PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Ep 7 - early Movie news

ITZTRU
31st October 2012, 10:40 AM
Holy crap! Disney buys Lucasarts including Star Wars!

http://finance.ninemsn.com.au/newsbusiness/8556740/disney-buys-lucasfilm-new-star-wars-film-set

jazzcomp
31st October 2012, 10:42 AM
yup, heard it on the radio.

Stars Wars 7, 8 and 9 :)

i_amtrunks
31st October 2012, 11:26 AM
How does Disney have the $$$ to throw around? They've acquired Pixar (kind of), Marvel and now Lucasarts.

What next Nickelodeon?

This probably means the death of the clone wars cartoon too, or at least the darker undertones of the series. :rolleyes:

Ultra Mackness
31st October 2012, 12:49 PM
Can you imagine Mickey mouse waving a light saber around?

5FDP
31st October 2012, 01:06 PM
So... Leia is now a Disney Princess?

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2012, 01:12 PM
How does Disney have the $$$ to throw around? They've acquired Pixar (kind of), Marvel and now Lucasarts.

What next Nickelodeon?

This probably means the death of the clone wars cartoon too, or at least the darker undertones of the series. :rolleyes:
Disney released The Princess Mononoke in the West, and they kept the darkness of that film in tact (although they did release it under their Miramax name and not under the Disney logo). I hope they do that for Eps 7-9, cos there's a lot of dark stuff in that too.

Can you imagine Mickey mouse waving a light saber around?
Yes (http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/mickey.jpg) :)

So... Leia is now a Disney Princess?
Considering it's eps 7, 8 and 9 we'd also have Mara Jade Skywalker and Jaina Solo... and Qwi Xux just for good measure (what? They don't all have to be human, do they? :p) :D Throw in a Yuuzhan Vong chick if you wanna get nas-tee. :o

What I'm curious to see is... will they pronounce Xizor's name correctly! It should be said as "Shee-zor," and not "Zikk-zor." Yes... stuff like this keeps me up at night. :p :p

Sky Shadow
31st October 2012, 02:14 PM
Considering it's eps 7, 8 and 9 we'd also have Mara Jade Skywalker and Jaina Solo...

We don't know that, though - they could well throw out and throw off the Expanded Universe, like the prequels did (although even more so in this case, since at least the prequels clearly had to get to a certain point.) Personally, as long as Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are in it, I'm psyched for these sequels.

VERT
31st October 2012, 02:16 PM
Disney and Lucas have been partners for years. He is going to retire and someone has to take over. He has handed over star wars to one of his produces too. So episodes 7,8,9 are ago! Fingers crossed this will work out. It had to happen one day. He can't keep going forever and he got 4 billion for it too :-)

VERT
31st October 2012, 02:19 PM
We don't know that, though - they could well throw out and throw off the Expanded Universe, like the prequels did (although even more so in this case, since at least the prequels clearly had to get to a certain point.) Personally, as long as Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are in it, I'm psyched for these sequels.

They could jump the story into the future of the star wars univers and skip the books. Or the books won't matter. But my daughter wants Mara jade. It is her name sake after all.

griffin
31st October 2012, 02:25 PM
I think it will be difficult for Lucas to see this being taken over, but I guess he sees that he's not going to do much more with the franchise... and had to finally abandon his plans to build a filming studio near his house (which may have been part of his plan to do more Star Wars projects, but is now tainted... or just spitting the dummy).

If Disney wants to keep a darker, more mature feel to the Star Wars franchise, they have other labels they use (which they've done in the past), but it will be neutered a little to keep with their overall "brand recognition".

I wonder if Lucas will have any involvement at all in future projects, during its transition to a "new generation", or if he is just washing his hands of the whole thing now, and just complain from the sidelines as a "classic fan".

A new movie every two years... Hasbro will be happy with that if they keep the Star Wars license. They can alternate between Star Wars and Transformers Movie years.

jazzcomp
31st October 2012, 02:26 PM
Don't know if I heard correctly, they bought the rights for $4B. :eek:

SharkyMcShark
31st October 2012, 02:57 PM
Oh for the love of God...

The only thing approaching being considered good news (or not abysmal news really) coming out of this is a rumour that they're after Timothy Zahn to do the writing.

Trent
31st October 2012, 03:14 PM

The only thing approaching being considered good news (or not abysmal news really) coming out of this is a rumour that they're after Timothy Zahn to do the writing.

Yeah that would be good I suppose, but I can't see how they could make 3 more movies with the standard lineup. They're just too old. Harrison is 70, Carrie is 56 and Mark is 61 (Yes I am aware of how old Christopher Lee is but he was not the main character of the movies). They are way too old to be thrown into a sequel trilogy. I reckon they're gonna have to recast the characters, or focus the story around a different set of protagonists. And in either of those cases, the fandom will rage as hard As it can…:eek:

But I see it as a chance to go in a new direction with the franchise and I hope it is awesome.

SharkyMcShark
31st October 2012, 03:44 PM
Carrie Fisher looks and sounds a lot older than that too (I went to her live show when it came to Perth two years back)

Mark Hamill ‏@HamillHimself

Congratulations to George for today's mega-deal! Can't comment on Ep 7 before I have all the facts which are short supply right now-Patience

Get lost Mark.

Is this even real life?

i_amtrunks
31st October 2012, 03:47 PM
Just for the laughs, I'd love to see someone finance an episode 7 with the main cast in it! :D

Gouki
31st October 2012, 03:56 PM
Oh my god, the reactions to this news are pathetic (and I mean everywhere). Nothing changed for Marvel except the Avengers DVD has a Disney logo on it.

This will be the same damn thing. (Just like the reactions has the same damn complaints and the same damn jokes herpaderp mickey will be a jedi lolz).

I'm personally very excited, and would love to see a Star Wars movie direct by Brad Bird with Zahn writing. People complain Lucas needs to let go, and then when he does... he truly is the Hollywood definition of "can't win".

kurdt_the_goat
31st October 2012, 05:04 PM
I made these a few years ago for a photoshopping thread elsewhere... lol

http://i.imgur.com/HO7fJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LiCDC.jpg

On that note i'd be keen to see Hamil as long as he played it out like he did in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back!

SharkyMcShark
31st October 2012, 05:15 PM
Princess Leia is about 50 kg heavier than that now...

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2012, 05:21 PM
If they're going to use the original cast, it would actually make sense for them to set it after the expanded universe sequels, or toward the end. We'd miss stuff like the Vong Wars, but we could see the Star Wars universe as the New Republic is really taking off. Or they could just skip all that and go far far into the future with Cade Skywalker or even further than that.

Although... if they're actually going to call the new movies Episodes VII, VIII and IX, then I'd expect them to be direct sequels to the original trilogy - doesn't have to be straight after (Episode III occurs a good 20 years before Episode IV), but it should be directly linked somehow... because calling it Episode-- implies that it's a continuation of that same Star Wars saga, as opposed to being a new or different saga. JMO.

tron07
31st October 2012, 05:53 PM
Don't know if I heard correctly, they bought the rights for $4B. :eek:

They can make starwars-land and make a huge profit... imagine the rides, the toys they can sell, etc..... strom troopers walking around, etc :D

According to the books, Starwars 7-9 will about their kids, so it will be totally new, maybe the existing cast will do a cameo somewhere as other characters.

Gutsman Heavy
31st October 2012, 05:55 PM
The EU is horrible, hopefully they ignore that.

Trent
31st October 2012, 06:05 PM
Oh my god, the reactions to this news are pathetic (and I mean everywhere). Nothing changed for Marvel except the Avengers DVD has a Disney logo on it.

This will be the same damn thing. (Just like the reactions has the same damn complaints and the same damn jokes herpaderp mickey will be a jedi lolz).

I'm personally very excited, and would love to see a Star Wars movie direct by Brad Bird with Zahn writing. People complain Lucas needs to let go, and then when he does... he truly is the Hollywood definition of "can't win".

Calm down chum.

All people are doing here is having a bit of a joke and wondering out aloud about what direction this news will take the franchise in.

As I said I can't see how they can make more movies with the original cast. I see them as too old, I may be wrong, but I don't think so. Time will tell. I think it's a bit rough to call the responses in this thread pathetic. You may have encountered different responses elsewhere, but here they have been anything but nerd rage and hate. Mainly just idle curiousity/speculation and light humour.

I am pretty happy with this news. It brings 'a new hope' to star wars, so to speak. :D

Sky Shadow
31st October 2012, 06:51 PM
As I said I can't see how they can make more movies with the original cast. I see them as too old, I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

If they can digitally create aliens, they can digitally make three actors look younger.

Lord_Zed
31st October 2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah I really don't think this is a bad thing for the brand, Disney has bought Pixar, and Marvel already and both have been allowed to do their thing. The current CEO of Disney ain't no dope that's for sure.

If anything I wonder if a new Star Wars without Lucas might even be a good thing. They can get away from some of the limitations of a single persons vision.

As for the Seventh movie my Sith powers do foresee a lot of disappointed nerds, as I have doubt as to whether new films will draw much on the expanded universe. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, aside from Zahn's writing the whole ubber Deathstar wannabees and Emperor clones made some of the expansions feel like Mary Sue stories.

So anyone ready to muse at what the next film will be called?:rolleyes: Maybe.......

Star Wars Lucas Strikes Out

Star Wars Return of the Acting

Star Wars The Search for Plot

VERT
31st October 2012, 08:52 PM
They could still have Luke in it. He would now be the old Jedi master teaching the new Jedi order. :-)

Ode to a Grasshopper
31st October 2012, 09:15 PM
Can you imagine Mickey mouse waving a light saber around?I see Goki beat me to it, but still...
Funny you should mention that... (http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=MfB&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1525&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbnid=Kut8WEKQ9OvhyM:&imgrefurl=http://nerdapproved.com/toys/star-wars-is-my-kryptonite/attachment/jedi-mickey-mouse/&docid=0ZyEqzK7Erx0MM&imgurl=http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/jedi-mickey-mouse.jpg%253Fcb5e28&w=980&h=368&ei=wfWQUKaUGcv2mAWGw4CAAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=4&vpy=107&dur=779&hovh=137&hovw=367&tx=117&ty=52&sig=104784458542506266552&page=1&tbnh=123&tbnw=258&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,i:98)

The only thing approaching being considered good news (or not abysmal news really) coming out of this is a rumour that they're after Timothy Zahn to do the writing.That's pretty cool. IIRC Timothy Zahn was a good writer.

Anyway, I for one would love to see an aged Han Solo survive a Death Star blast hitting the planet he was on by hiding in a fridge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0upNuDNRSk).:D

Metallikato
31st October 2012, 09:16 PM
Hopefully all the aliens don't speak English in the new ones...

Anyway, I dont personally care that much, it's been years since I've had any real interest in SW. Although there's a pretty hot Star Wars themed burlesque show that plays around Newtown sometimes..

Tober
31st October 2012, 09:22 PM
Lucas is still a creative director.

At least we might see the original trilogy on blu-ray now.

How does Disney have the $$$ to throw around?

Revenue from the Disney Label Transformers.

Magnus
31st October 2012, 09:46 PM
Lucas is still a creative director.

At least we might see the original trilogy on blu-ray now.

I dunno... (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/30/fox-retain-rights-to-all-existing-star-wars-films/)

It's good that Lucas is still going to be a creative consultant for any new movies - it's only right that he still has some input, IMO.

It'll be interesting to see what direction the story for the next movie will take - original characters, descendants of the original characters, or even entirely new ones; following the EU, taking cues from it, or ignoring it altogether...

I'll throw in my 2c and say I hope Wedge Antilles is a major player. :cool:

kup
31st October 2012, 10:00 PM
I see it as a new beginning - A chance for things to get better while before with Lucas having full control, there was none.

Bidoofdude
31st October 2012, 10:05 PM
*crosses fingers* C'mon biker scouts. C'mon biker scouts.

Hursticon
31st October 2012, 10:28 PM
Well, Disney hasn't run Marvel into the ground yet, will patiently wait & see of what becomes of Lucas Arts.

Lord_Zed
31st October 2012, 11:56 PM
Well, Disney hasn't run Marvel into the ground yet, will patiently wait & see of what becomes of Lucas Arts.

Or Pixar, and they even made John Lasseter head creative adviser of the whole company.

I'm not sure why people fear Disney control so much, while their corporate acquisitions may be intimidating, they seem to have much more competent leadership nowadays than so many other major companies.

Hasbro and Mattel should be taking notes.:D

SuspectimusPrime
3rd November 2012, 03:29 AM
Either way, at least the proceeds will be going towards a good cause (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-deal-george-lucas-will-384947).

Alpha Supreme
18th July 2014, 01:38 PM
Have decided to avoid all articles relating to this movie... I don't want to know a thing about it before I go and see it. Does everybody think with the internet and trailers that show almost the entire movie, that it is hard to be surprised by something these days? I watched a couple of the Transformer trailers at the beginning and in that last week when they were coming thick and fast I didn't watch any of them... so I was surprised by SPOILER: Galvatron coming to life... although should have seen it coming.

UltraMarginal
18th July 2014, 02:02 PM
I have a friend who actively avoids spoilers for films, he was the only one at the midnight screening of Episode I who saw the double bladed Light Saber for the first time. so there is definite merit, though it is getting harder and harder.

I avoided a lot of the AOE trailers and watching them now I'm glad I did as I would have seen SPOILERS >> the block scatter transformation which I really didn't like. <<

It's doable, especially now there is more of a social awareness of not spoiling for others (this board tends to do a pretty good job of labelling spoiler content), but it's still very hard due to the amount of material out there. if you're not careful you'll see a spoileriffic tv spot turn up and play before you even have a chance to look away.

Alpha Supreme
18th July 2014, 02:09 PM
I avoided a lot of the AOE trailers and watching them now I'm glad I did as I would have seen SPOILERS >> the block scatter transformation which I really didn't like. <<

It's doable, especially now there is more of a social awareness of not spoiling for others (this board tends to do a pretty good job of labelling spoiler content), but it's still very hard due to the amount of material out there. if you're not careful you'll see a spoileriffic tv spot turn up and play before you even have a chance to look away.

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of that in the movie either but was unfortunately spoiled before seeing it so knew it was coming. I am actively going to do the same from now on... movie trailer embargo for me... which is difficult because I love watching the trailers.

Trent
18th July 2014, 08:01 PM
But the trailers help build the anticipation. Everyone knew that Darth Maul's lightsaber was coming and was hanging for it. Knowing about it (imo) took nothing away from the movie and actually added to the experience.

The problem comes when you have major plot twists/lines revealed and when the trailers show all the best bits :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2014, 12:56 AM
EPISODE VII TEASER SPOILERS AHEAD

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/spoileralert.jpg

I'm sure most of you have already seen the Episode VII teaser (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE). ;)

My quick thoughts:

* The logo on the X-Wing pilot's uniform looks... interesting. The one on his flight suit differs from the that of the Rebel Alliance (though also differs from the New Republic logo from SWEU), but the logo on his helmet is the same as the old Alliance's. I'm assuming that the Rebel Alliance no longer exists, since the Empire was defeated in Episode VI (thus they have nothing to rebel against). I would assume that they've reorganised themselves into something a new government like the New Republic, whether they actually use that name or not. But I would be surprised if they were still flying under their old name of being the 'Rebel Alliance.'

* TIE Fighters and Stormtroopers with new armour ... Imperial Remnant? Initially it struck me as odd that the IR would have access to R&D for new tech, but then again, even in SWEU we did see the IR with new technologies such as the Sun Crusher. Either way, it appears that the Alliance/Republic are working on getting rid of what remains of the Empire (at least those who refuse to stand down). Although the space marines could be Republic Stormtroopers. After all, they did start off as Republic Clone Troopers before Order 66 kicked in and made them Imps. And it's seems to be a given that the Fett clones are no longer around (at least not in sufficient numbers) by the name of the OT, let alone the Sequel Trilogy. Imperial Stormtroopers at the time of the OT were either regular enlisted troops or clones from other genetic stocks (apparently the Empire decided to use varied stocks after the Clone rebellion on Kamino (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kamino_uprising)). <shrugs>

* There's been a lot of flak over the cross-guard light sabre (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber). These kinds of sabres have been seen before in Star Wars (EU), although not quite so elaborate. The main criticism (http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2014/11/28/7303233/please-hire-me-jj) has been over the impracticality of having blazing hot plasma mini-blades as your cross guard. Sure, it's a valid criticism, but let's face it, a lot (if not all) of the exotic light sabre designs are terribly impractical IRL (but look damn cool! :D).
e.g.
+ Double-bladed light sabres. Who didn't go "Wwhhoooa!" when first seeing Darth Maul wield this in the Episode I trailer? ;) But IRL you're more likely to cut yourself open. :p
+ Curved-hilt light sabre. Curved-hilted swords actually did exist IRL, but they were principally used by mounted cavalry, as it afforded greater leverage for the cavalier. Count Dooku isn't seen (AFAIK) using this sabre from a mounted vehicle (e.g. speeder bike), and even if he did, the additional leverage is pretty needless on a light sabre considering that it can slice through thick steel and effortlessly go through bodies! :rolleyes:

One could also argue that the whole idea of a light sabre in the first place is rather impractical, as holding a searing hot blade in close proximity to your body poses various hazards. e.g. your own clothes or hair catching on fire, giving yourself instant sunburn etc. ;)

Trent
30th November 2014, 02:11 AM
One could also argue that the whole idea of a light sabre in the first place is rather impractical, as holding a searing hot blade in close proximity to your body poses various hazards. e.g. your own clothes or hair catching on fire, giving yourself instant sunburn etc.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/Wrxus/FAC3EBC5-7C72-4B6D-A11C-A81C51A18E88.jpg

;)

Krayt
30th November 2014, 07:44 AM
everything gok said

Way to hijack a thread about NOT looking at trailers.....

And from now on, never mention the EU again please.... Disney scrapped EVERYTHING!!!!!! Nothing is canon anymore :-(

CBratron
30th November 2014, 08:17 AM
I'm reserving my excitement. This was roughly the same level of hype that surrounded the prequels and I'm not going to build up my expectation only to be disappointed again by horrible scripting.

XMan
30th November 2014, 09:27 AM

And from now on, never mention the EU again please.... Disney scrapped EVERYTHING!!!!!! Nothing is canon anymore :-(

Then perhaps rename the thread to that and not simply Episode 7 :confused:

Agree with Gok, regarding the EU, yep, has been scrapped, though I'm sure they'll use some of it for at least aesthetics reasons instead of story.

There was some leaked concept art, I wont post it, but the wielder of the new lightsaber looks suspiciously like Darth Revan. Who knows.

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2014, 10:43 AM
Oops. It was late at night (nearly 01:00 my time) and I just did a quick search for the most relevant thread, and this came up. I have edited my last post to include a teaser spoiler warning.

XMan
30th November 2014, 10:45 AM
:rolleyes:

Gofigure
30th November 2014, 01:01 PM
So the word from disney is that all EU is now 'legends' or 'what if' kind of sucks in a way. There goes my 90's involvement in the universe :p

The trailer.....hmmmm......ummmm. I dug the xwings skimming across the water really dug that. And the Falcon. What a glorious shot. So old school with Ties chasing, shooting lasers.....oh crap. I'm in. I just got really excited!!!!

Bidoofdude
30th November 2014, 01:09 PM
I thought it was a comedy/parody at first, but it's actually the real deal. Looks pretty serious, I hope it's in line with the feel of the OT.

drifand
30th November 2014, 01:49 PM
Looking better than 1-2-3

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2014, 05:50 PM
It's easy to criticise the prequels in hindsight... I don't know about the rest of you, but in 1998 I was PUMPED to watch Episode I! The only thing I was skeptical on was the casting of Ewan MacGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi, because at the time the only other movie I'd seen him in was Trainspotting, and I couldn't imagine Ewan reprising Sir Alec Guiness' role as Kenobi. Thankfully I was proven wrong, and MacGregor played the part fantastically. :) So the one thing that I was skeptical on, proved to be a good thing, and the stuff that I am critical about now, was stuff that I didn't predict.

I'm just remaining neutral on Ep7; not too hyped (atm), but I'm not being cynical about it either. I'll judge it when I've seen it. I'll be happy if it's as good as Abrams' Trek movies, honestly. :o

Trent
30th November 2014, 07:31 PM
So the word from disney is that all EU is now 'legends' or 'what if' kind of sucks in a way. There goes my 90's involvement in the universe :p

The trailer.....hmmmm......ummmm. I dug the xwings skimming across the water really dug that. And the Falcon. What a glorious shot. So old school with Ties chasing, shooting lasers.....oh crap. I'm in. I just got really excited!!!!

Considering most of the EU sucked, I think that it's great. Also they wouldn't have wanted to be constrained by some of the absolutely stupid things some of the writers had done with some characters over the years.

And yes, the trailer was fully awesome :cool:

XMan
30th November 2014, 08:37 PM
If they ever made Old Republic movies they should definitely let Drew Karpyshyn write the scripts.

His novels are amazing, he has such a wealth of Star Wars knowledge.

VERT
1st December 2014, 12:12 AM
Me and my Family are extreme SW fans. Loved the EU but to tell the truth im glad its gone. Im sure they will pick and choose things from it though. My Daughters name is Mara jade. So she is the one sad that her character is gone.

So im expecting big changes. Han and Leia may have not gotten married. Their kids now may not exist. Or perhaps the new girl and guy are the kids.
Luke may have disappeared after jedi. The new jedi order may not have happened yet.
Time will tell
New Stormtroopers who are they working for?

Im happy to not know much this time around. I had a minor involvement in ep 2 while in Sydney and I found out to much while not even trying.

Im pumped for this. It will be a family holiday when it starts to go see it. Love that shot with the Falcon too. New DISH...Bloody Lando. Not a scratch :D

GoktimusPrime
1st December 2014, 12:45 AM
And fan made/modified versions of the trailers have surfaced. ;)

Lego version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpfWrh1scZU)
Crazy Lens Flare edition (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPuUiENIuPI)
George Lucas Special Edition (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng) <---I lost it after seeing what the X-Wing pilot does! :D

Also some fan-made parody images...
Football droid (https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1512803_10152495778297666_4435181927172062328_n.jp g?oh=d0fc3c28b4a98a62fd2cbfe5f6307d08&oe=55011A26)
Domo-kun Speeder (https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1925060_10152390585360951_8624404413141881088_n.jp g?oh=a0f201b62b873232abf565571f428811&oe=5503E5D3&__gda__=1426201731_940067a66b6f7f7c16f81ec4c3e5ec9 b)
Magnum ice cream speeder (https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10389555_741460135940136_3188076936053881629_n.jpg ?oh=f8aa53f06e566df6eced59558119a42e&oe=55182629&__gda__=1427103904_60420d1d5faf46ce7c8bac7f9689092 c)

Lint
1st December 2014, 09:03 AM
Me and my Family are extreme SW fans. Loved the EU but to tell the truth im glad its gone.

+1, while there is some drop dead awesome stuff in the EU there also a lot of garbage. However I really hope they do take inspiration from the better stuff.

philby
4th December 2014, 11:03 PM
EPISODE VII TEASER SPOILERS AHEAD

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/spoileralert.jpg

One could also argue that the whole idea of a light sabre in the first place is rather impractical, as holding a searing hot blade in close proximity to your body poses various hazards. e.g. your own clothes or hair catching on fire, giving yourself instant sunburn etc. ;)

my star wars nerd rating has probably dropped a bit over time but I thought I read somewhere that light sabres don't actually give off heat, just light?

GoktimusPrime
5th December 2014, 12:58 AM
my star wars nerd rating has probably dropped a bit over time but I thought I read somewhere that light sabres don't actually give off heat, just light?
The Star Wars wikia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber#Cutting_power) is in agreement with you. :) Interesting how it describes the blades as being "mass-less" (thus presumably weightless too?), yet in the movies the Jedi and Sith wield it as if they were quite heavy. In fact, Lucas was quite adamant in instructing actors to move as if the sabres were very heavy, with an "Excalibur" like quality. Perhaps the hilts are extremely heavy. :o ;)

Bartrim
5th December 2014, 04:16 PM
I thought lightsabers did give off heat. That's why there is no blood because the wounds are always cauterised instantly.

Paulbot
5th December 2014, 04:22 PM
When Qui-Gon was getting through the blast doors at the start of Ep1 sure looked like he was burning his way through them...

Trent
5th December 2014, 08:55 PM
I thought lightsabers did give off heat. That's why there is no blood because the wounds are always cauterised instantly.

When Qui-Gon was getting through the blast doors at the start of Ep1 sure looked like he was burning his way through them...

These.

How does a lightsaber cut then if it's not by using heat?:confused:

Hursticon
5th December 2014, 09:05 PM
These.

How does a lightsaber cut then if it's not by using heat?:confused:

Temporary Mass-Displacement?...

Personally I'm gonna run with heat. ;):cool:

lancalot
6th December 2014, 11:27 AM
isn't it like a laser....no heat is given off , but it burn things on contact...

Gutsman Heavy
6th December 2014, 01:46 PM
I wonder if I'm the only one who hopes for a Jar Jar cameo. Old fart Jar Jar being hassled by Gungan grand-kids or something "I hope mesa wasn't this annoying..."

GoktimusPrime
6th December 2014, 08:07 PM
Jar Jar's fate was already explained (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdS2kCUGvfo). ;)

Bidoofdude
8th December 2014, 11:44 PM
Jar Jar's fate was already explained (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdS2kCUGvfo). ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBAZGtBfcY4

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2015, 09:39 PM
I saw the TV ad for SW Ep VII this morning on Fuji TV! :eek: Those of you in Japan (or otherwise have access to Japanese TV outside of Japan) may want to keep your eyes peeled for this ad. Haven't seen it on any other channel yet (AU or JP). :o

SharkyMcShark
13th March 2015, 05:38 PM
First Star Wars spinoff confirmed as Rogue One.

Super excited for this, as a kid the starfighter combat was what drew me into Star Wars (> Han Solo > lightsabers).

griffin
13th March 2015, 05:43 PM
At Toyfair, Hasbro had a sealed off room with a security guard at the door, for their Star Wars toys and presentation... and they wouldn't let me in for a peak. :(

VERT
13th March 2015, 05:47 PM
Hey Griff I have some pics of some toys if your interested lol:D

Loving all the new SW news :D

Megatran
13th March 2015, 05:58 PM
At Toyfair, Hasbro had a sealed off room with a security guard at the door, for their Star Wars toys and presentation... and they wouldn't let me in for a peak. :(
Why didn't you wave your hand across the security guard's field of vision and say 'You'll let me through the door'. ;)

griffin
13th March 2015, 07:22 PM
I wasn't really that desperate to get in, as I wouldn't recognise or care about any new characters until I'd watched the movie... and if I saw classic characters on display it would probably spoil the movie for me, as I want to be excited about surprise cameos (like in Ep 1-3).

I just wanted to be able to say that I'd seen the toys, or maybe a promo clip from the movie. :p

SharkyMcShark
17th April 2015, 08:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Got a bit choked up by this.

It's 2015, we can admit that freely.

Handsprime
17th April 2015, 08:54 AM

I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but I hope the Hype actually leads to something good. Just remember, there was a lot of hype put towards the Phantom Menace, and look at how that ended up.

Then again, it was during an era where most blockbusters sucked

ITZTRU
17th April 2015, 09:48 AM

Omega Metro
17th April 2015, 10:57 AM
Can't wait for this new movie. Really hoping Lego will release a new Millennium Falcon to coincide with it:o:D

Golden Phoenix
17th April 2015, 11:37 AM
Can't wait for this new movie. Really hoping Lego will release a new Millennium Falcon to coincide with it:o:D

I can't seem them not doing so. I'm interested to see a new X-Wing though

UltraMarginal
17th April 2015, 11:54 AM
I saw trailer number 2 today on the news this morning, and then twice on my computer ;-)

It's a great voice over, kind of ironic that the first visually staring role that Mark Hamill has had in years and we haven't seen him yet, just heard his voice.

You can't help but be excited by this trailer, I hope they don't give too much away before the movie with any further trailers.

philby
17th April 2015, 03:46 PM

me too!
i've been replaying it all day haha

Hursticon
17th April 2015, 07:31 PM
I saw trailer number 2 today on the news this morning, and then twice on my computer ;-)

It's a great voice over...

You can't help but be excited by this trailer, I hope they don't give too much away before the movie with any further trailers.

100% Ditto on the above, totally looking forward to this and also hope the team bucks the present Hollywood trend of spoiling to stupid levels with trailers. ;)

I've read a number of people draw comparisons to the hype surrounding TPM, feeling let down afterwards; I actually thoroughly enjoy the prequels, sure there's bad scripting here & there along with Hayden Christensen's cardboard performance, but there is a lot of good stuff there otherwise and these new films have a completely different vigor, team & leader all benefitting from hindsight and I feel it is WAY the hell to early to even consider such similarities. :cool:

Can't wait to Xmas! :D

sideswipes brother
17th April 2015, 07:39 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but I hope the Hype actually leads to something good. Just remember, there was a lot of hype put towards the Phantom Menace, and look at how that ended up.

Then again, it was during an era where most blockbusters sucked

Remember, this one has no George Lucas involved....

kup
17th April 2015, 07:43 PM
Now this feels like a worthy successor to the original series! The trailers feel modern and exciting without sacrificing the tone of the original trilogy.

If only the prequel trilogy can be disregarded into an 'alternate universe' status...

Disney, I want my original trilogy on Bluray unaltered!

Hursticon
17th April 2015, 07:53 PM
Disney, I want my original trilogy on Bluray unaltered!

Abso-friggin'-lutely this! :D:cool:

griffin
17th April 2015, 08:21 PM
Complete with the original Ewok song at the end of ROTJ... ;)

Trent
17th April 2015, 10:30 PM
Yeah... I'm hyped :cool:

Hursticon
18th April 2015, 09:22 PM
Complete with the original Ewok song at the end of ROTJ... ;)

Mutha-F***in' "Yub Nub (https://youtu.be/DXpmunmG5ss)" FTW!!! :D:D:D

ITZTRU
18th April 2015, 09:34 PM
Mutha-F***in' "Yub Nub (https://youtu.be/DXpmunmG5ss)" FTW!!! :D:D:D

fkn lol

GoktimusPrime
18th April 2015, 10:37 PM
Is it just me, or does Chewbacca look younger? :eek: I would've like to see Chewie age a bit; maybe some grey fur. Or at least keep him just as scruffy looking as he was in the original trilogy. He just seems to... clean and shiny now! :eek:

VERT
19th April 2015, 12:29 AM
Chewie was like 200 years old in Jedi. So i doubt he would have aged that much in 30ish years.

janda the red
19th April 2015, 08:37 AM
Watching that preview makes me feel like I'm 5 years old again....

I'm just stoked that I'll be able to take my children to a Star Wars experience at the cinemas.

Excited would be an understatement! :D

Omega Metro
19th April 2015, 09:04 AM
Can't believe I have to wait til Christmas to see this:(

GoktimusPrime
19th April 2015, 12:09 PM
Chewie was like 200 years old in Jedi. So i doubt he would have aged that much in 30ish years.
Yeah but... to age backwards? :confused: Unless he just hadn't washed and shampooed during the entire original trilogy. Chewie must've discovered Thoréal (http://i.redsnapperverytasty.com/graphics/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/20131112-093250-500x336.jpg). Because he's worth it. ;)

Bidoofdude
19th April 2015, 01:00 PM
Trailer 2 looks really nice. Pumped.

Trent
19th April 2015, 04:16 PM
Yeah but... to age backwards? :confused: Unless he just hadn't washed and shampooed during the entire original trilogy. Chewie must've discovered Thoréal (http://i.redsnapperverytasty.com/graphics/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/20131112-093250-500x336.jpg). Because he's worth it. ;)

They were part of a rag-tag rebellion in the original trilogy. I imagine that these days he has more time to look after himself ;)

GoktimusPrime
19th April 2015, 05:00 PM
Perhaps Lumpy* ran away from home. Or at least that's what Chewie told the authorities. :p

-------------------------------
*he's actually even more annoying than Jar Jar Binks

VERT
20th April 2015, 12:30 AM
Back in his Rebel / Smuggling days yeah. Unwashed and living in the Falcon. He may have been living easy for a few years since then :) he has also had a few different looks in the past. Hair combed back ep 4. Bit more messy in 5. Centre part in his hair in 6. New washed and combed in 7. Old retired Han must brush him every day now :p

kup
20th April 2015, 09:45 AM
Is it just me, or does Chewbacca look younger? :eek: I would've like to see Chewie age a bit; maybe some grey fur. Or at least keep him just as scruffy looking as he was in the original trilogy. He just seems to... clean and shiny now! :eek:

How do you know that Wookies aren't long lived? I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a giant tortoise at age 70 and then 100 plus they are not completely covered in fur! :)

5FDP
20th April 2015, 09:58 AM

They were part of a rag-tag rebellion in the original trilogy. I imagine that these days he has more time to look after himself ;)

Back in his Rebel / Smuggling days yeah. Unwashed and living in the Falcon. He may have been living easy for a few years since then :) he has also had a few different looks in the past. Hair combed back ep 4. Bit more messy in 5. Centre part in his hair in 6. New washed and combed in 7. Old retired Han must brush him every day now :p

How do you know that Wookies aren't long lived? I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a giant tortoise at age 70 and then 100 plus they are not completely covered in fur! :)

LOL at this whole discussion about Chewie's hair :D Seriously, we got a kick-ass 2 min trailer and this is the main discussion point :rolleyes: :p

BigTransformerTrev
22nd April 2015, 08:56 PM
Trailer 2 looks really nice. Pumped.

Yeah - just saw it tonight. Freakin Solo is back - boo-yah!

Trent
22nd April 2015, 09:35 PM
Yeah - just saw it tonight. Freakin Solo is back - boo-yah!

Only seeing it now?? What rock have you been under?? :p