PDA

View Full Version : Henkei vs Universe 2.0

lcz128
30th June 2008, 07:00 PM
Damn. On the one hand, I'm drooling over the new moulds. On the other, the paint apps/what look to be the paint apps and the beauty of chrome on the henkeis kill Universe's releases...
Case in point:
Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/toys/Universe+2-Classics+2/Autobots/ClassicsSunstreaker/Classics+Sunstreaker+Robot+15.jpg.html)

vs.
small blurry (http://fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/DSC00319.jpg) pics of (http://fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/DSC00320.jpg) Henkei Sunstreaker (http://fantofan.jp/news/event/toyshow2008/DSC00321.jpg%5B/SIZE)

Sorry... but the extreme plasticky-ness* of Hasbro's is REALLY killing me right now. :(

SO! Discuss please! :)

*note: topic poster may be spoilt by current minor obsession of repainting plasticky toys to look less plasticky and more 'cool' (koff CJ repaint (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1455) koff)

Zippo
30th June 2008, 07:02 PM
Oh definatly, the Henkei releases look so much nicer. Pitty its an extra 1-2 months wait

lcz128
30th June 2008, 07:10 PM
Zippo : :D True -

HRMM! By the by! Anyone know if Sideswipe will be getting a new head? :o

kurdt_the_goat
30th June 2008, 07:17 PM
Sunstreaker definitely seems to have a more orange-yellow than the Hasbro version... and after animated Bumblebee, that'd be enough to convince me to wait for him! I could go either way on the chrome spoilers, but the chrome guns, especially on Prowl look great.

The lack of chrome on the Sideswipe and Bluestreak in those photos makes me think they're Hasbro versions? I think they confirmed at Botcon that Sideswipe would have his own head.

Pulse
30th June 2008, 07:23 PM
HRMM! By the by! Anyone know if Sideswipe will be getting a new head? :o

There you go:

http://www.seibertron.com/images/events/99/r_universe125.jpg

jaydisc
30th June 2008, 09:10 PM
Universe 2 will be here much sooner.
Universe 2 will be much cheaper.
Henkei will be much nicer.

MV75
30th June 2008, 09:28 PM
I'm holding out for the Henkeis of these ones for sure. I'm getting tired of paying $25 for a toy with the quality of a toy for the price point of $10.

I think the only local things I'll get are the legends because as far as I know, they don't give the legends the henkei treatment.
________
R42 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R42)

Robzy
30th June 2008, 09:58 PM
I like the chrome (especially the guns)

I'll probably end up getting both! :rolleyes:

STL
30th June 2008, 10:04 PM
Is there only one of you ladies w/ an ounce of sense?

I'll [snip] end up getting both! :rolleyes:

:D

Pulse
30th June 2008, 11:10 PM
The only 4 Henkei figures on my list are Skywarp, T' Cracker, Powerglide & Silverbolt. The reason they're there is because they're significantly different & much more G1ish in their choice of threads then the crappy Classics incarnations of them. :)

lcz128
1st July 2008, 12:19 AM
but the chrome guns, especially on Prowl look great.
Wow- How embarassing - I thought that Prowl didn't come with those and was thinking of sourcing some from the g1 era -

I just hadn't noticed cause they were WHITE. >_>;

That said, am really excited about this mould :D

(And bloody likely to cave before the henkeis are released <_< )

STL
1st July 2008, 12:23 AM
(And bloody likely to cave before the henkeis are released <_< )

You make that sound like a bad thing. :p

Pulse
1st July 2008, 12:25 AM
Yeah but STL,
Won't you end up buying 4 of the same mould? (1 Classics sealed & 1 free together with 1 Henkei sealed & 1 free... :D)

STL
1st July 2008, 01:57 AM
Yeah but STL,
Won't you end up buying 4 of the same mould? (1 Classics sealed & 1 free together with 1 Henkei sealed & 1 free... :D)

Yeah but you're talking to a guy who currently has 7 Classics Skyfires. :p

Robzy
1st July 2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah but you're talking to a guy who currently has 7 Classics Skyfires. :pGeez! I hope you got some of them for only $20 at Myer! ;)

Kyle
1st July 2008, 01:47 PM
The only 4 Henkei figures on my list are Skywarp, T' Cracker, Powerglide & Silverbolt. The reason they're there is because they're significantly different & much more G1ish in their choice of threads then the crappy Classics incarnations of them. :)

You already have Henkei Megatron and Astrotrain?

STL
1st July 2008, 01:51 PM

He had them but he decided to donate them to my collection of spares. :p

jaydisc
1st July 2008, 01:52 PM

Yeah, they're the big two. There's very little difference with Skywarp and TC, and I can't find any difference with Silverbolt.

STL
1st July 2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, they're the big two. There's very little difference with Skywarp and TC, and I can't find any difference with Silverbolt.

Open your eyes!

(Lucky your not Asian or that could rub you the wrong way)

kurdt_the_goat
1st July 2008, 02:10 PM
Silverbolt is quite different! He has a more accurate red, gold chrome (i think), white forearms, thighs and head piece, and best of all, none of the fluro orange...

http://www.post-chan.com/product_image/TTM319924/main.jpg

http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=6079

Robzy
1st July 2008, 02:11 PM
Wow - that does look a lot better!

STL
1st July 2008, 02:19 PM
Silverbolt is quite different! He has a more accurate red, gold chrome (i think), white forearms, thighs and head piece, and best of all, none of the fluro orange...

See, Kurdt's useful. Me? I'm not sure what I am.

kup
1st July 2008, 02:25 PM
Now does everyone agree that Aaron Archer sucks? :p

STL
1st July 2008, 02:27 PM
Now does everyone agree that Aaron Archer sucks? :p

:confused: Was that ever in doubt? :p

MV75
1st July 2008, 03:55 PM
And don't forget the glaringly obvious, the jet is white, not grey. ;)
________
BABI MAC (http://twitter.com/SwiperboyzBabiM)

kup
1st July 2008, 04:23 PM
My take Classics vs Henkei:

Hot Rod:

I consider both Henkei and Hasbro version equally good because although I prefer the flame decals on Henkei to Hasbro's I don't like the Chrome Orange on the back fin and prefer Hasbro's non chrome. To compensate for this and get the best of both worlds I ordered reprolabels and 'upgraded' my Classics Hot Rod.

Jetfire

I prefer Hasbro's version. Henkei is also good but I don't like how its lacking Autobot symbols on the wings and the cockpit has been painted over. Sure Henkei is more cartoon accurate but I prefer the looks of Hasbro.

Astrotrain

I prefer the Henkei version MUCH MORE than the crappy Hasbro Version. This figure suffers from Archer's half a$$ed attempt at realism in which he compromises the character's colors for it but still adds stupid unrealistic purple color details killing the realism anyway. The same thing happened with Universe Powerglide.

Optimus Prime

Both the Hasbro version and Henkei's are very well done. However I prefer Henkei due to the chrome and more accurate G1 colors.

Megatron

I don't need to explain this unless there is someone in this Universe who actually prefers the Hasbro version.

Bumblebee

This is strictly a matter of taste as both versions are good. I don't like the Henkei Lemony yellow on Bumblebee nor the chromed rear spoiler. I prefer Hasbro's version.

Mirage

Both versions are almost equally good but I prefer the Henkei one a little bit more due to its G1 accuracy but not enough to get another. To compensate for this I ordered Reprolabels and upgraded Classics Mirage same as I did Hot Rod.

Starscream

Starscream's color scheme is very good on the Hasbro version but the quality of the paint and application is down right horrible. It has cheap ass paint, poor QC and has silver parts lazyly left unpainted with exposed gray plastic that looks more translucent than silver. Henkei is much better done, almost the same color scheme but they bothered to paint the figure properly and is MUCH more superior to Classics. The only thing that I prefer from the Classics version of Starscream is the Blue nosecone.

Ramjet

I prefer the Hasbro version much more than Henkei. I just like the wings paint detailing on Hasbro's better.

Henkei 2.0/Universe

Silverbolt:

Henkei has properly painted white without exposing the cheap a$$ gray plastic as the primary color like Hasbro's version. Chrome and solid reds are also nice as well as non stupid Hasbro fluro orange. What's the deal with fluro colors and Hasbro anyway??

Onslaught

Both the Henkei and Universe are SWAT vehicles and I hate that. However although Hasbro's seems good, I think that I prefer Henkei due to the more G1 accurate detailing.

Powerglide

Do I really need to explain? Just like Astrotrain, Hasbro's Powerglide is a half a$$ Archer attempt at realism by adding stupid colors like the Fluro orange lights ruining it. Damn that Archer. Henkei is red improving the figure's character tribute considerably and making it the better choice but it still sports the awful fluro orange although it no longer looks as bad due to the surrounding red. Its a bad mold for Powerglide but Henkei saves the tribute by making it red. However Henkei should of had the arms gray instead of red.

Sunstreaker

Properly painted and appropriate lemony yellow on Henkei. Chrome on engine block. Universe has that Animated Bumblebee cheap yellow and that awful unpainted gray plastic as 'silver'

Sideswipe

Unknown differences.

Prowl

Superior paint job and detailing but primary difference are the chromed missiles which Hasbro neglected to paint at all!!

The other releases are also unknown but likely to be superior to Hasbro as Archer has really forced the 'Cheap' stick on many of Hasbro's post movie releases.

All these figures appear to have superior paint jobs to Hasbro's and that includes tasteful chrome such as missiles for Prowl, engine block for Sunstreaker, etc. Powerglide is straight forward on why its better although I would have preferred gray arms.

1orion2many
1st July 2008, 04:40 PM
I don't care, whatever is easiest to get hold of as I'm lazy:p:D

kup
1st July 2008, 04:46 PM
I don't care, whatever is easiest to get hold of as I'm lazy:p:D

Yeah but with the exchange rate/Inflated aus prices making Henkei cost as much as Universe or less (including shipping) its really hard to pick up the clearly inferior Universe figures.

The thrill of picking up something off the shelf does not make up for the disappointment of realizing that I have bought a substandard figure once I take it home and open it. At least that's how it is for me.

STL
1st July 2008, 05:16 PM
Megatron

I don't need to explain this unless there is someone in this Universe who actually prefers the Hasbro version.

*Shoves Jaydisc forward*

Lord_Zed
1st July 2008, 07:21 PM
Its very hard to wait for the Henkei toys, though with luck I'll manage for the deluxe toys. The bigger ones I'm not so fussed over as I think the moulds are pretty average wahtever colours there in. Cheapest will do thanks.

My take Classics vs Henkei:

Astrotrain

I prefer the Henkei version MUCH MORE than the crappy Hasbro Version. This figure suffers from Archer's half a$$ed attempt at realism in which he compromises the character's colors for it but still adds stupid unrealistic purple color details killing the realism anyway. The same thing happened with Universe Powerglide.

Megatron

To be fair Classics Astrotrain does bear more resmeblance to his original toy versions, I don't think its fair to label him the same as Powerglide who is completely divergent from show and toy. Henkei Astrotrain is clearly way better though.

As for megs he's lame in both versions. The Grey one is clearly better but unfortunately he still turns into a nerf gun. Megatrons Purple and white colouscheme are his punishment for having such a silly altmode. But then again on the other hand if you painted him all black in gun mode he might look a bit like the gun from Blade Runner....

Hmmm...

PS: Universe Sunstreaker looks the same colour as a urinal cake in the photos linked above

jaydisc
1st July 2008, 08:32 PM
I think that Henkei Silverbolt pic is so over-exposed it's quite tough to judge what the actual colors will look like, but I seemingly stand corrected.

Regarding my favor for Hasbro Megs, I actually find the light gray and rich purple in robot mode to be very rich and dynamic, whereas the Henkei gray is quite flat, almost like Hasbro's Classics Starscream. Regardless of colors, I love the mold, even though it is a nerf gun: I love the transformation and find the robot mode to be the most childhood reminiscent representation of Megs yet. I didn't mind the colors because I was happy for it to be a reinvention.

kup
1st July 2008, 08:41 PM
I think that Henkei Silverbolt pic is so over-exposed it's quite tough to judge what the actual colors will look like, but I seemingly stand corrected.

Regarding my favor for Hasbro Megs, I actually find the light gray and rich purple in robot mode to be very rich and dynamic, whereas the Henkei gray is quite flat, almost like Hasbro's Classics Starscream. Regardless of colors, I love the mold, even though it is a nerf gun: I love the transformation and find the robot mode to be the most childhood reminiscent representation of Megs yet. I didn't mind the colors because I was happy for it to be a reinvention.

Mold wise I understand where you are coming from. The HasTak designers wanted to produce a figure that would evoke a nostalgic feel to G1 Megatron and to do that they felt the need to produce a gun Megatron. However due to all the over the top crap about gun laws in a world where you cannot even wear a T-shirt of robot wielding a Sci Fi one, they had to get it passed the beurocrats...So they chose the NERF gun...in bright fluro colors with Orange tips on top!

I appreciate the sentiment of the designers wanting to give fans a Gun Megatron and that is the only reason of why I defend the mold, sadly it is indeed still a Nerf gun..

Mighty Megatron's alt mode is a toy based on a toy gun :(

Like I said, I appreciate the sentiment behind the design but sadly, this was not the time to release a gun Megatron.

dirge
1st July 2008, 09:52 PM

Well, I'm glad someone likes it. :D

1orion2many
1st July 2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I'm glad someone likes it. :D

I like Hasbro Megs too:p:D.

Pulse
1st July 2008, 10:43 PM
He had them but he decided to donate them to my collection of spares. :p

Did I? Was that in a dream? :confused::D

Robzy
1st July 2008, 11:22 PM
I like Hasbro Megs too:p:D.Me too (but I do prefer Henkei Megs)... the mould is excellent! :D

kup
7th July 2008, 11:46 AM
My Henkei arrived so here is my finalized oppinion on the molds I got:

Megatron: Oppinion has not changed as Henkei colors are much more 'plain' but portray the G1 Megatron character much more effectively and actually makes an effort to hide the fact that the mold is a Nerf gun unlike the Hasbro Counterpart.

Optimus Prime: As mentioned before, he is more G1 accurate but overall its not really better that the Hasbro release, they are about on par so if you own one, its not worth getting another. The Henkei vehicle mode looks better due to the chrome but Hasbro's looks a bit better in robot mode thanks to the yellow highlights on the lower arms. However The red on Henkei is superior as its a blood red (like G1) rather than Hasbro's softer red.

Starscream: Jet modes are not much different although the plastic quality on Henkei is still much better than Hasbro's. Hasbro's however is much more colorful as Henkei went for a plainer but classier G1 accurate paint job. Aside from the Henkei superior plastic quality, the red paint job is more a matter of personal preference rather than inferior quality between the two. My only complain with Henkei is that they didn't paint the nosecon blue.

However this changes in robot mode with Starscream, wow! It changes indeed. The Henkei is infinitely better than he Hasbro version as the red is not fluro pinkish like Hasbro but a solid 'blood' red like the G1 toy. The painted wing detailing also looks much more classy in robot mode and the face is properly painted too. However what makes the robot mode look better than Hasbro's is not so much the paint job but the quality of the 'gray' plastic. Henkei doesn't have that cheap transparent look and looks more solid. Overall it doesn't really have much more paint apps than Hasbro's but it is much better applied. Henkei also bothered to pain tthe chest turbines a gun metal gray and the face which Hasbro fully neglected.

I have a couple of complains though but rather minor.

First: His face. Although the paint is very well applied, its a gun metal gray and therefore much Darker than the other Classics seekers which are a bright silver. Its not bad but it stands out next to them.

Second: To keep the black of his helmet from showing in Jet mode they neglected to paint certain areas such as bits and pieces of the front and bottom sides of the helmet as well as the back. I can understand not painting the back of the helmet but why the sides and the bottom bits? I painted them black myself and it doesn't impact the jet mode at all so I don't know.

Grimlock: My opinion has not changed, the Hasbro one is still the better portrayal of the character. Henkei Grimlock is WAY too shiny and has too much of a flashy look when he is supposed to be a 'rough and tough' character. I am keeping him MIC.

Overall Starscream and Megatron are the winners so if you decide to get any Henkei those are the ones to aim for.

Pulse
7th July 2008, 11:50 AM
& Astrotrain of course... :D

kup
7th July 2008, 11:55 AM
& Astrotrain of course... :D

Yeah him too :)

Robzy
7th July 2008, 12:18 PM
Henkei Astrotain is one of those figures that is 100 times better in different colours to the original! I simply can't explain it, but it just adds so much more value to the figure IMO (play value and display value) :)

kup
7th July 2008, 12:25 PM
I didn't include Astratrain in my last post because I had already covered him earlier since I got him like over a month before.