PDA

View Full Version : Animated toys and scale advice for King George IX

Borgeman
2nd July 2008, 12:16 AM
i saw those awesome pics in the artistic section and my mind is leaning me towards laybying some animated :rolleyes: that way i can prioritise on other things (MP04, classics) without spending money, and change my mind if need be :D

however, id only want one toy per character, so id like some input here on 2 things seperately:

1: Best mould for each character (no scale bias)

2: Best mould for each character to be in scale with each other

no activators please :)

George

jaydisc
2nd July 2008, 07:58 AM
Wait till Leaders AND Activators are released and come check 'em out in person.

Kyle
2nd July 2008, 08:01 AM
Animated is too nice. Sweet like candy. You'll end up getting multiple versions of the same character anyway...

iceburn
2nd July 2008, 08:13 AM
1: Best mould for each character (no scale bias)

2: Best mould for each character to be in scale with each other

no activators please :)

George

jay..the man says no activators....

so far, i've yet to had a go at all of the deluxes and we only have Wave 1 and 2 for most of us (while the few of us already have Wave 3 deluxes) so...

1. Bulkhead Voyager
2. Prowl Deluxe?

Kyle
2nd July 2008, 08:24 AM
King George IX, these photos should help:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00133.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/Kyle_Chow/TF%20Animated/DSC00126.jpg

http://www.hk-tf.com/hktfdocs/heero/animated/animated_autobots1.jpg

http://www.hk-tf.com/hktfdocs/heero/animated/animated_autobots2.jpg

http://www.hk-tf.com/hktfdocs/heero/animated/animated_decepticons1.jpg

TheDirtyDigger
2nd July 2008, 08:24 AM
I think q1 and q2 have the same answer. (although I haven't seen Voyager Prime irl.)
To create a nice cast...

Leader Megs
Leader Bulkhead
Voyager Prime
Voyager Starscream
Deluxe BA
Activator BB (I don't care after seeing Kyle's pics. Activator BB looks perfect))
Deluxe Prowl
Deluxe Ratchet
Deluxe Lockdown

i_amtrunks
2nd July 2008, 08:50 AM
Some figures are obvious as to whom to pick (deluxe Prowl Ratchet, Blackarachnia), as usual though it is the faction leaders who have the issues.

I'd easily say get Leader Megatron and Voyager Prime for their Earth modes, and perhaps get the vs. deluxe 2 pack for Cybertron Megatron, as well as the best Axe for Prime.

Personally I prefer Voyager Bulkhead over the Leader, mainly because the Leader version has far too many additional weapons that we never see Bulkhead have.

Have to agree with others, Activator Bumblebee may be a must buy, since the Deluxe version is so very weak.

iceburn
2nd July 2008, 08:53 AM
I think q1 and q2 have the same answer. (although I haven't seen Voyager Prime irl.)
To create a nice cast...

Leader Megs
Leader Bulkhead
Voyager Prime
Voyager Starscream
Deluxe BA
Activator BB (I don't care after seeing Kyle's pics. Activator BB looks perfect))
Deluxe Prowl
Deluxe Ratchet
Deluxe Lockdown

With the pics that Kyle provided, I feel that Deluxe Bumblebee should be more appropriate. the Activator is way too small...

I'm also kind of disappointed with Lugnut being a Voyager yet, his height can't be compared to a deluxe size figure! How upset can this be...

Pulse
2nd July 2008, 09:47 AM
Some of those group shots show glaring inconsistencies in the scale comparisons of Voyager Bulkhead, Activator Bumblebee & Voyager Lugnut.

Sure Leader Bulkhead & Deluxe Bumblebee seem to fit in very well to scale with their fellow 'Bots but one figure that definitely needs to be produced is Leader Lugnut (but I could definitely see him warming the shelves for a long time to come... :().

i_amtrunks
2nd July 2008, 10:34 AM
Some of those group shots show glaring inconsistencies in the scale comparisons of Voyager Bulkhead, Activator Bumblebee & Voyager Lugnut.

Sure Leader Bulkhead & Deluxe Bumblebee seem to fit in very well to scale with their fellow 'Bots but one figure that definitely needs to be produced is Leader Lugnut (but I could definitely see him warming the shelves for a long time to come... :().

Lugnut does not need a bigger toy, the Voyager class is pure awesomesauce as it is.
All a leader class verison would do is have annoying sounds and lights added.

It's not like scale is something that has ever been done right in any transformers line anyway, why start now?:p

Kyle
2nd July 2008, 10:38 AM
The problem with Animated (and many other series) is:
- If you have robot modes in scale then the vehicle modes would not be in scale.
- If you have vehicle modes in scale then the robot modes would not be in scale.

Kyle
2nd July 2008, 10:47 AM
And for the purpose of more scale comparison... :D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2627632251_6abfc0f1e2_b.jpg

Borgeman
2nd July 2008, 11:14 AM
thanks guys - i know scale was never going to be simple, but with different variations of toys and me only wanting one, id like a best fit scenario...:)

George

TF76
2nd July 2008, 11:26 AM
I’d say if you like the designs buy them all regardless of the size.

You can’t really loose, there fun to transform and you could displayed characters in both modes and some will also pair up nicely for mini displays/battles.

The vehicle designs are stylized and interesting so having 2 versions of core characters doesn’t seen to be a problem with me. I already have 2 versions of Earth prime and Cybertron Megatron (voyager and deluxe) and like them all.

Voyger prime is great with the other Autobots and seems like he will display well with leader Megatron. His robot mode also looks good with either or both deluxe cabs. Cybertron prime is also a good partner to Voyager Megatron, so that’s lots of options/fun already.

Leader bulkheads size seems to fit better with the other Autobots but the Voyager is nice in both modes and could be a partner to Lugnut or use to display him in both modes.

I can’t wait for leader bulkhead and Megatron and activators bumblebee.

kurdt_the_goat
2nd July 2008, 11:40 AM
If there weren't so many other toys i wanted, i'd probably do what TF76 suggested. It may be the case that when the sales hit, you'll be able to pick up the ones you don't want quite as much for a cheaper price. I opted for leader bulkhead (arrived today!) but if i saw a voyager for cheap later, i'd probably pick one up as well.

jaydisc
2nd July 2008, 03:56 PM
Kyle, that family pick is great!!! Especially Ratchet!

And, IMO, you've got as good a chance of getting a Leader Lugnut as you do of getting a Move Leader Bonecrusher. :p

Pulse
2nd July 2008, 05:32 PM
There were 3 Leader moulds in the Movie line - which sort-of means there will be 3 Leader moulds in the Animated line.

Maybe my reasoning is wwwwaaaaaaayyyy off... :p:D

jaydisc
2nd July 2008, 05:54 PM
There were 3 Leader moulds in the Movie line - which sort-of means there will be 3 Leader moulds in the Animated line.

Maybe my reasoning is wwwwaaaaaaayyyy off... :p:D

By your reasoning:

1. Earth Mode Megatron
2. Bulkhead
3. Ultra Magnus

Robzy
2nd July 2008, 06:44 PM
Nice pics Kyle! :)

To create a nice cast...

Leader Megs
Leader Bulkhead
Voyager Prime
Voyager Starscream
Deluxe BA
Deluxe Prowl
Deluxe Ratchet
Deluxe Lockdown
Great list!!

Personally I prefer Voyager Bulkhead over the Leader, mainly because the Leader version has far too many additional weapons that we never see Bulkhead have. Leader Bulkhead is still my preferred choice!

I'm also kind of disappointed with Lugnut being a Voyager yet, his height can't be compared to a deluxe size figure! How upset can this be...I was hoping they'd have a Leader Lugnut too! But if they don't, I can deal with it! My main problem was with Bulkhead, because part of his "character" is that he's a GIANT!

By your reasoning:

1. Earth Mode Megatron
2. Bulkhead
3. Ultra MagnusI think that's exactly how it's gonna be :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
2nd July 2008, 10:30 PM
The problem with Animated (and many other series) is:
- If you have robot modes in scale then the vehicle modes would not be in scale.
- If you have vehicle modes in scale then the robot modes would not be in scale.

The problem with Transformers is that the robot modes are never in scale and neither are the vehicle modes......

Whats a scale-fanatic to do? :p

Kyle
3rd July 2008, 01:53 AM
I have to say, I prefer how the Voyager Bulkhead looks compared to the Leader class one. Leader class one is still nice with better size, voice and Headmaster gimmick, but Voyager one just looks and feels so right (with the wrecking ball as well).

Gutsman Heavy
3rd July 2008, 11:42 AM
The voyager has more accurate proportions, its also the best animated fig I've seen!

autobreadticon
3rd July 2008, 04:56 PM
so no whecking ball grimick for leader bulkhead? ...

Pipesqueak
3rd July 2008, 05:43 PM
Personally I prefer Voyager Bulkhead over the Leader, mainly because the Leader version has far too many additional weapons that we never see Bulkhead have.

I don't understand this persistent criticism of leader Bulkhead having ''too many weapons''. Since when has too many weapons been a valid criticism of any transformer? Don't we love weapons??? To hell with show accuracy, give me guns!!!

kurdt_the_goat
3rd July 2008, 05:46 PM
I agree! If anything i think his extra weapons don't do enough, the ones on the side look more like bombs than guns, don't fire anything etc. The ball and chain though i would have liked to see rather than the saw.

Kyle
3rd July 2008, 06:15 PM
so no whecking ball grimick for leader bulkhead? ...

No. :(

i_amtrunks
4th July 2008, 09:30 AM
I don't understand this persistent criticism of leader Bulkhead having ''too many weapons''. Since when has too many weapons been a valid criticism of any transformer? Don't we love weapons??? To hell with show accuracy, give me guns!!!

Personally I prefer weapons that I can move around, or even give to another figure. The ones on Leader Bulkhead are stuck to the side of his alt mode, and don't really do much else than look a little odd.

Give me a set of Lockdown's "trophies" though and I'd be happy as a pig in mud.

liegeprime
4th July 2008, 04:31 PM
The problem with Transformers is that the robot modes are never in scale and neither are the vehicle modes......

Whats a scale-fanatic to do? :p

yeah thats why Im following TDDs list, saw Kyle's pic post and thought it was the best in scale a collector can get close to.... or feed them to the sharkticons!:D:D:D

iceburn
10th July 2008, 08:16 AM
hey..just read in the allspark forum that Animated Soundwave has some QC problems
http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48336&hl=

Ouch. I just noticed that Soundwave's roof stripes had started to crack like bad Transmetal chrome. Then I discovered that they smoothed right out when I rubbed them, leaving barely any sign of the breaks. Weird.

...and then I saw the blue paint all over my fingers and the multiple spots where the base paint had come right off off the edges of his roof.

It looks like his paint-over-clear parts are subject to the same gradual softening as some people's Prowls. That must have caused the lighter blue details to buckle a bit, but the base coat was soft enough to smooth them back down.

So ye few, ye proud, ye Soundwave-finders out there...

...be careful!

Kyle
10th July 2008, 08:12 PM
QC issue aside, Animated Soundwave is a very good toy. :p