PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Non-G1 Legacy Transformers Ever (2012 Update.)

Sky Shadow
13th November 2012, 02:05 PM
Back in 2010, we Ozformers brainstormed a list (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8433) of the great non-G1 legacy Transformers. That is, characters who have made their mark on the Transformers universe and are not conspicuously named after or based on G1 characters. We came up with the following:

From retconned G1:

Drift and The Fallen.

From G2:

Jhiaxus.

From Beast Wars:

Dinobot, Waspinator, Rattrap, Tarantulas, Blackarachnia, Rhinox, Cheetor, Razorbeast, Airazor and Tigatron.

From Beast Machines:

Stryka.

From Robots In Disguise:

Sky-Byte and Side Burn

From the Unicron Trilogy:

Demolishor, Hot Shot and Vector Prime.

From Animated:

Bulkhead, Lockdown, Lugnut and Oil Slick.

And from the films:

Mudflap and Dispensor.

Since 2010, I think we've had some more. I would say Rung is by far the best character to be retconned into G1 ever, and deserves a place on this list. Similarly, should we add Pyro/Spark to the G2 section? Should we add Dirt Boss to Animated? Prime has introduced Airachnid, should she be up there? What about Robots In Disguise Tow-Line? What about Beast Machines Botanica? What about Alice from Revenge Of The Fallen (or is that just me)? :p

So, with a fresh mind and a new thread - who else do you think should be on this list? (Remember the rules: no G1 legacy characters. That means, no G1 names or G1 inspired names or characters - no Beast Wars Optimus Primal or Megatron. No RiD Scourge or Ultra Magnus. No Prime Breakdown or Skyquake. Got it? Okay, brainstorm away!

griffin
13th November 2012, 02:28 PM
TFPrime could be added to the list now too?

Sky Shadow
13th November 2012, 02:43 PM
TFPrime could be added to the list now too?

Yeah, I suggested Airachnid above. I hope Knock Out counts too, since not only is he memorable and unique, but I sincerely doubt he's a legacy version of G1 Knockout who was half of a Micromaster digger with no notable canonical appearances.

SuspectimusPrime
13th November 2012, 06:22 PM
What about Depth Charge from BW, Slipstream from Animated, or Blackout from the Movie?

* I mentioned Blackout from the Movie as that iteration of him had a visual legacy in Animated -- rather than the earlier Unicron Trilogy Blackouts, being a Minicon, a mindless Bruticus limb, or a Terrorcon drone that did a little bit more than being cannon fodder (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Blackout_(Terrorcon)).

Sky Shadow
13th November 2012, 07:07 PM
What about Depth Charge from BW, Slipstream from Animated, or Blackout from the Movie?

* I mentioned Blackout from the Movie as that iteration of him had a visual legacy in Animated -- rather than the earlier Unicron Trilogy Blackouts, being a Minicon, a mindless Bruticus limb, or a Terrorcon drone that did a little bit more than being cannon fodder (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Blackout_(Terrorcon)).

Sure! Particularly now that Slipstream and Depth Charge both have Collectors Club toys coming out next year. I can add them to the next update.

Ode to a Grasshopper
13th November 2012, 07:49 PM
I'll second Knock Out and Slipstream.

Trent
13th November 2012, 08:01 PM
I'll second Knock Out and Slipstream.

Yeah Knock Out is my Favourite prime TFP character, purely because of the sound sample they use for his engine noise. He sounds pretty awesome:cool:

theheretic
13th November 2012, 09:15 PM
Knockout is cool, but he's G1 legacy. TF Prime Soundwave is cool too and not even close in alt or bot mode to his G1 version, but we can't add him to the list.

i_amtrunks
13th November 2012, 11:16 PM
Knockout is cool, but he's G1 legacy. TF Prime Soundwave is cool too and not even close in alt or bot mode to his G1 version, but we can't add him to the list.

I'd say Soundwave's function is very similar to his G1 self. Knock-out however didn't even appear in the comics or tv show, doubt he can have a legacy.

I'd like to back Depth Charge, add Animated Black Arachnia as she was a BW legacy character, same for Animated Waspinator.

What about Animated Slipstream? Or even Sari? That one could be very contentious?

GoktimusPrime
13th November 2012, 11:19 PM
Knock Out is awesome! :D I also quite like:
+ Razorbeast
+ Team Bullet Train (CR/RiD)

I'd like to include Universe Overcharge if possible. I know he shares his name with the eHobby reissue of Diaclone Blitzwing... not sure if this counts. But even though Universe Overcharge is a repaint of a completely unremarkable Mini-Con, I really like the fact that he's a taxi! Such a rare occurrence for a Transformer alt mode!

Ode to a Grasshopper
14th November 2012, 12:17 AM
Knockout is cool, but he's G1 legacy. TF Prime Soundwave is cool too and not even close in alt or bot mode to his G1 version, but we can't add him to the list.Knockout VS Knock Out. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Knockout_%28disambiguation%29)
Technically he still counts.:p

theheretic
14th November 2012, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me?

Paul Agnew
14th November 2012, 08:52 AM
How about Beast Machines Tankor? :p

Ode to a Grasshopper
14th November 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me?Prime Knock Out technically (http://i.qkme.me/35p5ss.jpg) qualifies as a non-legacy character from G1 Knockout - the names are similar but technically different.
Seriously, don't worry about it - it was really just a semantics joke.

Kapryiath
14th November 2012, 09:54 AM
well technically no he doesn't , the names are different but similar. just like we cant have optimus primal , knock out, is still knockout :D

what about sideways from armada?

SuspectimusPrime
14th November 2012, 12:43 PM

If you want TF Prime Soundwave, then I want BW Rampage -- who only had a namesake but zero personality resemblance to the G1 Predacon :D

well technically no he doesn't , the names are different but similar. just like we cant have optimus primal , knock out, is still knockout :D

what about sideways from armada?

I quite liked the introduction of Sideways into Unicron Trilogy, he was interesting enough. Too bad his Movie appearance was only getting cut up sideways.

Sky Shadow
14th November 2012, 02:15 PM
Definite new additions so far:

Depth Charge,
Tankor,
Sideways (With hindsight, I'm surprised he wasn't already on this list,)
Slipstream.

Even though Knock Out and Blackout are controversial, I think they come close to not being G1 legacy characters, since it's name reuse of completely different G1 toys who had no notable history or canonical appearances.

(And Transformers Prime Soundwave is totally a legacy of G1 Soundwave - he has the same face design, works in communications and has a bird partner called Laserbeak who comes out of his chest.)

Possibles if people agree they're notable enough:

Team Bullet Train
Sari

Goki - Razorbeast is already on the list, and I'm pretty sure 99% of Transformers fans don't know who Universe Overcharge is. A taxi is a cool altmode though, and he's a concept that deserves some canonical development.

theheretic
14th November 2012, 03:27 PM
I wasn't seriously trying to get Prime SW on the list, just saiyan :-D I just realised that there are no new characters to come from WFC/FOC, unless I'm wrong? Would be a pretty cool idea to have an addon of side missions introducing a couple of bots from each side. Kind of like the addon a for GTA. While I'm wishing for things how about they add a print/order button to the character customization area. Select chassis, head, shoulders, arms, legs, weapons and then press ORDER for your new toy to be manufactured and mailed out to you.

A man can dream....

Bidoofdude
14th November 2012, 04:16 PM
Cybertron/Unicron trilogy Mudflap?

Bidoofdude
14th November 2012, 04:18 PM
Also,
Cybertron/UT Backstop and Crosswise.

Bidoofdude
14th November 2012, 04:20 PM
Wasn't dirt boss in Cybertron before animated?

Sky Shadow
14th November 2012, 04:48 PM
Wasn't dirt boss in Cybertron before animated?

There was a Dirt Boss in Cybertron, just as there was a Bulkhead. But their Animated equivalents were far more memorable.

Seraphim Prime
14th November 2012, 05:57 PM
Definite new additions so far:
Even though Knock Out and Blackout are controversial, I think they come close to not being G1 legacy characters, since it's name reuse of completely different G1 toys who had no notable history or canonical appearances.

The counter to that argument is that BW Inferno, BW Megatron, and BW Optimus also fit those descriptions, but have previously been considered invalid.

Sky Shadow
14th November 2012, 06:33 PM

The counter to that argument is that BW Inferno, BW Megatron, and BW Optimus also fit those descriptions, but have previously been considered invalid.

Except that G1 Inferno, Megatron and Optimus have notable history and canonical appearances - G1 Knockout and Blackout do not.

Paulbot
14th November 2012, 08:49 PM
I suggested Slipstream last time and you didn't agree, but now I'm thinking that maybe she doesn't fit the rules. Despite the Animated character and WFC/Prime cypher(s), she's still based on one solely on being a version of one of the most of the iconic of the G1 toys, with the colours of a repaint of another G1 toy.

I wonder if to be eligible for "Greatest" status, the character should be one that's lived on beyond their original series and been homaged or recreated in subsequent series/toylines the way G1 characters most often are? (So Bulkhead, Blackarachnia, The Fallen, Sky-Byte, Lockdown etc count but Drift, Mudflap, Razorbeast don't)

Sky Shadow
14th November 2012, 09:05 PM
I suggested Slipstream last time and you didn't agree, but now I'm thinking that maybe she doesn't fit the rules. Despite the Animated character and WFC/Prime cypher(s), she's still based on one solely on being a version of one of the most of the iconic of the G1 toys, with the colours of a repaint of another G1 toy.

I wonder if to be eligible for "Greatest" status, the character should be one that's lived on beyond their original series and been homaged or recreated in subsequent series/toylines the way G1 characters most often are? (So Bulkhead, Blackarachnia, The Fallen, Sky-Byte, Lockdown etc count but Drift, Mudflap, Razorbeast don't)

The Slipstream thing is true and I'd forgotten that. And the second bit might be right too - maybe we're need to split this into two different things:

1. Characters not mired in G1 who have made a mark, like Razorbeast.
2. Characters not mired in G1 who have started their own legacy, like Bulkhead.

(As Paulbot knows, the point of this originally was to see which popular characters and Transformer archetypes aren't G1-based, and who maybe the franchise should continue to focus on and develop rather than... like... Bumblebee.)

GoktimusPrime
14th November 2012, 09:23 PM
I'd like to nominate Cybertron Shortround. The extended toy bio states that he collects transforming robot toys... i.e. a Transformer who collects Transformers! =D

i_amtrunks
14th November 2012, 09:24 PM
On the back of Paulbot's thoughts, Slipstream was a poor offer, she did only have a small part to play and was only a fragment or characteristic of a character who was dripping in G1 legacy: Starscream.

Was there any reason the Build team (I know they had Grimlock and other names amongst them in the English dub) and the rail racer Car Robots combiners were overlooked? Not enough defining time in their series?

GoktimusPrime
14th November 2012, 09:32 PM
Was there any reason the Build team (I know they had Grimlock and other names amongst them in the English dub) and the rail racer Car Robots combiners were overlooked? Not enough defining time in their series?
Team Bullet Train's been mentioned. Good pick with the Buildmasters though, I do think they are definitely unique in their own right (and besides, their original Car Robot names weren't recycled G1 names :)).

i_amtrunks
14th November 2012, 10:08 PM
Team Bullet Train's been mentioned. Good pick with the Buildmasters though, I do think they are definitely unique in their own right (and besides, their original Car Robot names weren't recycled G1 names :)).

IMHO being the first two combiner teams since the G1 cartoon to appear in official media as repeat characters is pretty important. having the Build team be a young inexperienced team looking to prove themselves makes a point of difference as well.

Hursticon
14th November 2012, 11:08 PM
For me:

Barricade <- Movieverse.
Blackout <- Movieverse & Animated.
Botanica <- Though 'Rocklord-eque' in concept, well worthy.
Lockdown <- Animated & Movieverse.

BigTransformerTrev
16th November 2012, 01:11 PM
I think Slipstream could definetly be included. As well as Sunstorm and Acid Rain.

Acid Rain and Sunstorm were TECHNICALLY in the Gen 1 cartoon but Sunstorm was just one of a myriad of different coloured seekers to kill or fill in animation space in those first few episodes. He has no name or characterization to speak of. Similarly Acid Storm was the same, though slightly more noteable as still in Cybertronian form and performing a specific function. Now Sunstorm had a brilliant run in DW and a cameo in IDW (I thought he was wasted - would have loved to see him set up a 'Church of Primus' on the new Cybertron) and Acid Storm has appeared in IDW too. Also they both have numerous toys in other toy lines to their credit.

Slipstream appeared in Animated and also in the escalation mode of WFC and now has a special toy of her own too.

I think all 3 should be included. I'd love to see an IDW flashback mini-series of Starscream with his entire Seeker brigade! You could even put in that white guy from HFTD that was a recolour of ROTF Dirge (own the toy but cant remember his name right now but would be cool to include him as a 4th conehead).

BigTransformerTrev
16th November 2012, 02:39 PM
I think all 3 should be included. I'd love to see an IDW flashback mini-series of Starscream with his entire Seeker brigade! You could even put in that white guy from HFTD that was a recolour of ROTF Dirge (own the toy but cant remember his name right now but would be cool to include him as a 4th conehead).

Jetblade! That's the bugger!

SuspectimusPrime
16th November 2012, 03:55 PM
Jetblade! That's the bugger!

A little off topic :o:
Haven't opened that little guy, but I liked HftD Thrust enough to buy its recolour :) -- not interested in the original Autobot Breakaway figure, because with its hunchback that mould looks like it should suits Decepticon more.

GoktimusPrime
16th November 2012, 03:58 PM
Oooh, speaking of RetConned G1, I'd like to nominate Flip Sides. I really like the idea of a bright, bubbly and popular Autobot who's had access to Autobot secrets for centuries, all the while not even knowing herself that she's really a Decepticon sleeper agent! At any time her Autobot persona will "expire" and her original Decepticon persona will kick in, which will effectively "kill off" Autobot Flip Sides as she becomes her original Decepticon self again. It's much like that episode of Doctor Who when the Tenth Doctor used the Chameleon Arch to become John Smith, but in order for John Smith to become the Doctor again he knew that he would have to "sacrifice" himself and "die." With Flip Sides, she's like John Smith but with NO clue of this other personality that dwells within her who will at some unknown point in the future activate and "kill" her! :eek: And of course, I love the name -- both describing her 'secret duality' and the fact that she's a cassette tape. Insert Side B. :p

I also really like Gamede too. Yeah, I know he's not a Cybertronian... but I like how that character crosses over Transformers with Microman. :D