PDA

View Full Version : Transforming Collections Toy Reference Book

Sky Shadow
8th September 2012, 08:17 PM
If all you guys in the basement want a coffee table book to read while you're down there, Phil Reed from www.battlegrip.com is releasing Transforming Collections - if you want one, go here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/transforming-collections-toy-reference-book?ref=card

An interview with more information is here: http://www.fruitlesspursuits.com/2012/09/transforming-collections-interview-with.html

KalEl
26th September 2012, 09:49 AM
Exciting news! I am doing an interview with Phil reed on sat about his 3rd party reference book "transforming collections".

If you have a question for Phil please let me know but Friday, and I'll see what I can do :)

Cat
26th September 2012, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I do.

On the KS page, he lists what he defines as the difference between third party and a KO.

Yet it seems the X-Transbots Wheelie will be featured. It's a KO of a Wonderfest kit, which made it a licensed item.

So why is he including that one, even though it's a KO, and against his own definition?

Am I missing something there, does he not know about the Wonderfest kit, what? I'm curious.

griffin
27th September 2012, 01:10 AM
Ask him... maybe he just didn't know (few people do).

KalEl
27th September 2012, 06:32 AM
See what I can do :) any other questions?

KalEl
30th September 2012, 10:45 AM
Interview with Philip Reed, Creator of the 3rd party reference book "Transforming Collections" is up

http://kalelofkrypton.podbean.com/2012/09/29/shooting-the-sht-the-toy-podcast-phil-reed-interview/

MP3 (http://kalelofkrypton.podbean.com/mf/web/j4xghd/philreedinterviewseptember2012.mp3)

Phils sites: www.battlegrip.com www.transformingcollections.com

Phils Twitter: @philipjreed

Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/transforming-collections-toy-reference-book

Cat
3rd October 2012, 07:41 PM
Sorry but I hate podcasts/audio/video reviews/interviews. Just not my thing.

Did you ask the question about Wheelie?

Sky Shadow
4th October 2012, 07:32 AM
Sorry but I hate podcasts/audio/video reviews/interviews. Just not my thing.

Did you ask the question about Wheelie?

Not just Wheelie too - they also knocked off Jizaitoys' Powerglide who was also a legitimate Winter and Summer Wonder Festival exclusive.

(I agree with your first sentence too - I like reading.)

liegeprime
4th October 2012, 08:44 AM
ill have to listen to it again... I fell asleep:o:o what? I was listening to it at night time after work, a bit tired... it's sort of like a radio to me, but yeah I got only to about Phil's intro and poof... I remember nothing , next thing I knew it was 7 am:D But I'll listen to it again while reaaranging my collection room.

Hursticon
7th October 2012, 12:44 PM
T'was a good interview & I can't wait to receive my copy, especially as it has been bumped up to:

8"x8"
48 pages
Hardcover

In the case of Wheelie & Powerglide, I remember hearing or reading somewhere that those molds were actually sold or leased for the production of the figures that you guys are calling KOs - If I remember or can find the source for this, I'll post it here. :)

Cat
9th October 2012, 10:06 AM
T'was a good interview & I can't wait to receive my copy, especially as it has been bumped up to:

8"x8"
48 pages
Hardcover

In the case of Wheelie & Powerglide, I remember hearing or reading somewhere that those molds were actually sold or leased for the production of the figures that you guys are calling KOs - If I remember or can find the source for this, I'll post it here. :)

I'd read that too, but (in my opinion at least) that'd still make them KO's, as they're not authorised product anymore, and are a new production run with new materials.

Hursticon
9th October 2012, 07:53 PM
I'd read that too, but (in my opinion at least) that'd still make them KO's, as they're not authorised product anymore, and are a new production run with new materials.

When you say dude "they're not authorised product anymore", by who's authority are you referring? - The original designer/engineer who was granted a 1 day sales license for the product at Wonderfest or Takara themselves? :confused:

Just curious man as, IMO, I can't see how it is a KO at all if the Original Designer/Engineer legally sold/leased his work to a 3rd Party for semi-mass production, as the product was only ever essentially a piece of fan art granted the permittance of sale at an Officially sanctioned event. :o

Cat
22nd October 2012, 05:31 PM
I meant not authorised by TakTom.

It's a bit of a tricky one though.

Hursticon
24th October 2012, 12:03 PM
I meant not authorised by TakTom.

It's a bit of a tricky one though.

I'm with you there; it's one of those ones that skate on a very thin edge, but a different edge compared to that FansProject for instance. :)

Cat
10th September 2013, 12:17 PM
I got my copy last week. I didn't think it was going to be very good, but thought I'd best add it to my reference library.

It's pretty bad.

Remember the dodgy guides from the late 90's, with terrible photos of junker toys missing accessories, that were sold as 'Complete Guides'?

This reminds me of a modern version of those.

The photos are nice, but there's just nothing to it. It doesn't seem to cover anything in any kind of signifigance, so you get a mix of complete crap and good product, and no consistency about manufacturers. I don't think any are fully represented.

Wouldn't it have been better to, for instance, give more pagetime to iGear and leave out Impossible Toys, other than a footnote at the start or something.

As it is, this book isn't much of anything. It's useless as any kind of reference, there's no order or chronology, so all you really have is a book with random photos of some toys.

I fail to see how this product is useful for ANY audience. Instead, it feels like they've sliced up all the potential audiences, so nobody is happy and nobody gets anything worthwhile.

Just my opinion, sorry, but it's not worth more than a tenner, as far as I'm concerned.

Something I noticed the other day, which is PRETTY IMPORTANT:
I'd just like to point out that he credits Dallas Vintage Toys for letting his borrow and photograph some of their stock.

Dallas Vintage Toys, in particular owner Shaun Neinest is nothing but a SCAMMER. He's been scamming people longer than most of you have been in the hobby. His expertise, particularly scamming, is vintage Star Wars.

Terrible choice of people to associate with. DO NOT DEAL WITH NEINEST, YOU WILL REGRET IT. Google his name and look up his history on places like Rebelscum, where he's even admitted to a lot of it over the years.

Just a warning to anyone who saw that little dedication in the book.

UltraMarginal
10th September 2013, 02:14 PM
Wow, that's pretty dissapointing, I know a lot of people were pretty excited for this. I missed it completely but thanks to your review CAT, I don't think I'll be chasing it up on the secondary market.

KalEl
10th September 2013, 02:35 PM
For those interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBAEkq1_cvU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUROf_lOxJO7P6ta0oxNwf9Q

Just a little quick look at the book.

Though i can respect Cats opinion on the store mentioned. I personally think the book is quite nice and it depends on what you like the book for. I'm happy just to browse through and look at the pictures :)

I have 2 copies available if anyone missed out and wants one.

liegeprime
10th September 2013, 03:06 PM
Well Ive received my book and I think it's a nice reference book. Ill bring it next fair so you guys can have a browse thru and if you want one at least you know who to go to. It's smallr than I expected, but it works out well coz I can store it in my shelf with ease.:D

KalEl
10th September 2013, 04:14 PM
Well Ive received my book and I think it's a nice reference book. Ill bring it next fair so you guys can have a browse thru and if you want one at least you know who to go to. It's smallr than I expected, but it works out well coz I can store it in my shelf with ease.:D

glad you're happy bro

lancalot
27th September 2013, 12:22 PM
he doing a second book on kickstarter now....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/102137316/transforming-expectations-toy-reference-book

Cat
27th September 2013, 01:37 PM
Looks like he'll hit the minimum with no problems, so obviously the first one found an audience that liked it.

My problem is that now, it's going to be even worse as a reference material.

While not entirely fair due to their awesomeness, let's use the Million Publishing Generations books as a kind of reference.

If I want to see a certain figure, it's all done by year and series, so it's easy to find who I want.

With these, the toys are random. So which volume is iGear Hench in again? Hmm. Could be either. Could be neither. Gonna have to look at both, and it still might not be there.

I'd much prefer he focus them more, even if it meant cutting out some companies. Save them for subsequent volumes, even if you need to set yourself an arbitrary starting point and system going forward. You're going to know if you can be comprehensive or not, and realistically, odds are it's more towards the not side, which is fine and dandy. But help the reader out, and yourself, by giving it some direction going forward. Just my two cents, and obviously a minority, as shown by the fact it's almost hit funding already.