PDA

View Full Version : The score from the 80's Sunbow series

Ploughmans Lunch
4th December 2012, 01:25 PM
Not sure if I'll get much traction from anyone on this one, but felt it was worth a go.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the original backing/incidental music from the 1980's Sunbow Transformers series (and by the same token, G.I. Joe)? I have a feeling that it's one of those things that might just be lost in the ether and no one really knows where to go to get it. I mean, some have tried to do rips from older DVD sets, but often they're incomplete, had muffled out SFX/dialouge and just aren't the ticket.

So I guess what I'm asking is, for all those with giant TF brains- where? If not, why?

Thanks!

5FDP
4th December 2012, 01:40 PM
See here (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers_History_of_Music_1984-1990) :)

There has been no official release for the US Sunbow cartoon so I got stuck with the crappy rips also.

Ploughmans Lunch
4th December 2012, 02:02 PM
Forgot about that! Shame it's missing only the music I want :(

BigTransformerTrev
4th December 2012, 03:16 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you are after but a few years ago I found the CD Soundtrack to the 86 movie (which my wife has to endure every time we go for an interstate drive) which has a lot of the backing music to the movie as well as the main songs. It was at JB Hi-Fi so there still may be the odd copy lurking about. As for the music to the cartoon show, will keep an ear out for ya :)

Ploughmans Lunch
4th December 2012, 04:02 PM
I am gonna use an Ouija board to contact Johnny Douglas's soul and gain his wisdom+secrets!!!

UltraMarginal
5th December 2012, 10:00 PM
I'm not aware of anything, official, if you hunt around online you can find dubs whre people have edited out sound effects to get to the music but it;s all pretty rough.

it's one of the things on my to-do list if I ever win the lottery big, comission a reproduction of the original tv series score, as a proper orchestral recording. and release it on cd.

one day...

Ode to a Grasshopper
5th December 2012, 11:08 PM
Realistically speaking, for anyone with even half-decent musical abilities (i.e. not me) it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce it on a modern sound program. I imagine something like Reason could handle it easily.

kurdt_the_goat
6th December 2012, 12:41 AM
This youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am3U8Wmt9Cg&list=FLH-5QMVTq_-QQtZJEVaDPsw&index=4&feature=plpp_video) video has it in very clear quality. If you have a Mac you can easily record the audio into MP3 using Soundflower & Audacity as described here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FGOIW08gA). I'm sure there are Windows solutions as well but can't help you with that :)

Ploughmans Lunch
6th December 2012, 08:28 AM
Realistically speaking, for anyone with even half-decent musical abilities (i.e. not me) it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce it on a modern sound program. I imagine something like Reason could handle it easily.

There's a certain staleness that comes from that sort of thing. Anyone who could do it justice by that method hasn't the slightest bit of interest.