PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your backing cards & boxes?

SuspectimusPrime
7th September 2012, 04:04 PM
A Lot of Backing Cards (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOT-9-TRANSFORMER-FILE-CARDS-4-BEAST-WARS-5-TRANSFORMERS-RAZORBEAST-MORE-/290766721810?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item43b30c1312)

People dismiss them, throw the out or chop them up. But I prefer them whole like these.

Just curious, what is everyone doing with their backing cards and empty boxes?

Collecting the backing cards are easy, but boxes are more difficult to store even if you remove all the hard cardboard inside and fold them up. The plastic makes it hard to fold up without damaging/creasing the card too much.

UltraMarginal
7th September 2012, 04:55 PM
Just curious, what is everyone doing with their backing cards and empty boxes?

Collecting the backing cards are easy, but boxes are more difficult to store even if you remove all the hard cardboard inside and fold them up. The plastic makes it hard to fold up without damaging/creasing the card too much.

I keep a lot of the backing cards lately, for cyberverse I just keep the tech specs cards. for larger boxes I keep the artwork, maybe blurbs and tech specs if there are any.

GoktimusPrime
7th September 2012, 11:50 PM
I keep the cards. Most boxes I throw away. The few I keep are put into a cupboard in the collection room, but that's chock full, so there's some piling up in the garage. :( I usually flatten a lot of boxes I get now too.

LordCyrusOmega
8th September 2012, 12:08 AM
Some boxes like Masterpiece, Gen1 or exclusives I'll keep as is. Back in the day with other lines I would cut out artwork and just keep that. For Prime though I'm experimenting with my own version of completism and am keep all boxes and backing cards. The boxes get cut up and glue together flat that keeps all the information but gets rid of anything like barcodes or TM stamps. I was keeping the packages complete with all inserts and plastic bubbles but it ended up taking to much room.

liegeprime
8th September 2012, 12:31 AM
I chuck em in the recycle bin. Some I keep , e.g. Masterpiece boxes, a few G1s (jap versions). Ive got the top portion of the collection room closet quite full, so at times I do a purge of some boxes... I haven't really done much lately - I should and mebbe just sell it to someone who'd like em.:)

M-bot
8th September 2012, 11:50 AM
I've kept the vast majority of my boxes and backing cards, although the more I think about it, the less I can justify why - all they do is take up space I don't have, especially as my collection is beginning to approach 180 or so. They're in a large storage container that is absolutely full.

I'm curious for those who do keep them - why do you keep them? I suppose I'm really looking for reasons to get rid of mine.:o

UltraMarginal
8th September 2012, 12:41 PM
mostly artwork, but also for the techspecs and blurb. not that I ever really look at any of that stuff, but if I throw it out then I wont have the option.:o

Paulbot
8th September 2012, 06:11 PM
I keep too much packaging. Nowadays I tend to keep the front of the box (for the character art) and the back of the box (for the bio).

I still have some complete boxes from the late 80s early 90s (minus the tech specs which I always cut out until G2).

I keep mostly because the bios/art are a key part of what's kept me interested in TFs all these years (even if the bios have got worse). I use to look forward to new figures coming out and reading the bio on the back of each one. Did that just today with some new Cyberverse Legions. (Yes they are online but it's just not the same).

It's also nice to have some physical reminders of what the toys looked like when they were on the shelf.

liegeprime
8th September 2012, 11:14 PM
Well I keep those with good looking art in the box that I like. MP boxes for instance. Short of being a packrat and that of a hoarder is prolly why I keep em. But, now that is has been brought to my attention again, I gotta do a purge sometime. I need that cabinet space.:o:o

SuspectimusPrime
9th September 2012, 12:59 AM
I think I am definitely becoming a hoarder (or just realised that I have been one for some time). I have 50L container full of card-backs (card-backs in A4 sleeves) and squashed boxes. Most of my collection has been bubble-wrapped and stored in 50L containers, but I've been lazy keeping up with that whilst the collection is building. So now I've had some figs sitting around collecting dust for months whilst ironically I've got Transformers packaging in better protection!

theheretic
9th September 2012, 10:11 AM
Almost all my collection is still sealed so I have to keep the boxes/cards. In that eBay auction some of the cards look perfect, how have they removed the plastic bubble from the card without tearing off any of the card?

SuspectimusPrime
9th September 2012, 12:19 PM
Use a knife to cut around the outline of the plastic bubble, try to cut as close to the card as possible without scraping off any of it that's glued to the plastic. After you make the first cut, lay the knife down flat against the surface and glide it around. You should be able to make a clean cut until you get to the bottom (for most Hasbro bubbles), then just carefully saw off the perforated plastic.

If you've got Henkei boxes, the plastic bubble is just taped on by sticky tape. :)

GoktimusPrime
9th September 2012, 04:12 PM
Yup. Nothing like a trusty Stanley Knife at your side when bringing home new toys. :D (and tin snips for boxed toys to cut through those pesky twist ties!)

Before:http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Parramatta%20Meet%20February%202011/th_parrameet_20110220e.jpg After:http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/th_freedom.jpg :)

SofaMan
9th September 2012, 04:22 PM
I cut the bubbles off of cards, keep the card and discard the bubble & insert.

Boxes get the inserts removed and discarded, and the boxes get flattened and kept.

Paperwork gets filed in ring binders. :cool:

KalEl
9th September 2012, 08:52 PM
I am attempting to build a one to one cardboard and plastic Titanic with them :)

GoktimusPrime
9th September 2012, 09:36 PM
Watch out for those plastic blister icebergs!

theheretic
9th September 2012, 09:41 PM
Interesting... I've got a few "doubles" I'll try this out on. Not sure what I'm gonna open and what I'll leave MISB/MOSC. Thanks guys.

UltraMarginal
9th September 2012, 10:09 PM
I am attempting to build a one to one cardboard and plastic Titanic with them :)

haha, inside our outside your home?:D

Something else I do is keep a lot of the bubbles for use when shipping stuff.
they are perfect, thin, lightweight, easy to modify to fit a spece (with a pair of scissors). I've shipped plenty of items that have scraped in under the cheaper price bracket because I used transformers bubbles instead of bubble wrap or styrofoam.

5FDP
10th September 2012, 08:32 AM
I keep them all in plastic tubs - for the ones that are opened ;)

BigTransformerTrev
10th September 2012, 09:44 AM
I keep the Gen 1 boxes, Masterpiece and Collectors Club/Timelines boxes etc. Everything else I keep the backing card or like in cases such as the PCC's the side of the box where the personality and tech-specs are listed. Just too, too much room taken up to keep all the boxes - wish I could. And yeah, that plastic is a bugger to fold

SuspectimusPrime
10th September 2012, 02:22 PM
I was cleaning some out the other night and found the backing for Animated Cybertron-mode Ironhide. The backing card showcased the unreleased Wasp, black Swindle and black Blurr, and that just made me smile and thought of what could have been if the line wasn't prematurely cut.

Maybe someone should set a thread in the creative section to showcase the most creative thing you can build out of transformers packaging! :p The prize can be Fansproject Bruticus or something. We'll also need someone to donate a Fansproject Bruticus.

Something else I do is keep a lot of the bubbles for use when shipping stuff.
they are perfect, thin, lightweight, easy to modify to fit a spece (with a pair of scissors).

That's a really good idea!

Interesting... I've got a few "doubles" I'll try this out on. Not sure what I'm gonna open and what I'll leave MISB/MOSC. Thanks guys.

Do it! Unboxing is fun! Unboxed a few last night that's been sitting around MISB for no good reason. This little gem is awesome:
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/Suspectimus/IMG_5241.jpg

Little dude with a giant head? Yes!

1AZRAEL1
10th September 2012, 03:14 PM
I normally cut the bubble off the card and keep the card. As for most of the G1 stuff, I usually sell because they take up room in storage and would get more appreciation from other people who collect them. Though I do have a few I don't think I will sell, Victory Sabre, Sky Garry, Overlord and a few other special pieces. I keep all the Masterpiece one's too.

I'm on (short) holidays soon, so I will go through it if people are interested. I know 5FDP will be, I told him I was going to do that ages ago :p

5FDP
10th September 2012, 03:29 PM
I know 5FDP will be, I told him I was going to do that ages ago :p

Been waiting ever since man :D

1AZRAEL1
10th September 2012, 03:36 PM
Been waiting ever since man :D

Yea I know, life got in the way :p

Verno
12th September 2012, 04:26 PM
I bought the vast majority of my BW Collection 2nd hand, so I spent a great deal of time looking for backing cards for the Basic and Deluxe sized figures, because I don't consider a figure complete without them.

When it comes to boxes, I prefer them to come with the innards.

griffin
17th September 2012, 02:57 AM
A collection of my size unfortunately needs packaging to be condensed, and plastic bubbles/inserts thrown away. It makes the toys feel more complete with the packaging (before Armada in about 2002, I would just cut out the bios and throw away the rest, because I didn't have the space to keep everything).
Some of the boxes I remember throwing out that I regret, was Omega Supreme and Scorponok... big awesome boxes, but at the time I didn't value packaging, I was only interested in the toys. :(

What I do now though...

The better ones (mostly JP ones), I use as "wallpaper" around the tops of the shelves.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/578.jpg

Of the ones I don't have on display...
Boxes (flattened out)
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/576.jpg

Backing cards (bubbles and inserts removed)
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/579.jpg

And all the inserts and instructions, go into plastic tubs.
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/577.jpg

After regretting not keeping Gen1 packaging in the past, I just about horde everything now... just in case.