PDA

View Full Version : Encore 23 Fort Max

fatbot
3rd October 2012, 10:54 PM
Two different sources on Facebook are reporting Fort max as encore 23, released in Feb 2013. Bbts has preorders up, $350 for the slow shipment -$399 for air shipment. Postage is $104 to Sydney.

Paulbot
3rd October 2012, 11:02 PM
:eek:

liegeprime
3rd October 2012, 11:11 PM
Sweet! At least I dont have to pay $1000+ for one, much cheaper.:)

UltraMarginal
3rd October 2012, 11:17 PM
I was just about to post about this!! saw the advert on BBTS email.

AWESOME.
I wonder if Robot Kingdom will be any cheaper? they don't list it yet.

BBTS early shipment $400
slow shipment $350.

There goes one of your April fools Jokes Gok.:D

Sutton
3rd October 2012, 11:23 PM
Jesus.

I guess someone in a suit realised how much some people were spending on 3rd party combiners...

Sutton
3rd October 2012, 11:25 PM
Oh and 6 months to save is pretty thoughtful too.

VERT
3rd October 2012, 11:27 PM
Okay now if this is true I hope we get a Grand Max. Dont really believe this yet. Need more evidence its real.

fatbot
3rd October 2012, 11:27 PM
I just checked BBTS, it's $104 for shipping on any number of them. The problem is we can only get a max of 2 at a time to dodge any taxes on them. Group orders will be a lot harder for him.

kup
3rd October 2012, 11:31 PM
I just checked BBTS, it's $104 for shipping on any number of them. The problem is we can only get a max of 2 at a time to dodge any taxes on them. Group orders will be a lot harder for him.

I guess people would need to pair up. $52 shipping for two toys that size coming from the US isn't bad.

kurdt_the_goat
3rd October 2012, 11:31 PM
Keen to see what the yen price is...

liegeprime
3rd October 2012, 11:35 PM
I guess people would need to pair up. $52 shipping for two toys that size coming from the US isn't bad.

Also there is the POL system with them so it'll be alright you can still squeeze a couple more small ones in there heheheh :D

BUT wait... you sure this isnt... a prank?:confused::confused: or a prophecy fulfilled... Does Gok know something we don't???

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/encore-23-is-going-to-be-fortress.html

but then I checked out BBTS

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11578&mode=retail

IT IS REAL WOhoooo!!!!!

fatbot
3rd October 2012, 11:53 PM
Also there is the POL system with them so it'll be alright you can still squeeze a couple more small ones in there heheheh :D

BUT wait... you sure this isnt... a prank?:confused::confused: or a prophecy fulfilled... Does Gok know something we don't???

http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/encore-23-is-going-to-be-fortress.html

but then I checked out BBTS

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11578&mode=retail

IT IS REAL WOhoooo!!!!!

you should trust me more, would I lie to you?

liegeprime
3rd October 2012, 11:54 PM
you should trust me more, would I lie to you?

I just didn't wanna get my hopes up to quickly, once bitten twice shy ;P

gdmetro
4th October 2012, 12:19 AM
Wow...I must be dreaming.

Guess this makes me happy for a little while!

Wonder if RK will be cheaper:D:D

Wonder if they'll do grand max?

drahsrebu
4th October 2012, 12:23 AM
Wow.

kup
4th October 2012, 12:27 AM
Wow...I must be dreaming.

Guess this makes me happy for a little while!

Wonder if RK will be cheaper:D:D

Wonder if they'll do grand max?

I already have a Max but it required considerably restoration to make him look mint on my shelf so he isn't exactly 'C9'. As a result I am torn on the actual 'need' to buy a new Max when my restored one will probably look just a as good (and with better plastic/material quality) and buying an 'untouched' Encore Max but with likely lesser material quality.

Plus there is also the almost guaranteed factor that there will be a Grand Max repaint which I will also want to get. Three Maxes seem too much, specially when two would be somewhat the same...

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 01:01 AM
Looks like I already know what I'll be saving up for next after I get MP10 TRU OP!! :D :) Hmmm... I paid $300 for MISB Brave Maximus and $100 for insured postage... so $400 for toy + postage isn't too bad I suppose. Maybe we should organise a Sydney group order in pairs? i.e. people interested can post and "pair up" with a partner? <shrugs> Or maybe I should wait for the Yen price... might be cheaper to get it direct from Japan.

There goes one of your April fools Jokes Gok.:D
Not the first time too! I made an April Fools Joke about Masterpiece Grimlock, and then that came true! :D I was secretly hoping that lightning might strike twice and another one of my April Fools jokes would come true too. Yay! (still no sign of MP Jetfire though :p)

valkyrie_76
4th October 2012, 01:20 AM
All I have to say is.......

TOLD YOU SO!!!!! :D:D:D

During the Cybertron-con at Singapore in March, TakaraTomy never denied the question when we asked if there rumour was true about the Encore Fort Max.

.......I paid $300 for MISB Brave Maximus and $100 for insured postage... so $400 for toy + postage isn't too bad I suppose.......

The Brave Max I recently got was 30000yen plus 11000yen EMS postage which worked out to be $525 total with PayPal.

UltraMagnus
4th October 2012, 01:55 AM
.... *pats himself on the back after telling this very website more than a year ago this would happen*....

Yes.... I told you so.

Tober
4th October 2012, 04:53 AM
So what was all that stuff about Fort Max failing the "drop test"? Was that just for the USA? :confused:

Anyway, this will be a Japanese mass release, so wait for Amiami etc to list competitively. That should be considerably cheaper than BBTS, although they may not let you order more than one.

As far as customs goes, personally I wasn't charged for a few orders that were a few hundred over the $1K limit. Although they were declared in JPY, so maybe they just didn't want to do any math... :rolleyes:

swoop
4th October 2012, 06:47 AM
I didn't really think it would happen but I'm so glad that it has.

I won't be ordering from bbts I'm hoping that hlj put it up with a 20% early bird preorder but maybe that's hoping for to much. I think if this sells well that a grand max reissue will happen and it'll open the door for scorponok and black zarack.

liegeprime
4th October 2012, 06:48 AM
@ Tober: Maybe they just don't care anymore about them drop tests :D. Maybe they finally realized, this toy is for collectors NOT for kids who might get hurt with such a big heavy toy.:D I doubt any parent would fork out that much for a toy to their kid anyhow, unless the kid is old enough to handle it. Or maybe theyve changed the plastic material that it wont do that splintering as with our new toys most feel "different" nowadays in plastic feel compared with the old... well it's gonna be from Japan they don't have them drop test, drop test, to worry about either way Im very happy.

An eventual Grand Max repaint would be awesome as well so I can finally own all three in a muuuuch cheaper way.:D:D:D of course if they also would like to do a Brave Max repaint, Id welcome that so I can have it all 3 brand new - my original Brave Max will then be in city mode for display as I really prefer Brave Max's colors for the city mode first time I saw it at that 2006 toy convention at Wharf 8 ( griffin's toy display).

@ Gok: - hehehe keep making "prophecies" like that eh, I even posted the link of HD crediting you as his source on that April fools Joke post he made... now do Overlord!!:D

@ kup: Aww cmon, get him - then display whicever is prettier in bot mode and the other in city mode for a diorama display:D

@UltraMagnus: I seem to remember about that cryptic post you made... and you did say , coming from a very very credible source - you can't divulge much at that time coz that guy might get in trouble with the powers that be at HAstak ;).....

@swoop - oh yeah Black Zarak!! I want one too, a cheap one with no gold plastic syndrome!

I wonder how will all those previous Maxiis on ebay wil fare now? :rolleyes: Would this bring down the price or jack it up even more?

I am going to have to save a whoooole lot more. :o:o:o

Ode to a Grasshopper
4th October 2012, 07:47 AM
Not the first time too! I made an April Fools Joke about Masterpiece Grimlock, and then that came true! :D I was secretly hoping that lightning might strike twice and another one of my April Fools jokes would come true too. Yay! (still no sign of MP Jetfire though :p)MP Animated Lugnut next year please.:D
now do Overlord!!:DOr this.

5FDP
4th October 2012, 08:14 AM
People have been speculating over this release for many years now, it was inevitable really but still great news for anyone that wants a complete minty fresh one without spending over 1k.

The appeal is lost on me. Having grown up in the 80's in Oz and only watching the cartoon and reading the Marvel comic series, I wasn't really exposed all that much to Fortress Maximus. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why many of you are excited, I personally can't justify spending $400+ (including shipping) on what is essentially a brick.

Sky Shadow
4th October 2012, 08:26 AM
I'm thinking that since BBTS is going to be double-handling with heavy postage it's probably going to be better to order from Amiami or HLJ or somewhere else straight from Japan. After they've already bought this one, I wonder how many people are going to get the $#!*$ if Encore 24 is Grand Max with the pretender shell? ;)

hanprimus
4th October 2012, 08:57 AM
Now everyone can get one MISB! Wonderful news! If Takara then decides to reissue Scorponok (if FM can why not Scorpy?) then the price should be half of FM, bring it on.

sideswipes brother
4th October 2012, 09:03 AM
People have been speculating over this release for many years now, it was inevitable really but still great news for anyone that wants a complete minty fresh one without spending over 1k.

The appeal is lost on me. Having grown up in the 80's in Oz and only watching the cartoon and reading the Marvel comic series, I wasn't really exposed all that much to Fortress Maximus. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why many of you are excited, I personally can't justify spending $400+ (including shipping) on what is essentially a brick.

Exactly how i feel. Im not interested in this at all.

Slag
4th October 2012, 09:20 AM
Good news!:). not seeing the swords though. I wonder what style/material the box will be.

I must've been looking at the wrong picture:o

theshape
4th October 2012, 09:28 AM
Fort Max is a Brick but so are most of the G1's, I love the 80s robot style far more than the later stuff (but thats just me :o )

Robzy
4th October 2012, 09:31 AM
Can't wait!! Knew this would happen, but great to see it's finally official!! :)

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 09:59 AM
All I have to say is.......

TOLD YOU SO!!!!! :D:D:D

During the Cybertron-con at Singapore in March, TakaraTomy never denied the question when we asked if there rumour was true about the Encore Fort Max.

The Brave Max I recently got was 30000yen plus 11000yen EMS postage which worked out to be $525 total with PayPal.

.... *pats himself on the back after telling this very website more than a year ago this would happen*....

Yes.... I told you so.

Now please tell me which horse will win this year's Melbourne Cup! :D :p

Anyway, I personally never believe in anything until it's officially announced because I don't wanna get my hopes up in case it doesn't happen! ;) I'm totally gonna get Encore Fortress Maximus. Firstly because I just want a MISB complete Fort Max, but also I hope that this toy will sell well and prompt TakaraTOMY to do more reissues -- especially more big cityformer reissues like Trypticon (they used the mould for Gigastorm in Beast Wars!) and Scorponok (not sure if they still have the mould... hope so!) etc.

So what was all that stuff about Fort Max failing the "drop test"? Was that just for the USA? :confused:
Yeah, that's only in America. That's why Takara was able to release Brave Maximus for Car Robot, but Hasbro couldn't release it as Fortress Maximus for Robots In Disguise.

Fort Max is a Brick but so are most of the G1's, I love the 80s robot style far more than the later stuff (but thats just me :o )
To be honest, Fortress Maximus really isn't that impressive a Transformer action figure, even by G1 standards. The transformation/engineering isn't all that clever -- toys like Triggerhappy and Snapdragon have far more interesting designs. And the size kinda makes him hard to interact with other Transformers as an action figure. Marvel Comic artists had to significantly downsize him to make him work, like going toe to toe with Galvatron. Toywise Fort Max could just step on Galvatron (whereas in the comics Galvatron could wrestle with Fort Max and rip his circuitry out with his bare teeth!). But Fortress Maximus is a really impressive play set for other Transformers! And unlike Metroplex who's really a playset for the smaller carded Transformers (specifically the Scramble City gestalt limbformers, but Mini-bots work too), Fortress Maximus can work with the larger boxed Autobots! He has all kinds of neat play features like the ramps, launchers, lift, prison etc. that make him a really cool play set. Much better than the Cyberverse rubbish. :p

The real "action figure" feature is in Cerebros -- they made him a Headmasters too (w/ Spike) so that he could be interactive with the other Autobot Headmasters (this play pattern was heavily promoted in the Headmasters anime series) -- but let's face it, Cerebros sucks compared to any of the other Headmasters (because he's just a head... you'd certainly never buy this toy on its own!). But yeah, the real appeal of the toy is as a playset. Oh, and the size is bloody impressive!! :D When my daughter was born I couldn't resist doing this...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Yuki/th_yuki_maximus_20090703.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/bravemaxddr.jpg

IMO $300 for a MISB Fortress Maximus reissue is a good price. It's what I paid for my Brave Maximus, so I consider that within the RRP range (albeit at the upper end - but still acceptable :)). It's a helluva lot cheaper than what you'd pay for a MISB G1 Fortress Maximus now... my G1 Fort Max cost me about $300 and it's yellowed and incomplete (no weapons/radar). So I'm more than happy to pay $300 for an Encore Fort Max... plus it means I still won't be breaking my record of paying $300 for a single toy (Brave Max remains the most expensive TF I've ever purchased -- so this will match it, but won't exceed it -- I don't _want_ to break this record! (unless the toy is bigger/better than a MISB Maximus)

eHobby should totally do Grand Maximus. Still can't believe TakTOM didn't do eHobby Metrotitan. :rolleyes: Gah! I can't find our phone card to call overseas... I wanna call TakaraTOMY and get confirmation about this news (and also ask about the RRP) ... I'll have to wait for the missus to get home (cos she usually uses the card). Anyone else able to call them first?

Trent
4th October 2012, 10:18 AM

This sums my thoughts on the matter up nicely as well. Very glad for those of you who want it, but I personally have no interest.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 10:50 AM
Fortress Maximus was a prominent character in the G1 comics (or as Grimlock calls him, "Forky Maxiface"), which is also part of the appeal of this toy to me. :) In Transformers Prime, the Autobot Elite Guard ship that Ultra Magnus/Sentinel Prime used was called the Steelhaven, which of course was also the name of the ship commanded by Fortress Maximus in G1. :D

Shirokaze
4th October 2012, 10:50 AM
Semi-excited I guess. I already have Brave Maximus, so I don't know if I want to shell out the money....:confused:

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 11:40 AM
That's fair enough. Considering that this is the biggest most expensive (RRP) toy ever, I can definitely understand people not wanting to get this toy unless they were absolutely 100% convinced that they wanted it. It's certainly not something you'd buy on some impulsive whim! :) Also, when we take off our rose-tinted G1 nostalgia glasses, Brave Maximus really is the best looking version of that mould anyway.

liegeprime
4th October 2012, 11:43 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Yuki/th_yuki_maximus_20090703.jpg
Gok's "babies" :D

oh and Gok you can complete that Fort Max you have now if it's just the radar and a few guns, cheaply I may add. But knowing you, you're probably averse to getting resin replicas to substitute for the real thing. You've seen my Brave Max guns right - same stuff but cheaper - I got mine for $50 but this costs less. pm if interested so Ill send you the ... oh wait you dont have an ebay account:mad::mad::mad: oh for crying out loud get an ebay account will yah!!

eHobby should totally do Grand Maximus. Still can't believe TakTOM didn't do eHobby Metrotitan. :rolleyes: Gah! I can't find our phone card to call overseas... I wanna call TakaraTOMY and get confirmation about this news (and also ask about the RRP) ... I'll have to wait for the missus to get home (cos she usually uses the card). Anyone else able to call them first?

NOOOO E hobby should not do this, why because they charge FREAKIN MUCH!! It should just be a regular Taktom Encore release, E-hobby just ruins any savings by charging for items like it's gilded in gold or something - e.g. Omega Sentinel costs double of what Encore Omega Supreme costs - unreal!! and its not even colored well, just plain jane blue and white! :mad::mad:BS pricing....

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th October 2012, 02:03 PM
now do Overlord!!:D

THIS AGAIN AGAIN!

He is a brick, but he's a 2 foot tall brick of awesome!:D

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 02:55 PM
oh and Gok you can complete that Fort Max you have now if it's just the radar and a few guns, cheaply I may add. But knowing you, you're probably averse to getting resin replicas to substitute for the real thing. You've seen my Brave Max guns right - same stuff but cheaper - I got mine for $50 but this costs less. pm if interested so Ill send you the ... oh wait you dont have an ebay account:mad::mad::mad: oh for crying out loud get an ebay account will yah!!
Pppffftt! eBay's for... people who use eBay. :p Besides, once I get Encore Fort Max, this'll all be irrelevant -- I'll have all the accessories I need! Yesss... ;) Plus a minty new Fort Max that isn't all faded and yellowed like mine. Also, I can display the reissue in robot mode and the original in battleship mode! :D

NOOOO E hobby should not do this, why because they charge FREAKIN MUCH!! It should just be a regular Taktom Encore release, E-hobby just ruins any savings by charging for items like it's gilded in gold or something - e.g. Omega Sentinel costs double of what Encore Omega Supreme costs - unreal!! and its not even colored well, just plain jane blue and white! :mad::mad:BS pricing....
:confused: Encore Omega Supreme's RRP is 10,000JPY ($125) and eHobby GADEP's RRP is 13,000JPY ($163) -- so it's a price difference of 3000JPY ($37.53, or a 20% increase; possibly to cover the cost of the exclusive packaging and comic book -- most eHobbies just come in that generic packaging). Although at the time 13000JPY was more like $200 because the Australian Dollar was so weak. :( But still... certainly nowhere near being "double" the RRP of Encore Omega Supreme. And GADEP was the most 'inflated' eHobby toy (i.e. compared to the cost of their regular retail counterpart's RRP). The majority of eHobby exclusives' RRPs are 'uninflated' though.

I hope that there'll be enough market demand for Encore Fortress Maximus and he doesn't languish as a shelfwarmer like other big expensive Encores. Already we're seeing people here talk about how they can't justify the cost of getting this toy because they either have the original G1 toy or Brave Maximus... or they just don't want to get such an expensive item at all. I really don't know if there's enough demand to warrant a regular retail release of an Encore Grand Maximus -- releasing both in the mainstream market would have them cross-competing with each other. You and I may buy both, but a lot of people wouldn't. That's why I think it makes more sense to have it as a more limited eHobby exclusive -- not to shaft fans/collectors, but to make it viable for TakaraTOMY to do it without suffering a loss.

Paulbot
4th October 2012, 03:11 PM
This was a big surprise last night and I quickly put a preorder in a BBTS since why not? Doesn't cost me anything yet.

Then in the morning I woke up and looked at my (still quite new to me, but a bit worn) Fortress Maximus sitting on my drawers and wondered do I really need two?

Fortress Maximus. Fun gimmicks and just by pure size it's damn impressive looking in any collection. But I think part of what made Fort Max such an appealing toy to buy was that it was, until now, generally unobtainable.

Due to price and rarity, having a Fortress Maxmius was a status symbol. It showed you're a little insane to spend so much on a figure, but that you were truly committed to your Transformer collecting . You hunted down parts, or used chemicals to get the white back. You didn't acquire a Fort Max lightly (unless you fluked an opp shop find as has happened).

Now that it's a newly mass-produced figure, that specialness has gone. When the orders start coming in and twenty people in a row post their Fort Max acquisition it wont be the same as the rare acquisitions they've been in the past.

Perhaps Grand Max will fill that void now? Or an intact Black Zarak? Or another Japanese figure. I don't think any other Western release will quite match Fort Max as a object of desire, and that's a little sad.

I'm kind of hoping the Brave Max prices drop. It might happen since I think a lot of the interest in that figure was that it was the cheapest way to get the mold. (And I need one to finish my RID show cast collection)

Regardless getting a nice new MISB version of a G1 toy is great. Long live the Encore line.

SkyWarp91
4th October 2012, 03:19 PM
PRE-ORDERED. WOOO!

5FDP
4th October 2012, 03:33 PM
Now that it's a newly mass-produced figure, that specialness has gone. When the orders start coming in and twenty people in a row post their Fort Max acquisition it wont be the same as the rare acquisitions they've been in the past.

^ This. I couldn't agree more. Encores are great for new collectors however I sometimes feel for the committed fans who save every last penny to buy that allusive vintage item / holy grail.

I guess all of that poses the following question - if you had Fort Max as your 'holy grail' item, would you consider it obtained if buying the Encore version? Personally, I wouldn't.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 04:13 PM
Fortress Maximus. Fun gimmicks and just by pure size it's damn impressive looking in any collection. But I think part of what made Fort Max such an appealing toy to buy was that it was, until now, generally unobtainable.

Due to price and rarity, having a Fortress Maxmius was a status symbol. It showed you're a little insane to spend so much on a figure, but that you were truly committed to your Transformer collecting . You hunted down parts, or used chemicals to get the white back. You didn't acquire a Fort Max lightly (unless you fluked an opp shop find as has happened).

Meh, I don't feel that way at all. IMO unless you intend on selling your toy, reissues shouldn't make a difference to the way you enjoy your toys.

Perhaps Grand Max will fill that void now? Or an intact Black Zarak? Or another Japanese figure. I don't think any other Western release will quite match Fort Max as a object of desire, and that's a little sad.
Your Fort Max toy is every bit as awesome as it ever was, regardless of whether it's been reissued or not. The only thing that would be affected would be the aftermarket sale price. If that's what you're worried about, then you'd better sell your Fort Max now before the reissue comes out. IMO it's a win-win situation for fan/collectors. People who don't have Fort Max now have a more affordable option to get one MISB, or get an original G1 for a lower price than before. The only potential losers would be sellers. When a reissue comes out of a toy that I already have, and I don't want the reissue, I just think, "Meh... this means nothing to me, but it's good news for people who don't already have this toy (or set)." e.g. Predaking

P.S.: ...as you all know, I don't do online shopping... but just out of interest, how does the cost of shipping from BBTS compared to getting it sent directly from Japan?

Paulbot
4th October 2012, 04:25 PM
No it's not about the resale value or what I think about my own toy. And it's great that so many people that wanted Fort Max can get one easily.

But Fort Max was so hard to get (due to rarity and price) that whenever someone finally got one, it was a big moment. I never thought I'd own one, and then I got a good deal from a fellow member and it felt like a significant landmark in my collecting. An achievement. With the Encore release it wont be that achievement for others, and I can't think of another Western release toy that will fill those shoes.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 04:46 PM
I just called TakaraTOMY... the operator hasn't heard of any reissue Fortress Maximus and she's told me that they have no plans on reissuing Fortress Maximus. But TFwiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Fortress_Maximus_%28G1%29)'s now updated their Fort Max page to include the upcoming reissue.

Hmmm... I remain optimistically cautious until we hear an official announcement from TakaraTOMY. It could be that TakaraTOMY's systems show no release plan for Fortress Maximus. <shrugs>

But Fort Max was so hard to get (due to rarity and price) that whenever someone finally got one, it was a big moment. I never thought I'd own one, and then I got a good deal from a fellow member and it felt like a significant landmark in my collecting. An achievement.
Yeah, I felt the same when I got my Fortress Maximus too. :) But the reissue won't change that for me.

With the Encore release it wont be that achievement for others, and I can't think of another Western release toy that will fill those shoes.
I can only see that as a good thing. Yes, getting Fortress Maximus did feel like a big achievement, because as you said, it was something I thought I'd never get. One reason why I got Brave Maximus in 2001-02 was because I thought I'd never get it, so Brave Max would have to suffice. And sufficed he did for a few years until I finally got a Fort Max from another member. :) But honestly, I actually wish that Takara had reissued Fortress Maximus years ago and saved me $300 buying a faded/yellowed second hand loose Fort Max with no accessories -- I'd much rather spend that money buying a MISB reissue.

Anyway, I think Fortress Maximus is the one G1 toy that a lot of fans wanted TakaraTOMY to reissue (out of the moulds that we know they still have).

Slag
4th October 2012, 05:12 PM
I would agree.. Hypothetical example ..Now... A (non-transfan) mate comes around and comments on your giant red,white and blue robot....

Mate - "Cool robot"

You - "Yeah, thats Fort Max , made in 1988,, blah blah, biggest transformer blah blah. Took me ages to find one in good condition and to track down all the parts". etc, etc,

You and mate - (sigh of admiration) beer?:)

The Future..... Mate comes round..

Mate - "cool robot"

You - Yeah, that's F-(cut off by mate)

Mate - Yeah, little johnny got one last year for Christmas. He absolutely loved it, but he left it outside and i accidentally ran over it with the car! Luckily we managed to find him another one a week later, hehe. cool toy..:)

You -:eek: (tumbleweeds, silence, gentle wind gusts etc):mad: NO! thats an original Fort Max , made in 1988,, blah blah, biggest transformer blah blah. Took me ages to find one in good condition and to track down all the parts". etc, etc,

Mate - :eek: (Tumbleweeds) Umm . i just remembered, i need to, do, something......else...goodbye..
:(

Still good that everyone can get one now, but makes me wonder what else is coming and do we really need to worry about hunting down all the rare G1 stuff
if it's possible or even likely that they will all be re-issued one day. I guess this is the first legit HM re-issue.

UltraMarginal
4th October 2012, 05:38 PM
it all depends on how long you are willing to indefinitely wait for something.
it's the same reason a lot of 3rd party stuff sells so well (there's no other better example of X available right now). the third party Soundwave would have sold gangbusters till Takara released the information on MP soundwave.

Sometimes it's better to spend the extra cash and time finding and putting together that special character/toy that you want in your collection so you have it.

I've always been envious of those with a fort max, now I can hopefully get one, but it'll still be the re-issue, and Paulbot's will be the original.

There is still a difference and it's really collectors that will appreciate it the most, just like a car collector can appreciate a 60 year old car that doesn't have any of the modern conveniences when most people can't understand the value of that because it's hard to start, hot in summer, cold in winter and generally uncomfortable and no where near as safe. but it's the original car that the collector finds the appeal in.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 05:42 PM
1987 :)

Meh, none of my friends would ever say that, cos they're all nerds like me. :D Who cares about what ignorant Mundaners think. :p As long as you're happy with the toy, that's all that matters. Little Johnny with an Encore Fortress Maximus? That's not so bad... what about Little Johnny with an original G1 Fortress Maximus?! Last year I found this (see below) in a baby's play room... that baby was only a few months old (even now he's only about 1.5yo) and he has an original G1 Fortress Maximus as one of his play toys! :eek:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/fortressminimus.jpg
So I think I can cope with seeing Little Johnny with a reissue... even though the reissues are marketed at Ages 15 and Up. :rolleyes:

canofwhoopass_87
4th October 2012, 06:22 PM
Wow no one saw this coming. I imagine this news is probably somewhat disappointing for the collectors who paid a small fortune for their original G1 FM's (shoutout to PB here) but that's the journey of vintage collecting - some of your toys go up in price, and others go down.

Not a fan of reissues - but it's nice knowing so many average joe collectors are now within reach of this G1 behemoth.

Big :eek: on the BBTS shipping price too! When I was hunting for a MIB FM a year ago I honestly could not get it from any seller in the U.S for under $400 shipping.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 06:33 PM
I just had a look at BBTS' shipping... is that $400 including shipping??? Because my MISB Brave Max cost me $300 and I paid $100 for insured priority express air shipping. I figured it was worth it considering how much I'd spent on the toy -- didn't want to risk losing it through some cheaper form of postage.

If that's including postage, then I'll consider preordering now... but if that's just the raw price of the toy BEFORE postage, then I'll wait. Also, if I preorder now, when will I be billed? (i.e. how long will I have to save up?) I'm very much an inexperienced noob when it comes to online shopping, so sorry if the answer is really obviously staring me in the face. :o

Slag
4th October 2012, 06:34 PM
1987 :) Yeah yeah, whatevs. (I probably should have walked into the next room to confirm the date, the ultimate slacker:p):)

Meh, none of my friends would ever say that, cos they're all nerds like me. :D Who cares about what ignorant Mundaners think. :p As long as you're happy with the toy, that's all that matters. Little Johnny with an Encore Fortress Maximus? That's not so bad... what about Little Johnny with an original G1 Fortress Maximus?! Last year I found this (see below) in a baby's play room... that baby was only a few months old (even now he's only about 1.5yo) and he has an original G1 Fortress Maximus as one of his play toys! :eek:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/fortressminimus.jpg
So I think I can cope with seeing Little Johnny with a reissue... even though the reissues are marketed at Ages 15 and Up. :rolleyes: They may be aimed at kids 15 and up, but what dad could resist buying young Jonathan the same toy that they had when they were growing up ..15 or not

kurdt_the_goat
4th October 2012, 06:36 PM
I just called TakaraTOMY... the operator hasn't heard of any reissue Fortress Maximus and she's told me that they have no plans on reissuing Fortress Maximus. But TFwiki (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Fortress_Maximus_%28G1%29)'s now updated their Fort Max page to include the upcoming reissue.

I really doubt BBTS would put it up if it wasn't an official solicitation, but it is a bit odd that the others like TF Source and Robot Kingdom haven't updated yet. Perhaps they're not sure of their shipping costs as yet? BBTS probably just knows the high demand and wanted to jump the gun a bit to nab early birds. I wouldn't be surprised if the yen price ends up being considerably less than 1:1 with what BBTS is offering - more like 20,000Y or something. That's baseless speculation though, i have no idea what Car Robots Max retailed for?

Edit: Mucho wrong - first japanese retailer listing it for 25,032Y (retail 31,290Y) (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/robochris/737160/).... BBTS' slow shipping price isn't too much rapage after all.

I just had a look at BBTS' shipping... is that $400 including shipping???

If you add to cart then hit calculate shipping for Australia, it'll tell you that shipping costs an extra $119.99 for USPS express or $103.99 for UPS Air.

Tober
4th October 2012, 06:46 PM
I just had a look at BBTS' shipping... is that $400 including shipping??? Because my MISB Brave Max cost me $300 and I paid $100 for insured priority express air shipping. I figured it was worth it considering how much I'd spent on the toy -- didn't want to risk losing it through some cheaper form of postage.

If that's including postage, then I'll consider preordering now... but if that's just the raw price of the toy BEFORE postage, then I'll wait. Also, if I preorder now, when will I be billed? (i.e. how long will I have to save up?) I'm very much an inexperienced noob when it comes to online shopping, so sorry if the answer is really obviously staring me in the face. :o

For pre-orders, you get billed when they arrive in stock. Works differently for a lot of other sites, but that's how BBTS do it. BBTS are also somewhat notorious for putting up pre-orders for toys before official solicitations have been sent out - Eg MP-13 Soundwave went through a few price variations before the Japanese stores put up their listings... They have even put up pre-orders for products that turned out to be fan-made customs...

I asked one of my suppliers in Japan (F2F) about prices for the FoC Bruticus Combaticons - he replied that he didn't know as orders wern't available yet... That might give you some insight into BBTS and Robot Kingdom's pre-order practices... And possibly why the staff at Takara Tomy are unaware of the toy's existence.

EDIT: ^ That darned Goat, always one reply ahead... :P

kurdt_the_goat
4th October 2012, 07:22 PM
Actually now famitoy (http://famitoy.blogspot.com.au/)is saying retail is 29,800Y

SkyWarp91
4th October 2012, 07:48 PM
I guess all of that poses the following question - if you had Fort Max as your 'holy grail' item, would you consider it obtained if buying the Encore version? Personally, I wouldn't.

I agree. I'm somewhat of a new collector and because of the dramactic price decrease for this encore release I am going to buy this figure - I actually was never interested in getting the original all because of that steep price. I can understand how other long time collectors would be frustrated as that sense of achievement for such a classic toy has been severely dampened by an encore but really it's all upto what the individual wants in the end.

I'm happy with this encore.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 07:49 PM
So let me get this straight, through BBTS the toy will cost $504~$520 including postage?? I think it might be cheaper just to get the toy straight from Japan, especially if the RRP is going to be 29800JPY ($371) -- add say about $100 for postage, that should work out to be $471. Hmm...

Okay, so apparently it's scheduled for a February release - that gives about 3~4 months to start saving. :) Right.

SkyWarp91
4th October 2012, 07:56 PM
So let me get this straight, through BBTS the toy will cost $504~$520 including postage?? I think it might be cheaper just to get the toy straight from Japan, especially if the RRP is going to be 29800JPY ($371) -- add say about $100 for postage, that should work out to be $471. Hmm...

Okay, so apparently it's scheduled for a February release - that gives about 3~4 months to start saving. :) Right.

Not neccessarily, at BBTS you can add a crapload of toys and that postage price will most likely stay the same. I've had two giant boxes delivered via UPS at the same cost as some of the smaller packages from them I've bought.

Tober
4th October 2012, 07:57 PM

Anime Export had MP-10 for 30% off, Amiami had a similar discount...

EMS postage is determined by weight, not size. If you know how much a Fort Max weighs then calculating postage should be reasonably accurate.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 08:05 PM
5kg... Hmm... I'll do some investigating. :)

Btw, Autobase Aichi has reported on Encore Fort Max (and other stuff) now too:
http://snakas.blog95.fc2.com/blog-entry-2677.html

fatbot
4th October 2012, 08:08 PM
robotkingdom has them for $299.90, three of them shipped to sydney for $150

Tober
4th October 2012, 08:16 PM
8200 jpy for EMS from Tokyo to Sydney. Varies by prefecture/city.

Lord_Zed
4th October 2012, 08:19 PM
Awesome news, bringing Fort Max to the people!

Viva la revolution!:D

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone. Robotkingdom sounds good. Can't use my credit card atm (see Deluxe Venting thread (-_-)), but will put a preorder through ASAP. :)

kup
4th October 2012, 08:23 PM
robotkingdom has them for $299.90, three of them shipped to sydney for $150

That's not bad

kup
4th October 2012, 08:33 PM
Awesome news, bringing Fort Max to the people!

Viva la revolution!:D

No, this is an outrage! It is a travesty for an ignorant peasant to own a Fort Max! What has society come to? :mad:

5 years later:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1156986/communist-android_medium.jpg

:p

orionpax1
4th October 2012, 08:39 PM
sweet news, been wanting one of these guys for a long time, just couldnt justify spending $1000+ on a figure (i dont care how rare/hard it is to get one) and bring on more reissues. :)

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 08:46 PM
sweet news, been wanting one of these guys for a long time, just couldnt justify spending $1000+ on a figure (i dont care how rare/hard it is to get one) and bring on more reissues. :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/like.jpg

theshape
4th October 2012, 08:52 PM
Be Nice if the Reissue looked slightly different, as people who already own one would like to buy it (kind of like Brave Max). Lets hope we see a Liokaiser reissue so i may be able to get a vintage one a bit cheaper :D

As for the "New grail" For US transformers , what comes to mind is :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/TheShape84/IMG_20120712_181937.jpg

If he gets reissued i will eat my one up :D

Quickstrike
4th October 2012, 08:55 PM
We're one step closer to a reissue Scorponok. :eek:

kup
4th October 2012, 09:00 PM
Be Nice if the Reissue looked slightly different, as people who already own one would like to buy it (kind of like Brave Max). Lets hope we see a Liokaiser reissue so i may be able to get a vintage one a bit cheaper :D

Yeah let's make Monstructor the new high society toy!

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 09:07 PM
Reissues usually are different in some way or another -- if nothing else, the copyright stampage will differ. :) I'd definitely get a reissue Lio Kaiser for sure! BREENG EET!! Ah, who am I kidding, I'd get a reissue of ANY G1 Transformer that I don't have or that needs "replacing" (like Monstructor... stupid GPS! I have _two_ Bristlebacks and they're both damaged from GPS! :rolleyes:)

I'd keep mine for the nostalgia --- these were my childhood toys after all. But I can't freaking play with them anymore, which frustrates me!! What I like to do is get a reissue to play with and "retire" the original G1 as a display piece. Monstructor's been put into "forced retirement," so I freakin' need a reissue!

The thing is... if TakaraTOMY reissues Dinoking, it'll have Dinoking's Pretender shells. Now, I don't mind if Hasbro takes the lazy option and just repaints them as Monster Pretenders, but keeps the Japanese shells -- I already have all the Monster Pretender shells, I need new robots! But I can understand that for anyone who doesn't already have Monstructor, this may be annoying to them. I can't envisage Hasbro taking the initiative to reissue the Monster Pretender shells themselves off their own bat -- not if "Apex Armour Optimus Prime" is any indication of how unwilling they are to modify a Japanese toy to "re-Hasbronise" it. :rolleyes:

We all vote with our wallets... if you want TakaraTOMY to do more reissues, then well... you know what to do! :D

Ode to a Grasshopper
4th October 2012, 09:24 PM
This was a big surprise last night and I quickly put a preorder in a BBTS since why not? Doesn't cost me anything yet.

Then in the morning I woke up and looked at my (still quite new to me, but a bit worn) Fortress Maximus sitting on my drawers and wondered do I really need two?

I'm kind of hoping the Brave Max prices drop. It might happen since I think a lot of the interest in that figure was that it was the cheapest way to get the mold. (And I need one to finish my RID show cast collection)

Regardless getting a nice new MISB version of a G1 toy is great. Long live the Encore line.I kinda know what you mean - even though FM was never really on my list of TFs-to-get he has always been kind of a status symbol, and this reissue does sorta detract from that.
I'm glad more people can enjoy it, but it does also make it less of a 'special piece'. I couldn't really find the words to express the feeling, but you nailed it @Paulbot.
Anyway, for my part...
To be honest, Fortress Maximus really isn't that impressive a Transformer action figure, even by G1 standards. The transformation/engineering isn't all that clever -- toys like Triggerhappy and Snapdragon have far more interesting designs.
Edit: Mucho wrong - first japanese retailer listing it for 25,032Y (retail 31,290Y) (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/robochris/737160/).......thanks to the 3 of you for helping me put into words why I'll be passing on this one - and helping me save 30,000 yen.:)
For those who do want it, I hope you enjoy his biggishness.:)

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2012, 09:44 PM
Anyway, for my part......thanks to the 3 of you for helping me put into words why I'll be passing on this one - and helping me save 30,000 yen.:)
Heh, it's true though. Aside from his size and gimmicks, he's a very ordinary action figure. There are Mini-Cons and Legends/Legion Class Transformers who have more complex transformations than Fortress Maximus.

Transform to battleship mode: lie down on his back, flip some stuff. Done.
Transform to city mode: lie down on back, tuck legs in (which at his size is like wrestling a midget), fold some stuff. Done.

But to be fair, Fort Max does justify his size as a play set though - and he is a kickass play set. :) He's not like other "big just for the sake of being big" Transformers like Supreme Cheetor, Cybertron Emperor Starscream, Energon Omega Supreme, Beast Machines Nightscream, Combiner Class ROTF Devastator etc. -- with these toys you think, "Why did they need to be so big?" and their bigness actually detracts from the value of the toy. But that's not the case with Fortress Maximus. When you play with this toy in battleship and city modes, you can understand/appreciate why it was done at that size, especially when interacting with other Transformers. :) But as an action figure he's ordinary at best. I don't think Fort Max is worth above RRP, but I do think he's well worth RRP, whereas when I bought ROTF Combiner Class Devastator on sale, I _still_ felt ripped off! :(

But honestly... if they ever did a Classicsverse Fortress Maximus, I'd be happy if they did him as a Deluxe Class (maybe a Voyager or Ultra if people really want him to be taller than most other Classicsverse toys). Make him a kind of tank like he appears to be in the IDW comics. That would suit me fine, and he'd probably be a great action figure then. :)

For those who do want it, I hope you enjoy his biggishness.:)
It compensates for the tiny size of my little savings. Drained by purchasing such a freaking expensive toy! :eek:

-----------------------------------------------------

P.S.: A Japanese fan just told me that there's a current embargo on information regarding Encore Fort Max atm, hence why TakaraTOMY would have told me that they have no current plans on reissuing Fort Max.

drahsrebu
4th October 2012, 10:25 PM
Robot Kingdom looks like the place to go :) but why is there such a price difference??:confused:

Vector Sigma 13
4th October 2012, 11:27 PM
Finally something to get excited about again!

fatbot
4th October 2012, 11:29 PM
Robot Kingdom looks like the place to go :) but why is there such a price difference??:confused:

you have to factor in shipping to the US or other countries. Plus each mob have a different % mark up

rocman12
5th October 2012, 12:10 AM
I won't be getting him, I wish they would re-engineer the mould to be more like a masterpiece!

Skullcruncher
5th October 2012, 12:13 PM
The number of original fort max's on ebay seems to have increased - people trying to get their money back before the price drop! I hope they then reissue this guy as grand too. That might get me excited about it.

liegeprime
5th October 2012, 12:31 PM

oooh and with the new gold plastic theyre using (reissue Predaking) it would be much sturdier and not prone to crumbling..... add this next to Overlord please heheheh

5FDP
5th October 2012, 02:02 PM
The number of original fort max's on ebay seems to have increased - people trying to get their money back before the price drop!

That was bound to happen and one of the very reasons why you shouldn't rely on toys as an investment.

swoop
5th October 2012, 05:23 PM
still not up at hlj or amiami :(, I thought they would of had them up by now

GoktimusPrime
5th October 2012, 08:08 PM
That was bound to happen and one of the very reasons why you shouldn't rely on toys as an investment.
+1. And they would be the only people who stand to "lose" anything from a reissue. For those of us who just collect toys purely for the love/enjoyment and not for financial gain -- there's nothing to lose. Those of us who want the reissue are stoked, those who want the original will be happy because the aftermarket price will go down, and those who want neither - okay, they have nothing to gain, but nothing to lose either (it's more like, "Meh" - which is how I feel about most other Encores).

The number of original fort max's on ebay seems to have increased - people trying to get their money back before the price drop! I hope they then reissue this guy as grand too. That might get me excited about it.
I was talking about that to someone earlier this evening, and they speculated that TakTOM would be more likely to do Grand Max in a few years' time -- i.e. after Fort Max has done it's run. And that actually makes some sense. Fortress Maximus is a big f'expensive toy - no doubt's there. If you release Grand Maximus around the same time frame as Fortress Maximus, a lot of people are going to be more likely to choose one mould or the other rather than buying both. Let's say for example they announced that both would be released in 2013 or 2014 -- and say if something came up and I could only save up for one of them. Well, I already have a G1 Fortress Maximus, and as much as I'd like to get a minty reissue, if it came to the crunch I'd choose Grand Max over a Fort Max reissue, simply because I don't have a Grand Maximus. And ya know, I want a Fort Max reissue because my Fort Max is badly yellowed and missing accessories -- if my Fort Max was in better condition, I'd skip the reissue altogether... as I'm sure a lot of other people on this board are doing who already have a Fort Max that's in reasonably good or excellent condition.

Cos that's what I did with Encore Omega Supreme -- my G1 Omega Supreme is in good working condition, so I skipped the reissue. Then eHobby announced they were doing GADEP, a character I don't have, so I got that. And as we know, Encore Omega Supreme was a horrific shelf-warmer... and that's something TakTOM doesn't want. So it would be in their better interest if they just waited a year or a few years for the market to 'absorb' Fort Max stocks -- then do Grand Maximus. That way, the two Maximi won't be cross-competing with each other (as Omega Supreme and GADEP may have), and it would also give collectors who bought Fort Max time to financially recover and be in a better position to purchase Grand Max.

still not up at hlj or amiami :(, I thought they would of had them up by now
Japanese fans are saying that there's an information embargo in place atm, so companies/retailers shouldn't be leaking this information out. That's why TakaraTOMY told me that they had no plans to reissue Fortress Maximus when I called them yesterday. The operator herself may not have been aware of this or the embargo -- more likely her computer system would just tell her that there's nothing planned (because that's actually what she told me -- I could hear her typing away and she said that the system was showing her that they didn't have any information, so she told me that that TakaraTOMY "has no plans" to reissue Fort Max). It just seems that some retailers have chosing to break the embargo prematurely and even started taking pre-orders. But we can't really blame other retailers for "doing the right thing" by respecting TakTOM's embargo.

Paulbot
5th October 2012, 09:18 PM
BBTS lowered their prices by $20 from their initial listings, down to $330 (or $380 for the impatient) (plus postage).

Slag
5th October 2012, 09:59 PM

Good point.. I can't kid myself with that one anymore

rocman12
5th October 2012, 11:07 PM

Its also one of the reasons i don't buy expensive Japanese Transformers, there bound release most of them eventually! So i would rather buy the reissues and pay a lot less than the originals.

reillyd
5th October 2012, 11:17 PM
Well Robotkingdom seems tobe the cheapest, but I'm really hoping for a 'early bird special' at hlj

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2012, 12:21 AM
Its also one of the reasons i don't buy expensive Japanese Transformers, there bound release most of them eventually! So i would rather buy the reissues and pay a lot less than the originals.
True... but Fortress Maximus was a tricky one to predict (and kudos to those who called it). But consider the following:
+ Takara started reissuing G1 toys in 2000
+ Takara released Brave Maximus in 2000 - thus we knew that they still had the mould
+ Takara's other big/expensive reissues like Sky Lynx, Metroplex and Omega Supreme were shelfwarmers -- and Fortress Maximus is going to be bigger and more expensive than any of those.
+ Some would argue that Takara's enthusiasm/commitment for reissues has waned of late, with many of their later reissues being reissues of toys that have already been reissued (Convoy, Megatron, Starscream Meister, Predaking etc.) and not enough reissues of stuff that has never been reissued.
+ Some fans have also argued that because the Fort Max mould fails to meet current US toy safety standards (which is why Brave Max was never released as RiD Fortress Maximus) that Hasbro won't be able to do their own reissue, which in turn might discourage Takara from doing so. (even though both companies are disallowed from taking each other's markets into account when developing toys - so I personally don't think this was a terribly plausible excuse)

TakaraTOMY is taking a calculated risk in reissuing Fortress Maximus. While there's that initial enthusiasm from fans like us who'll scoop the toy up lickety-split, once that dies down, TakTOM needs to maintain the enthusiasm and demand for the toy. Look at Jetwing Optimus Prime -- remember when that toy came out and a lot of people were gunning to get it? Especially when Big W's toy sale rolled along, that thing sold pretty quick. But now it's shelf warming at Target who've reduced the price massively. I sincerely hope that Encore Fort Max doesn't shelfwarm... I hope that the fans 'reward' TakaraTOMY for putting their faith in us by releasing this toy. And it's easy to say "Hey everyone, support TakTOM and buy this toy!", but it's a damn expensive toy! It's just not something anyone would buy unless you were damn certain that you absolutely 110% wanted this toy!

Is there anyone here with a complete and excellent condition G1 Fortress Maximus who still wants to get a reissue Fortress Maximus? Or is everyone who's wanting this toy either:
a) Don't currently have a Fortress Maximus, or...
b) Have a Fortress Maximus that's incomplete and/or in less than excellent condition (like me)

Slag
6th October 2012, 12:39 AM
(b)..... But i'm banking on re-issue parts showing up for cheap(er) around the place in a year or so. I'd be keen to chip in for one. I need spike, cog, cerebros gun and maybe the radar.

liegeprime
6th October 2012, 12:55 AM
a) Dont have the toy... I chose Brave Max because the colors I preferred, and is cheaper. BUt with the release of this toy priced like it is. Im getting it, just need to save a lot. Beats having a go at ebay for the originals which is annoyingly expensive and on top of which shipping is expensive, then customs hit you with import tax etc etc soooo very very expensive!!

LordCyrusOmega
6th October 2012, 04:41 AM
a) Don't own the toy. One of my grails that I never thought I'd own, Though like most G1 I'm probably going to be dissapointed, I could never justify spending the ebay prices for him. Is he really worth the $1000+ price tag?

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2012, 08:31 AM
Is he really worth the $1000+ price tag?
I personally don't think so. With aftermarket prices you're never paying for the actual 'worth' of the toy, but rather the rarity/scarcity.

IMHO...
Pros
+ The toy is massive. 55cm tall in robot mode, 78cm long in starship mode and weighs 5kg. There's no denying the impressiveness of the size of this figure.
+ The robot mode is just covered in weaponry. Even without his accessories, you've got 2 twin cannons on the arms, 2 twin cannons in the hands, 2 massive cannons on the torso, 2 twin cannons in the legs -- so even _without_ the other weapons, Fortress Maximus has fourteen guns built into him!
+ The toy is an incredible play set for other Transformers. It has a working lift, car launchers w/ ramps, a moving radar dish and prison cell (w/ staircase!)
+ It also comes with other figures you can play interact with - least being the Headmaster units Cerebros and Spike, but also Gasket and Grommet (who combine to form Cog).

Cons
+ Size aside, it's a pretty plain action figure with relatively simplistic transformation, even by the standards of the day. The alt modes are very much "lie the robot down" -- do a few things... you're done.
+ No other Transformer even comes close to the size of the Fort Max robot. This makes him a difficult action figure to interact with other action figures because there's just nothing else in his size class -- even his 'rival' Scorponok way shorter than him.
+ There's no such thing as a cheap Fortress Maximus. And at 5kg you can bet the postage won't be cheap either.

...so be aware that Fort Max is an incredible play set, but mediocre action figure. I don't think it's worth $1000 - but then again, I don't think any toy is worth above its RRP. Is it worth $370-400? That's certainly more expensive than Brave Maximus' RRP ($300), but that was 12 years ago - and also, Brave Maximus was a regular retail release, whereas Takara always does G1 reissues in more limited numbers (since it's targeted at the smaller niche adult market), so I expect that this will be a relatively smaller production run than Brave Max. Also, they may have had to remould the Master Sword (because reports are that Car Robot's God Sword was really flimsy). I think it's a fair price - a helluva lot better than what you'd pay for a MISB G1 Fortress Maximus.

Here is dirge's review (http://www.cliffbee.com/reviews/fortmax.php)

Being such an expensive toy, I think it makes sense to consider carefully whether or not you want this toy. If you haven't seen a Fort Max IRL before, I strong strongly recommend that you do so before considering whether or not you want to make an order. Go find a friend who has a Fort Max and have a look at their toy, or ask another OTCAer who lives near you if you can see theirs (either at their place or if they want to bring it to a fan meet etc. :)). Maybe someone can bring their Fort Max to the next Parra Fair -- mine's not complete or in the best condition, so I'll do it only if noone else is willing... or maybe I can bring my Brave Maximus which is complete and in excellent condition (but different colours - but at least you can still check out the mould).

sideswipes brother
6th October 2012, 08:35 AM

Same thing happened with Predaking in 2004. I noticed about a week after the announcement that the preds were being reissued, Ebay was flooded with originals.

rocman12
6th October 2012, 08:36 AM
I have all 3 versions complete, I purchased them a long time ago. I've been thinking about buying the encore version and leaving him MISB, but I can't make up my mind!

I never purchased the encore omega, metroplex or sky lynx as I already had them. But as I always wanted other versions of them to display in alternate mode, I ended up buying all 3 originals complete in c9 for a lot less than the encores.

Bartrim
6th October 2012, 10:40 AM
I am so happy about this. Given my financial situation I wrote off ever dreaming of owning a Fort Max. I can not express how happy I am. I know some of you have said it will take away from the specialness of this toy by everyone owning one but this toy will be special to me.

primetime
6th October 2012, 11:36 AM
I actually already have a C9 Fortress Maximus and 2 Brave Maximuses.

1 of the BM I got years ago at a grand price of USD 149, the second MISB one I also got few years afterwards at USD 510 shipped.

I'll probably get an Encore Fort Max - since I'd like to see what a new Fort Max looks like hehe, not to mention he'll come with a Master Sword too!

1AZRAEL1
6th October 2012, 11:54 AM
For me it'll be great because i get a minty fresh figure, and the accessories. The parts i am missing would end up costing me more than to buy a new one.

theshape
6th October 2012, 01:49 PM
Yeah im with rocman, undecided on this one. Fort Max is my favourite mould, i have a 3 releases...i want to get this one but would love it to be different enough that you can tell the difference when displayed next to each other (maybe paint app instead if stickers or a slightly different shade of colour)

Slag
6th October 2012, 02:32 PM
I would like to see a "Baddie Maximus" to even up the playing field.. Maybe with a different head master.. Scorpy and Zarak Vs Fort, Grand and Brave just doesn't look fair to me.
Someone got me with "Dread" last April fools and i really like the idea. Maybe Ehobby can help me out

theshape
6th October 2012, 03:03 PM
He would look mint if he was painted black with gold parts

VERT
6th October 2012, 04:56 PM
Im thinking about selling my old Fort Max to help fund getting a new reissue of him :D MMmmmmm minty fresh:D

kup
6th October 2012, 05:48 PM
Im thinking about selling my old Fort Max to help fund getting a new reissue of him :D MMmmmmm minty fresh:D

Keep in mind that Encores have shown to have lesser material quality when compared to their original G1 release and even their previous 'Takara' reissues.

I am expecting Max to have a bit of cost cutting given his size but you never know. Well it all depends on the condition of your current Max.

Quickstrike
6th October 2012, 05:49 PM
I would like to see a "Baddie Maximus" to even up the playing field.. Maybe with a different head master.. Scorpy and Zarak Vs Fort, Grand and Brave just doesn't look fair to me.
Someone got me with "Dread" last April fools and i really like the idea. Maybe Ehobby can help me out

Nemesis Maximus? It's fun to say at least.

Tober
6th October 2012, 07:24 PM
Anime Export has listed (http://www.anime-export.com/product/11356) at 30% off RRP which comes to $260 + about $100 for shipping. Maximum of two orders per customer.

kup
6th October 2012, 07:30 PM
Anime Export has listed (http://www.anime-export.com/product/11356) at 30% off RRP which comes to $260 + about $100 for shipping. Maximum of two orders per customer.

Not bad at all. That kind of gets it within a reasonable price level at $360.

The_Damned
6th October 2012, 07:38 PM

do you have to pay up front or when it ships?

Slag
6th October 2012, 09:32 PM
He would look mint if he was painted black with gold parts

Yeah, that could work:).. I was thinking black and grey and purple.. Sort of undead looking.. did i read somewhere that Grand Max is really just a big power-up for Gran.. so maybe little Lord Zarak could sneak inside and make him Decepticon??

Nemesis Maximus? It's fun to say at least.

Perfect,,Sold!:D Someone rip out the watercolours.

Tober
6th October 2012, 09:53 PM
do you have to pay up front or when it ships?

Upfront, then shipping when it is in stock.

Ravagecat
6th October 2012, 10:32 PM

Hey Guys, has anyone had any issues with Anime Export? I couldnt see any feedback for them in the Dealer feedback section of this board. Kind of nervous about paying up front for 1 or 2 Fort Max's to a company I dont know...any info would be appreciated :)

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2012, 11:18 PM
Same thing happened with Predaking in 2004. I noticed about a week after the announcement that the preds were being reissued, Ebay was flooded with originals.
Yeah, it happens every time news of a reissue comes out. Nothing new. :)

I have all 3 versions complete, I purchased them a long time ago. I've been thinking about buying the encore version and leaving him MISB, but I can't make up my mind!
Keep in mind that the box will most likely be windowless, so you won't even be able to see the toy that's inside. Displaying a toy like this MISB... you're essentially just displaying the box - the toy remains invisible. It's a LOT of money to pay to look at a box. :)

I never purchased the encore omega, metroplex or sky lynx as I already had them. But as I always wanted other versions of them to display in alternate mode, I ended up buying all 3 originals complete in c9 for a lot less than the encores.
Yeah but remember that you're getting the Encores MISB -- and MISB is usually worth more than even a C9 loose-mint toy. Often the value of an MISB toy devalues if you so much as break the sticky tape.

Brave Maximus was kinda evil when Devil Gigatron was manipulating him... ya know, until the love of children made him ... gah... such a stupid story arc! :p

Keep in mind that Encores have shown to have lesser material quality when compared to their original G1 release and even their previous 'Takara' reissues.

I am expecting Max to have a bit of cost cutting given his size but you never know. Well it all depends on the condition of your current Max.
Well, as 1AZRAEL1 said, the cost of buying the accessories on their own would cost more than the reissue. That's why I got Encore Bruticus and Devastator -- for all those little accessories like individual guns etc. Easier/faster/cheaper just to get the reissue than try to hunt down the originals! How much would an excellent condition complete G1 Fortress Maximus cost now? $1000? I paid about $300 for my G1 Fort Max. Say I pay $350 for reissue Fort Max -- I would have spent $650 in total on 2 Fortress Maximi (one incomplete and in fair cond, the other MISB)... still cheaper than buying a complete loose mint G1 Fort Max off the secondary market (let alone an original G1 MISB Fort Max!)

kup
6th October 2012, 11:42 PM
Well, as 1AZRAEL1 said, the cost of buying the accessories on their own would cost more than the reissue. That's why I got Encore Bruticus and Devastator -- for all those little accessories like individual guns etc. Easier/faster/cheaper just to get the reissue than try to hunt down the originals! How much would an excellent condition complete G1 Fortress Maximus cost now? $1000? I paid about $300 for my G1 Fort Max. Say I pay $350 for reissue Fort Max -- I would have spent $650 in total on 2 Fortress Maximi (one incomplete and in fair cond, the other MISB)... still cheaper than buying a complete loose mint G1 Fort Max off the secondary market (let alone an original G1 MISB Fort Max!)

Like I said, it all depends on the condition of the current Fort Max one may already own. Space is probably the biggest cost.

If you have a C9 G1 Fort Max, it is likely that the reissue may not be worth it unless you want to have two but at $360 shipped, it isn't that much.

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2012, 11:49 PM
Oh yes, definitely. Unless your Fort Max is somewhat lacking or you don't own one at all, I would definitely understand not being interested in getting the reissue. I'd skip it if I had a complete and excellent condition G1 Fort Max. But you've seen what my Fort Max is like... so yeah -- I wants the reissue! :D

Slag
7th October 2012, 12:51 AM
Brave Maximus was kinda evil when Devil Gigatron was manipulating him... ya know, until the love of children made him ... gah... such a stupid story arc! :p

I hate it when the "love of children" gets in the way of world domination or whatever..

Tober
7th October 2012, 03:05 AM
Hey Guys, has anyone had any issues with Anime Export? I couldnt see any feedback for them in the Dealer feedback section of this board. Kind of nervous about paying up front for 1 or 2 Fort Max's to a company I dont know...any info would be appreciated :)

I've placed about a dozen orders with them over the last four or so years, including two MP-10 Convoys - never a problem, everything has been very smooth.

If you use them, remember to request and pay for the shipping when the in-stock info email arrives. Otherwise it will just sit there...

The only trouble I've heard of people having is damage to the outer boxes of large toys from minimal packaging. I think it was someone on these boards that had their MP-9 Rodimus box badly damaged.

jazzcomp
7th October 2012, 11:07 AM
Max order is 2. Anyone willing to split shipping in NSW? If shipping is cheaper combined? :)

Hursticon
7th October 2012, 12:22 PM
How is it that HLJ & Amiami have nothing up yet? - Has there been any actual Official word on FortMax yet or are we all just following the crumbs of a couple of online retailers? :confused:

Tober
7th October 2012, 12:34 PM
Max order is 2. Anyone willing to split shipping in NSW? If shipping is cheaper combined? :)

About $175 for two. That's if the yen stays at 80/1AUD of course.

How is it that HLJ & Amiami have nothing up yet? - Has there been any actual Official word on FortMax yet or are we all just following the crumbs of a couple of online retailers? :confused:

The solicitation sheets were out at end of last week. The other online retailers will probably list early this week.

Hursticon
7th October 2012, 02:12 PM
The solicitation sheets were out at end of last week. The other online retailers will probably list early this week.

Ah, okey doke; I'll have to keep my eyes peeled as I'd prefer to order from Amiami or HLJ, both because of geographical proximity & because I wont have to pay upfront. ;):)

5FDP
7th October 2012, 09:48 PM
Goddammit... the more I think about it, the more I want one. I could even buy it under the thinly veiled excuse that it's my 10 year wedding anniversary next year. The wife seemingly has fallen for that :D Someone please talk me out of it before I click on 'pre-order'!

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2012, 10:09 PM
Goddammit... the more I think about it, the more I want one. I could even buy it under the thinly veiled excuse that it's my 10 year wedding anniversary next year. The wife seemingly has fallen for that :D Someone please talk me out of it before I click on 'pre-order'!
Here's a reason -- if you're not going to open it, don't buy it! This toy will probably come in a windowless box, which means you're essentially going to be paying $400-odd for a weighted box.

If you do intend to open it... then pre-order away!! (this probably isn't the best place to seek advice on not buying a toy, heheheh ;))

Slag
8th October 2012, 12:48 AM
Click it!! It's better to have something and decide you don't need it than to not have something and spend countless hours trying to hunt one down..

5FDP
8th October 2012, 10:03 AM
Here's a reason -- if you're not going to open it, don't buy it! This toy will probably come in a windowless box, which means you're essentially going to be paying $400-odd for a weighted box.

If you do intend to open it... then pre-order away!! (this probably isn't the best place to seek advice on not buying a toy, heheheh ;))

This may shock you but if I was going to buy one I already made my mind up that I was going to open it basically for the same reason you outlined (re: $400-odd for a weighted box). People naturally assume that if someone keeps things MISB they do so for the resale value; not so in my case.

Click it!! It's better to have something and decide you don't need it than to not have something and spend countless hours trying to hunt one down..

Can you be my sponsor for AAA? :D

Seriously though, I see the point you are making. Worst case scenario is having to spend more than retail because I passed on the initial release resorting to the second-hand market. If Fort Max is anything like Omega Supreme, Metroplex, Skylink etc. it will be shelf-warming for a while though.

The flip-side to all of this is that if I am undecided on buying something so expensive, I probably shouldn't. I suppose I could always sell it off at a later stage if I ever did change my mind...

Does anyone else have any thoughts / opinions that they could share with me to help me make up my mind?

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2012, 11:49 AM
I suppose I could always sell it off at a later stage if I ever did change my mind...
^This. Even if it shelfwarms, stocks will eventually deplete - you may need to wait a few years, but eventually you'll be able to sell it. Look at reissue God Ginrai - that was probably one of the worst reissue shelfwarmers ever where even import stores in Sydney were desperately trying to flog them off for $20 (and even then it still shelfwarmed for ages). I just took a cursory glance at eBay and the cheapest MISB God Ginrai I could see was for $200 -- a loose one is going for $100! :eek:

And there might be someone in Australia who'd be willing to pay what you paid for the toy + postage just to save the hassle of waiting for an import... e.g. pick up at a meet or something. At least that way you'll break even, and the buyer gets the satisfaction of bringing the toy home in their hands. :)

5FDP
8th October 2012, 12:41 PM
You're a bad influence Goki... pre-order placed :eek: :eek: :eek: Worked out to be $395 shipped from RK.

Ravagecat
8th October 2012, 01:47 PM
I've placed about a dozen orders with them over the last four or so years, including two MP-10 Convoys - never a problem, everything has been very smooth.

If you use them, remember to request and pay for the shipping when the in-stock info email arrives. Otherwise it will just sit there...

The only trouble I've heard of people having is damage to the outer boxes of large toys from minimal packaging. I think it was someone on these boards that had their MP-9 Rodimus box badly damaged.

Thanks for the info :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th October 2012, 02:11 PM

I tell ya what, I'll go halves with ya, I'll take the toy and you can keep the box. How does that sound? ;):D

5FDP
8th October 2012, 02:56 PM
I tell ya what, I'll go halves with ya, I'll take the toy and you can keep the box. How does that sound? ;):D

Counter offer - I'll sell you the toy for $394.95 and I get to keep the box :p

Tallestblue
8th October 2012, 06:43 PM
^This. Even if it shelfwarms, stocks will eventually deplete - you may need to wait a few years, but eventually you'll be able to sell it. Look at reissue God Ginrai - that was probably one of the worst reissue shelfwarmers ever where even import stores in Sydney were desperately trying to flog them off for $20 (and even then it still shelfwarmed for ages). I just took a cursory glance at eBay and the cheapest MISB God Ginrai I could see was for $200 -- a loose one is going for $100! :eek:

if I saw a God Ginrai for 20 bucks I'd be knocking over everyone and everything in my path to get to it.

On the subject of Reissue Fort Max- If you can buy it, DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th October 2012, 09:34 PM
Counter offer - I'll sell you the toy for $394.95 and I get to keep the box :p

My counter-counter offer, I'll sell YOU the box for 394.95 and keep the toy.:p

This is getting silly now...

:D

liegeprime
8th October 2012, 11:40 PM
There should be a camera rolling when you get the toy 5FDP.... you know to commemorate the event that you are OPENING this toy! :):p:p.... usually you just keep it sealed but for this exception it should be recorded hehehe.... even if you later on don't want the toy - or have buyer's regret... someone surely in the boards will buy it from you, seriously! Don't look at me though, Im buying one myself and im gonna open it, coz that's the way I am... I opens my toys heheheh... well except for the TF Prime ones now... Im opening them later ... like Xmas time :o:o

optimus1
8th October 2012, 11:52 PM
only just found about this!! :o
I've been away from the boards lately, but what news to come back to!!!!! :D:):cool::eek:

I'd consider getting a Fort Max, will prob have to split shipping though

liegeprime
9th October 2012, 12:58 AM
only just found about this!! :o
I've been away from the boards lately, but what news to come back to!!!!! :D:):cool::eek:

I'd consider getting a Fort Max, will prob have to split shipping though

Well there you go, jazzcomp was looking for someone to pair up with, since you guys are both NSW area well mebbe you can pair up for an order :)

5FDP
9th October 2012, 09:34 AM
There should be a camera rolling when you get the toy 5FDP.... you know to commemorate the event that you are OPENING this toy! :):p:p.... usually you just keep it sealed but for this exception it should be recorded hehehe.... even if you later on don't want the toy - or have buyer's regret... someone surely in the boards will buy it from you, seriously! Don't look at me though, Im buying one myself and im gonna open it, coz that's the way I am... I opens my toys heheheh... well except for the TF Prime ones now... Im opening them later ... like Xmas time :o:o

That's a good idea, or how about we make it a viewing at my place? :D It almost didn't happen though because as it turns out, the wife was testing me by saying it would be OK to order it. When I told her I had, she exclaimed that she was hoping I would do the right thing. I can't even express in words how pi$$ed off I was last night... or maybe I'll leave that for the venting thread. She would have every right to be mad at me if I didn't seek her permission before ordering it, but I went out of my way to explain everything in detail to her and she approved. Apparently 10 years of marriage isn't worth a Fortress Maximus...

jazzcomp
9th October 2012, 09:47 AM
Well there you go, jazzcomp was looking for someone to pair up with, since you guys are both NSW area well mebbe you can pair up for an order :)
Sorry, a buddy just ordered a pair and one is for me :D

Apparently 10 years of marriage isn't worth a Fortress Maximus...
It never is :( That's why it's always better to buy when you don't have to ask permission.

GoktimusPrime
9th October 2012, 10:19 AM
I didn't ask for permission so much as I assured my wife that I would have the money saved up _before_ the toy comes out and that we won't be out of pocket by then. Since I'd saved up well for Masterpiece Optimus Prime (and other toys) before, she accepted it. Wasn't happy (and she thinks I'm gonna sell my original after I get the Encore -- har!), but accepted it. :p Of course, now I'm actually digging into the cash I'd put aside from MP OP because we're still waiting for the bank to replace our cards... *sigh* S'okay... I'll pay myself back later this week.

gdmetro
9th October 2012, 12:19 PM
Where are you guys ordering from? I need to put a preorder in for this bad boy. Thinking of getting 2...because I know I want one sealed.

griffin
9th October 2012, 02:35 PM

5FDP opening his Fort Max (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU)... :p

She would have every right to be mad at me if I didn't seek her permission before ordering it, but I went out of my way to explain everything in detail to her and she approved. Apparently 10 years of marriage isn't worth a Fortress Maximus...

Something politicians and military leaders rely on - It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission - in other words, there is less hassle if you just do it and they have to get over something they cant change, than trying to convince them to get behind it beforehand.

The_Damned
9th October 2012, 03:06 PM
nintendo 64 nice one griff cracked me up

liegeprime
9th October 2012, 03:12 PM
Where are you guys ordering from? I need to put a preorder in for this bad boy. Thinking of getting 2...because I know I want one sealed.

BBTS :):)

So 5FDP, did you have to cancell your preorder? Or not?

If you didn't, we should totallly make it an opening event! We've never been to your place, it would be a great time to do so.... well, prolly move it by a month. I'll be on holidays on March so yeah hehehe

That's funny griffin, that boy is excited as... like possessed hehe:D he's had too much sugar mixed with his eggnog :p

5FDP
9th October 2012, 03:43 PM
Something politicians and military leaders rely on - It's always easier to get forgiveness than permission - in other words, there is less hassle if you just do it and they have to get over something they cant change, than trying to convince them to get behind it beforehand.

As unfortunate as it sounds, that is very true. Best intentions count for nothing.

So 5FDP, did you have to cancell your preorder? Or not?

If you didn't, we should totallly make it an opening event! We've never been to your place, it would be a great time to do so.... well, prolly move it by a month. I'll be on holidays on March so yeah hehehe

I did send them an email to cancel the pre-order however when they emailed me back - they wanted a reason for cancellation for their records, I asked them not to cancel it. I thought to myself 'bugger this, I deserve it'. It's not like she was ever going to buy me something for our anniversary.

Yeah, we'll organise something. Or I could just walk down the road to your place :p

rocman12
9th October 2012, 04:25 PM
As unfortunate as it sounds, that is very true. Best intentions count for nothing.

I did send them an email to cancel the pre-order however when they emailed me back - they wanted a reason for cancellation for their records, I asked them not to cancel it. I thought to myself 'bugger this, I deserve it'. It's not like she was ever going to buy me something for our anniversary.

Yeah, we'll organise something. Or I could just walk down the road to your place :p

Thats why you just order it and don't tell her! That's what i do!
As much as i dont need it, i'm gonna order it and keep it MISB for a while. In a few years when i get myself another TF cupboard, im gonna open all my MISB re-issues!

reillyd
9th October 2012, 06:08 PM
I'm seriously considering buying a MISB for posterity. I have a MISB of every Encore release, and not planning on stopping the trend. While I open one, I put one aside in offsite storage, secure in the knowledge that if my toy collection burns, there is at least some G1 toys left.

I'd be lying if I said I was saving it for 'an investment', or to trade later. I wouldn't part with them for the world. But it is an investment in Takara and the future of the Encore line. I'm getting them usually on clearance when it shelfwarms, but I'm thinking that this one might be a more limited run given its overall cost and serously considering preorder two of them. One to open, one for safety.

Defcon
9th October 2012, 06:52 PM
While the size is enough to justify the price, I view this item having a high end collectible status. Meaning its not going to be for everyone, but those who do get it wont regret it! unlikely to see an over production. But you never know, as there are lots of potential customers, as only a few people would own a complete minty original.

My greatest hurdle in deciding is not the price, but the size. Ironically his size is his greatest appeal, but also his greatest drawback !! not to mention hard to sneak this one in the door without been noticed. If price was the issue or even space Id just sell off parts of my collection to justify it.

UltraMarginal
9th October 2012, 06:58 PM
That's a good idea, or how about we make it a viewing at my place? :D It almost didn't happen though because as it turns out, the wife was testing me by saying it would be OK to order it. When I told her I had, she exclaimed that she was hoping I would do the right thing. I can't even express in words how pi$$ed off I was last night... or maybe I'll leave that for the venting thread. She would have every right to be mad at me if I didn't seek her permission before ordering it, but I went out of my way to explain everything in detail to her and she approved. Apparently 10 years of marriage isn't worth a Fortress Maximus...

Hey 5FDP, Maybe she's worried about space,
I know Mrs UltraMarginal has expressed her concern that my collection could reach uncontrollable proportions at some point. She wonders how many more I actually need:D.
I use my own separate savings though, so as long as it doesn't encroach on the living area and I don't spend the "joint account" money it's cool.

the other thing is, regardless of how cool it is, this is a MASSIVE and VERY expensive toy and I know I'm going to have a hard time with my Mrs when I eventually bring one home.

Besides, maybe she'd accidentally approved, and was thinking of getting it for you herself as an anniversary gift. maybe.

and regardless of how Awesome this and so many other transformers are, they aren't worth making waves in a marriage.

Anyway, preaching aside, I've preordered this sucka at BBTS but will probably cancel that and go with Anime Export as it's looking like it'll be a lot cheaper.

Tober
9th October 2012, 07:33 PM
1. Order the bugger.
2. Pick it up from the post office.
3. Hide it from your significant other.
4. Take it to the next Parra Fair.
5. Return home with it. "Hey Honey, look what I picked up from the fair for $6..!"

Slag
9th October 2012, 08:03 PM
^^ problem solved:D (sounds like you've used that trick before)

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th October 2012, 08:44 PM
That's a good idea, or how about we make it a viewing at my place? :D It almost didn't happen though because as it turns out, the wife was testing me by saying it would be OK to order it. When I told her I had, she exclaimed that she was hoping I would do the right thing. I can't even express in words how pi$$ed off I was last night... or maybe I'll leave that for the venting thread. She would have every right to be mad at me if I didn't seek her permission before ordering it, but I went out of my way to explain everything in detail to her and she approved. Apparently 10 years of marriage isn't worth a Fortress Maximus...Sorry, but I have to laugh so hard at this.
Seriously, that's gotta be one of the most obviously-doomed-to-fail tests ever: "Hey, sure you can do this thing that you really want to do and I just gave you permission to do...wait, what, you actually did it? What were you thinking? I was obviously lying and that was just a test!"

Coincidentally, to all our female Ozformers - if the guy you're seeing (if you're seeing a guy) comes and asks you if he can order a big expensive toy that he really wants and you don't want him to, Just Say No. If you don't then chances are we'll naively take you at face value and not understand that it's actually a lie test.
1. Order the bugger.
5. Return home with it. "Hey Honey, look what I picked up from the fair for $6..!"That's brilliant.

rocman12
9th October 2012, 10:37 PM
1. Order the bugger.
5. Return home with it. "Hey Honey, look what I picked up from the fair for $6..!"

Sounds like a plan!!!

theshape
9th October 2012, 11:37 PM
1. Order the bugger.

Classic! :D

Tober
10th October 2012, 07:55 AM
^^ problem solved:D (sounds like you've used that trick before)

No, but I'm sure it will work out just fine until she shows up with bargain jewelery from that garage sale a few towns over... :eek:

;)

5FDP
10th October 2012, 09:24 AM
Hey 5FDP, Maybe she's worried about space,
I know Mrs UltraMarginal has expressed her concern that my collection could reach uncontrollable proportions at some point. She wonders how many more I actually need:D.
I use my own separate savings though, so as long as it doesn't encroach on the living area and I don't spend the "joint account" money it's cool.

Space isn't an issue, in fact it should fit in the bottom of one of my cabinets so it will be completely out of the way.

We have discussed a separate savings account before, just haven't got around to actually doing it. Maybe this is the catalyst to getting it done.

Besides, maybe she'd accidentally approved, and was thinking of getting it for you herself as an anniversary gift. maybe.

As much as I would love to believe this, it definitely would not be the case. For several years I had bought her gifts for our anniversary - flowers and a card mostly, however never received anything in return. I stopped buying anniversary gifts a couple of years ago.

1. Order the bugger.

That would only work if it was a $30 deluxe. A $400 credit card statement is much harder to hide.

Sorry, but I have to laugh so hard at this.
Seriously, that's gotta be one of the most obviously-doomed-to-fail tests ever: "Hey, sure you can do this thing that you really want to do and I just gave you permission to do...wait, what, you actually did it? What were you thinking? I was obviously lying and that was just a test!"

Coincidentally, to all our female Ozformers - if the guy you're seeing (if you're seeing a guy) comes and asks you if he can order a big expensive toy that he really wants and you don't want him to, Just Say No. If you don't then chances are we'll naively take you at face value and not understand that it's actually a lie test.

No need to be sorry. When you put it like that, it actually does sound funny. What's nice to know though after reading all of the comments is that I am not the only one that has to go through this crap. This is not only a forum for toy collectors but a support group as well :)

liegeprime
10th October 2012, 06:56 PM

Nah the idea is to have the event at YOUR place :p! Of course if for some unknown reason we can always have the opening at my place as your wife might not approve of too many grown up boys getting all party mode over a giant brick hehehe

Reason for cancellation..... "uuhhhhmm, my wife wouldn't let me" would've been funny as for a reason. ;p

crankcase76
10th October 2012, 10:06 PM
1. Order the bugger.

+1 :D:D:D:cool:

just worried about point 3, as we all know the significant other is always aware of a new product that is hidden around the house as they usually find it and have the 2-3hr talk about how this collector business is getting out of hand and we have to buy more storage for these toys!!!!:rolleyes:

Hursticon
11th October 2012, 06:20 PM
Hmm...

Amiami & HLJ still don't have solicitations for Encore #23, I've noticed that they don't have solicitations either for either Masterpiece Packs MP-15 or MP-16. :(
Perhaps they're waiting until it's closer towards their release dates? :o

1AZRAEL1
12th October 2012, 08:39 PM
Only now have I just realised it comes with the Master Sword :o

When I was asked if I wanted one I was like hell yea. Didn't need to look at pictures. So the Master Sword is a nice surprise for me :D

liegeprime
12th October 2012, 11:34 PM
I've already moved my Brave Max with the RiD figures and set aside a large area on the top shelf of my G1s for this figure, :D:D...... I've done the same for the opposite decepticon top shelf in case Overlord comes to pass heheheheheh:p

Rampage
15th October 2012, 07:50 PM
If I take the Mrs on a holiday I get this for our anniversary

fatbot
15th October 2012, 07:59 PM

Sweet! The Plumpton motor inn's calling mate! Have a great time!

canofwhoopass_87
15th October 2012, 09:57 PM
Still can't believe the thread title is "Encore 23 Fort Max"...

griffin
16th October 2012, 12:54 AM
Still can't believe the thread title is "Encore 23 Fort Max"...

Why? That's what it is being referred to by the toy dealers.
And is the next one in line for release (http://www.soundwavesoblivion.com/reissueencore.html).

Tober
16th October 2012, 01:42 AM
I deduce it's the colloquialised abbreviation of "Fortress Maximus" that persists in giving Mr. Can of Whoopass LXXXVII difficulties in cognitive comprehension ... ;)

Also, there was a joke thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=13312&highlight=maximus) with the correct title just to mess things up.

Bartrim
16th October 2012, 08:02 AM

LMAO. What about the Jolly Knight? I see that every time Ben and I go to the fair. $65 a night. Can't beat that.

canofwhoopass_87
16th October 2012, 11:17 AM
Why? That's what it is being referred to by the toy dealers.
And is the next one in line for release (http://www.soundwavesoblivion.com/reissueencore.html).

I deduce it's the colloquialised abbreviation of "Fortress Maximus" that persists in giving Mr. Can of Whoopass LXXXVII difficulties in cognitive comprehension ... ;)

Nah it's more of a "I honestly didn't think Fort Max was ever gona be reissued in a million years" sorta thing :p

UltraMarginal
16th October 2012, 12:38 PM
..... I've done the same for the opposite decepticon top shelf in case Overlord comes to pass heheheheheh:p

Optimistic much!!:cool:

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Tober
16th October 2012, 05:11 PM
So Fort Max has been listed at Amiami (http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-2735&page=top) for 21% off and sold out almost instantly. :eek:

EDIT: HLJ have listed (http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT47613) for 20% off.

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th October 2012, 05:33 PM
So Fort Max has been listed at Amiami (http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-2735&page=top) for 21% off and sold out almost instantly. :eek:

EDIT: HLJ have listed (http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT47613) for 20% off.

Hmm, turns out to be just under $300 Aus. i think I might be able to swing that.

Cheers Tober :D

Tober
16th October 2012, 05:38 PM
Hmm, turns out to be just under $300 Aus. i think I might be able to swing that.

Cheers Tober :D

Amine Export (http://www.anime-export.com/product/11356) still has the better deal. And Robot Kingdom is good too.

Then there's that group buy for Perth in the sales section... :confused:

Tetsuwan Convoy
16th October 2012, 05:58 PM
Amine Export (http://www.anime-export.com/product/11356) still has the better deal. And Robot Kingdom is good too.

D'oh, thought that was an eastern states thing. Thanks again Tober:D:D

gdmetro
16th October 2012, 06:26 PM

Hmm so anime export is quite the deal. Never ordered from Japan before. Wonder what the shipping difference between buying from RK or Anime export... the latter already has a $30USD+ dollar saving upfront..

Decisions.....

Tober
16th October 2012, 06:35 PM
Hmm so anime export is quite the deal. Never ordered from Japan before. Wonder what the shipping difference between buying from RK or Anime export... the latter already has a $30USD+ dollar saving upfront..

Decisions.....

$100 EMS from Japan at the current exchange rate (1aud = 82jpy).

Rampage
16th October 2012, 08:05 PM

I was thinking more the Formula 1 on the corner of the Cumberland & GWH:p

Robzy
16th October 2012, 11:34 PM
Pardon my ignorance, how does the Pre-order system work at Robot Kingdom? Do you pay now, or when he item arrives?

I've bought stuff from RK many many times over the years, and they're great... I've just never bought a pre-order item. Anyone know how it works?

:)

Tober
16th October 2012, 11:41 PM
Pardon my ignorance, how does the Pre-order system work at Robot Kingdom? Do you pay now, or when he item arrives?

I've bought stuff from RK many many times over the years, and they're great... I've just never bought a pre-order item. Anyone know how it works?

:)

You pay upfront for pre-orders - item/s and shipping. They don't let you alter the order once you've made it tho. If you order in-stock and pre-order items together, then you have to wait until all items are in-stock before they ship.

Robzy
17th October 2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks Tober :) I prefer the BBTS way of doing things, where you only pay when/if the order comes in. Oh well.

liegeprime
17th October 2012, 12:20 AM
Optimistic much!!:cool:

Well this was my reply before to the Fort max thread we had that started as an April fools by Gok..... "One can dream" :D:D:D:D... but to add now, it does come true sometimes, so dream on hehehe:D

Hursticon
17th October 2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks Tober :) I prefer the BBTS way of doing things, where you only pay when/if the order comes in. Oh well.

Which is why I was waiting & checking Amiami every day since this bloke was announced, only to get a tweet yesterday about him going up & almost instantaneously selling out! :eek::(

Luckily, I was given a direct link to HLJ's preorder page and damn well immediately placed my order! :D:cool:
The good thing about HLJ is you don't have to pay up front and you can edit your order at any time! ;)