd dollars on a third party toy.:confused:

Is it worth it? Would you spend ~$80 on a deluxe if there was great paint apps and engineering from hastak?

SuspectimusPrime
3rd September 2012, 02:40 AM
If you are referring to $80 or almost 3 times the normal cost, for a Deluxe found in stores, I would say definitely no. If that's the price on the shelf then think of what Fun Pub will ask for their exclusives! :eek::eek:

If it was double the cost of a normal Deluxe, perhaps. However it would need a Masterpiece level of sculpted detail for cartoon/comic accuracy (maybe interchangeable faces I'll never dare to use); assessories (however unnecessary, like Kremzeek with MP Megs); to not be a repaint; to be of the right scale with the rest of the CHUG lines; and with character bios written by Furman/Roberts and box art (box and not card back) by Guido Guidi :p

Also, most $100 3PP's are voyager size and upwards. Dexlue 3PP's so far are FP Insecticons and Maketoys individual constructions ($390/6) are about $60-70 each ;)

VERT
3rd September 2012, 07:59 AM
3rd party stuff is expensive due to small production runs. Hasbro make 1000's and 1000's more of the same figure. and then repaint the hell out of it. The bigger the run the cheaper it is to produce. If everything Hasbro does looked as good and was like MP Sideswipe I would pay more. But they dont, They are now smaller and cheaper quality than in the past. :(

kurdt_the_goat
3rd September 2012, 11:26 AM
Most people on here have spent 100's for deluxes if you total the amount of money spent on the same mould... Classic seeker for instance! That should probably retail for about $2 based on how many times Hasbro has re-run that one :P

kup
3rd September 2012, 12:18 PM
Most people on here have spent 100's for deluxes if you total the amount of money spent on the same mould... Classic seeker for instance! That should probably retail for about $2 based on how many times Hasbro has re-run that one :P

Yeah, it doesn't have to be 3rd party for a deluxe toy to soar up in price. Exclusives have been at around 3rd party prices for a long time and one could argue that they are of lesser quality as they are just repaints with not as many paint apps and the same quality plastic as a standard toy. Some of them can even cost a lot more once they reach after market.

Before the dawn of the 3rd parties and the Hasbro/Tomy re-releases, the Botcon 07 seekers were going for $250-$300 a piece!

GoktimusPrime
3rd September 2012, 02:42 PM
I don't think any toy is worth paying substantially above RRP for. As VERT said, due to economies of scale, third party toys (and some exclusive toys) are more expensive due to their smaller production runs. Exclusive toys that are straight up repaints usually sell for about the same as the regular mould's RRP (e.g. most eHobby toys), but where there is a retool in a certain set (e.g. BotCon box sets), the cost of the set or each figure is increased to offset the cost of the retooling which is done in a very limited run.

SuspectimusPrime
4th September 2012, 12:11 PM
Don't forget that 3PP's are limited by their channels of sale. They do not have the liberty of approaching local retailers with their merch. It does not mean much for those of us they buy a lot online, but for the producer it limits their exposure to potential buyers that do not have a clue of their existence. Even knowing that certain 3P products will be released soon, we have to keep an eye out otherwise their limited supply sells out, usually within weeks.

I'm assuming that they're limiting their supply because its difficult for them to forecast demand -too little and the scalpers win a healthy cut, as seen here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14017564@N04/5556791260/lightbox/), whilst too many and they're stuck with a shipping container full of slow-moving stock - although FP has been doing a great job.

I noticed that with MakeToys Green Giant, RK's original pre-order stock numbers was about 140 even after shipping began (when kup and the other guys received theirs early August). However a week after it dropped suddenly to 60 - I don't think anybody went and bought 80 pieces of Green Giant, but RK has reduced the numbers they're ordering from MakeToys.

Looks like no Green Giant to play with when I return to Sydney :(:(

theheretic
4th September 2012, 01:10 PM
Are the paint apps better? Not always but usually they are atleast equal to and sometimes they are better.

Engineer is almost always better, atleast it is on what I've purchased.

G1/cartoon accuracy or CHUG is always better.

So in closing, yes I would buy hastak toys at 3rd party prices if they were as good as what the 3rd parties are making. That's probably why I buy MP's.

Sam
4th September 2012, 08:13 PM
I buy any toy where I think the quality and paint apps are good - I don't consider myself loyal to any brand.

It's just that I find the quality of HasTak figures are generally not as good as third party figures.

Like when I bought RTS Perceptor, it was very hard to get one of his arms out because the left side mirror had a longer piece of plastic than the right one and was obstructing the transformation. I had to either cut it or use brute force to get the arm out.

I have not experienced this kind of issue with any third party toy.

kup
4th September 2012, 09:23 PM
So in closing, yes I would buy hastak toys at 3rd party prices if they were as good as what the 3rd parties are making. That's probably why I buy MP's.

If HasTak were making stuff at 3rd party levels, I would be buying them too. I am sure most 3rd party fans would also be doing the same. The reason we buy 3rd parties is because they are offering stuff Has-Tak isn't.

I give my money to whoever makes the best toys, too bad that the 3rd parties have been doing more to earn my money in the last couple of years than Has-Tak.

theheretic
4th September 2012, 10:54 PM
If HasTak were making stuff at 3rd party levels, I would be buying them too. I am sure most 3rd party fans would also be doing the same. The reason we buy 3rd parties is because they are offering stuff Has-Tak isn't.

I give my money to whoever makes the best toys, too bad that the 3rd parties have been doing more to earn my money in the last couple of years than Has-Tak.

I know! I'm going crazy for these combiners! If Has/Tak offered REAL combiners and not these powercore imitations then I'd be all over them. Especially if they were of Superion, Menasor, Devastator or any other G1 in modern style. CHUG! Until they do I will be buying 3rd party. I do like that they've sped up their MP's though and I can't wait to see what's next.

kup
5th September 2012, 10:08 AM
Although the new FOC Bruticus is a step in the right direction for Hasbro (specially after they said they would not do proper combiners because "It's too hard"), I still feel that it was badly executed and looks like a jumbled mess.

If SDCC Bruticus had been something approximating the level of FP Bruticus, I would have gladly paid the inflated price. However even with the better colors, it still looks cheap and badly engineered aside from the awesome box.

I also find it hard to justify the Hasbro retail release due to the stupid colors so I am left with waiting for a Tomy release which will hopefully have more sensible colors otherwise I will just pass on the mold.

5FDP
5th September 2012, 11:13 AM
I also find it hard to justify the Hasbro retail release due to the stupid colors so I am left with waiting for a Tomy release which will hopefully have more sensible colors otherwise I will just pass on the mold.

Can you imagine the backlash if Tomy released Bruticus in the same colours as the SDCC version :eek: It would be the Botcon Seekers all over again :p

If that did ever happen, I would sell my G2 FOC Bruticus in a heart-beat.

kup
5th September 2012, 11:20 AM
Can you imagine the backlash if Tomy released Bruticus in the same colours as the SDCC version :eek: It would be the Botcon Seekers all over again :p

As you said with the Botcon seekers, this scenario is not unheard of so I wouldn't be surprised if they release a game accurate color version. However I am expecting them to do G1 colors but you never know, they could still 'Copy & Paste' what Hasbro did.

SuspectimusPrime
5th September 2012, 03:23 PM

As you said with the Botcon seekers, this scenario is not unheard of so I wouldn't be surprised if they release a game accurate color version. However I am expecting them to do G1 colors but you never know, they could still 'Copy & Paste' what Hasbro did.

If TakTom won't do it, then perhaps Hasbro HK might?? ;)

I would still keep G2 Bruticus - that colour scheme is just hillarious :p

Ode to a Grasshopper
8th September 2012, 11:03 AM
I'll be sticking with the Dudicus even if TT do a game and/or G1-accurate version.

Anyway, re. the OP - I'm planning on picking up MP Lambor and he sure ain't cheap, so yes: I will pay more for better HasTak toys. Maybe not as a regular thing (I don't think the wallet could handle regular MP purchases anyway), but if HasTak do a great version of a TF I want and the price they're asking is worth it IMO then I'll bite.
For me it really comes down to whether or not I want the toy and how much I'm able to spend on it, not who made it.

theheretic
8th September 2012, 11:48 AM
I would pay ALL the moneys for FOC Dinobots, just saiyan... Especially if they happened to be voyager and maybe grimlock could be a little larger. I've seen the early pics of the Has/Tak grimlock and although it looks good, I'm concerned they'll Bruticus it.