PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - Generations FOC Combaticons wave

griffin
9th October 2012, 02:54 PM
(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Posting these five toys into the one topic, as most will get the set.

Fall of Cybertron Combaticons (Onslaught, Brawl, Swindle, Vortex, Blast Off)
Series - Generations
Sub-line - Fall of Cybertron
Size/class - Deluxe
Wave - 2
New/remould/redeco - new to retail (advance release at SDCC in July)
Released here - October 2012 (globally September)
Approximate Retail Price - AU$25-30 each
Approximate Size - 14cm (each), 30cm (combined)
Allegiance - Decepticons
Alt-mode - Cybertronian military vehicles (each), giant robot (combined)
Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner.
Main Colours - Blue/yellow (Blast Off), Green/black (Brawl), Dark blue/black (Onslaught), Yellow/purple/black (Swindle), red/purple (Vortex).
Main Accessories -

Blast Off
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen24.jpg

Brawl
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen25.jpg

Onslaught
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen26.jpg

Swindle
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen27.jpg

Vortex
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen28.jpg

Bruticus
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/tftoys/gen26a.jpg
(Official images above - actual toy images will be inserted later)

Cat
16th October 2012, 08:48 PM
I've had Swindle for a few weeks now, and am waiting for the others to get here.

Swindle is bright. VERY VERY bright. The yellow is blinding.

At first you think you have a bad one that's missed a paint ap, but no, his face (minus his visor) is meant to be unpainted.

There's some nice sculpted detail, but without paint it fades into the yellow.

He's a bit barrel-chested, and doesn't really strike you as Swindle. Articulation is a bit hampered by the body-shape. The torso and arms don't fit we'll. his shoulders are around his midsection. The closer you are, the worse it looks.

As a toy on his own, he seems compromised.

I'd rate him just a tad below average.

Cat
17th October 2012, 09:31 PM
Onslaught - nice sculpt. Really nice sculpt.

He also has a surprising number of paint apps. A lot more than Swindle.

Fatally compromised by the combination requirements.
His forearms are teeny, and feel really flimsy. There's going to be a lot available with broken forearms at the elbow.

The plastic on them all feels a bit different to me. A bit thinner, a bit more brittle.

Cat
17th October 2012, 09:49 PM
Vortex: Teeny arms again. Seem VERY easy to break.

Not a good toy on its own. Has the complexity of a scout, when you minus what's needed for the larger gestalt formation.

Colours are... Well, they are.

Paint is a bit sloppier on him than the others. Probably a fluke, but I'd suggest taking your time and comparing, if you have that option.

Cool weapons.

Cat
17th October 2012, 10:15 PM
Blast-Off : the silver shoulder pieces look fantastic. They really pop. There's also some nice cross-hatch texturing on the yellow pieces on the chest and groin.

This is a surprisingly appealing sculpt. I was expecting mediocrity, but am pleasantly surprised. The arms aren't undersized or flimsy, but a panel or two on the forearms would have been great.

Again, more paint apps than I was expecting.

This is a pretty solid figure. Very ornate, and it stands out.

This is probably the best of them so far (I'm typing these in order of buying/opening, as I'm opening them for the first time).

This is a great stand-alone figure. It doesn't seem like its sacrificed anything for the combination. Very well done.

*I'm displaying the Hasbro version in Bruticus form. I'll be getting the TakTom versions for display in single robot modes. After opening them, I'm rethinking which ones I want for single display, and I think I'll just get United Brawl and Swindle. Blast-Off is also a strong possibility, due to the strength of the sculpt.

I'll be getting the Wreckers, but they'll be in single form.

Cat
17th October 2012, 10:36 PM
Brawl: a favourite of mine from childhood.

I really want to like this toy more than I do. Everything feels a bit 'bunched in' in robot mode, like he's really uptight.

The legs are a bit spindly, and the forearms could do with a folding panel to cover some gaps and joints. Large piece of kibble on the back under the turret. This shows through between the thighs. Would have been nice to be able to fold it away. It messes up your perspective of the proportions.

Not a lot of paint. Needs some highlights to add visual interest (which the TakTom version does wonderfully).

It's an average figure. Nothing great, but nothing bad.

GoktimusPrime
17th October 2012, 11:08 PM
I found all of the Combaticons to be quite disappointing. None of them are exceptionally good - mediocre at best. People who found the previous FoC toys disappointing will be even more disappointed with these figures.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Fall%20of%20Cybertron/foccombaticons01.jpg

+ Swindle has the worst robot mode of the lot... looks terrible from behind. Like one of those cheap toys you'd find in a dodgy marketplace packaged entirely in Chinese and bad Engrish. Vehicle mode is okay.

+ Vortex really needed wrist articulation so that he could at least displace the rotors to the side of his arm (instead they're permanently pointing forward). His "skirt" hinders leg articulation. The vehicle mode is alright and the rotors spin really well. He comes with swords... even though his rotor blades are set up as a melee weapon. Could've really done with some guns. :/

+ Brawl's robot mode is alright, but hindered by massive back kibble. The vehicle mode is nice - my favourite of the group's... quite game-accurate. :)

+ Blast-Off has a nice robot mode except for the shoulders/arms which are prone to popping off, and the design hinders decent arm articulation. :( A real shame, because aside from that this figure had potential. Vehicle mode is nice and solid.

+ Onslaught has the most solid robot mode of the group (but still not exceptional compared to most other Deluxe Class Transformers). His vehicle mode is awful... it feels like it's incomplete. When I finished transforming him I thought I was only halfway through, then I checked the instructions and thought, "Oh my God... I'm done! That's it??" Anyone who dislikes G1 Kup's alt mode shouldn't look at this toy in vehicle mode. Avert your eyes!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Fall%20of%20Cybertron/foccombaticons02.jpg

I haven't merged this toy into Bruticus yet -- I'll do that later. I'd like to try to enjoy these toys as individual figures for a while first before I try that. I'd only recommend this set if you just want to complete the FoC Combaticons as a fan of the game/characters. As toys themselves, they're rather lacking. On the plus side they're currently available at Kmart for $23. I wouldn't advise paying $30 for them (and I'm mighty glad that I didn't).

VERT
17th October 2012, 11:26 PM
I do like them and im sure the Takara ones will look so much better. But I do feel that they...... Just feel light and kinda cheap. And whats with Blastoff as an arm. Its too long and it does not bend. Its like a huge pole arm.

Its good to see hasbro giving combiners a shot. But they could learn alot from 3rd Party combiners.

Cat
17th October 2012, 11:33 PM
Bruticus: Pretty nice, and the colours actually work together okay. It seems to dull the neon of Swindle.

It's really only the red of Vortex that stands out. I think I may swap him out for one of the various alternate versions.

I need to fool around with it more, to increase the range of articulation. Blast-Off has a disappointingly poor range of motion, and really needs a standard elbow joint. That's definitely a poor design choice, and a baffling one at that.

And unless you have Vortex-arm bent, it looks very strange, as Blast-Off is much longer. Again, another odd decision that has no benefit, as that arm is pretty useless anyway.

I'm annoyed with Swindle. His arms just don't really stow away. That, plus a few loose joints on mine mean his arms swing into view freely.

The weapon is annoying. You want Onslaught's weapon on his back. It adds to the overall look, and makes him look more menacing.

The way it's shown you can either have that, and a handful of individual weapons, or put them all together as the sonic cannon.

Thankfully you can still attach Onslaught's to his back, and still join the weapons into a solid and menacing combined piece. I actually think it looks better this way, but YMMV.

Overall it's fairly neat, and it's strong enough as a whole to cover for the individual weaknesses. I don't feel it's 5 deluxes worth, but it's a decent attempt.

It's also great to get a new combiner.

Trent
18th October 2012, 07:19 AM
After reading and watching numerous reviews, I came to the conclusion that these guys are just not worth the money. Which is a shame because I REALLY liked them in the game. That's what made me want them. I think they had a great team dynamic and the scene where they take the bridge of the energon transport is awesome. I could have overlooked the flaws in the individual toys if the combined mode made up for it, but I hear of too many people saying its just not as good as it should be.

I want to support Hasbro in their decision to venture back into combiners, but can't justify the expense on a bunch of toys that overall will leave me feeling disappointed.

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2012, 10:18 AM
After reading and watching numerous reviews, I came to the conclusion that these guys are just not worth the money.
I agree. Even getting them at $23 each I still feel ripped. I got these toys because I liked the characters from the game -- but they are pretty weak toys. If I found these toys loose and I didn't know any better, I'd swear they were KOs or those nasty Made-In-China transforming robot toys (they're not KOs, but they're really BADLY made - you know, the kind you find at Paddy's Markets). Maybe the combined Bruticus mode will compensate for the weakness of the individual figures... I don't know yet (I'll probably combine them tonight).

BigTransformerTrev
18th October 2012, 12:08 PM
To avoid paying a huge amount for sub-standard toys, I have pre-ordered G2 Bruticus for $59US from www.bigbadtoystore.com - I think they still have some you can order, they are due in November. Even with postage they should figure cheaper than in the shops. I thought I might get Swindle, Brawl and Onslaught in their G1 colours anyway, but after reading these reviews I'm not sure I will.

Cat
18th October 2012, 01:23 PM
These aren't five toys.

It's Bruticus or nothing.

If you don't plan to have them together in Bruticus mode, you're going to be very disappointed.

I'm really dismayed, as I was really looking forward to displaying the Wreckers separately.

For the price of the G2 version, it's a passable toy.

Otherwise.... It's overpriced.

They're just not good toys as separate figures.

Brawl is passable, as is Blast-Off. That's it.

Vortex would be passable as a scout.

The other two....no. Just no.

Trent
18th October 2012, 01:35 PM
Just saw then all in Kmart.

Bloody hell they're bright!

SMHFConvoy
18th October 2012, 02:25 PM
Swindle is bright. VERY VERY bright. The yellow is blinding I agree, the yellow is bright. I managed to move his shoulders further back, but there's nothing to lock them there. I only bought him to mod him as a pre BW Tarantulas. The head sculpt is excellent but really the only draw for this figure is the combiner feature.

i_amtrunks
18th October 2012, 07:52 PM
Of the three I bought today (Blast-off, Swindle and Brawl) I only truly enjoyed one of them.

Swindle feels like a KO figure, the plastic is that thin and the transformation feels like it is missing steps, the transformation is that simple. Mine struggles to remain together in alt mode,and the wheels do not roll well and again feel too thin and cheap. I love the colour and the alt mode looks decent, infact with his size and bulkiness he looks okay, it is only when you hold him or try to transform him do his flaws become apparent.

Blas-off is okay. The transformation feels like an Energon Superion limb, the paint apps are lovely and the size good, but I could not recommend this toy to anyone who was not either a massive fan of the game or wanted Bruticus.

Brawl is smaller than the other two but he looks great in both. The shade of green is lurid and wonderful. The robot mode is menacing and detailed, the transformation is fluid and intuitive. The alt mode is smooth, the lack of extra paint in this mode works for this figure. The metallic silver on the back and the black treads and barrels contrast well with the green.

Overall these figures feel like cheapened, oversized Energon combiner limbs. While Swindle feels cheap, the other two are decent.

I get a real energon/armada vibe from these toys. After the intricate and fiddly panel alignment nightmares of the movie toys, and the ever shrinking Prime and generations toys, these simpler, bulkier figures are a nice throwback . Not something I'd want all my toys to be like, but something different for a change.

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2012, 08:13 PM
So I've gone and combined them into Bruticus now...
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Fall%20of%20Cybertron/focbruticus1.jpg
...very ordinary. (-_-)

FoC Bruticus isn't much more articulated than G1 Bruticus -- and by 2012 standards that's astoundingly disappointing. :( The gestalt parts are self contained, which is an improvement over Energon/Superlink Bruticus, but is something one would expect in a contemporary gestalt. The limbs aren't designed to be interchangeable either -- well, I suppose you could swap the legs around, but Blast Off has an in built right hand and Vortex with a left hand, so you can't really change the arms around. The landing skids on Vortex kinda get in the way of the left arm articulation and my Swindle doesn't lock in very strongly in leg mode and the front section is prone to unlatching. Onslaught's arms aren't very well concealed - rather they just tuck under the armpits. You can easily fold them out for that "Monstructor" look. :p

This toy offers about the same amount of play value as G1 Bruticus -- arguably less considering that the limbs don't interchange (although the self contained parts is a plus). But considering that there's a 26 year gap between the two toys, one would expect FoC Bruticus to offer a lot better play value than G1 Bruticus, not be on par with it. This toy pales in comparison with Beast Wars and Car Robot/RiD gestalts, and those toys came out 12-15 years ago. So while there's nothing really bad or terrible about Bruticus per se, there's nothing outstanding about it either. It's just a terribly underwhelming toy.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_shoulders.gif

christalcase
18th October 2012, 09:57 PM
...The limbs aren't designed to be interchangeable either -- well, I suppose you could swap the legs around, but Blast Off has an in built right hand and Vortex with a left hand, so you can't really change the arms around...

errrr... the limbs are interchangeable. Blast off has a separate thumb piece to fold down for left and right hands; Vortex's thumb is on a joint to flip it around each side to get left and right hands; Swindle has two sets of fists; Brawl uses either of his robot mode feet to simulate left and right thumbs. Plus, arms and legs are also interchangeable (check out the Wreckers combined mode which switches the arm and leg configurations around).

Personally, considering the compulsory reduction in mass and bulk, I think the designers did an okay job with the interchangeable limbs and passable game accuracy in their individual robot and vehicle modes. If you're going to get them, you might as well get the whole set as the combined mode is the biggest reason to get them in the first place, the figures contain too many flaws on their own with the central aim of combining.

I think if the designers didn't try and force elbow joints into the arms, then they won't be as dementedly elongated as they are now. It's not like you can pose him anyway (the hip joints are too weak causing him to fall down most of the time when you're trying for an action pose :(), so those normally proportioned straight rigid arms like G1 would work here (and arguably easier to design). Plus, the core robot really needed to be a Voyager classed figure. Either way, I think they're a good set, and quite fun to fiddle around with.

My personal favourite is to switch Blast-Off and Swindle, and leave Swindle in proper vehicle mode (no elbow joint) as well as shortening Vortex's arm, it makes the combined mode look much better and proportioned.

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th October 2012, 11:12 PM
Man, they look freakier than G2 colourations....

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2012, 11:53 PM
errrr... the limbs are interchangeable. Blast off has a separate thumb piece to fold down for left and right hands; Vortex's thumb is on a joint to flip it around each side to get left and right hands; Swindle has two sets of fists; Brawl uses either of his robot mode feet to simulate left and right thumbs. Plus, arms and legs are also interchangeable
Yes, you're absolutely right. I did notice the hands in Swindle when I was playing with him individually last night... slipped my mind when I was combining them into Bruticus tonight. Oops. :p

griffin
19th October 2012, 12:24 AM
It's sad to say that I think the packaging looks better than the actual toys.

liegeprime
19th October 2012, 12:25 AM
Well, I only found 2 at the local Kmart. Onslaught and Vortex. Packing wise - looks cheap, just like FOC Shocwave's... feels KO.

The toys.... well just looking at it even within the packaging... not so impressed... looks KOey:(... sigh Im still gonna get the rest but this is rather an underwhelming looking bunch. No wonder the heavy photoshopping :rolleyes:. They feel like $10 toys that are priced $23.

i_amtrunks
19th October 2012, 08:45 AM
It's sad to say that I think the packaging looks better than the actual toys.

I'd agree. The character art on the backing cards is fantastic, very vibrant. Swindle's in particular was very expressive.

I also like the tech stats box emulating the old G1 versions.

kup
19th October 2012, 11:58 AM
I would have gotten the Hasbro release if it had more sensible colors but since that didn't happen, I waited for the Japanese release which is closer to what I would have liked. Unfortunately, they decided to mark up the rrp price per figure making them not worth it, even with the nicer paint jobs due to the highly mediocre molds.

I wanted to buy this as I liked the FOC game take on Bruticus but utter mediocrity, silliness and price gauging has made me reconsider and instead I may just put the money aside for a superior 3rd party release or a more competent future Hasbro toy like MP-10.

How disappointing :(

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2012, 12:15 PM
I don't even get what these colours are meant to be. Are they meant to be G2?? If so... why does Vortex have Swindle's G2 colours and Swindle seems to have Onslaught's and Onslaught seems to have his G1 colours... and I don't know why Vortex is purple. :confused: Although Swindle's colours are kinda reminiscent of Binaltech Swindle... Brawl is the only one who seems to be sporting his proper G2 colours.

5FDP
19th October 2012, 01:06 PM
I don't even get what these colours are meant to be. Are they meant to be G2?? If so... why does Vortex have Swindle's G2 colours and Swindle seems to have Onslaught's and Onslaught seems to have his G1 colours... and I don't know why Vortex is purple. :confused: Although Swindle's colours are kinda reminiscent of Binaltech Swindle... Brawl is the only one who seems to be sporting his proper G2 colours.

That's an easy one, they had the paint application gun set to 'Whore' ;) :p

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kpwimzqJ3E1qz50ylo1_400.jpg

lcz128
19th October 2012, 04:05 PM
Looks like I'm a minority here, but I totally fell in love with how bright and garish and dayglo the colours are for bruticus.
Given the brief the designers got which is essentially 4 quadruple changers and a triple changer for the team I think they did a good job.

Also, when you play around with the transformation for the bruticus mode it can come out coming quite chunky and awesome. I have yet to track down how the other limbs look like when transformed into their alternate limb modes but I totally look forward to it. Given this is where TFs are at the moment (given oil prices, economy and all that stuff that place constraints on Tf development) they created some fun stuff. Which I reckon is how toys should be. Fun. (: I think some of us may have lost sight of that. :D
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/B136292A-9F0D-42B0-BFB1-4B844F3C6E52-10799-000008068C671A37.jpg

kup
19th October 2012, 07:26 PM

Looks like they just randomly did whatever cheap color they could find or they relied too much on the Walmart marketing computer on what would stand out from the shelf more.

I don't think there is any 'Transformers' related reason for the colors as it doesn't seem to be inspired by anything.

Stompy
19th October 2012, 09:14 PM
I think as a whole group this is actually quite good. Not great but good. Decent alt modes and the individual bot modes had some thought put into them.

Bruticus as a whole is not bad with my only complaints being the arms are too long and the flat torso. A bit of retransforming (as per lcz) above can yield great results. I wish they incorporated half of Vortex and Blast Off as part of the torso (the other half as the respective arms) to bulk it up a bit and would have produced shorter and proportionate arms.

I don't think this is worth the total price of 5 deluxes and certainly not worth it if you are after just a single figure from the group. All 5 together and it has a little bit of magic that was missing from the Power Core Combiners.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/FOCBruticus.jpg

Pose not as good as lcz's but pics are always great!

GoktimusPrime
21st October 2012, 01:26 AM
Hey guys, don't forget that Brawl's cannons are meant to lock into the two slots in leg mode. :)

Anyway, I tried recombining the limbs around. I found that Vortex isn't good as a leg... is there a better way to form a more stable foot? (I was playing w/ my toys outside, so I didn't have the instructions on me) -- I find that Blast Off works well as a foot and Swindle is better as an arm. Swindle as a leg bugs me because the front panel keeps disconnecting, but as an arm it doesn't need to connect. He's also not as "overlengthed" as Blast Off is when he's an arm. Brawl as an arm... he's okay, but I find his leg mode more solid. But there's nothing wrong with his arm mode as such. So yeah, so far I'm finding the best combination is Vortex and Swindle as arms, and Brawl and Blast Off as legs.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Fall%20of%20Cybertron/focbruticus2.jpg

Doubledealer
21st October 2012, 10:53 AM
On screen accuracy and aesthetics are key for me so I'll be leaving this one on the shelf. It does look fun though, like Fisher Price and Hasbro got together to make a combiner for kids just about to enter their teens. "I'm all grown up naow!" :rolleyes:

Ode to a Grasshopper
21st October 2012, 12:40 PM
I don't even get what these colours are meant to be. Are they meant to be G2?? If so... why does Vortex have Swindle's G2 colours and Swindle seems to have Onslaught's and Onslaught seems to have his G1 colours... and I don't know why Vortex is purple. :confused: Although Swindle's colours are kinda reminiscent of Binaltech Swindle... Brawl is the only one who seems to be sporting his proper G2 colours.Nope. (http://www.tomopop.com/return-to-the-90s-with-this-exclusive-g2-combaticon-set-25882.phtml):cool:
Apparently the colour scheme is (loosely) based on Energon Bruticus Maximus (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:Energon_Bruticus_Maximus_Toy.jpg).

griffin
21st October 2012, 03:41 PM
Energon Bruticus then... hmmm, at least we have a possible explanation to the odd choice of colours. Better than just "random because bright colours are eye-catching to the kids & parents".

SharkyMcShark
21st October 2012, 05:05 PM
I grabbed the cheaper G2 colour set pre order off Amazon but I've canned it off now.

The reduction in size and quality of Deluxes has really killed off my interest in main line retail releases

GoktimusPrime
21st October 2012, 06:13 PM
Nope. (http://www.tomopop.com/return-to-the-90s-with-this-exclusive-g2-combaticon-set-25882.phtml):cool:
Oh gawd... that looks AWFUL! It's G2 accurate, but awful! (cos G2 colours were awful! :p) A case of be careful what you wish for! ;)

Energon Bruticus then... hmmm, at least we have a possible explanation to the odd choice of colours. Better than just "random because bright colours are eye-catching to the kids & parents".
^agree.
Either way they're awful colours, but at least it makes sense now. :)

Ode to a Grasshopper
21st October 2012, 07:20 PM
Oh gawd... that looks AWFUL! It's G2 accurate, but awful! (cos G2 colours were awful! :p) A case of be careful what you wish for! ;)I like it. It's big, it's bold, it's sassy!:p

Polursine
24th October 2012, 09:06 PM
Hey guys, don't forget that Brawl's cannons are meant to lock into the two slots in leg mode. :)

Anyway, I tried recombining the limbs around. I found that Vortex isn't good as a leg... is there a better way to form a more stable foot? (I was playing w/ my toys outside, so I didn't have the instructions on me) -- I find that Blast Off works well as a foot and Swindle is better as an arm. Swindle as a leg bugs me because the front panel keeps disconnecting, but as an arm it doesn't need to connect. He's also not as "overlengthed" as Blast Off is when he's an arm. Brawl as an arm... he's okay, but I find his leg mode more solid. But there's nothing wrong with his arm mode as such. So yeah, so far I'm finding the best combination is Vortex and Swindle as arms, and Brawl and Blast Off as legs.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Fall%20of%20Cybertron/focbruticus2.jpg

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-feedback/27308550d1342390033-sdcc-bruticus-img_2589r.jpg

GoktimusPrime
24th October 2012, 09:34 PM
Cheers mate. :)

klystron
25th October 2012, 06:58 PM
I haven't received my G2 version yet (so I can't comment on the plastics) but I think the colours look great. Much better than the retail version.

But I would like to say that I choose to embrace the positives that FoC Bruticus brings. We get a combiner set made up of 5 individual figures (each with bot and alt modes). Plus each limb is interchangeable. And can be left or right arms! And the guns combine.
I'm stoked that Hasbro gave it a go. Sure there is room for improvement (there always is) but this could have been worse. For a start they could've not made it at all. Everyone would complain about that!
Are we asking a little too much for each figure to be "perfect?" Are we too jaded. Are our expectations too high? There never seems to be any "perfect" figures - usually there is always some flaw that fans pick up on.
I have figures that don't have all the articulation they could/should have. And they don't transform into an arm. Or a leg. Or combine with other figures. I can find a flaw with everyone of my figures. But I still love them and I'm glad that they were made.

/rant

BigTransformerTrev
25th October 2012, 09:57 PM
I just got contacted by www.bigbadtoystore.com today that my G2 Bruticus set was finally in and getting ready to be shipped. It was $61 + $32 postage which means it still averages out at $18.60 per bot which is cheaper than the regular ones in the shops. Once I get it will look at the quality for myself and see if it warrants getting Swindle, Brawl & Onslaught from the shops who are at least remotely coloured like their G1 counterparts.

5FDP
26th October 2012, 07:58 AM
^ Ooooh... so online retailers are starting to receive stock :D Hopefully that'll mean RK should be emailing me soon too!

5FDP
29th October 2012, 09:22 AM
Finally saw these figs IRL on Saturday at Castle Towers Target - man, they look like crap :eek: Totally agree with people saying they look like cheap KO's. It goes without saying that I left them on the shelf.

1AZRAEL1
30th October 2012, 08:28 AM
But I would like to say that I choose to embrace the positives that FoC Bruticus brings. We get a combiner set made up of 5 individual figures (each with bot and alt modes). Plus each limb is interchangeable. And can be left or right arms! And the guns combine.
I'm stoked that Hasbro gave it a go. Sure there is room for improvement (there always is) but this could have been worse. For a start they could've not made it at all. Everyone would complain about that!
Are we asking a little too much for each figure to be "perfect?" Are we too jaded. Are our expectations too high? There never seems to be any "perfect" figures - usually there is always some flaw that fans pick up on.
I have figures that don't have all the articulation they could/should have. And they don't transform into an arm. Or a leg. Or combine with other figures. I can find a flaw with everyone of my figures. But I still love them and I'm glad that they were made.

/rant

Well said. I for one cannot wait to get my 2 sets of these when they come in (G2 and United) and I am still tempted to pick up the Hasbro release if I can find them in store locally. Because Penrith sucks for anything new.

nyerk
1st November 2012, 05:58 PM
Ok, this guy actually looks pretty great when you transform him a certain way.

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8544/img20121101144833.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/img20121101144833.jpg/)

Much better than that lanky monstrosity seen in all the official pics!

SharkyMcShark
1st November 2012, 06:23 PM
You've succeeded in inflicting on me a slight pang of regret at cancelling my preorder.

klystron
2nd November 2012, 11:49 PM
Well said. I for one cannot wait to get my 2 sets of these when they come in (G2 and United) and I am still tempted to pick up the Hasbro release if I can find them in store locally. Because Penrith sucks for anything new.

Thanks man. Was starting to feel like Robinson Crusoe on that one...

@Nyerk: That looks awesome! Well played.

snazzbot 101
3rd November 2012, 12:19 AM
Not getting the hate on these guys at all. Sure I have no great connection to G2 and I haven't played the game, but these versions - as a whole - mesh.
There is nothing that makes me think they knock offs or are out of place amongst any other childrens toy lines - Ben 10 for instance.

These are solid - albiet comprised because they have to sell under $30 - combining toys. I look forward to building the rest of him, and I just might buy the United version too.

Which is the point isnt it?

Both Hasbro and Takara/Tomy are fully aware they are selling to different - but sometimes overlapping - markets.

kup
3rd November 2012, 01:47 AM

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/8544/img20121101144833.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/img20121101144833.jpg/)

lol like in Energon, it seems that Hasbro doesn't even know how to optimally combine it's own toys. That looks a lot better than the official configuration.

liegeprime
3rd November 2012, 06:15 AM

Kmart blacktown still has 1 full set as of yesterday 9pm. I had alook and bought the 3 more figures I needed, but yeah there was still a good 1 set to complete giant robot:p

VERT
3rd November 2012, 01:26 PM

Do you have a link or something on how to do this?:D

nyerk
4th November 2012, 12:36 AM
Do you have a link or something on how to do this?:D

I used this guide for the arms:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/655612-fall-cybertron-bruticus-alternate-transformation-guide.html

But for Onslaught I clicked the knees down to give him a lower stance like the original toy. Then I added Blast-Off's pistols and Vortex's sword guns to his back cannon to fill him out a bit more and make him look like he's bristling with armaments.

theheretic
4th November 2012, 04:22 PM
I used this guide for the arms:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/655612-fall-cybertron-bruticus-alternate-transformation-guide.html

But for Onslaught I clicked the knees down to give him a lower stance like the original toy. Then I added Blast-Off's pistols and Vortex's sword guns to his back cannon to fill him out a bit more and make him look like he's bristling with armaments.

This makes him look nice! Good find.

dirge
7th November 2012, 10:15 PM
I picked up the G2 version of this set; I'm pacing myself and have only taken one (Vortex) out of the packaging so far. I wanna do the "slowly collect the set & combine them all at the end" thing we used to do as kids.

I do find that while he's flawed, for a $20ish deluxe that has to form both an arm & a leg (with an integrated hand) while also fitting a game-defined look, I think he's a good effort. I do agree with the comments about the rotors on his arm in robot mode, but overall; I agree with klystron that expectations might be too high - in Vortex's case at least I'm happy.

For what it's worth I dislike Vortex's colour scheme on the other versions I've seen & only like the blue G2 colours. I'm not sure if I'll feel the same about Swindle (I never liked his G2 colours), but I guess I'll find out later!

1AZRAEL1
7th November 2012, 10:31 PM
Kmart blacktown still has 1 full set as of yesterday 9pm. I had alook and bought the 3 more figures I needed, but yeah there was still a good 1 set to complete giant robot:p

kmart Perth finally got a set, so its on layby til i get paid Friday lol

5FDP
8th November 2012, 08:37 AM
Saw the G2 set IRL at my local TRU yesterday (they had two there) and must admit that they look a lot nicer than the mass-retail version. Still, I left both of them on the shelf and I'm glad that I cancelled my Amazon order.

I would only buy these toys if I found the SDCC ones (or even Takara) at a reasonable price e.g. under $120 :rolleyes:

Sam
8th November 2012, 10:39 PM
I decided not to get these because the arms of the individual figures looked very ... snappable, and overall I did not feel they would be worth my money.

1AZRAEL1
8th November 2012, 11:57 PM
Anyone notice that Vortex's instructions has Whirl's head?

kup
10th November 2012, 03:19 PM
OMG, I just had a play with the G2 version of this set and they are as cheap as sh*t!

Plastic feels KO quality or near, designs are mediocre at best with a lot of lazy shortcuts that compromise the figure. Very poor effort overall and it has really killed any ideas I had of getting the game colored accurate version since this molds are not even worth the relatively cheaper price of the G2 set.

It's not that I have been spoiled by higher quality 3rd party stuff, these guys are crap even by Hasbro's own standards of just a f few years ago. Even the Energon combiners have better built and design value at an individual figure level. At least I like the new combiner ports, they seem more secure and innovative.

They were better in their cool G2 box! :D

kup
10th November 2012, 03:22 PM
Anyone notice that Vortex's instructions has Whirl's head?

I did but Whirl deserves better

Alpha Supreme
10th November 2012, 03:50 PM
That's for the Wreaker team repaints isn't it?

kup
10th November 2012, 04:04 PM
That's for the Wreaker team repaints isn't it?

Has to be.

1AZRAEL1
11th November 2012, 11:18 PM
Yea it'd have to be. Hasbro have done it before. I just noticed him, but the other's instructions have the correct head. I'll still buy the repaints I reckon.

kup
12th November 2012, 09:47 AM
Still, having a Classics Whirl is kind of cool although he would be a bit short for my liking. I am tempted by the Headrobots set.

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2012, 12:50 PM
OMG, I just had a play with the G2 version of this set and they are as cheap as sh*t!

Plastic feels KO quality or near, designs are mediocre at best with a lot of lazy shortcuts that compromise the figure. Very poor effort overall and it has really killed any ideas I had of getting the game colored accurate version since this molds are not even worth the relatively cheaper price of the G2 set.

It's not that I have been spoiled by higher quality 3rd party stuff, these guys are crap even by Hasbro's own standards of just a f few years ago. Even the Energon combiners have better built and design value at an individual figure level. At least I like the new combiner ports, they seem more secure and innovative.

They were better in their cool G2 box! :D
^totally agree. I don't even collect third party stuff, so from my POV, looking at it purely from Hasbro's own standards, these toys fall short. :( In hindsight I wish that I'd held out for the G2 set -- the limb-bots look nicer (not sure about Onslaught, his G2 colours have always sucked), nice box and works out cheaper than collecting the regular versions individually... but that ship has sailed for me, and I'm not about to buy ANOTHER version of what I consider to be a really ordinary set of toys, no matter how nice the colours are.

Sky Shadow
12th November 2012, 01:04 PM
I have Onslaught, Swindle and Vortex, but if I want the other two it'll cost me an arm and a leg.

:p

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2012, 01:15 PM
I have Onslaught, Swindle and Vortex, but if I want the other two it'll cost me an arm and a leg.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/ngsmoov_facepalmmegatron.jpg :p

Trent
12th November 2012, 08:12 PM
^totally agree. I don't even collect third party stuff, so from my POV, looking at it purely from Hasbro's own standards, these toys fall short. :( In hindsight I wish that I'd held out for the G2 set -- the limb-bots look nicer (not sure about Onslaught, his G2 colours have always sucked), nice box and works out cheaper than collecting the regular versions individually... but that ship has sailed for me, and I'm not about to buy ANOTHER version of what I consider to be a really ordinary set of toys, no matter how nice the colours are.

You're still keen though. I refuse to pay for 1 set of what is, according to the general consensus, a crap toy (or 5).

kup
13th November 2012, 10:12 AM
Bruticus is back on Amazon for $59 if anyone wants it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MCNI30/ref=s9_newr_gw_d47_g21_ir07?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1T1BZYH0T9DDMKMH4NG5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

You're still keen though. I refuse to pay for 1 set of what is, according to the general consensus, a crap toy (or 5).

What kills me more is that I do want the game colored set because I did like his appearance in the game. It's a shame that I can't justify it because it is so over priced for such crappy molds.

theheretic
13th November 2012, 02:05 PM
I received my G2 one and the standard generations one but haven't got either out of the packaging yet. I wonder if there is a difference in quality of plastic between the two sets. I can see why people are disappointed in the individual bots without getting them out but hopefully I'll be happy with them when I do release them.

griffin
13th November 2012, 02:21 PM
I was wondering when it would return to being in-stock at Amazon, if people were cancelling their pre-orders just to buy the local release here and from BBTS.

1AZRAEL1
13th November 2012, 03:10 PM
Still waiting on my amazon set. I can wait for it. I have the hasbro release now anyway.

Tetsuwan Convoy
13th November 2012, 09:12 PM
Yeha, I was looking at cancelling my order too, but since the local release is $100 and the amazon one is 60. I can wait.

Paulbot
14th November 2012, 08:53 PM
When I saw Blast Off in store I was surprised by his colour. It was a better shade than the pictures online have shown it IMHO. I'm happy to wait for the G2 Amazon set, but still unsure if I'll keep it when it arrives.

I did see all five in one store for the first time over the last weekend. That would have been my ideal way to buy them instead of running around. Hope the kids/collectors buying them invidiually have no trouble finding the whole set.

GoktimusPrime
14th November 2012, 09:27 PM
My local Kmart has HEAPS of all 5 Combaticons sitting there

Tetsuwan Convoy
15th November 2012, 10:52 PM
Saw my first lot of the five tonight. Shame I didn't have time to enjoy their garishness in all it glory as I had to go back to work.

klystron
17th November 2012, 11:54 PM
I'll just add some of my thoughts...

Firstly:

killer packaging. Almost a shame to open it.
Great G2 homage. I never ever ever considered the original G2 Bruticus due to colours etc. G1 was much better. So I kinda feel like I have a G2 one now.
The plastics feel like crap. Everyone was right on that one. Anything that is remotely tight feels as if I'm about to break it. Onslaught's gun already has stress marks around the smaller peg holes.
The fan Bruticus configs are much better than the package version. I disassembled mine immediately upon opening.

Onslaught:
Terrible alt mode. A real compromise. I get that its "cybertronian" and hence has a more utilitarian/military purpose as opposed to being all about disguise, but I doubt I'll ever love this.

However I don't mind bot mode at all. Arms are a bit funny (elbow ball joints pop out every time I touch him!), but I think he looks pretty nifty. Not a fan of his gun, which should be able to be attached to his back. Looks good with a G1 Onslaught gun. (I have a spare, might have to paint it black and issue it to him...)
I found him to be a right pain to transform due to tight joints.

http://i45.tinypic.com/f066vs.jpg

to be continued...

SharkyMcShark
18th November 2012, 02:37 AM
Saw the 5 pack at a TRU today for $100.

Wasn't tempted in the slightest.

Sky Shadow
18th November 2012, 10:05 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/f066vs.jpg

That looks great, Klystron. For people who want an original G2 Onlaught rifle to do this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-G2-Transformers-Combaticon-Onslaught-Gun-/150238839820?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item22faeec40c

klystron
18th November 2012, 09:35 PM
Next up...

Vortex:
OK, I'm not ashamed to say I love this figure. I still havent got to the other 3 this weekend, coz I've been busy with Vortex. Big fan of both modes. Helicopter is not too earthy looking; with a bit of a insect asthetic. Bot mode looks a lot more complete than Onslaught. Good joints and pose-ability. Even the transformation is good (goes together better than Onslaught). Only real downside for me is the rotor blades being stuck on his wrist. Dumb. And the sword blades should have been painted silver, instead of being left purple.
I will even consider buying the Whirl version of this mould (if the colour scheme is ok).

http://i48.tinypic.com/2llzlef.jpg

To be continued...

kup
18th November 2012, 11:03 PM
Just so that I can have a Bruticus closer to the game colors, I bought a regular Swindle and Onslaught today at Parra.

I plan to try to improve them a bit with some paint.

Edit: Big mistake :(

klystron
22nd November 2012, 12:29 AM
Swindle
I didnt think I would like this one as much as I do. Being the weakest G1 Combaticon, my expectations were not high. But I was pleasantly surprised. Decent bot mode, although his apron/chest shield thing is a bit weird, it still works. Looks like he is missing rear armour. Good pose-ability, except for the head. Robot mode all pegs together very nicely. Alt mode is kinda "huh?" but again its not supposed to be an earth-based vehicle. So as a cybertronian wheeled thing, I guess its not too bad.
Overall, not as good as Vortex, but better than Onslaught.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2f0aeio.jpg

Bidoofdude
23rd November 2012, 07:28 PM
Why, Kup? They have the best paint jobs out of all of them. Brawl's is alright.

Eazy D
27th November 2012, 12:50 PM
My quick 2 cents on the Combaticons [1 have the mainline realease]

1. Swindle - Nice headscult but the robot mode seems flimsy and even the attack truck mode is very hollow
2. Vortex - Brittle plastic but I really like the transformation and think the attack chopper looks really cool and futuristic. I actually like how the rotos end up forming a sort of gauntlet. My favourite individual combaticon but the colour scheme is questionable
3. Blast off - Nice shuttle mode and the robot mode isn't bad. I liek the detailing on the thrusters and the way they form bad-ass shoulder pads. the black plastic hinge for the arms give me a heart attack every time I transform him becuase they seem incredibly fragile
4. Brawl - Great tank mode - futuristic and cool. Robot mode looks well proportioned from the front but I really don't like the kibble that hangs off his backside and the figure is poorly balanced becuase of this
5. Onslaught - respectable robot mode and forms a good torso for Bruticus. Missile truck mode is quite compromised though.

Bruticus
I really like him. I've even got used to the mainline fluoro colours. I respect that for a mainstream toy they have managed to engineer 5 individual robots with respectable bot modes, standard articulation and decent vehicles modes which can transform into a pretty good respresentation of Bruticus. Its all the more impressive that the feet and hands are self contained and all the limbs can either be an arm or a leg and can go on the left or right.

For me the greatest flaw is the plastic quality and the paint finish

I also respect the level of articulation on Bruticus

I must confess I will always be sympathetic to combiner toys as I got into G1 collecting because of the Gestalt teams. Given the improvement Bruticus is over the last mainline Combiners - the Energon Maximus toys - I am quite happy with the set

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th December 2012, 02:36 AM
I've come to the conclusion that I like them quite a bit. I got the G2 boxset from amazon. I'd feel less inclined to like them had I bought them individually at $25 a go I think.

As Bruticus, with a little tweaking, I think they look pretty good and the fact that all the parts are contained within is pretty impressive. He can be posed quite well, but sometimes the joints of Onslaught can be weak and he'll slide over.

The team members themselves are better than I thought they be (from reading this thread, I was expecting pretty awful toys). However the cheap thin plastic is instantly noticeable.

Swindle would be my fave, although he is far too large. but nice vehicle mode and the robot mode looks accurate as well.

Vortex is next on my fave list. Great future helicopter mode and his blades spin easily. Shame his weapons aren't little mini-guns though as the blades just look strange. My only complaint would be on one of his knees, the ridging of the knee doesn't connect to the nub that is supposed to provide the clicks, giving him a completely free swinging knee. Its also a shame the blades to move around to his back either. This was the way he was in the game and it was cool. As the toy is, they are in the way of his hand on the arm and don't even look cool as a weapon... I think a clever recolour would make an interesting Ransack. If the blades were on his back.

Brawl is next, mainly due to his sexy tank mode. Although it should have been bigger. I like this as it's also his WFC mode too. His head is nicely sculpted as well. the robot mode is a mess though. Without a doubt the worst of the lot. On mine, the feet are so loose, he can barely stand up. He looks all jumbly and crap from the back because there is just soo mich rubbish hanging off him. It's a bit sad. Good thing I like the tank so much.

Blast off is nice. Both vehicle and robot mode gets the job done, but I don't like the way his shoulder pads can't clip in anywhere. In shuttle mode, I like the many options you have for placing his guns!

Onslaught. Oh Onslaught you poor little fellow. My how you have down graded since the beast you were in WFC... I really liked that mode. this one. Um, yeah, What the Hell?? Vehicle mode is an ABOMNIATION! Bruticus' head just hangs out the back, the arms just fold up the top. Worst of all on mine, no matter how I try the gun just won't clip on to the arms to hide them head OR keep the arms in place. and the gun is a bit small as well. It should have been bigger to cover the HOLE in the back of this mode.

Its just horrible.

Robot mode is quite a bit better though, but I do hate how scrawny his forearms are. Good posing options as a commander style figure due to a slight tilt that can be done at the waist. From the back he is very hollow. Sad. Why can't I plug his cannon on his back Hasbro? this would cover the hole nicely in both vehicle AND robot mode. Plus once again, the cannon should have been bigger. As it is, it is too large for a hand gun and looks stupid. Too small for a shoulder mortar with nowhere to plug. Oh and he should be larger than a deluxe so as to add more bulk to the combined mode. The chest of Brusticus looks a tad skinny to my eye, and it would allow for strengthening of the joints as well, making an altogether sturdier gestalt.

So as individual bots they are hit and miss. none are really great, and all have some positives so they avoid becoming hated toys. :D But then they are mainly designed to form Bruticus and the individual bots is just a bit of a bonus really.

As it stands, i would only recommend these guys if you get all of them for Brusticus. On their own there are MUCH better figures out there. Even Swindle is merely an acceptable toy. but as Brusticus they look cool and as a group I think they look OK, in both vehicle and robot modes.

So its all or nothing I guess. Considering how these guys are, I'd like to see Hasbro give the combiners another crack, if these guys are considered a concept attempt at modern combiners, I think they have done all right. If they had a more uniform style of vehicle to work with for the next one, I think they could pull it off nicely. *cough*Menosaur*cough* Although I'd still like to see the chest/leader of the group be larger than a deluxe.

Some photos of group shots coz I can.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_0235_zpsb9310eb0.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_0239_zpsa155d440.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
8th December 2012, 02:48 AM
And here's my attempt at a Brawl gun emplacement mode.:D:cool:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_0241_zps944cfe80.jpg

SuspectimusPrime
8th December 2012, 08:11 PM
Brawl is next, mainly due to his sexy tank mode. Although it should have been bigger. I like this as it's also his WFC mode too. His head is nicely sculpted as well. the robot mode is a mess though. Without a doubt the worst of the lot. On mine, the feet are so loose, he can barely stand up. He looks all jumbly and crap from the back because there is just soo mich rubbish hanging off him. It's a bit sad. Good thing I like the tank so much.

I've got the same G2 version, and have experienced that exact same QC issue with Brawl's feet. His scaling is the most disappointing -- especially since he's meant to be the untameable bruiser of the lot, almost as disappointing as Onslaught's alt mode. I do like the upper body in robot mode, since he's the only Combaticon that does not have scrawny elbows.

Onslaught. Oh Onslaught you poor little fellow. My how you have down graded since the beast you were in WFC... I really liked that mode. this one. Um, yeah, What the Hell?? Vehicle mode is an ABOMNIATION! Bruticus' head just hangs out the back, the arms just fold up the top. Worst of all on mine, no matter how I try the gun just won't clip on to the arms to hide them head OR keep the arms in place. and the gun is a bit small as well. It should have been bigger to cover the HOLE in the back of this mode.

Same issue with attaching the gun onto G1-Kup's alt mode. It's also disappointing in that, even if the gun was attached properly in alt mode, it is constantly pointing at a 10 degree decline -- meaning that he cannot shoot straight, unless the enemy was between 20-30(?) metres in front of him (as seen in the SDCC version via Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/187/sdcc-onslaught-010.jpg)).

Bidoofdude
9th December 2012, 09:56 AM
Weird, Onslaught's alt mode looks like Kup's cybertronian vehicle mode (g1).
(Don't get any ideas Hasbro)

griffin
18th December 2012, 12:26 AM
I might retake the second photo, as I didn't realise the settings until after I uploaded the pics to my computer. If I do retake it, at least the Gen2 Bruticus won't take too long to re-assemble (I've already transformed it back into the individual robots).

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/855.jpg

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/856.jpg

Tetsuwan Convoy
18th December 2012, 12:50 AM
Liking the combined mode quite a bit. Having trouble finding a good config for the combined gun. It just looks kind of stupid if you join it together like the instructions. I guess the fact that the G2 one has funky colours for the gun anyway don't help much...

Impressed at pose options. Onslaught is definitely the weak link in this group. Even as Bruticus. His small body lacks beefiness and it a bit too gappy for my liking. plus the hips are too weak as well. He should have been a voyager with strong joints to hold the whole thing together better.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMG_0411_zps2fa2e828.jpg

From the back he looks hollow, but Brawl has great foot options, as you can turn the turret, which gives him an ankle swivel (almost). I like it and don't regret at all.

Would like to see more, but with a voyager leader character

SuspectimusPrime
18th December 2012, 01:37 AM
I might retake the second photo, as I didn't realise the settings until after I uploaded the pics to my computer. If I do retake it, at least the Gen2 Bruticus won't take too long to re-assemble (I've already transformed it back into the individual robots).

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/blog/855.jpg

Like that comparison shot, griffin. Thanks for sharing :)

Liking the combined mode quite a bit. Having trouble finding a good config for the combined gun. It just looks kind of stupid if you join it together like the instructions. I guess the fact that the G2 one has funky colours for the gun anyway don't help much...

Impressed at pose options. Onslaught is definitely the weak link in this group. Even as Bruticus. His small body lacks beefiness and it a bit too gappy for my liking. plus the hips are too weak as well. He should have been a voyager with strong joints to hold the whole thing together better.

*snip*

From the back he looks hollow, but Brawl has great foot options, as you can turn the turret, which gives him an ankle swivel (almost). I like it and don't regret at all.

Would like to see more, but with a voyager leader character

I find Onslaught to be quite sturdy despite his hollowness. Aside from the initial stress marks mentioned, I have not noticed any new ones forming. So the cause of QC issues might be in a rushed design rather than a fault from the assembly line(?). I think if the limbs were to forego the interchangeability gimmick, Bruticus may have produced a better looking combined mode. This would most likely mean giving up on a bad Wreckers combiner repaint, but that's still making up for 3 much better to great products.

griffin
20th December 2012, 05:27 AM
Just uploaded a better comparison photo, three posts up.

Iriorne
20th December 2012, 12:50 PM
Just uploaded a better comparison photo, three posts up.

You beat me to it! I've gone to all the trouble of taking a photo though, so I'm gonna post it anyway. :p

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/233731/OTCA/G2_bruticus_sm.jpg
Larger (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/233731/OTCA/G2_bruticus_sm.jpg)

I have something of a soft spot for G2 Bruticus as he was my only combiner and most awesome toy when I was young. Generally I'm pretty happy with FoC Bruticus despite his flaws. His official transformation looks a bit off but some strategic mis-transformation of his arms helps to shorten them and keep him from looking too top heavy. I've played around a bit more since I took the photo and by fiddling around with Vortex's arms it's possible to cover up some of the gaps in the body and bring the rotor shield a bit further to the front. Definitely a better look.

Colour wise, FoC G2 Bruticus is a reasonable match to the original. Blast Off and Swindle are near perfect and FoC Brawl is a slightly warmer shade of green. The most obvious differences are FoC Onslaught who is a noticeably cooler shade of yellow and Vortex who has turned baby-blue. The purple detailing looks like a good match too, though it's hard to tell as it seems to shift shade depending on the colour around it.

Having trouble finding a good config for the combined gun. It just looks kind of stupid if you join it together like the instructions.

This bugged me too, until I discovered the configuration in my picture above. If you twist Vortex's gun-blades so the pegs face outwards, the tops actually slip into a little notch in Brawl's gun. I'm still not really happy with it but I think it helps make the gun look a bit sturdier and integrated. The G2 rifle looks pretty good on FoC Bruticus as well and has the bonus of letting you move the combined gun into his left hand to hide the karate-chop hand. :)

Other options I've seen include sticking the Vortex's blades onto his skids and, optionally, flipping out his nose gun instead of his hand. I like your idea of putting the blades on the back cannon, too.

Bidoofdude
31st December 2012, 05:24 PM
I picked up Brawl today and I like him. He's fun to play with. Pew pew.
That green is really growing on me. I am really tempted to pick up Onslaught, Vortex and Blast Off.
(Still can't find Swindle)
The colours aren't as pastel-coloured in-person. They are actually quite controlled.
And yes, my Brawl's feet are a tad flimsy, making it hard for poses.
4/5. I like Brawl.

Mythirax
1st January 2013, 07:07 AM

I've tried so many ways to transformer this guy, and I must say, I love how you did it. Except for one thing, I've never been a fan of Blast Off looking like some skewed squiggly letter of the alphabet.

Here is just one of the ways I've mucked around with Blast Off, at an attempt to keep it straight and try to line up with the length of Vortex.

Every time I try to make Onslaughts wheels on his legs face forward, I never end up liking it in person. Yours however looks great in the photo.

Ignore my horrid camera:

http://i.imgur.com/whBvk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/OHuVe.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/G58Wf.jpg

[EDIT] Added a couple more, you've got me fiddling around with him now. I swapped arms, copied your back weapon setup and raised those onslaught shoulder spikes.

I tried to flip the thighs, so the wheels stuck outwards. But he just kept falling over on me.

And last but not least, I attempted to move around Vortex's top rotor, but it just ended up making Blast Off surprisngly, look to small :eek: :eek:

http://i.imgur.com/BArYD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/I1gfN.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
15th September 2014, 09:43 AM
I finally, after waiting years for him to drop in price, picked up the Tak/Tom version of Blast Off. So happy to have a Blast Off that is actually brown rather than purple (though I quite like my G2 coloured white one) :D

I just wish I has been able to find a grey Vortex that you could buy individually rather than having to buy a whole Bruiticus set. Couldn't justify to myself buying a 3rd lot of these figures :rolleyes: