PDA

View Full Version : Australian toy dealer selling KO toys?

reillyd
8th September 2012, 06:53 PM
Although there are a couple of genuine transformer items listed, this new toy dealer (who advertises through facebook) seems to be selling a whole range of KO toys....

not as KO toys, though, of course. "Reissues"

http://www.uncletonystoys.com.au/TRANSFORMERS_c_56.html

Starscream77
8th September 2012, 07:23 PM
Although there are a couple of genuine transformer items listed, this new toy dealer (who advertises through facebook) seems to be selling a whole range of KO toys....

not as KO toys, though, of course. "Reissues"

http://www.uncletonystoys.com.au/TRANSFORMERS_c_56.html

Sickening, more KOs flooding the market. And this time it's domestic

Skullcruncher
8th September 2012, 07:42 PM
I reported them here

http://www.counterfeit.com.au/report_counterfeit_products_online.html

Just to see if I get a response.

EDIT: I also emailed 'uncle tony' just to see what he says.

VERT
8th September 2012, 08:10 PM
Oh good I look forward to dealing with them. My son loves grimlock And I'm not going to let him trash a real one. Its fun to watch your kids be able to rip into a g1bot like I did as a kid without trashing a real one that would be tragic. Sure we all know by now what's real and what's not now. L

liegeprime
8th September 2012, 10:10 PM
Ridiculous prices for those KOs....:mad:

VERT
9th September 2012, 06:29 AM
Well yeah they are a bit expensive think i will stick with my dealer in china. :p

reillyd
9th September 2012, 10:50 AM
Sorry if I didn't make this clear, but I wasn't actually recommending anyone buy off him, or recommending him as a seller. I really don't know anything about him, but what I found irksome was that they were being misrepresented as reissues and not clearly counterfeited items.

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th September 2012, 11:59 AM
I notice that he doesn't list the knock off tfs on his ebay store either. What a prick with those prices and wording on his site.. Same with those Voltron toys as well.

Yukitora
9th September 2012, 12:09 PM
Sadly, with you hard core fans buying every toy in bulk and seeing them in 'how many vechicons does it take to change a lightbulb', leaves us newer and isolated fans to the KOs. It makes getting the real thing near impossible, and sometimes a KO is better than nothing. Thank God for the aniversery reissues they did, but thats just a small offering. And you lot throw a shit over them too. I say, if you can find the real toy, then go for it and educated you own kids in showing respect for objects and others. If your stuck with a reissue or KO then aim your anger at the people who brought in bulk without thinking about the future generations.
And those prices are too high for KOs, pay less for a KO and keep your expensive buying for a real toy, even if its got missing parts.
In short, try to avoid a KO but don't go dissing people who are forced to get them because of bulk buyers.

griffin
9th September 2012, 12:51 PM
As noted above, this wasn't to criticise KOs or the people who buy them (some people need them, some people despise them).... this topic was only about a legitimate toy store in Australia, who would face much heftier penalties, is listing fakes as "Reissue", which is an official Transformers product term (making it very deceptive, and illegal, for labelling fake toys with official/registered toy names). People on ebay do it because it is a waste of time prosecuting them, but a registered business is risking big dollar fines, or even jail time.
If they were clearly listed as KOs or fakes, there wouldn't have been as big a deal about it. It'd still be illegal (especially for a registered business to do it), but it wouldn't be trying to fool customers into thinking it was a real Hasbro product.

(I was just thinking last night - it's ironic to realise that the major toy companies (Lego, Hasbro, Mattel) would more likely prioritise finding ways to prevent people from buying the (cheaper) online toys from other countries, than they would care about stopping MORE illegal counterfeit (vintage) toys sold in Australia, because the sale of those would have no impact on their excessive profits)

Skullcruncher
9th September 2012, 01:31 PM
As noted above, this wasn't to criticise KOs or the people who buy them (some people need them, some people despise them).... this topic was only about a legitimate toy store in Australia, who would face much heftier penalties, is listing fakes as "Reissue", which is an official Transformers product term (making it very deceptive, and illegal, for labelling fake toys with official/registered toy names). People on ebay do it because it is a waste of time prosecuting them, but a registered business is risking big dollar fines, or even jail time.
If they were clearly listed as KOs or fakes, there wouldn't have been as big a deal about it. It'd still be illegal (especially for a registered business to do it), but it wouldn't be trying to fool customers into thinking it was a real Hasbro product.

(I was just thinking last night - it's ironic to realise that the major toy companies (Lego, Hasbro, Mattel) would more likely prioritise finding ways to prevent people from buying the (cheaper) online toys from other countries, than they would care about stopping MORE illegal counterfeit (vintage) toys sold in Australia, because the sale of those would have no impact on their excessive profits)

Yeah its still illegal for a registered business....but looks like Uncle Tonys has been proactive and removed them. I hope he gets point with buyers for this.

VERT
9th September 2012, 04:12 PM
My Toyworld sold real cheap KO Turtles and even 3rd Party TFs......Sadly the place burnt down. :(

ChlorHex
10th September 2012, 10:31 PM
Wouldn't it have been better contacting this Uncle Tony's shop owner first and highlighting to him that it's not on selling fakes instead of reporting him so quickly?
He's been quick to pull down the toys from his site as some of you have mentioned.
I don't support KOs but the reality is, there are quite a few places that openly sell them... are you going to lynch these shops as well?
Almost all Toyworld stores that I have been to sell KOs... not just KO Transformers, but KO Sylvanian Family toys, KO My little Pony, etc, etc.
It's endless... especially little local family owned toy stores... even Big-W should a few!
Some of these owners I've had a chat with sell KOs as an alternative to the pricier originals (yeah, not a good practice but not all parents can afford the real deal for their kids... I think the bulk of collectors here are busting with cash with 2 incomes and no kiddies in tow).
I don't buy my kids KOs, don't get me wrong... but I understand the needs of some families who do as toys aren't their utmost priority.
As collectors (much like what Yukitora said), how many can openly say that they've never bought the same toy in duplicate? (I know I have on numerous occasions!)
Cut these local toy shops some slack... notice something wrong? Tell em first before you report them.
I'd rather these guys make a living and accept that some KOs fill the toy scene as it's just toys afterall...

Trent
11th September 2012, 07:14 AM
As collectors (much like what Yukitora said), how many can openly say that they've never bought the same toy in duplicate? (I know I have on numerous occasions!)

I can. The only one that comes close is Henkei Hot Rod. But I only bought that because my classics Hot Rod broke and I needed a replacement.

But other than that I have no toys in duplicate. I have no desire to. But that doesn't mean that I hate on people that do. That is what free market capitalism is all about after all. And besides that, a very small number of people buying multiples of a few select molds isn't really going to reduce supply by that much except after that toy has ceased production, but I just attribute that to being too slow. I should have bought it earlier and the inflated prices are my penalty.

reillyd
24th September 2012, 12:50 PM
Although many had been pulled, when I checked last week there were still insect icon Bombshell and Cyclonus listed. Perhaps they ARE genuine originals, but if so then they are greatly UNDERpriced and this makes me wary.

I normally would have overlooked this and not said anything, but given that it's an Australian seller with a retail presence, and that said KO were not clearly identified and mixed with legitimate Hasbro Takara items, there is a fairly good chance that "average" buyers would be confused, and this might apply to ozformers members as well.

Mythirax
9th November 2012, 04:48 AM
I've noticed this 'toy world' in Victoria has started selling knock off transformers. Specifically Dark of the Moon ones. Only part I don't get is the front of the store doesn't say Toy World, yet the toyworld website lists it as one of it's locations.

Store Location (http://www.toyworld.com.au/?q=node/175)

Is it common for some places to maybe be a toyworld re-seller? Regardless, not worth the trip to this place as the knock offs cost more than the real thing!

Bidoofdude
10th November 2012, 07:33 PM
I passed that place, it has a black, old looking sign. WE were looking for toyworld.

adds
10th November 2012, 07:48 PM
I was in there today hoping to find the new data discs.

This is one of the KO's sitting next to optimus maximus:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8478/8171562802_c660bb04a1.jpg

On a better note they had 75% off kreo. :)