PDA

View Full Version : Saintly's absence.

STL
28th June 2008, 11:47 PM
Just wondering, where is Saintly these days? Haven't heard a peep from him since Botcon.

GoktimusPrime
29th June 2008, 10:55 AM
He was at the last Sydney fan meet.

Yeah, way to introduce yourself Gok. *snap* "I HAVE YOUR SOUUUUULLLLLL" ... and then you ran away.
I don't remember that, but it sounds like something I'd do. :p :p

griffin
29th June 2008, 06:03 PM
Just wondering, where is Saintly these days? Haven't heard a peep from him since Botcon.

With the airline losing his botcon set of toys (and probably most of his Botcon acquisitions as well), he's finding it hard to interact with other fans at the moment, plus has other commitments as well tying him up.
It was a tragic loss, going all the way over there, having a great time, getting a full set of BC toys firsthand (without paying a fortune in second hand prices), and then the airline loses the box with all his BC toys. It really ruined a great weekend for him.
It would cost him over a grand to replace the toys now, and all the airline wants to pay him is $435.

Kyle
29th June 2008, 06:07 PM
:(

Which airline was it?

Saintly
29th June 2008, 06:11 PM
air new zealand...

however I have my suspicion on someone working on the checkin baggage security and the conveyor belt into the airplane.. because it never made it inside the plane

Pulse
29th June 2008, 06:17 PM
I thought that was the Schapelle Corby excuse? :)

roller
29th June 2008, 07:38 PM
curse those bad people in the world

if it was some no goodnick who stole them i hope he gets hit by a car and the ability to have kids is lost

autobreadticon
29th June 2008, 07:44 PM
great loss :(
i can only say that you had a once in a lifetime (not in Griffin's case) chance to travel overseas and enjoy good quality time with your son.

iceburn
29th June 2008, 08:05 PM
sorry to hear that Saintly
didnt know why until now after seeing the topic on your msn

Sam
29th June 2008, 08:06 PM
Man that sux, I feel for your loss.

1orion2many
29th June 2008, 08:17 PM
:(After a good holiday something like that can really leave a sour taste in your mouth, sorry to hear about it Saintly.

dirge
29th June 2008, 08:20 PM
Okay.

Let's pass the tin around. $435 from Air New Zealand, $xx from me (amount privately communicated to Saintly). Anyone else want to help Saintly recover his stuff? Pitch in what you can - if you want to. If not, that's fine (:

STL
29th June 2008, 09:51 PM
I didn''t recall starting a whole thread on this, did I? I didn't mean to publicly draw this much attention. It was more a casual question b/c I respect he's got other commitments.

(I'm sorry if I did but I didn't drink last night. I actually got home early b/c of soreness!)

And I'm very sorry to hear about Saintly's loss. It's very heartbreaking and I can only begin to imagine his frustration, disappointment and anger. That makes me very nervous all of a sudden myself next year. Best of luck, bud.

liegeprime
29th June 2008, 10:05 PM
435???!?!? thats it??? they loose a LOT of important stuff like that and that's all they pay for it??? ridiculous!! :mad::mad::mad:

GoktimusPrime
29th June 2008, 10:09 PM
I think we should pass a hat around at the next Syd meet. I'd pitch in something.

dirge
29th June 2008, 10:28 PM
What I'm actually suggesting is that anyone who'd like to help him out, contact Saintly and do what you can. Keep it anonymous so that noone feels pressured (which would be the case at the meet). PM him (or whatever) if you can help.

griffin
29th June 2008, 11:12 PM
Don't worry STL - I only set up a new topic from your post because I knew that people would respond to my reply to your posting. And I checked with Saintly before posting my reply, so he was okay with this.

roller
30th June 2008, 11:02 AM
New Zealanders!!! i knew it!!!

lcz128
30th June 2008, 05:51 PM
holy crap!? Really?! :( That's REALLY bad. I thought things were hunky dory since you guys returned from Botcon. But yeah- that REALLY sucks about how the stuff got lost. :( :( :( and really - 435 is weak. WEAK!

kup
30th June 2008, 07:06 PM
holy crap!? Really?! :( That's REALLY bad. I thought things were hunky dory since you guys returned from Botcon. But yeah- that REALLY sucks about how the stuff got lost. :( :( :( and really - 435 is weak. WEAK!

Yeah same.

WoW, Sorry for what happened. They should compensate you for a lot more. Show them the market prices on ebay.

griffin
1st July 2008, 12:34 AM
I think it would be something in their fine print. They are only offering compensation of $15 per kilo, and if your luggage was worth any more, it should have been insured. Actually, now that I think of it, this should have been covered in his travel insurance, that every travel agent makes you buy when booking overseas travel. I'll have to ask him about that one. Depending on the fine print of the policy, it should cover lost luggage up to its value, rather than a set price per kilo like the airline is offering.

Kyle
1st July 2008, 09:39 AM
Saintly should be compensated for more than just the market value of the toys. He'll have to spend time going through the hunting process again.

Pulse
1st July 2008, 10:22 AM
Saintly should be compensated for more than just the market value of the toys. He'll have to spend time going through the hunting process again.

As if Air Zealand would give a sh#t about a missing box of toys... :mad:

kup
1st July 2008, 11:30 AM
As if Air Zealand would give a sh#t about a missing box of toys... :mad:

It doesn't matter if its toys, gold or manure. They were responsible for it and lost it. They should pay for it.

iceburn
1st July 2008, 11:43 AM
i'm sure if there's travel insurance and that Saintly has receipt/proofs, he's sure to be refunded a certain amount. however, the $$ doesn't matter now as those toys are so precious to each and everyone of us.

jaydisc
1st July 2008, 07:43 PM
Boy is this ever a lesson to be learned to be sure I carry travel insurance if I'm going somewhere to buy goodies.

My great condolences Saintly. i hope you got insurance.

kurdt_the_goat
1st July 2008, 07:58 PM
I know it's not always possible, but whenever i travel with goods of value i make sure they're in my cabin luggage instead and still under lock and key. Problem is it can get a bit squishy in the cabin storage sometimes...

dirge
1st July 2008, 08:53 PM
I carry valuables in a carry on backpack, which goes under the seat in fron - and usually I step on one of the straps during flight. Not that I'm paranoid or anything!

Bartrim
1st July 2008, 09:03 PM
It doesn't matter if its toys, gold or manure.

I knew I should of insured that manure from my last holiday:mad::p

In all seriousness it is sad. Not sure about funds at the moment but I would like to be able to help.

griffin
2nd July 2008, 12:18 AM
I know it's not always possible, but whenever i travel with goods of value i make sure they're in my cabin luggage instead and still under lock and key. Problem is it can get a bit squishy in the cabin storage sometimes...

Most years I do try to do that, but recently those darn huge box-set boxes and 12-14 convention toys, makes it impossible to get everything into the carry-on bag now (in addition to all the stuff I buy while there).

And I usually do what dirge does - having it infront of me (under the seat) with a foot on some part of it to reassure me it is still there. It's also for security of what someone may slip into the bag (unsuspecting drug mule), as well as out of it, if you fall asleep and someone gets to your bag in the overhead compartment.

STL
2nd July 2008, 09:29 AM
And I usually do what dirge does - having it infront of me (under the seat) with a foot on some part of it to reassure me it is still there. It's also for security of what someone may slip into the bag (unsuspecting drug mule), as well as out of it, if you fall asleep and someone gets to your bag in the overhead compartment.

Man, I am too trusting. I know it's been a few years since I've flown internationally but the vibe sure has changed.

MV75
2nd July 2008, 09:42 AM
Most years I do try to do that, but recently those darn huge box-set boxes and 12-14 convention toys, makes it impossible to get everything into the carry-on bag now (in addition to all the stuff I buy while there).

Registered USPS? I still don't get why people don't do that.
________
Harley-davidson fxef (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Harley-Davidson_FXEF)

griffin
2nd July 2008, 12:01 PM
I think it is just the cost factor - you shouldn't have to be paying a fortune on posting back heavy boxes of toys, when your plane ticket has the cost of two items factored into it. But reliability is probably a necessary added expense these days.

Demonac
2nd July 2008, 01:09 PM
Last year, I had 3 pieces of 'carry on'.
A large backpack (most of the toys wrapped in clothing), a plastic bag (passports & other important docs), and the box set (which got its own seat for part of the flight). All the dirty clothing got posted back in a large box.

dirge
2nd July 2008, 06:55 PM
STL, I do the same for domestic flights. There are oppurtunists out there who will steal _anything_ given the chance, in the hope they get something valuable.

Robzy
2nd July 2008, 07:06 PM
I fly to Melbourne quite regularly, and I always take carry-on luggage (toys included)! It feels better to know that your stuff is there with you - plus you don't have to wait for ages at the luggage collection point!