PDA

View Full Version : The worst mould/figure released

Starscream77
6th October 2012, 09:39 PM
Hi all
In your opinion what is the worst mould/figure ever released?
Based on overall look, transformation, playability etc.

May stir up some interesting chat but remember everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Kazza
6th October 2012, 09:53 PM
2007 megatron leaderclass is one ugly piece of... most bay movie toys were aesthetically unappealing

LordCyrusOmega
6th October 2012, 10:34 PM
2007 movie Deluxe Scorponok. Nothing about that toy appeals to me. It's like they threw in a half arsed robot mode so it would transform

SkyWarp91
6th October 2012, 10:42 PM
Universe 2.0 Galvatron. Nuff said

Decepticon
6th October 2012, 10:57 PM
G1 figures......except Optimus, and Soundwave.

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2012, 11:19 PM
Every Action Master.

Trent
6th October 2012, 11:29 PM
Every Action Master.

Worst.
Transformation.
Ever.

Right up there with Pretenders.

As far as worst looks go: Bayverse wins hands down.

Bidoofdude
6th October 2012, 11:33 PM
Does Star Wars crossovers count? Coz they suck, especially Darth Vader (tie) and Emperor Palpatine. Death Star vader was alright though. But those two were floppy and mis-alligned and cheap etc. :( And of course bayverse megatron.

drahsrebu
6th October 2012, 11:39 PM
rotf evac. Just plain hidious.

rocman12
6th October 2012, 11:51 PM
Every Action Master.

Agree! Action Masters by far!!!!

Autocon
7th October 2012, 12:21 AM
rotf evac. Just plain hidious.

The dlx or voyager?

From the toys that I have owned, Scout Warpath red 4wd. Artculation is shocking from the shape of the mold unabling him to move:rolleyes:

Do they have to trasnform? Those movie roundabout figures were crap.

drahsrebu
7th October 2012, 12:30 AM
The dlx or voyager?

From the toys that I have owned, Scout Warpath red 4wd. Artculation is shocking from the shape of the mold unabling him to move:rolleyes:

Do they have to trasnform? Those movie roundabout figures were crap.

deluxe, its just soooo meh, gave it to my 6 year old for a bath toy:eek:

liegeprime
7th October 2012, 12:42 AM
these 4 - crappy bots IMO

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/Miscellaneous/Crappybotmodes.jpg

morg176
7th October 2012, 12:48 AM
most of the pretenders, great concept, very poor execution. And the duocons, again great concept, very poor execution- no articulation

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2012, 01:34 AM
Right up there with Pretenders.

most of the pretenders, great concept, very poor execution. And the duocons, again great concept, very poor execution- no articulation
Actually, most Pretenders are probably better articulated than your average G1 Transformer. But I find that most of the 1988 Pretenders were the crappier ones. They did get better in 1989.

Problems with the 1988 Pretenders included:
+ Really uninspiring transformations/designs. A lot of them just chuck their legs over to transform. I've see human contortionists do better. Gunrunner would have to be the worst of the lot. His accessory _is_ his alt mode! The robot itself transforms into... a folded up robot.
+ WTH?! alt modes. Nobody likes WTH?! alt modes -- that's why Bayverse TF1 and ROTF Megatron sucks... from robot to "Buh???" and back. To be effective robots in disguise, they need to transform into an immediately recognisable alt mode. Waverider was the first Pretender I got -- when I opened that toy I started running around the backyard playing with it like a jet/spaceship. Then I read the tech specs and discovered that it's meant to be a submersible... with wings. Then I got Landmine - ooh, a tank, no wait, an asteroid mining vehicle? Sure, why not. Splashdown's a boat/sub?? I don't know...

They did make a considerably better effort in 1989 though. The '89 Pretenders' transformations were still pretty simple, but much better executed than their forerunners. And most importantly, you can immediately recognise what the hell they're supposed to be! Bludgeon's clearly a tank, Thunderwing's clearly a jet, Stranglehold's clearly a rhinoceros... heck, even each of the Pretender Monsters have fairly definitive looking monster modes (e.g. Firefly's clearly some kind of winged demon/monster - even if we don't know kind of monster it is, what it's supposed to be is clear enough. You're not going to mistake it for a bus or something). And IMHO, Pretender Bumblebee was the best G1 Bumblebee toy made! Even the crappier 1989 Pretenders, like Grimlock, still had a more thought-out transformation design and definitive looking alt mode. You can _see_ that it's meant to be a robotic T-Rex. The best 1988 Pretender was probably Metalhawk -- he's clearly a jet fighter. Of course, he was only released in Japan, and the thing I don't like about Metalhawk is how "cartoony" his Pretender shell looks. Clashes with the style of the other Autobot Pretenders. :/

Kazza
7th October 2012, 01:51 AM
Hmm looking at the legends mudflap that came with battle ops bumblebee... what is wrong with his head :rolleyes: his face... so ugly, makes me think of the hunchback of notre dame:p

Tober
7th October 2012, 08:19 AM
I actually quite liked this line of Transformers. However:

Plastic Addict 30: #1 Worst Transformer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUJLYfb_rMg&feature=player_embedded)

Hursticon
7th October 2012, 01:23 PM
I actually quite liked this line of Transformers. However:

Plastic Addict 30: #1 Worst Transformer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUJLYfb_rMg&feature=player_embedded)

Saw that, oh what a woeful effort of a "Toy" :p
Personally, I'd go with Beast Machines: Silverbolt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jghaTHieYHM) - So bad that it doesn't even look like it is a Transformer Toy, hell, you couldn't even mistake it for a Beast Wars figure! :rolleyes:

Starscream77
7th October 2012, 01:47 PM
The TF Prime Airacnid figure is pretty bad, reminds me of a transexual beast wars creation

M-bot
7th October 2012, 05:49 PM
It's been mentioned already, for mine it's definitely ROTF Evac (deluxe), same mould was also used for Blazemaster. Robot mode looks like some kind of mutant chicken.:rolleyes:
Seriously, no self respecting TF should have arms or legs that look like that. What the hell were they thinking?

5FDP
7th October 2012, 09:30 PM
G1 figures......except Optimus, and Soundwave.

That comment should get you an instant ban on this forum :mad: ;) :p

Do Happy Meal Transformers count? If so, Energon Optimus Prime wins hands down. His transformation is basically - fold the arms back, fold his head back, fold his legs back... and that's it. He looks like he's bending over backwards :D

Trent
7th October 2012, 10:00 PM
That comment should get you an instant ban on this forum :mad: ;) :p

Do Happy Meal Transformers count? If so, Energon Optimus Prime wins hands down. His transformation is basically - fold the arms back, fold his head back, fold his legs back... and that's it. He looks like he's bending over backwards :D

Actually now that you mention McDonald's toys, the Prime ones they had recently, DIDN'T EVEN TRANSFORM!!! So while they don't get my vote, still deserve an honourable mention. :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2012, 10:16 PM
The Red Rooster movie meal toys were even worse than the Maccas Happy Meal Prime toys... at least the Prime toys have some kind of play gimmick. Megatron was just a PVC figurine of Megatron 'encased' in a blue plastic shell (oh, it's meant to be ice? Looks more like something from the Fortress of Solitude), and Bumblebee was a Camaro driven by a non-transforming Bumblebee robot?!? So... Bumblebee's driving himself?! :confused:

Jinto
8th October 2012, 12:55 PM
Saw that, oh what a woeful effort of a "Toy" :p
Personally, I'd go with Beast Machines: Silverbolt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jghaTHieYHM) - So bad that it doesn't even look like it is a Transformer Toy, hell, you couldn't even mistake it for a Beast Wars figure! :rolleyes:

*sigh* Yeah what a disappointment. The character I was most looking forward to returning after BW. He went from being a dreamboat to jellyfish-turkey. :p

The TF Prime Airacnid figure is pretty bad, reminds me of a transexual beast wars creation

We do not mention "She-who-must-not-be-named"!

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2012, 04:10 PM
Some other forgettable moulds:
+ Firecons (especially in their G2 colours)
+ G2 Powermasters
+ Action Master Elites <-- they try to transform but fail miserably! :rolleyes:
+ Retrax <-- totally overdonimated by the gimmick, which in itself is fun in beast mode, but annoying and stupid in robot mode, and just compromises the robot mode too much.
+ Rachel/Lion <--she sucks even by Animorphs standards, and they have pretty low standards!
+ Combiner Class ROTF Devastator

Deonasis
8th October 2012, 05:42 PM
Very little plastic on Armada Smokescreen & Scavenger look good to me.

Tallestblue
8th October 2012, 07:06 PM
Yeah...Armada Sideswipe is one big bowl of suck. I hate that guy.

Deonasis
8th October 2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah...Armada Sideswipe is one big bowl of suck. I hate that guy.Hell yes!

LordCyrusOmega
8th October 2012, 09:16 PM
Combiner Class ROTF Devastator
I think that even though he didn't have individual robot modes, he still has merit as a toy. Though he is more of a constuction Voltron or MegaZord

The Cybertron repaint Runamuck was even worse, didn't even have a minicon

Classics 2 pack Optimus Prime is pretty bad.

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th October 2012, 09:17 PM
Ha ha ha! So many coming out of the woodwork. I think I mentioned mine in some thread somewhere, I hate the Energon Dinobots.

Just looking at them makes me angry. Yet I can't sell them, because they are so awful.

LordCyrusOmega
8th October 2012, 09:20 PM
I was going to say them but Grimlock isn't that bad IMO. Swoop was passable. They would have been better if not for the combiner gimmick

Prowl
8th October 2012, 10:07 PM
I find Ratchet/Ironhide G1 robot modes to be about as bad as it gets. Alt mode gives them a pass though but not by much.

rocman12
8th October 2012, 10:34 PM
I find Ratchet/Ironhide G1 robot modes to be about as bad as it gets. Alt mode gives them a pass though but not by much.

Totally forgot about those two! They are shocking!!! No robot heads. Their robot modes are so bad i display them as cars!

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2012, 10:53 PM
They do have heads! Just because they don't look like the cartoon heads (which came after the toys) doesn't mean they don't have heads! :rolleyes:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/avatar_ironhide.jpg

Their robot modes may be less conventional compared to the other Autobot cars (because they're not as anthropomorphically humanoid) but that doesn't mean that they're bad per se. They have a head, two arms, two hands, two legs, two feet -- and the robots connect to mobile battle platforms. And okay, the heads aren't great - but they're there. And it makes sense when you take in consideration their Diaclone origins where Ironhide and Ratchet weren't the kind of conventional piloted mecha that the other Car Robots were, but were meant to be power-armours (kinda like what Ripley used in Aliens, only on a larger scale - up to 3 Diaclone pilots could operate one of them) that reinforced the other Car Robots by carrying munitions for them (hence the mobile platforms). This (http://diaclone.net/orid/dia037/03722.jpg) is what they were meant to look like.

Maybe Hasbro shouldn't have picked them for Transformers. Maybe these moulds didn't "translate" so well as sentient robots (I disagree). But that doesn't make the moulds inherently bad per se. Just because they're different doesn't make them bad IMHO.

Alt mode gives them a pass though but not by much.
What's wrong with their alt modes? I find them to be pretty good representations of Nissan Onebox Cherry vanettes. Japan has some pretty small vanettes and ambulances (I've been in one) cos they got narrow roads. Here are some photos of real Onebox Cherries:
http://gazou2.mbsrv.net/car/20110817_2131_2036.jpg
http://happy.ap.teacup.com/indigo-liner/timg/middle_1298202428.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Vanette

liegeprime
8th October 2012, 11:29 PM
I add this figure to the list.. forgot his name....but seriously though Cybertron figures were mostly awesome, new molds and all that, articulated and stands well - but of that whole line there's this figure... its bike mode is somewhat ok, but transforming him to bot mode, geeez its quasimodo bikebot or whatever. It's a shame coz the altmode is a good concept but eh the execution is just sloppy, especially since it's a modern day toy... and eery toy in the line is good .:(:(

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/DSC02164.jpg

does anyone remember his name?

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2012, 11:53 PM
Gloriouz? (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Lugnutz) :p

Lugnutz iz... okay... I like hiz repaint Hightail, coz one of my ztudentz at the time gave it to me az a prezent for my birthdayz. The only time I've rezeived a Tranzformer toy az a gift from a ztudent! :D

liegeprime
8th October 2012, 11:58 PM
yeah him.. see in the art he looks rather "dashing" biker bot, only in execution to a toy , siiiiiiggghhhhhh. FAAIIIILLL!!!!, Quasimodoesque, so top heavy, the whole altmode (bike) basically is kibble the the robot parts seem to be just outgrowths or something, FAAAAAILLL!!! Whatever articulation is hindered with all the bike parts hanging there.... its like he's acarrying his altmode literally all on his shoulders!! and the head/ face it's just pop it up that's it. It hasn't lived up to the niceness of what all the rest of the figures in the entire line has. This figure was so forced into becoming a transformer... the heck THIS thing got approved into a toy, really Hasbro ?!?! Did they not see the robot mode or something in planning stage and just saw the biker altmode and said ... yep that's good to go....sigh.

Cat
9th October 2012, 12:12 AM
Armada Sideswipe is one of the worst of this century.

Just horrible.

GoktimusPrime
9th October 2012, 10:26 AM
He does suck, but there are even more suckful Armada toys out there... Scavenger makes Sideswipe look good!

I think that even though he didn't have individual robot modes, he still has merit as a toy. Though he is more of a constuction Voltron or MegaZord
Yeah, but he's meant to be a Transformer... and also at the massively expensive RRP... the Legends set was way better value! 7 boths, better designs/engineering/sculpts, robot modes and cheaper!

The Cybertron repaint Runamuck was even worse, didn't even have a minicon
As a repaint/retool of Armada Sideswipe, that's not surprising. :) Although the Nightbeat Mini-Con was also really crap, so he's not missing out on anything great by not having it. :rolleyes:

I was going to say them but Grimlock isn't that bad IMO. Swoop was passable. They would have been better if not for the combiner gimmick
It's made worse by the fact that they don't even have 5mm post compatible fist holes! The one cool feature about the Unicron Trilogy was how they standardised the universal 5mm weapon/accessory system, so that any Autobot/Decepticon could wield any weapon from each other - e.g. Mini-Con weapons (e.g. Star Sabre etc), Energon weapons et al. The Energon Dinobots come with NO weapons of their own, and the <5mm sized fist holes means that they can't even share weapons with any other Armadaverse toy! It's as if they don't belong in that line! (but they do) (-_-)

Alpha Quintesson is pretty crappy too. I just got him because he's the only licensed Quintesson toy out there. The missile launcher is fragile; mine broke off. :(

BigTransformerTrev
9th October 2012, 12:13 PM
Personally, I always found Blot to be one of the worst designed Gen 1 robots. Which sucks because I still have to buy him at some stage to finish off my Terrorcon collection.

I mean, what is he anyway? A mutated almalgamation of a mole and a nose?:confused:

Tetsuwan Convoy
9th October 2012, 03:36 PM

Personally, I always found Blot to be one of the worst designed Gen 1 robots. Which sucks because I still have to buy him at some stage to finish off my Terrorcon collection.

I mean, what is he anyway? A mutated almalgamation of a mole and a nose?:confused:

Wow, a lot of the Transformers i like are showing up on this list. (Well three).

Ironhide and Ratchet, I like them coz they suck. The angry stickers theyhave for faces makes them look constipated! GOLD. They'd be better if they hadn't been designed with their bay modes.

Blot was my second favourite Terrocon, after Rippersnapper. I always thought of him as a monster gorilla. Not guerilla.

rocman12
9th October 2012, 04:27 PM
They do have heads! Just because they don't look like the cartoon heads (which came after the toys) doesn't mean they don't have heads! :rolleyes:

They have faces, not heads! :D

UltraMarginal
9th October 2012, 11:23 PM
I'd have to say one of my most disliked moulds would have to be the ROTF Ravage.
the alt mode is worse than scorponoks, at least scorponok has "no step" and other aircraft related decals all over him that imply he is part of the rear panneling of a Helicopter.

the alt mode for ravage is "scared cat rolled up in a ball" The transformation is fiddly, but simplistic, the plastic has mold lines and flashing all over it, it's thin and cheap feeling and the robot mode while fairly movie accurate has pretty poor articulation for it's time and compared to other movie toys. rubbish.

GoktimusPrime
10th October 2012, 12:07 AM
His alt mode is a Re-Entry Mode!
...even though Ravage never uses it to re-enter the atmosphere. I mean, he enters the atmosphere when Soundwave shoots him, but after that he doesn't leave an re-enter. I doubt he could even generate enough thrust to break the Earth's gravitational pull! :rolleyes:

Scorponok transforms into a bad robot, but at least it's a robot!

BigTransformerTrev
10th October 2012, 10:43 AM
I'd have to say one of my most disliked moulds would have to be the ROTF Ravage.
the alt mode is worse than scorponoks, at least scorponok has "no step" and other aircraft related decals all over him that imply he is part of the rear panneling of a Helicopter.

the alt mode for ravage is "scared cat rolled up in a ball" The transformation is fiddly, but simplistic, the plastic has mold lines and flashing all over it, it's thin and cheap feeling and the robot mode while fairly movie accurate has pretty poor articulation for it's time and compared to other movie toys. rubbish.

While his alt-mode is pretty crap, I do actually like the look of ROTF Ravage, for me he was one of the few highlights of the movie and I think he looks pretty wicked sitting on my shelf :D

Prowl
10th October 2012, 05:28 PM
Maybe Hasbro shouldn't have picked them for Transformers. Maybe these moulds didn't "translate" so well as sentient robots (I disagree). But that doesn't make the moulds inherently bad per se. Just because they're different doesn't make them bad IMHO.

No maybe about it I am afraid. They translate horrendously when compared to the cartoon. That is not the fault of their design just the fact that they were poor choices by Hasbro.

I remember when I received Jazz & Ramjet as a kid. They were cool toys. Then there was the poor kid who got Ratchet or Ironhide. Imagine their disappointment at receiving such a sucky toy compared to every other Transformer which was infinitely cooler. The real tragedy is that Ratchet & Ironhide played such major characters in the cartoon with the crappiest of crappy toys allocated to them.

What's wrong with their alt modes? I find them to be pretty good representations of Nissan Onebox Cherry vanettes. Japan has some pretty small vanettes and ambulances (I've been in one) cos they got narrow roads. Here are some photos of real Onebox Cherries:
http://gazou2.mbsrv.net/car/20110817_2131_2036.jpg
http://happy.ap.teacup.com/indigo-liner/timg/middle_1298202428.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Vanette

I like their alt modes. That is primarily the reason I display them in alt mode as it is show accurate. Maybe getting those 3rd party heads would fix that?

Sharky
10th October 2012, 08:54 PM
No maybe about it I am afraid. They translate horrendously when compared to the cartoon. That is not the fault of their design just the fact that they were poor choices by Hasbro.

I remember when I received Jazz & Ramjet as a kid. They were cool toys. Then there was the poor kid who got Ratchet or Ironhide. Imagine their disappointment at receiving such a sucky toy compared to every other Transformer which was infinitely cooler.

Ratchet was the first Autobot car I got and I picked it over Wheeljack cause I liked the fact it had a little medi bay thing, sure the robot was sucky but man the playability of that guy was awesome

I have 4 now

Prowl
10th October 2012, 09:29 PM
Ratchet was the first Autobot car I got and I picked it over Wheeljack cause I liked the fact it had a little medi bay thing, sure the robot was sucky but man the playability of that guy was awesome

I have 4 now

A fair enough point & when you are a kid imagination does go a long long way. I borrowed Ironhide as a child one weekend & did not enjoy playing with him much. My least infulential Transformer, whereas the Prowl mold is the most.

GoktimusPrime
10th October 2012, 11:07 PM
That's dubious comparison IMO, because the toys came before the cartoon. And the cartoon cheated - a lot. If you look at Classicsverse Ironhide and Ratchet you can see how difficult it is to make toys based on the G1 cartoon models, and that's with modern day engineering! Nonetheless, it's easy for the cartoon models to look better than the toys because:
a) They came later, so obviously the animators are going to try to make them look cooler.
b) They can "cheat" by ignoring laws of physics/reality. Where do their mobile battle platforms go? Who cares, they just disappear into sub space, right? :p

I remember when I received Jazz & Ramjet as a kid. They were cool toys. Then there was the poor kid who got Ratchet or Ironhide. Imagine their disappointment at receiving such a sucky toy compared to every other Transformer which was infinitely cooler. The real tragedy is that Ratchet & Ironhide played such major characters in the cartoon with the crappiest of crappy toys allocated to them.
I never felt that way about them. In fact, I always used to imagine that their windows in front of their heads were like HUDs that could display all kinds of cool information etc. - so in the middle of battle they saw things similar to how Hot Rod looked at the hole in the Autobot shuttle through his visor. ;)

Maybe getting those 3rd party heads would fix that?
I've seen the 3rd party heads IRL and I don't like them. They sit way too far above the shoulders. The only way it'd work would be for the heads to sit over or in front of the existing heads, rather than covering them up and sitting on top of them. Because with the 3rd party heads (and the cardboard heads that come with the Encores are equally guilty of this), the arms look like they're coming out of their lower ribs! (http://cdn103.iofferphoto.com/img/item/507/069/195/9-9-transformers-g1-ratchet-ironhide-heads-mint-in-box-bb2a.jpg) Honestly, if you want more show-like toys of G1 Ironhide and Ratchet, get the Universe or Henkei figures.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/Goldgaigar/TF_G1_part2/TFH_Ratchet_Ironhide.jpg

klystron
11th October 2012, 12:56 AM
Fun thread!

I reckon there are heaps of crap TFs out there, but I have never even seen most of them IRL, so I'll limit myself to figures with which I've had firsthand experience.

I was always terribly disappointed with the Terrorcons, especially Blot. No idea what the alt mode is, and the bot is not much better. None of the Terrorcons had proper arms, just stumpy little things that only appeared to bend at the elbow and didnt reach past their chests.
So sad. Especially given how much I love Hun-Grrr. Nowadays I have the other 4 only as accessories for my HG.

And G1 Blurr. Ugly bot. And sorry, but that is not a car.

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th October 2012, 03:01 AM
I always wanted Ratchet as a kid because of his med bay and I saw him as a mini version of Optimus in that respect (having the trailer). I never got my hands on one until the Encores came around and while the 'robot' mode is crap, the combined coolness of the robot AND the med bay in such a small little TF made me happier than some of my other (more modern) recent purchases at the time!:D

Trent
11th October 2012, 09:34 AM
That's dubious comparison IMO, because the toys came before the cartoon. And the cartoon cheated - a lot. If you look at Classicsverse Ironhide and Ratchet you can see how difficult it is to make toys based on the G1 cartoon models, and that's with modern day engineering! Nonetheless, it's easy for the cartoon models to look better than the toys because:
a) They came later, so obviously the animators are going to try to make them look cooler.
b) They can "cheat" by ignoring laws of physics/reality. Where do their mobile battle platforms go? Who cares, they just disappear into sub space, right? :p

I never felt that way about them. In fact, I always used to imagine that their windows in front of their heads were like HUDs that could display all kinds of cool information etc. - so in the middle of battle they saw things similar to how Hot Rod looked at the hole in the Autobot shuttle through his visor. ;)

I've seen the 3rd party heads IRL and I don't like them. They sit way too far above the shoulders. The only way it'd work would be for the heads to sit over or in front of the existing heads, rather than covering them up and sitting on top of them. Because with the 3rd party heads (and the cardboard heads that come with the Encores are equally guilty of this), the arms look like they're coming out of their lower ribs! (http://cdn103.iofferphoto.com/img/item/507/069/195/9-9-transformers-g1-ratchet-ironhide-heads-mint-in-box-bb2a.jpg) Honestly, if you want more show-like toys of G1 Ironhide and Ratchet, get the Universe or Henkei figures.

Or these…

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/Wrxus/B9D8A274-517A-4747-BA0F-599F7FE66D05-2192-000004E3205C8290.jpg

rocman12
11th October 2012, 10:42 AM
I was thinking about purchasing the third party heads that slip onto the original G1 bodies of ironhide and ratchet to make them look more like the cartoon. Has anyone purchased these? If so whats your opinion on them?

GoktimusPrime
11th October 2012, 10:43 AM
I was always terribly disappointed with the Terrorcons, especially Blot. No idea what the alt mode is, and the bot is not much better. None of the Terrorcons had proper arms, just stumpy little things that only appeared to bend at the elbow and didnt reach past their chests.
So sad. Especially given how much I love Hun-Grrr. Nowadays I have the other 4 only as accessories for my HG.
I quite liked Rippersnapper when I was a kid... the idea of a walking shark was pretty cool to me. Sinnertwin is pretty cool too, cos the whole Greek mythology thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthrus). ;) But you're right, Hun-Gurrr is a great toy. :D But I don't mind the limbformers so much... they're just cheap carded figures anyway (although I agree that Blot is by far the worst :p). I have more of an issue with expensive crap toys, like Combiner Class Devastator or Ultimate "Not-Quite-A-Mega-Pretender" Optimus Prime etc.

The Aerialbots' limbformers, as a group, are kinda crappy because they all look too similar to each other. They all have the same basic transformation scheme of pull the legs down, flip the nosecone and tail section to join at the back, pull arms out. At least the Terrorcons all look distinctly different from each other. The sameness of the Aerialbots looks the worst when they combine to form Superion -- good luck telling which limb is who. Individually speaking, the Aerialbot limbformers are nice toys, but as a group I find them disappointing due to too much uniformity in their design. Usually we see this when toys in a sub group have some main gimmick that dictates a kind of design uniformity, like Jumpstarters, Battlechargers, Throttlebots, Go-Bots/Spychangers etc. -- but there's no need for the Aerialbots to be so similar (as demonstrated by all the other Scramble gestalt teams).

Look at this picture of G1 Superion (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/6/69/Menasor_superion_heavy_traffic.jpg) and see if you can name/identify which Aerialbot is forming which limb! I can't tell the difference, the arms and legs all look the same! In stark contrast you can tell who each of those Stunticons are on Menasor (although for some reason Wildrider (the left arm) is miscoloured red like Dead End... go Nel Yomtov's shoddy colouring!!) - but at least the Stunticons are distinctive enough that even with incorrect colouring you can tell the difference). Individually the Terrorcon limbs might be disappointing, but at least as a group they're distinct from each other. Even in this mediocre animation and obscured by flames image (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/2/25/HeadFormation_MonsterbotsVsAbominus.JPG) you can tell which limb is who.

And G1 Blurr. Ugly bot. And sorry, but that is not a car.
lol, so true. :) And the way the shield forms the front is lame IMO.
On that note, G1 Scourge is the crappiest of the G1 Decepticon jets. Did anyone else honestly think he was a hovercraft (or some kind of boat) when they first saw this toy??? It wasn't until I saw Transformers The Movie that I realised, "That's a jet?!?" :eek:

Or these…
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/Wrxus/th_B9D8A274-517A-4747-BA0F-599F7FE66D05-2192-000004E3205C8290.jpg
I don't recognise those Transformers. :confused: Are they Transformers or somebody's kitbash/custom or unlicensed 3rd party toys?

Trent
11th October 2012, 03:29 PM
3rd party. Igear PP05 (http://www.igeartoys.com/?page_id=604)

klystron
12th October 2012, 01:13 AM
Look at this picture of G1 Superion (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/6/69/Menasor_superion_heavy_traffic.jpg) and see if you can name/identify which Aerialbot is forming which limb! I can't tell the difference, the arms and legs all look the same! In stark contrast you can tell who each of those Stunticons are on Menasor (although for some reason Wildrider (the left arm) is miscoloured red like Dead End... go Nel Yomtov's shoddy colouring!!) - but at least the Stunticons are distinctive enough that even with incorrect colouring you can tell the difference). Individually the Terrorcon limbs might be disappointing, but at least as a group they're distinct from each other. Even in this mediocre animation and obscured by flames image (http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/2/25/HeadFormation_MonsterbotsVsAbominus.JPG) you can tell which limb is who.

Yes you are right. From that POV the Terrorcons > Aerialbots. But I put more weight in the individual Aerialbot toys being much stronger figures than the Terrorcons.
And while (IMO) Abominus trumps Superion, I would rather have an AirRaid toy in my hand than a Blot or a Rippersnapper.

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2012, 10:17 AM
But I put more weight in the individual Aerialbot toys being much stronger figures than the Terrorcons.
And while (IMO) Abominus trumps Superion, I would rather have an AirRaid toy in my hand than a Blot or a Rippersnapper.
Oh yes, I absolutely agree with that. Individually the Aerialbots are better toys, but as a group/gestalt, the Terrorcons/Abominus > Aerialbots/Superion, simply because there's greater diversity in the designs, even if the execution itself isn't as good. :)

seespotrun
20th October 2012, 01:45 AM
the alt mode for ravage is "scared cat rolled up in a ball" ...

You are mistaken, dear sir. Ravage's true alt mode is a robotic chicken (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/241521-fun-rotf-ravage-chicken-mode.html). And who doesn't like robotic killer chickens?

The Armada sideswipe mould was pretty terrible---I'm surprised Hasbro got so many repaints out of it. At least he has a decent alt mode though, and his repaint Universe Oil Slick (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Oil_Slick_%28Universe%29) came as a freebie with the rather expensive Crystal Widow (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Crystal_Widow), herself a nice repaint of one of the better fembot moulds we've gotten.