PDA

View Full Version : eBay drops PayPal bid

Sam
3rd July 2008, 02:22 PM
"ONLINE auction website eBay has dropped its bid to use Australia as a guinea pig to trial a new policy where all other modes of payment are barred except its own transaction gateway, PayPal.

As a result, direct deposits, personal cheques and money orders will continue to exist as allowing all existing payment methods on eBay.com.au."

More here:
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23962517-15306,00.html

MV75
3rd July 2008, 02:28 PM
In a way we were a guinea pig. They found out that noone wants to be forced to use paypal without having to piss off all of their US/UK/China users.

So Ebay ultimately won.
________
1941 FORD (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/1941_Ford)

Burn
3rd July 2008, 03:19 PM
*points and laughs at E-Bay*

.... wait .... does that mean the ACCC actually won something? :eek:

i_amtrunks
3rd July 2008, 03:22 PM
*points and laughs at E-Bay*

.... wait .... does that mean the ACCC actually won something? :eek:

If so call me a doctor, I'm going into shock! :p

Fungal Infection
3rd July 2008, 04:11 PM
Awesome news. I was being slugged up to $10 per auction just to accept paypal payments which meant some items I just broken even on or lost a few dollars on even because I hadn't taken paypal's fees into consideration. Atleast now, I can remove the paypal option and insist on direct deposit for future payments. :)

Adzma
3rd July 2008, 04:32 PM
EBay subsequently said it would continue to fight for the safety benefits of the policy for consumers, despite the ACCC ruling.

The auction giant said it was willing to go to court to ensure that the PayPal policy was enforced.
Bloody eBay. It's got nothing to do with "safety benefits of the policy for consumers," it's simply because they want more money. If they do go to court I hope they fail miserably.

Golden Phoenix
3rd July 2008, 05:02 PM
Bloody eBay. It's got nothing to do with "safety benefits of the policy for consumers," it's simply because they want more money. If they do go to court I hope they fail miserably.

You are right. If it was then they would have already fixed alot of the problems. Look at the Nintendo DS listings. Swamped with cheap stuff that's no good.

Pulse
3rd July 2008, 05:48 PM
I've got a feeling that were gonna get punished through increased "sellers fees etc." in order to make up for Ebay's loss of extra profits... :(

jaydisc
3rd July 2008, 07:13 PM
eBay had recently discuss reducing listing fees and increasing final value fees in order to make it easier for sellers to list more items. Sellers liked this idea as it required less investment to list stock.