PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Magnus! Come Out! I'm Here! Come Meet Your Doooooooom!

Paul Agnew
5th November 2012, 03:33 PM
As the above title suggests in a totally subtle manner, the latest figure I wish to own is an Ultra Magnus.

But not any old Magnus, no siree.

The City Commander I'm hunting for is an Energon Ultra Magnus.

Yeah, that one.

The figure, much like Treadbolt and Rapid Run, fans tend to overlook when given the chance, but regret it once demand (and prices) soar on the secondary market.

"But Paul..." I hear you asking. "Why waste time and money on a repaint of a brick? Surely Overload is much easier and cheaper to find?"

Quite simple, to me at least.

Back at the start of 2005, I purchased an Armada Powerlinx Jetfire at K-Mart. Normally I would skip repaints, but I didn't have that figure at the time, and he was $15 on clearance. Interestingly enough, Predacon (a much smaller figure) was $20 on clearance. That didn't quite sound right at the time.

Anywho, the Jetfire was alright, but he needed an Optimus Prime to combine with. There was still one left at the store, but $88 was a hefty sum at the time for me. Needless to say, I wasn't getting a Powerlinx Prime.

Months pass, and by chance I find myself in a charity shop. While sifting through the basket of toys, I discover a Powerlinx Prime. Incredible! Why pay $88 when I can get him for $12?! So I threw down the money and triumphantly strolled out...

...And then I checked the package.

Sparkplug, the gun, and most of the trailer were present, but where was Prime himself? Dashing back in, I rummage through the toys, but to no avail. Deciding to play a risky gamble, it was decided to hoof it up the road to the other charity shop in some deluded logic it may have wound up there.

As it happened, I was right. Problem was, I end up 10 metres away, and to my horror, there's Powerlinx Prime rolling out the shop, in the hands of a very happy kid. :eek:

It's all very well for the kid to be happy with Powerlinx Prime, but what about me?! Now I'm stuck with a trailer and no Armada Prime to pull it. Oh the horror!

Years passed, until early 2012. Still I kept the trailer, and yeah it looked okay on the Cybertron Deluxe Prime, but it simply wasn't the same. At a local collectable fair I frequent, there was an Armada Prime. Sure it wasn't complete, or even the right colour, but I was happy to finally get a cab.

And then, as luck would have it, last week I finally bought a Powerlinx Prime cab.

With nearly a decade of searching over, I could put both Powerlinx figures together the way it was intended. But something was missing, however.

Ultra Magnus.

Anyone who owns an Armada Prime will vouch when I say his back in combined mode is rather off-putting. Seriously, it doesn't look quite right, and gives the impression he's quite a spineless warrior. Then again, that's what Overload is for; to fill the gap and give Prime even more firepower.

The problem is, to me at least, Armada Overload doesn't quite match the Powerlinx Prime/Jetfire combo colour-wise. It looks out of place with all the black and blue highlights, and was clearly intened to work better with the original red/while paintjob. Seeing as my Prime needs his back filled, and Overload not doing it for me, his repaint makes about as much sense as any.

=======

So there you have it. What I seek today is an Energon Ultra Magnus. He must come with the "Knockout" Mini-Con partner and both missiles. Space Mini-Cons are optional, but preferred.

Not that I'm expecting anything to come from this, but life is often stranger than fiction.

Deonasis
5th November 2012, 03:44 PM
Hi Paul,

I have been looking at this one myself: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=13480 because I think it looks cool.

You have a better reason so despite the suspended selling try putting your interest down.

Paul Agnew
30th May 2013, 01:40 PM
Hi Paul,

I have been looking at this one myself: http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=13480 because I think it looks cool.

You have a better reason so despite the suspended selling try putting your interest down.

No need to worry, Deonasis. At the May Parramatta Fair, the Ultra Magnus in question was bought at last... except without his Mini-Con Headmaster. So the hunt continues, only a little smaller. ;)